Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 brides!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

I completely agree with you Faith. And thank you, it's nice to hear such supportive advice.

And we definitley will be having loads of food, and because our wedding is at home, the booze is free (though we will only have wine/bubbles and beer).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,255 ✭✭✭✭fits

Totally agree with faith. Boards isn't a reflection of reality at all. I was questioning our whole destination wedding (in Ireland) thing, but the alternative - a local wedding- we just really did not want to do for what I think are very good reasons.

(black tie wouldn't bother me in the slightest either btw, I quite like it)

I am having an awful time picking invitations. Just can't decide. Feels ridiculous to be stuck on something so trivial.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭CBFi

All good points. You cant please everyone. Like fits, I was questioning our location. We're getting married in our venue, so we picked the best venue we can afford, which, is 35 mins from Dublin (where we live and the largest proportion of our guests live) but far from where either of our families are from.

Haven't heard any complaints but thread made me paranoid. Food and drink - they wont be short of!

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭CBFi

fits wrote: »
    I am having an awful time picking invitations. Just can't decide. Feels ridiculous to be stuck on something so trivial.

Maybe get your mum or OH to decide which of your choices to go with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Personally I found the thread hilarious, the unbelievable/odd things that were requested on invitations, down to being told where not to buy dresses, but over all it has just proven the point that you will never ever please everyone. Some people from when they get invites to weddings and such events, have a bee in their bonnet and are determined not to enjoy(giving out about everything while doing so!) So please don't anyone worry about what was in the thread!

I love black tie, love it! I think its so classy and who cares if some people don't do it "right". Even if it was just the bridal party(which I think is what we are opting for) it will be lovely!

There is going to be a lot of noses out of joint with regards to my wedding, location and a smallish guest list, but do you know something? Its our wedding day and we will have what we want/ can afford!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

fits wrote: »
    is

It is harder than it looks isn't it.. We had said right no way are we paying a fortune that I was making them, just going to get the pocketfold ones.. Could not find decant prices for them so started searching again..

maybe if you put a document together with all the ones you like and sit down with your man and pick ones ye like..

Then work from there, pick a theme or a colour ye want to go for etc..

I was all up for colour and fun and ended up with a kinda brown colour and I hate brown but it works

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

We got ours from Vistaprint, found a 40% off coupon code too just before we ordered too so saved a nice bit :)

Our invites are mostly navy and coral.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mslady

God I'm glad I'm not the only one that found that Wedding complaints thread depressing! I got so stressed out reading it that I had to walk away, there would have been tears otherwise. You've all made me feel SO much better about it all now though!

I hadn't a clue re invitations either but I started a pinterest board just for invites, and would dip in whenever I had 10 mins and just pinned anything I liked the look of. Then when you've a good few pinned, go in and look at the board as a whole - even if you dont think you know what you want, chances are there will be a definite pattern/trend of what you want! Ended up getting my bridesmaid to design them (she's handy with photoshop) based on 4 or 5 from pinterest and got them printed with Vistaprint.

We are already committed to minted as I bought a black Friday deal for credit to use against invites. Got a sample pack and they're all lovely. I just can't pick one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

I know how you feel. They are all so pretty that it would be nice to have one of them each. I designed our invites and printed them on vistaprint but i must have gone over and back trying to add in bits and pieces as i loved them all.

At first i had different designs for RSVP cars and accommodation cards as i loved so many designs. Eventually settled on one design and used that to create a suite.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭CorkClaire82

We're using Wedding Scribblers and they designed our invites for us. I think we are getting a good deal but then again we are willing to spend extra on the invites/booklets/table plan/table names as it'll feed into our theme. It's probably a crazy deal really :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

We bought invite templates from Etsy and are printing them up ourselves :). I'm probably going to add a few decorative bits to them to jazz them up, but it's a nice compromise between total DIY and paying for gorgeous premade ones.

That was something we were planning to do too and then thought with the printing the cost would come up.. Man going nuts we had kinda picked what we wanted but then last night looking at it I was like ohhh if im honest I don't like it.. back to the drawing board

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

I printed mine on vistaprint and for 100 invites, 30 invite samples (3 different paper types which i can use if i run out), 150 Rsvps and 150 accommodation cards i paid about €150 for them. THey came with white envelopes which i didn't like so i bought other ones for them but it was still very cost effective.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

After not giving a moment's thought to our wedding for 4 months, suddenly the change in year seems to have brought it all to the fore! I had my MOH asking me loads about a hen party earlier, another bridesmaid wanting to know about shipping over my wedding dress for fittings, we've started to look at flights home for it... It's all very real again suddenly!

It is mad how it creeps up isn't it..

Himself is kinda telling me I should relax as I want to get a few bits sorted by the end of month but I would prefer to have them done now rather than later.

Like drink we must get our own, but then the local bar may provide but I want to know at what price.. Just incase anyone is doing the same. We sussed out the duty free in Amsterdam and it is well worth it. €14.95 for 1ltr bottle of vodka, Bacardi, tequila, gin and you can bring 10ltrs per person. So it saves a good bit...

Then he said sure its only 7 months away and I was like crap how am I going to shift this weight by then.. Very scary...

When is yours Faith!!

Had my annual leave request approved for the week of the wedding there today, things are getting very real!

Also possibly the only person on this thread that's loving how weak the euro is at the moment - rate movements have dropped the price of our wedding for us nicely since we booked it :D 77p to the euro is crazy...

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mslady

I have my hair & makeup trial on Saturday and have booked an appt for dress alterations...3.5 months to go! I'm half beside myself with excitement, half stressed out - i feel like i'm forgetting things that need to be done! I was the same as you Faith - before Christmas I hadn't done a tap for months and now its all kicked into gear big time!

What are ye doing as bridesmaids/mammies presents?

I didn't realise that was A Thing until very recently! Probably Benefit sets for the girls and I have no idea what to get for the mammies...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

Faith wrote: »
    We bought invite templates from Etsy and are printing them up ourselves :). I'm probably going to add a few decorative bits to them to jazz them up, but it's a nice compromise between total DIY and paying for gorgeous premade ones.

That's what we did too. The template for day invite, evening invite and mass booklet cover cost €32.
    Was at the printers yesterday to get a quote. And it's only going to cost us €120 to get it all printed. We're very happy with that.

As for bridesmaids gifts. I ordered keepsake jewellery from Etsy. It's a little crystal heart on a chain that hold a small amount of ashes discreetly inside. My Mam passed away suddenly 3 years ago and as my bridesmaids are my sisters and nieces I know they will love them. Just hope they are as nice as they look in the pictures.

Think it is just something nice, doesn't have to be a huge pressie..Like most give flowers to the mothers.. Benefit set is nice..

I was thinking of getting the ladies a nice bamboo makeup brush set with three large brushes, then some jewellery from Ruby robin to wear on the day, maybe something like cozy socks for when they can relax later..

Cant wait for my dads thinking of getting him a set of chickens named after us, going to give him the picture on the day of them. He does keep chickens and the last lot of ex battery ones we got he ended up selling them to some other dude so it is more of a joke pressie.

Then mums as we will be away for the weekend we will get flowers delivered when all has settled down and maybe get them some nice bracelet

I think it all starts to get more real when you hit the same year. last year it was like noo noo sure it is ages away..

Just incase too I just emailed a few places that were on the accommodation list and they are booked already

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

I'm going to get a mixed bag of presents for the bridesmaids. The one thing I want to get each of them would be a nice pretty hard copy edition of their favourite book. Other than that it will be mix of glasses and jewellery and make up bags and other personal funny things.

I actually don't think I'm going to get my bridesmaid anything extra bar what she'll be using/wearing on the day. Like I'm paying for everything and I'll get jewelry specific for the outfit which can be worn again so I think that'll be it. That's what she did for me when I was her bridesmaid years ago.

No idea for the mothers as we'll be away for the weekend too and flowers might be a waste. Maybe a really nice photo frame or something, we'll see. I know my boyfriend will scoff and not put an ounce of thought into it either :)

I've really hit the ground running since I've come back to work, 3 months to go on Saturday :eek:

3 Months ohhh..Must be buzzing..

Sure men don't think about these things.. It is like what we are to get them something...

Jewellery is great, we got the same for my sisters wedding she got the dresses hair and all that goes too..

Nice photo and frame sounds perfect too could give them just one rose or something on the day..

The invites arrived today, love them! Not loving gathering the addresses though. Going to send them out in about 3 weeks as that'll be two months before the wedding. I want to send them now though :-)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

8 weeks and counting.

Left to do we have:

Send out invites (have them here just need to write them)
    Couple of sacrament certificates still to retrieve
    Dress alterations (My new fabulous dress, not the duvet) :eek:
    Have the men fitted for suits.. we have them picked though
    Get shoes and boleros for the flower girls
    Order my flowers
    And a few other little bits and bobs

All was going swimmingly until we found out a couple of weeks ago that we have to move house next week. The guy who owns the house we're renting is moving home from working abroad. Timing couldn't be worse but what can ya do. Plus the dress saga this week added to the stress but I can see the other side now. It's all coming back on track slowly but surely :p

I'm actually more excited now with my new dress. I don't think I was ever really in love with the first dress anyway. The new one just feels right :D Everything happens for a reason eh :)

Best of luck to everyone who's planning :)

xzanti wrote: »
    8 weeks and counting.

Left to do we have:

Order my flowers

All was going swimmingly until we found out a couple of weeks ago that we have to move house next week. The guy who owns the house we're renting is moving home from working abroad. Timing couldn't be worse but what can ya do. Plus the dress saga this week added to the stress but I can see the other side now. It's all coming back on track slowly but surely :p

I'm actually more excited now with my new dress. I don't think I was ever really in love with the first dress anyway. The new one just feels right :D Everything happens for a reason eh :)

That's gas, we just completed a house move so it's clearly a pre requisite for weddings!

Delighted you are sorted with the dress, what a dose, least it's sorted now.

xzanti wrote: »
    8 weeks and counting.

Left to do we have:

Order my flowers

That's gas, we just completed a house move so it's clearly a pre requisite for weddings!

Delighted you are sorted with the dress, what a dose, least it's sorted now.

• Advertisement

Wrote our invitations this evening, just need to post them either tomorrow or Saturday morning!

4 months from tomorrow... trip back to Ireland arranged for March to sort out a few things then. Menu tasting, flowers, suits...

One of my bridesmaids has offered to do my make-up for the day, which is handy.

Advertisement