Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Football ranking table

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭laoisman11

Only 2 games to look forward to this weekend:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Is this the first time New York have ever gained points? I know they've regularly stayed off the bottom by other teams sinking lower.

First points gained in the championship, but they had some wins in the league in the 60's, they must have been some sort of 'reward' game or something for the league champions to go over and play them so we can only imagine how serious the games were for the visiting parties.........they beat Galway on 3 occassions (in 65 and twice in 67 - God knows how those were organised).

They got up to 73 rating points at one stage, which brought them to 21st in the rankings.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,443 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

• Advertisement

Updated ranking table below following last weekend's games:

• A sensational win for Monaghan results in a gain of 4.2 rating points and effectively swapping positions with Tyrone in the ranking table
    • No rating points exchanged in the Derry vs Fermanagh game due to the gulf in rating points between the sides

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭crusd

The wild swing in rankings caused by one-off results the last two weekends suggests the model may need tweaking

• Registered Users Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭tanko

I don’t think so, teams will move up and down but you need to wait until the end of the Championships, it is very accurate then imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

I think the increased number of games (especially given a lot of them will be against teams of relatively similar levels given the split between Sam an Tailteann) should improve the post season standings.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭tanko

Do you not think it gave a fair reflection of the standings at the end of last season, no system is going to be perfect.

• Advertisement

Prediction model output for the 10 games this weekend - for some reason, the full PDF output wouldn't run properly - hopefully will have some time in the next few weeks to correct this.

Post edited by laoisman11 on

• Registered Users Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Should be Limerick v Clare.

Feck, I had pre-filled my Excel file with the teams before last weekend's games, and missed this one (but caught the Roscommon and New York ones!). Thanks!

With 10 games on the menu last weekend, there was sure to be major movement in the ranking table:

• Down gained 3 places in the rankings and took 4.2 rating points from Donegal, dropping Donegal to their lowest rank since February 2011
    • Offaly's win over Meath gained them 3.8 rating points, relegating Meath to the Tailteann Cup, and to 19th place, their lowest since June '18
    • The other big winner was Galway, who regain no. 1 place in the table after a fine win over Roscommon
    • Final mention to Clare, who moved to 10th place, their highest since March 2017

Not sure if it has been reported elsewhere, but Laois's 27-point margin of defeat to Dublin is their largest ever championship defeat, followed by their 2020 championship defeat to Dublin by 22 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,499 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

It isn't tat long since Laois were a solid Div 2 team, somewhere around where Louth are now. They have declined markedly.

Many people expected Monaghan to fall back, but it is Donegal that are in decline.

It feels like feast or famine with these alternating weekends of game overload/little to look forward to......only 4 games this weekend. The prediction model output is below.

I will try to attach the full output as a HTML file in a seperate post, hopefully it will work!

Managed to get a PDF file in the end, hopefully this makes for easier viewing compared to the HTML file.

• A huge win for Derry moves them up to 2nd place, and if they can take Armagh in the Ulster final, they look likely to top the ranking table!
    • Louth's extra-time win over Offaly moves them up to 10th, their highest since June 2013
    • Armagh had a small gain following a big win over Down
    • No rating points were exchanged after the Dublin-Kildare game

Another famine weekend with only 2 games, and going by the prediction model, there won't be much intrigue - Galway and Kerry are projected to win big. Nevertheless, on looking at the long-term trends (PDF attached), both Sligo and Clare have a habit of making things sticky for Galway and Kerry, respectively, so these finals may remain competitive for a longer stretch than expected.

• Advertisement

Big wins, as expected, for the 2 favourites this weekend, with neither Sligo nor Clare bringing any toffee to the table...

Kerry had a minor rating point gain, while no rating points were exchanged following the Connaught final.

Prediction model output attached, and shortened table below, for this coming weekend's games 10 games. A few first time meetings (Meath vs Tipp; Down vs Waterford) and this will be the 2nd ever meeting of Cavan and Laois, the previous dating to 1936.

I'm away on holidays this evening, and won't open this computer again until Sunday 28th, so the best I can do is put up prediction model output for the 4 games of the weekend of the 20th/21st of the teams that will not have played between now and then (there isn't any point in doing predictions for the TC games that weekend, as their ratings would have changed based on results of this coming weekend).

I will update the ranking table when I'm back.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,577 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Football is broken. There'll be only one Provincial Final that will hold any interest beyond half-time and of course that's in Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

We in Meath are still sore over the 1895 All Ireland Final vs. Tipp, so it's definitely not our first meeting!

Tipp won by 0-4 to 0-3, but that the referee reckoned after the match that a Tipp point wasn't valid. Meath didn't object though.

The story goes that the GAA presented Meath with a set of All Ireland medals declaring them "virtual champions" but I've read that these were almost certainly struck by Meath themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭eire4

Totally agree the current system in place this year is a joke with so many games that flat don't matter much if at all. The provincial championships should be at the start of the season and then the league which should then flow directly into then All Ireland and Tailteann Championship group stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Connacht wasn't helped with the draw this year. If it was a Galway v Mayo/Roscommon final it would be a competitive match with at least 20k in attendance

Good catch - the data I'm working off for the predictions go back to 1926, I need to bring in the earlier data to talk about previous meetings. Grudges are not easily forgotten, and I don't want to be making your list!

Three weekend's worth of changes combined into the one table below!

The major changes:

• Bonus point victories at home to Leitrim and away to Wexford result in Antrim gaining 6.6 rating points
    • Mayo jump 4 places to 2nd following a big win over Kerry; meanwhile, Kerry drop (temporarily?) to 6th, their lowest since August 2018
    • Donegal's big win over Clare gains them 4.5 rating points
    • A home loss to Carlow and a big away defeat to Longford cost Wicklow 9.1 rating points and 7 ranking places

• Advertisement

A record 16 games of championship action this weekend, there are sure to be major changes in the ranking table by Sunday evening.

Attached is the 65-page detailed prediction report, the main things that I pull from it:

• Kerry's form has been poor for the last while, and Cork alternate between making life difficult and easy for them. One point win for Cork or 10 point win for Kerry?
    • Kildare have performed well against Dublin in their 2 meetings this year - can they make further progress?
    • Tyrone will want to make up for last year's championship loss to Armagh
    • Waterford appear to have better form than Tipp, and could create a shock here
    • Offaly's form has dipped a lot in the last few months, Cavan could rack up a score
    • London's last 2 results hint that their game with Laois might be much tighter than many expect
    • First championship meeting since 1950 for Mayo and Louth (for those into omens)
    • Have Donegal turned their season around? And will Derry's decline in form continue?
    • Antrim have been going well of late, they might keep it going against Fermanagh

Prediction model output below:

Advertisement