Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Ireland Run 2014 - Getting to the start line

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

Hard to know how to run this one - the first 5k is pretty much down hill and heading east, that is with the wind most likely behind you)
    The next 4 k are (probably) into the wind and there are 3 tough uphill stretches.
    I've run it twice in the last few days and gained a minute on the second run but those into the wind uphills are killers.
    Hard to know - run like the clappers for the first 5 so as to build up a cushion of time or hold back on the first 5 k to keep enough in the tank for the hills?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

born2bwild wrote: »
    Hard to know how to run this one - the first 5k is pretty much down hill and heading east, that is with the wind most likely behind you)
    The next 4 k are (probably) into the wind and there are 3 tough uphill stretches.
    I've run it twice in the last few days and gained a minute on the second run but those into the wind uphills are killers.
    Hard to know - run like the clappers for the first 5 so as to build up a cushion of time or hold back on the first 5 k to keep enough in the tank for the hills?

Think I'll try and run fast to get time on my side. I'm hoping the usual adrenaline I get in a race will get me through the hills!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

You don't need to go out like the clappers - you'll gain time anyway going down the Furze Road (4K), and the second half of the race has descents and climbs so it balances out. Go out too hard and you'll blow up on the first hill anyway.

Really love the custom race numbers with our county printed on them. Will make a wonderful souvenir.

What a difference a breeze makes - I ran the course again this evening and took 1.5 mins off my time on Wednesday - no wind, no bother.
    Still ran as close to flat out as I could for the first 5 - I figure 10k is not such a distance that pacing really matters.
    I will try one more just in case - though - a deliberately slow first 5k on Sunday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,014 ✭✭✭✭event

What will parking be like in the park on the day? The site says none but I remember there were cars parked along the big middle road last year.

What time would ye need to be there at to get a spot?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭KingMambo26

The race pack says there'll be no parking in the park. Don't remember if last year it said the same but I still found a spot on the main road. Mind you, with the kids race starting at 11:30 you'd probably need to be there by 10-ish before they close the access. Considering the adults race doesn't start till 13:00 you may want to go for a pre-race picnic to kill time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Is there another fairly big 10k on the same day? I seem to remember someone mentioning it

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

Is there another fairly big 10k on the same day? I seem to remember someone mentioning it

The BHAA have a 10K at the K Club in Co. Kildare earlier the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fiona44

Does anyone know if we can collect our race number on the day?

Their facebook page seems to say you can collect it from 10am on the day but their website seems to say you cant.

• Advertisement

Fiona44 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if we can collect our race number on the day?

Their facebook page seems to say you can collect it from 10am on the day but their website seems to say you cant.

I would email them to confirm but I thought if you didn't receive the pack by now you must go to Lifestyle in Blanch to collect?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fiona44

Pink11 wrote: »
    I would email them to confirm but I thought if you didn't receive the pack by now you must go to Lifestyle in Blanch to collect?

I emailed last night and they confirmed that race numbers can in fact be collected from 10am on the morning of the race, just in case anyone else is wondering.

There will be a marquee set up near the start/finish area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Some good fields in for Saturday , hopefully Mary cullen and Ava H run . Christie for the mens Irish or hanrahan? http://www.greatirelandrun.org/Information.aspx?ctid=355

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

youngrun wrote: »
    Some good fields in for Saturday , hopefully Mary cullen and Ava H run . Christie for the mens Irish or hanrahan? http://www.greatirelandrun.org/Information.aspx?ctid=355

I think Christie: Not a fast time in Dunboyne but being able to drop Mark Kenneally in that wind shows he is in good shape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Sergiu, bazman & Thomas Fitzpatrick will be in the mix to, should be a good Irish race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Prize money is pretty poor there. Only €500 for the winners?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

menoscemo wrote: »
    Prize money is pretty poor there. Only €500 for the winners?

Poor, thats brutal. Is it still a silver ranked IAAF event?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,014 ✭✭✭✭event

Fiona44 wrote: »
    I emailed last night and they confirmed that race numbers can in fact be collected from 10am on the morning of the race, just in case anyone else is wondering.

There will be a marquee set up near the start/finish area.

Would have been nice if they had publicised that beforehand, instead of me changing work to drive up and back this morning

I had to email them 2/3 times with queries but they replied very fast with solid solutions. It's like they had all the info and it's all planned - just been communicated badly.

Kinda feeling down - I've a tingly shin splint at the moment. So anxious I won't be on good form for this one...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Best of luck to all those running this tomorrow. ENJOY!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

A few pics here for anyone interested. Not all in focus (and heavily Cru oriented):

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A3532ODWw0hIo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Tough conditions today,a bit like Dunboyne! I lost 54secs on the second 5k but that was always to be expected.T-shirt is decent quality and their best in a while.
    The race is dying despite the saturday change--3975 finishers it seems to me??Personally i think there are too many races in the park now (and too many fullstop).I know this one is relatively expensive and was overcrowded a few years ago but at least it has some top level runners,is on tv,and is always the same course so you can judge yourself against other years.Race series and Donore runs are probably slightly better races all round but maybe too many others on in there now..
    Finishers
    2009-7894
    2010-8243
    2011-7669
    2012-7829
    2013-6187
    2014-4991
    2015-3975

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

hawkwing wrote: »
    Tough conditions today,a bit like Dunboyne! I lost 54secs on the second 5k but that was always to be expected.T-shirt is decent quality and their best in a while.
    The race is dying despite the saturday change--3975 finishers it seems to me??Personally i think there are too many races in the park now (and too many fullstop).I know this one is relatively expensive and was overcrowded a few years ago but at least it has some top level runners,is on tv,and is always the same course so you can judge yourself against other years.Race series and Donore runs are probably slightly better races all round but maybe too many others on in there now..
    Finishers
    2009-7894
    2010-8243
    2011-7669
    2012-7829
    2013-6187
    2014-4991
    2015-3975

There was another great 10k up the road for a tenner and a great spread afterwards. I know which one I would do

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

There was another great 10k up the road for a tenner and a great spread afterwards. I know which one I would do

Hard to disagree with that, however, it is our national 10k champs whether we agree with it being lumped in with that race or not. I did the race once years ago and didn't enjoy it, mainly due to congestion. However, the longer I am involved in the sport the more I believe it is important to support these championships, even if not in ideal circumstances. I would have run this year myself if I wasn't injured and will do next year hopefully (even though I'm not a 10k runner). The same can be said for the Interclubs cross country, we can complain all we want about small numbers and what's to be done, but as club runners, we need to run these races and support them. And how often in Ireland do you get to share a race with the world record holder and a former world cross country champion!

Yeah but does George Hamilton commentate on that one?

Naah....didn't think so....

Were the sambos nice at that other one?

pconn062 wrote: »
    Hard to disagree with that, however, it is our national 10k champs whether we agree with it being lumped in with that race or not. I did the race once years ago and didn't enjoy it, mainly due to congestion. However, the longer I am involved in the sport the more I believe it is important to support these championships, even if not in ideal circumstances. I would have run this year myself if I wasn't injured and will do next year hopefully (even though I'm not a 10k runner). The same can be said for the Interclubs cross country, we can complain all we want about small numbers and what's to be done, but as club runners, we need to run these races and support them. And how often in Ireland do you get to share a race with the world record holder and a former world cross country champion!

For me, I just don't like the setup.

Yeah but does George Hamilton commentate on that one?

Naah....didn't think so....

Were the sambos nice at that other one?

Didn't run it this year as had a cold twice in the last three weeks. Le cheile 5k hopefully or tallaght 5k I hope to run

• Registered Users Posts: 10,494 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Anybody know how to get your chip time? The result list shows my gun time, but clicking on the chip icon just jumps to the top of the page. And looking at the 2014 results, it seems to be doing the same

Or am I just missing something?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amcgee

28064212 wrote: »
    Anybody know how to get your chip time? The result list shows my gun time, but clicking on the chip icon just jumps to the top of the page. And looking at the 2014 results, it seems to be doing the same

Or am I just missing something?

The chip icon means the time shown is your chip time. If you look at elite athletes, they have a gun next to their time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,494 ✭✭✭✭28064212

amcgee wrote: »
    The chip icon means the time shown is your chip time. If you look at elite athletes, they have a gun next to their time.
    Nope, that's most definitely my gun time. It's what was showing on the gantry when I went under at the finish, I was at least a minute getting to the start line, and my Garmin time was a minute faster than the time on the website

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Advertisement