Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Ireland Run 2014 - Getting to the start line

Options
  • 19-03-2014 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi folks;

I'm participating in the Great Ireland Run in Dublin for the first time this year. I was just wondering how any of you who might also be participating plan on getting to the start line in Phoenix Park - judging from a map of the park, the start line is quite a trek away from entrances to the park!

I don't have a car, so am going to either take the bus or Luas to the park.

I'd be happy to walk to the start line from a park entrance, but am just concerned about wearing myself out before even starting the race! Can anyone who has done the race before shed some light on this situation?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

the start line is about a 10 minute walk from the gate entrances off Blackhorse avenue

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

It's about a mile from the main park gate to the start line, just leave yourself plenty of time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Get the train to Ashtown. A handy 10 min jog to the start from the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Approx how long would it take to get from Heuston Station to the park?

there's this thing called google maps, which would give you all these details ;)

it will take approx. 30 minutes from heuston to the top of chesterfield avenue, close to the start

• Advertisement

colin32 wrote: »
    there's this thing called google maps, which would give you all these details ;)

it will take approx. 30 minutes from heuston to the top of chesterfield avenue, close to the start

Thanks, but I don't know Dublin well at all, and didn't know what gates into Phoenix Park would be open.

:D

it's virtually a straight walk from the station so you should be ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

RubyK wrote: »
    Thanks, but I don't know Dublin well at all, and didn't know what gates into Phoenix Park would be open.

I'm not doing the race but I know previously there has been courtesy buses running from near Heuston up into the Park, and back out afterwards.

pistol_75 wrote: »
    I'm not doing the race but I know previously there has been courtesy buses running from near Heuston up into the Park, and back out afterwards.

Cheers for that info :)

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

pistol_75 wrote: »

Sorry for bumping this thread. I was trying to save myself making a new one. Never done this race before.

Does anyone know if the shuttle bus option is running this year? Where are the pick up points?

Also, where do we pick up numbers/pack?

• Advertisement

There is no info on the site or am I blind!?

I saw the timetable, where does it explain the 'waves'. How do I make sure I can enter the right one etc?

Sorry for all the questions but the website is not clear to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Might do this. Website is tricky enough, when is closing date for entries?

Might do this. Website is tricky enough, when is closing date for entries?

Website is very badly laid out for info. FAQ page I provided is the best bet. I think the majority of the info will be in the info pack they will send out to us (around end of March).

I think online entry finish mid/late March. (going on previous years info).

Registration discount at the moment guys for 200 people. If you have a spar card (go and get one if you don't!):

Reg and follow this link to access it:

http://grtrun.org/GIROffer

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Sara2002

I was just about to enter this until I noticed the start time. A bit late isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Tis pretty late. Kinda tempted to do this - we normally as a family do a 5k in April in the Phoenix Park organised by a society I am a member of, but they are not doing it this year. Actually missing it cos we used to make a day of it - do 5k in the morning and go to the zoo for the afternoon.

I like that they are doing a kids race, but then the young lad and my hubbie would have to wait for ages for me after or go around the zoo themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

Sara2002 wrote: »
    I was just about to enter this until I noticed the start time. A bit late isn't it?

Half 1 isn't late really considering it's a national event and many participants will be travelling a few hours. Saves an overnight stay and a few bob.

For anyone still waiting on their packs to arrive in the post. They told me if it hasn't arrived by Fri 3rd of April (next week) to contact them immediately.

Race is fast approaching. Can't wait for this! Anyone else on here doing it? How is the training going? I hear the course is quite difficult with lots of hills so looking forward to the challenge! Handy that they are posting everything to you prior to the race so I don't have to organise a pick up.

Only concern is getting to the start line. I'm not too familiar with the area. I was going to get the LUAS to Heuston. Would I easily be able to walk to the start line from there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

The course is flat for 4k, downhill for 1k, and then up and down for the remaining 5k.
    Yes, easily walking distance from Heuston, maybe a mile? Just leave yourself plenty of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

RayCun wrote: »
    The course is flat for 4k, downhill for 1k, and then up and down for the remaining 5k.
    Yes, easily walking distance from Heuston, maybe a mile? Just leave yourself plenty of time.

From Heuston up Chesterfield Avenue to the Furze Road start area is closer to 2 miles - a nice 45 mins walk maybe, or you could use some of it as a warm-up jog. There's always a great buzz going up Chesterfield Avenue to a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amcgee

was entering this race today , only to find out that i would have to call to blanchestown to collect my race pack. i know i have entered late , but this is off putting. will leave it this year. Pity , i live in the midlands, too much of a drive to collect
    The only reason i left it so late was primarily because i was unsure of my plan, will know better next year
    amcgee

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

amcgee wrote: »
    was entering this race today , only to find out that i would have to call to blanchestown to collect my race pack. i know i have entered late , but this is off putting. will leave it this year. Pity , i live in the midlands, too much of a drive to collect
    The only reason i left it so late was primarily because i was unsure of my plan, will know better next year
    amcgee

I'm still unsure but wouldn't mind ya grabbing a lift to Blanch with me. IM giving it till thurs to decide if I'm doing it. Not as fit as I should be.

From Heuston up Chesterfield Avenue to the Furze Road start area is closer to 2 miles - a nice 45 mins walk maybe, or you could use some of it as a warm-up jog. There's always a great buzz going up Chesterfield Avenue to a race.

Thanks guys.

Another stupid question but I presume it'll be obvious on the day how to get there from Heuston on the day. I imagine there will be lots of crowds? I just have no idea of the area.

Sorry for dumb questions just want to be prepared. I always get nervous before races so like to plan ahead to help calm my nerves!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

Pink11 wrote: »
    Thanks guys.

Another stupid question but I presume it'll be obvious on the day how to get there from Heuston on the day. I imagine there will be lots of crowds? I just have no idea of the area.

Sorry for dumb questions just want to be prepared. I always get nervous before races so like to plan ahead to help calm my nerves!

Not a stupid question at all! Out the front of Heuston Station, turn left (following the LUAS tram lines) to go across the river, then left again up Parkgate Street, straight through the traffic lights and the Park entrance is on your right. Then straight up the road through the park.

And yes, there'll be loads of other runners heading that way!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Here's a map: Getting from Heuston Station to Chesterfield Avenue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

Pink11 wrote: »
    Thanks guys.

There'll be tonnes of people walking from the LUAS stop at Heuston over to the race so don't worry - follow the runners and you'll be fine !

Thanks a mil guys - didn't realise Chesterfield Ave would show up on the map!

Looking forward to it now. Number arrived in the post today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amcgee

I'm still unsure but wouldn't mind ya grabbing a lift to Blanch with me. IM giving it till thurs to decide if I'm doing it. Not as fit as I should be.

thanks, in the end when i entered via the section for club members it said that you could collect on day, so i am ok thankfully entered and should be ok for collecting my pack.

Advertisement