Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quitting the Teaching Profession

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Lightning Jack

Just wanted to bump this thread. Was wondering is there anyone that has left teaching to pursue another career and if so, what kind of route did they go down? I'm eight years into my primary teaching career and I've been feeling quite burned out by the profession along with not enjoying working in the school I'm in. I'm nearly finished an MSc in Education, Training Management and eLearning in DCU at the moment and had it in my head to go down the road of corporate training or instructional design. I'm also considering applying for positions in the PDST if and when they advertise. Would anyone that has left teaching have any feedback they could give on transitioning to work in another area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

Working with DEIS students can be very frustrating, I sometimes have them in our company on work experience.
    They end up going missing,dont like instructions or if you send them on an errand it takes age's.

I can see how it's so frustrating...

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Lightning Jack

Just wanted to bump this thread. Was wondering is there anyone that has left teaching to pursue another career and if so, what kind of route did they go down? I'm eight years into my primary teaching career and I've been feeling quite burned out by the profession along with not enjoying working in the school I'm in. I'm nearly finished an MSc in Education, Training Management and eLearning in DCU at the moment and had it in my head to go down the road of corporate training or instructional design. I'm also considering applying for positions in the PDST if and when they advertise. Would anyone that has left teaching have any feedback they could give on transitioning to work in another area?

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

I haven't left my teaching post but i do feel burnt out. The expectations re differentiation, the behaviour & lack of effective sanctions and the increasing bureaucracy are grinding me down. I've e 30 years left and i can't imagine completing them but i don't have any viable alternatives either.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ASISEEIT

I found my first five years in teaching very tough. Part of the reason was me. I took myself way too seriously. I got very upset and practically went mano a mano with the kids. Then I simply relaxed. Took my time in class,waited until the kids had settled down ,and then taught,even if this took twenty minutes. The calmer you are the calmer they will be.

I dont take things personally anymore. Kids occasionally tell me to fxxx off and I simply smile and say I wish I could. I keep calm ad deal with the matter later.
    Dont abandon ship yet. Get to five years and see where you are then. Will give you time to plot exit if needs be.

As for Bureaucracy dont take it too seriously either. Once Permanent you can just say you'll get round to it. See the reaction and work it out from there. Most Principals will want to avoid confrontation. Teachers are often their own worst enemies. There is a difference between being prepared for class and having your bull**** paperwork done. If you give into bull****-you are partly to blame

• Advertisement
Advertisement