Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quitting the Teaching Profession

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

linguist wrote: »
    Hi. I found myself in a really difficult school where I was dealing with many of the issues the OP was and felt similarly unsupported in the broader scheme of things by management. As an aside, it's amazing the patronising smugness you can get when you tell people you work in a disadvantaged school knowing full well that if those people actually laid eyes on some of the kids you're trying to help, they'd run for the hills. But I digress.

I was grimly working my way towards a CID - the kind of attitude that says I can take this nonsense if I'm secure - when an opportunity came to move. I knew full well the risk that I was taking but I knew a part of me was wasting away in that school and it was the most important part - my love of the job. So I jumped. I'm still working my way to a CID but I'm happy. The kids are great, their parents are awesome and my colleagues are decent. Ironically, there was possibly a better staffroom vibe in the other school because people were trying to look out for each other. For anyone who's in that situation, my advice would be that if you see a better opportunity and if you can afford it, consider making the move.

I could have written this post and second everything linguist has said. There are different pressures indifferent types of schools. I couldn't enjoy working in a 'crowd control' environment and enjoy working in an 'academic' school. There is still crazy pressure and good results are expected but I like it. I would advise anyone who is struggling to bite the bullet, move to a different type of school and give it a go. Finding a new job will be tough, but even a leave contract will give an idea of whether teaching or the school is the issue. You can always leave teaching and try something new after than.

I still consider leaving teaching every now and then. I hate not having security, poor pay and the parents who feel that they pay you and can speak down to you as such. That said, I enjoy being in the classroom so much that I am still there! If I have no hint of job security in two years and am in my thirties, I will revisit my plan B but it is worth sticking out for another few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭ruahead

So those of you that are leaving this academic year in Ireland have left already. I've another 6 weeks left teaching in the UK, then I'm out forever. Just wondering, what should I say in interviews ( for non teaching jobs ) when asked why I left teaching ?.
    The disrespect, no back up for teachers by SLT or the workload ( working weekends and evenings ).
    It is a combination of all 3 but I know it's bad to knock previous employers and if I bring up workload outside of school day, will they think I'm unwilling to work late occasionally ?

Thanks,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

ruahead wrote: »
    So those of you that are leaving this academic year in Ireland have left already. I've another 6 weeks left teaching in the UK, then I'm out forever. Just wondering, what should I say in interviews ( for non teaching jobs ) when asked why I left teaching ?.
    The disrespect, no back up for teachers by SLT or the workload ( working weekends and evenings ).
    It is a combination of all 3 but I know it's bad to knock previous employers and if I bring up workload outside of school day, will they think I'm unwilling to work late occasionally ?

Thanks,

I wouldn't go the negative route, just stress the reasons why the new job would fulfill you more. Think of all the presentation skills you've gained from teaching and different levels of interaction (other teachers/parents/pupils).
    At the same time you dont want to give the impression that your a teacher at heart !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

I was in the library the other day. Kid was wrecking the place and the mother congratulated him on expressing his emotions.

I met a parent in the past few weeks and told her that her child was talking too much in class. "That's what God gave him his tongue for" was her retort. Poor child.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

ruahead wrote: »

Thanks,

I agree that you should focus on positives and how you can contribute to the new job. Aside from experience in standing up in front of many people and using humour and plámás to fulfill work objectives, I'd mention your skills in the following - planning short, medium and long-term projects, fulfilling targets, people management, inspiring/motivating people, building effective teams, identifying skills and talents of people and using them to maximise team productivity, highly developed emotional intelligence and interpersonal skills, sensitivity to others and perspective in fulfilling aims, ability to diffuse arguments and arbitrate in disputes, ability to anticipate problems and prepare backup plans, awareness of the importance of building long-term relationships which are underpinned by respect for everybody and empathy for their position and past, a willingness to see everybody's strong points and include everybody in fulfilling work aims.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Pwpane

gaiscioch wrote: »
    I agree that you should focus on positives and how you can contribute to the new job. Aside from experience in standing up in front of many people and using humour and plámás to fulfill work objectives, I'd mention your skills in the following - planning short, medium and long-term projects, fulfilling targets, people management, inspiring/motivating people, building effective teams, identifying skills and talents of people and using them to maximise team productivity, highly developed emotional intelligence and interpersonal skills, sensitivity to others and perspective in fulfilling aims, ability to diffuse arguments and arbitrate in disputes, ability to anticipate problems and prepare backup plans, awareness of the importance of building long-term relationships which are underpinned by respect for everybody and empathy for their position and past, a willingness to see everybody's strong points and include everybody in fulfilling work aims.
    Thanks for that, Gaiscioch! It's a very positive outlook on skills achieved in the classroom. One thing I missed in all the years I was teaching was any assessment of skills I had developed. As pretty much a lone agent it can be difficult to gain a proper perspective of yourself as a teacher.

The reasons I left teaching were very influenced by changing attitudes of management. For much of my career, I had the respect and support of management. Staff were consulted on the running of the school, and were valued for their professional opinion regarding students. We were actually treated like professionals. It would have been unthinkable to work us to the point of exhaustion, both from a point of view of respect as human beings and from a point of view that that was not good for the students. And we were appointed to permanent full-time positions.

Contrast that with only precarious part-time contracts being given, no consultation about the running of the school or decisions re students - instead instructing teachers what to do with no discussion allowed, working all staff to the point of exhaustion as a matter of principle with the 'beneficial' side effect of no time or energy for union meetings, no support for a teacher in trouble in a classroom or with parents, no support for maintaining or developing your subject area etc etc etc.

From responsible professionals we have become micro-managed temporary part-time workers.

Maybe all management is not like ours, but it seems to me to be a countrywide movement within school management.

It's not about money. It's about lack of proper respect for others, and thinking that the end justifies the means.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Alli2014

I came to Boards looking for a conversation such as this one. It's great to hear about other teachers having difficulties and finding the stress getting to them, as I find in staffrooms it is hard to admit you are having trouble. I have 8 years experience and have just finished my first year in a new school. I had three years completed in my last school but had to leave because of a long daily commute. I was due a CID there so was back to square one at the beginning of this year. I feel like I've had a really bad start in the school and just dread going back in September. I find I don't like any of my classes and feel disconnected from the staff. Instead of enjoying the break I'm anxious all the time. Financially we are applying for a mortgage however so I have to go back and start trying to find an alternative at the same time.
    I know there were a few suggestions already for other subject areas but I'm a language teacher with fluent French and basic Spanish. Anyone any suggestions on where I can start at equipping myself to get out of teaching? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 EDDARD STARK

Hello all,

I am a secondary teacher (English) and have just returned from the UK. I learned alot from my year's experience but I am having little luck again in the job hunt so far for September despite having sent plenty of applications.

I'm considering quitting the profession as I'm finding it totally demoralising and I don't fancy globe trotting so I'm just wondering if anyone has any information of what I could do instead with my qualifications or should I just go back to college

Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Hello all,

I am a secondary teacher (English) and have just returned from the UK. I learned alot from my year's experience but I am having little luck again in the job hunt so far for September despite having sent plenty of applications.

I'm considering quitting the profession as I'm finding it totally demoralising and I don't fancy globe trotting so I'm just wondering if anyone has any information of what I could do instead with my qualifications or should I just go back to college

Thanks

It depends totally on what kind of person you are and what your skills are. When I moved to the UK back in the late eighties, I looked for a teaching job, but was offered other jobs in areas such as PR, financial advisor etc. Basically, they were looking for graduates who were good communicators and an arts degree plus teaching qualification was enough for them.

They are not so open here. You tend to get pigeon holed more. What about library work, journalism, or PR? It's impossible to tell without knowing what your interest or forte is.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 EDDARD STARK

Cheers

Would the Civil Service accept a teacher?

Don't get me wrong, I like teaching and working with young people but I have crap subjects with regards securing a job here. I'm not a fan of the UK system and am in a relationship here

• Advertisement

Cheers

Don't get me wrong, I like teaching and working with young people but I have crap subjects with regards securing a job here. I'm not a fan of the UK system and am in a relationship here

Almost impossible to get into the civil service now. Isn't there still an embargo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Cheers

Check out this forum there appears to be the odd few civil and public sector threads popping up http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=10.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Lmce24

So, I qualified in May 2012, left for Oz, returned by Christmas and have been in and out of different contracts and schools since January 2013. The last school I was in (local) killed me. I covered from December '13-May of this year and I was really down by the end of it all. I didn't bother looking or applying for jobs all summer as I was really uninterested in the job after that past experience but I was offered a retirement position which saw me uproot and move from the Southwest to the Big Smoke. Obviously I couldn't refuse it. My own hours in a private school,holiday pay and, more than likely, permanency. My problem is now, two months in, I'm at a loss. Usually it's nearer the end of the year I feel like this but I feel I could give up the job in the morning and I hate it. I've lost all my passion that I had. I've simply no interest in the job or retaining the position when it will be re-advertised next year (thank you Ward Report). My question is easy, what do I do now? Do I quit and move home and look for a job to keep the bills paid or do I tough it out until the end of the year and then move on? Totally unmotivated and just so unsure of what I should be doing with myself :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Just wondering how many people get this feeling? I am currently getting it on an almost daily basis and have reached the point where I simply do not like or enjoy my job anymore. Im in a DEIS school and there are just days where I am struggling to put up with the disrespect and abuse that is hurled my way. Might sound a tad ridiculous as I am quite young, but I can feel my health suffering in this job. If I was asked hand on heart why I am teaching now, Id struggle to answer the question, and that depresses me. I am 31 and the thoughts of staying in this career till 65 is just not something I like to think about My question is, is there career guidance that an adult can get? My subjects are History and Geography and I loved all elements of both subjects but simply dont know how or where to pursue both subjects outside of teaching. Where does one find out informations about education jobs outside the classroom. Is there any other careers that someone with a PGDE can get into quite easily?

Lmce24 wrote:
    Do I quit and move home and look for a job to keep the bills paid or do I tough it out until the end of the year and then move on? Totally unmotivated and just so unsure of what I should be doing with myself

My tuppence worth is hold on to the job and seek some guidance on your issues which lead you to be unhappy.
    Having the job could fund that exploration if you go the counsellor route.
    Similarly, if you decide to leave then you may need further education for a different profession and again, the funds from a job could help do this part time.

Lots of people feel like this (especially Sunday night!) you may end up leaving eventually but a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush and so on.

Good Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭2011abc

MOST of us feel that way the night before we go back after a bit of holidays .Good luck Lmce24 .Id also be inclined to stick it out .Its a lot shorter to Christmas than last August .Two weeks off then .Easter is earlier and longer than ever ( starts at Paddys Day ) Week off in Feb before that ...

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

Could you use a course day lmce? Assuming you are in primary

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Icsics

Could you take a career break & teach in the Middle East? At least there you can actually teach & not have the discipline probs. Always remember you have options....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Icsics wrote: »
    Could you take a career break & teach in the Middle East? At least there you can actually teach & not have the discipline probs. Always remember you have options....
    Several of my friends have worked there, the female teachers were more or less ignored by male pupils as being beneath contempt. Other friends reported being forced to give pass grades to children of influential parents.

Redser87 wrote: »
    Could you use a course day lmce? Assuming you are in primary

I'm secondary so I don't know what a course day is?!

2011abc wrote: »
    MOST of us feel that way the night before we go back after a bit of holidays .Good luck Lmce24 .Id also be inclined to stick it out .Its a lot shorter to Christmas than last August .Two weeks off then .Easter is earlier and longer than ever ( starts at Paddys Day ) Week off in Feb before that ...

Nothing to do with the night before going back at all, even after today I'm still just counting down the days til I'm not in work. As it is a private school and my first year there, I've been told to 'be seen' which has meant I'm in work before 8 every morning, don't leave he school til 5-6 most days where I go home to spend another 3-4 hours on school work not to mind being caught in extracurriculars. It just dawned on me over midterm when a few of us went bowling and they all came from work and were able to stay out late whereas if it was during term time there would be no hope of me being able to give up time like that 😔

• Advertisement

Lmce24 wrote: »
    I'm secondary so I don't know what a course day is?!
    If primary teachers do a course in July, they are entitled to take "course days" off during the year

Icsics wrote: »

I don't have issues with discipline in my school. Teaching in the Middle East is definitely not where I see myself either

katydid wrote: »
    If primary teachers do a course in July, they are entitled to take "course days" off during the year

Ahhhh ok! Doesn't apply then, oh well 😢

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Nothing to do with the night before going back at all, even after today I'm still just counting down the days til I'm not in work. As it is a private school and my first year there, I've been told to 'be seen' which has meant I'm in work before 8 every morning, don't leave he school til 5-6 most days where I go home to spend another 3-4 hours on school work not to mind being caught in extracurriculars. It just dawned on me over midterm when a few of us went bowling and they all came from work and were able to stay out late whereas if it was during term time there would be no hope of me being able to give up time like that 😔

Hang on, you are working 8-5/6 +work at home every night? That is unsustainable. You should not need 5-6 hours a day in prep/correction on top of teaching. Are you on full 22hrs?

Hang on, you are working 8-5/6 +work at home every night? That is unsustainable. You should not need 5-6 hours a day in prep/correction on top of teaching. Are you on full 22hrs?

20ish hours but it's the expectations of the school and the kids/parents. My first time in 4 years not having full 22 and thank god for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I've worked in a private school on a full 22 hours in Dublin and felt no obligation to work that many hours. And they tried to keep me when I went to leave and gave me an outstanding reference. You are saying that you are working 12hrs odd a day, that is 56 hours a week not counting extracurricular. You cannot maintain that. Have you been in this school for the past 4 years?

20ish hours but it's the expectations of the school and the kids/parents. My first time in 4 years not having full 22 and thank god for that

You don't have to fulfil all the expectations of the school or parents. I understand that you feel pressure to make a name for yourself and impress the principal, but if you carry on like this, you will have a mental or physical collapse and impress no one...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Lmce24 wrote:

Don't be so daft. I used to kill myself after starting out, lesson plans in detail, planning, whatever. You could spend hours and hours on it if you wanted. But at the end of the day you aren't getting paid to be spending hours of your own time to be working away like a trojan. I know teaching is different, but what other job requires you to use your own time to go planning and making everything all frills and dances. Don't get me wrong, a bit of time needs to be dedicated for planning and the likes, but fear you not, once ten to 4 comes I am out that door like a bullet. Teaching can be so demanding if you let it. But there comes a time where you have to say fcuk it, and take things as they come. It's not worth getting bogged down over, and you can't let it. You work to live, not live to work remember!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

I have not read the entire thread so forgive me if I repeat something already said.
    Have you thought of simply moving schools?
    The other point is I know people who took career breaks and could not wait to get back to teaching as they found the private sector worse. I would take a career break of a few years and then decide. Once you are gone -you are gone if you just resign.
    I work in a very relaxed school-the place is empty by 4pm. Bell goes 345.
    Sure some sports is done but mainly in school time.
    Have friends in other areas and their working lives are complex.

Im not saying dont ever go-just be a bit more cautious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Spread the love

I have not read the entire thread so forgive me if I repeat something already said.
    Have you thought of simply moving schools?
    The other point is I know people who took career breaks and could not wait to get back to teaching as they found the private sector worse. I would take a career break of a few years and then decide. Once you are gone -you are gone if you just resign.
    I work in a very relaxed school-the place is empty by 4pm. Bell goes 345.
    Sure some sports is done but mainly in school time.
    Have friends in other areas and their working lives are complex.

Im not saying dont ever go-just be a bit more cautious.

I completely agree with you about changing school. Every single school I have worked in has been completely different from the last. The last school I worked in was horrible, horrible bitchy teachers who basically tore the principal to shreds on a daily basis. You would barely get a hello from them walking down the corridor. They used to look out the window and make catty comments about the parents and pupils on their way home from school. Really horrible atmosphere in the school. Compare that with the first school I ever worked in where I would skip happily into school every day. The most lovely parents, principal and staff who really supported and helped each other. Honestly, if I had began my teaching career in my last school, then I would have left teaching very early on, believing that that school was going to be a true reflection of teaching as a career.
    Getting a good work/ life balance is key too. As another poster stated, teaching can be a never ending job if you want it to be. Sometimes you need to just go home and enjoy your life.

Advertisement