Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice on this situation, who's right?

Options
  • 15-03-2014 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Okay so back at the start of February my car got clamped when me and my friend went to visit another friend in student accommodation.

I had never been there before so was kind of talking like "where should I park?" my friend pointed a small carpark beside a larger one and said there should eb grand and I agreed. We parked and went into the apartments and came out about an hour and a half later, only to find a big yellow clamp on my wheel :(

After the freak-out I had with the clamping guy (but no I was in the wrong, just severely p****d off) he told me it was €120. He discounted €20 because I was such a b***h about it. I didn't have €100 at the time on cash or card so i rang my boyfriend to borrow his card until I got the money from my parents or through wages. Anyways it wasn't a problem with my boyfriend who gave me his details to pay with. Then the friend that I was with said she'd pay half. So €50. I was so apologetic and grateful for her contribution (although I was pissed as I felt this was on both of us.) I told her that I'd pay her back when I came into the money again and she specifically told me don't worry about it, it's half my fault too.
    That was fine.
    Until now.

I got a text from this friend a few days ago, basically saying "i'm broke" and "can I have the clamp money back". Which pissed me off 'cause I'm broke too? I kind of said yes then cause I felt bad, but the more and more I think about it I think it's not fair. She thinks that because I'm getting a few extra hours in work now that I have all this money, (I don't even get minimum wage and she got about €10ph in her last job) I have a car which needs diesel, I have a huge car loan, I have a phone bill, I have groceries to buy. I have loads of things that I'm only getting around to paying off now. Ii have to buy a new laptop for college tomorrow. Like it's only €50, but it's money I don't have?

And I don't think it's fair since when I offered to pay her back when I could, she refused. I can't get a refund so why should she? I always bring her to college aswell when I can, which is about 15km from home, (and I'm not given a cent for diesel, a contribution would be nice). I'm sorry, this is just how I honestly feel.

My parents always disliked this girl and time upon time told me she was a user.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Not another red cent!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,416 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Just have sex and post the pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Funnyonion79

Okay so back at the start of February my car got clamped when me and my friend went to visit another friend in student accommodation.

I had never been there before so was kind of talking like "where should I park?" my friend pointed a small carpark beside a larger one and said there should eb grand and I agreed. We parked and went into the apartments and came out about an hour and a half later, only to find a big yellow clamp on my wheel :(

After the freak-out I had with the clamping guy (but no I was in the wrong, just severely p****d off) he told me it was €120. He discounted €20 because I was such a b***h about it. I didn't have €100 at the time on cash or card so i rang my boyfriend to borrow his card until I got the money from my parents or through wages. Anyways it wasn't a problem with my boyfriend who gave me his details to pay with. Then the friend that I was with said she'd pay half. So €50. I was so apologetic and grateful for her contribution (although I was pissed as I felt this was on both of us.) I told her that I'd pay her back when I came into the money again and she specifically told me don't worry about it, it's half my fault too.
    That was fine.
    Until now.

I got a text from this friend a few days ago, basically saying "i'm broke" and "can I have the clamp money back". Which pissed me off 'cause I'm broke too? I kind of said yes then cause I felt bad, but the more and more I think about it I think it's not fair. She thinks that because I'm getting a few extra hours in work now that I have all this money, (I don't even get minimum wage and she got about €10ph in her last job) I have a car which needs diesel, I have a huge car loan, I have a phone bill, I have groceries to buy. I have loads of things that I'm only getting around to paying off now. Ii have to buy a new laptop for college tomorrow. Like it's only €50, but it's money I don't have?

And I don't think it's fair since when I offered to pay her back when I could, she refused. I can't get a refund so why should she? I always bring her to college aswell when I can, which is about 15km from home, (and I'm not given a cent for diesel, a contribution would be nice). I'm sorry, this is just how I honestly feel.

Just tell her sorry but you've just done your finances and you don't have the money to pay her back.

Money and friends don't mix and always end badly.

If she doesn't accept this, there's nothing you can do but your friendship will probably suffer for it. Sounds to me like you might be better off if it does, but in my opinion you have no obligation to pay her back so don't worry about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

she gave you a gift as a friend and I think it is wrong that she wants it back

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭pugsnotdrugs13

I think the friendship will suffer for it too, but you're damn right I'll probably be better off! My boyfriend went crazy when he heard she asked for it back, he's Polish and that ain't how they roll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭bodhi085

Give her the €50 back along with a printout of the bus timetable to college.

As the driver of the car, the responsibility of where you park is yours alone. There would have been notices up regarding parking in that place, and you chose to put your car there. Your friend didn't have a gun to your head, you made the decision.

That said, she accepted half the fault and paid half. That should be the end of it, so if I was you I'd tell her you don't have the money to LOAN her. Not give her back.

bodhi085 wrote: »
    Give her the €50 back along with a printout of the bus timetable to college.

haha I like this one:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

kneemos wrote: »
    Just have sex and post the pics.

Ye both should have had sex with the clamper.
    Everyones a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

This one is easy.

I'll give my answer in the form of a question......

When are women ever right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

That was fine.
    Until now.

You alone are responsible for your car and what you do with it. Welcome to adulthood.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

R u ok bbz xxx

YOLO

You alone are responsible for your car and what you do with it. Welcome to adulthood.

I know, but she accepted half the fault and said there was no need to pay it back, an act of kindness if you will. I just thought it was a bit cheeky coming asking for it back. If I were here, and became broke, I would be way too mortified to ask my friend for the *gift* back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I think the friendship will suffer for it too, but you're damn right I'll probably be better off! My boyfriend went crazy when he heard she asked for it back, he's Polish and that ain't how they roll.

Maybe buy your own clamp , how do Polish people roll ? The two beside me drive cars so not much rolling is done.Anyway if you buy your clamp you clamp middle aged women in carparks and make a few quid for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Your friend is totally in the wrong about this and you've every right to point that out to her. Your OP reminded me of this tune.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 Hunter of Invisible Game

Text her a link to this thread and tell her post her side of things.

Thread be nice and balanced then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Your car your fine. Yeah she took the blame partly but doesn't mean she owes you it. A lot of stuff in your list of things that you *need* to pay for, but paying someone back should be top of that, after food and rent. Never mind your new laptop etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

That was fine.
    Until now.

Hope you never get jury duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭maria34

You should get paid for diesel to get her to college. I mean sure you have to pick her up and be on time for that etc. well thats what i do, im driving to college and girls give me some cash. My win and theirs too as the bus ticket would be twice as expencive.

Id problably keep that 50 euros for her contribution towards the lift to college. Friendship is gone out of the window anyway.

• Advertisement

Gongoozler wrote: »
    Your car your fine. Yeah she took the blame partly but doesn't mean she owes you it. A lot of stuff in your list of things that you *need* to pay for, but paying someone back should be top of that, after food and rent. Never mind your new laptop etc.

This is more about going back on her word. I hadn't owed her anything for over a month until she decided she wants it back.
    kneemos wrote: »
    Hope you never get jury duty.
    What's that supposed to mean?

maria34 wrote: »
    You should get paid for diesel to get her to college. I mean sure you have to pick her up and be on time for that etc. well thats what i do, im driving to college and girls give me some cash. My win and theirs too as the bus ticket would be twice as expencive.

Id problably keep that 50 euros for her contribution towards the lift to college. Friendship is gone out of the window anyway.

100% agree with this answer, thank you :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... Which pissed me off 'cause I'm broke too? ... .
    That's not a question
    ... . Like it's only €50, but it's money I don't have? ....
    That's not a question
    ... I can't get a refund so why should she? ...
    That's a question. She shouldn't
    ... My parents always disliked this girl and time upon time told me she was a user.
    Be a good lickle gurl, listen to your parents and say your prayers at night,

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭maria34

100% agree with this answer, thank you :)
    I dont know why u havent done it before? Its called car pooling in english i think. Loads of students do that.

maria34 wrote: »
    I dont know why u havent done it before? Its called car pooling in english i think. Loads of students do that.

I did when I brought 2 other girls last year also, the 2 girls always threw me some cash on a Friday and guess who didn't

mathepac wrote: »
    That's not a question
    That's not a question
    That's a question. She shouldn't
    Be a good lickle gurl, listen to your parents and say your prayers at night,

God loves a smartass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

You told her you'd pay her back, don't say it if you don't mean it, people hold you to it. She shouldn't have said no its ok if she didn't mean it either but if you're willing to hold her to her word on that then you can't expect her not to hold you to yours.

She was kind enough to give you money when you needed it so pay her back or she may not be so kind next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭sillyoulfool

That was fine.
    Until now.

You owe the girl, pay her.
    She needs a friend like you like a hole in the head.

If your friendship is worth fifty quid pay her back if not don't...my dear Watson.

• Advertisement

Tasden wrote: »
    You told her you'd pay her back, don't say it if you don't mean it, people hold you to it. She shouldn't have said no its ok if she didn't mean it either but if you're willing to hold her to her word on that then you can't expect her not to hold you to yours.

She was kind enough to give you money when you needed it so pay her back or she may not be so kind next time.

I think you're missing the point here.. I held her to the conversation. An example of holding someone to a conversation:

If you and I went for lunch and I said hey I'm getting a beer do you want one? You say yes and hand me a fiver and I say ah you're grand.

Advertisement