Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Perth 382Euro Return

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

Absolutely sure all food, drinks and entertainment are free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

soirish wrote: »
    Absolutely sure all food, drinks and entertainment are free.

Champagne has a surcharge but yeah I get ya. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

what about caviar and foot rubs? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Caviar and champagne if you're up in the pointy end....don't think they'll go so far as to offer foot rubs though!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,145 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Gongoozler wrote: »
    Anyone know if your food is included? I've seen the menus and theres no prices, but it only days drinks are complimentary. Someone said the food is included, which seemed a little odd to me. But then for what you'd usually pay for the flight it wouldn't be that crazy.

Food is always free on long haul on traditional airlines.

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    Food is always free on long haul on traditional airlines.

yeah, ryanair has ruined the mystique of air travel for most people now. :(

i remember getting a flight from dublin to london city airport with air france a couple of years ago for work and they did the call for boarding and everyone just sat there, no mad rush to get on the plane to try and get a decent seat, several people continued to read books and newspapers and then had a bit of a stretch, gathered their things and slowly made their way to the gate, all civilised.

we all got on the half empty plane, settled into our big comfy leather seats and took advantage of free drinks, snacks and newspapers on the journey.

unfortunately, when we left, LCY was on high alert and I got a pat down at security which was so severe and 'grabby' (including a firm 'cupping' of my groin) that it could almost be considered sexual assault, but the flight home was still pretty good. :)

not sure how the flight to Oz is going to go this time with two young kids, the last time I did it I was 19, single and had a bottle of smirnoff to keep me company on an almost empty plane. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Here's hoping we get upgraded :D

anyone got any tips for a good hotel in the airport in Dubai?

Thought we'd be getting the complimentary "dubai connect" room, but it turns out that because it was booked through quantas and because there is another connecting flight sooner, we're not eligible, so it looks like we'll have to book our own so just looking for the easiest place to get to in the airport so we don't have to drag kids and stuff too far to get their heads down.

they DO provide free buggies for the kids at the gate though, so that's very good of them and will literally) take a weight off. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

28 days and counting- I wish it would hurry up!

Ah-Watch wrote: »

25 days, 3 hours, 24 minutes for me.

not that i'm counting at all. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 noodles55

3 more days cant wait now either

vibe666 wrote: »
    anyone got any tips for a good hotel in the airport in Dubai?

Thought we'd be getting the complimentary "dubai connect" room, but it turns out that because it was booked through quantas and because there is another connecting flight sooner, we're not eligible, so it looks like we'll have to book our own so just looking for the easiest place to get to in the airport so we don't have to drag kids and stuff too far to get their heads down.

they DO provide free buggies for the kids at the gate though, so that's very good of them and will literally) take a weight off. :)

Where / how did you get confirmation they aren't giving you the Dubai connect? I'm in the same situation as you - booked through Expedia on an Qantas tix and there is an earlier flight. However as my flight from Dubai to Dublin is on New Years Day I'm hoping it will be quiet and they will be put me on the earlier flight if I ask nicely enough.
    Ah-Watch wrote: »
    25 days, 3 hours, 24 minutes for me.
    noodles55 wrote: »

Lucky things - still 78 days for me :(

I called Emirates today and they said that I wasn't eligible with them as it was booked through Qantas and when I rang Qantas they said it's only eligible as complimentary if there is no earlier connecting flight, I.e. if you have no choice but to have a long stopover then yes, but not if you *choose* a longer stopover, which I guess makes sense.

Also everyone should get their seats booked, we did ours last week and didn't get exactly the seats we wanted and weren't able to get the same seats for each leg of the journey (I.e.the bassinet row).

Also, sign up for the Emirates sky rewards and get your airmiles, it's 7500 per person, so definitely worth it for future freebies or perks, unless you want to donate them to me? :D

Does anyone know if they will run this offer again

i'm quite frankly amazed that they ever did in the first place. prices this low aren't just rare, they're pretty much totally unheard of and flights of less than a grand are rare enough, never mind significantly less than 500 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

noodles55 wrote: »

How did your journey go? No problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭jkelly85

Did ya need a visa ? If so how do you get one ?

Out here in oz at the moment. Flights were great no problems at all. Yep you need a visa wich I got online but just dont have address to hand but im sure someone else will have it

https://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tourist/visa-options.htm

think you can do it anything up to 24 hours before you get there.

Just wondering how full people's flights have been? Still 66 days to go :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Cipango

mel.b wrote: »
    Just wondering how full people's flights have been? Still 66 days to go :(

I'd say assume they're full and if not it's just a bonus.

On the way there 100% full, on the way back 90% full.

But everyday is different and if you're going in 66 days this would be coming into peak season so I would be surprised if the flights were anything but full.

If you're on an A380 to Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane then even when full the flight is very comfy. The 777-300ER not so much. But have a few free beers and you'll forget all about it!

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking - I haven't had a flight that wasn't full / almost full in a few years. I don't know how accurate the seat map is compared to actual sales but the flights currently don't look very full.

Just for anyone travelling with Emirates after the 15th November, there is a slight change to the luggage dimensions.

http://www.emirates247.com/news/emirates/emirates-baggage-allowances-to-change-after-nov-15-click-for-details-2014-10-12-1.565923

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Cipango

Just for anyone travelling with Emirates after the 15th November, there is a slight change to the luggage dimensions.

http://www.emirates247.com/news/emirates/emirates-baggage-allowances-to-change-after-nov-15-click-for-details-2014-10-12-1.565923

This is actually only people who book after November 15th. As everyone who purchased this deal booked in March they will be allowed the 400cm allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

Cipango wrote: »
    This is actually only people who book after November 15th. As everyone who purchased this deal booked in March they will be allowed the 400cm allowance.

For passengers whose tickets are issued prior to November 15, 2014, the total dimensions (length+ width+ height) of each piece must not exceed 158cm (62 inches).

I think I might have to double check the measurements of our cases, we're actually just starting to pack for Thursday now! :D

in case anyone wasn't sure about Emirates, I can now wholeheartedly recommend them 100%! :)

the flight was just about full, but there were plenty of staff to handle everyone, with the possible exception of mealtimes, which took a while for them to cover everyone, but it's a big plane, so i'm happy to forgive them for that as we did all get fed.

we got row 38 right next to the bulkhead with the bassinets as we have two kids (one is 10 months, the other is 3).

unfortunately the baby was too big for the bassinet, so we had to hold her the whole way, but it was okay and both kids were great for both legs of the journey.

we definitely made the right choice (for us anyway) with the 12 hour stopover and hotel stay in Dubai, we got a little shopping done, then dinner and got everyone bathed and showered, then went for a nice nap and then onto the plane for the next leg.

if you have kids and you can get the bulkhead row to yourself, ONLY the centre armrest ones upwards as the others have the tray table in the arm, but it's enough for a 3 year old to curl up on if needs be, but you also just about have enough room in front for them to make a bed on the floor too. just be warned, you may be asked to move if you don't have a baby and someone else who does have one needs the bassinet.

free food and drink all the way, booze included and there was a tap next to the jacks for filtered water that you could get a bottle under if you want.

we bought a tablet and media players etc. but didn't need them, the Emirates ICE multimedia system has loads of movies and TV plus music, so you won't go wanting, but personally i'd recommend you get some half decent over ear headphones and a double adapter for the plane socket if you plan on spending a significant amount of the flight time watching/listening to stuff.

can't think of anything else, other than that perth is awesome! :)

i HAD to add this one, this is what happened with our baby when we tried to get off the plane in Dubai. :D

326045.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 35 pedro500

Greg81
    Huge thanks for your post way back in March, jumped on it straight away - just back from an amazing few weeks with the family in Fremantle/Margaret River area visiting family who moved 5 years ago - saved us the thousands that allowed us go. BA of the year/decade IMHO! Emirates staff were all excellent too, despite all flights being sold out & extremely busy they were always polite and attentive.
    Thanks again,
    P

• Advertisement

being as the thread is back, just to let the OP know that after our visit in Oct/Nov, we had such a great time that as soon as we got back, we made the decision to emigrate and I'm typing this now in a friends house in Mandurah, just south of Perth, having found out today that we will get the keys to our new home on Wednesday.

We've been living here two weeks now and just spent the day on the beach in Rockingham (again!) and thanking our lucky stars that we got the chance to come here because of this BA and that the trip gave us the push we needed to finally make the move, after two years of talking about it, so thank you OP a million times over, if you're ever back here in Oz i do believe I owe you at least kegs worth of beer! :)

Advertisement