Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Muck on roads.

  • 15-03-2014 2:55am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭ sparksfly


    I live in a rural area. The roads around my home are completely covered in muck from farm machinery going in and out of fields. The car brings it into my driveway and feet bring it into the house. Walking or cycling for our family is almost impossible.

    On a recent (2012) driving holiday in France I noticed that the roads were spotless even though it was very wet. We learned that it was a very serious crime to leave any material on the road that is severely dealt with. A brush for the tractor is mandatory (and must be used) if crossing any road.

    Other outfits who cause the roads to be messed seem to clean up straight away like the local quarry, the water meter gang and Board Gais pipe laying contractors. For our local farmers, not a chance.

    My questions are, how many of you clean the road after messing it up?
    Is it legal for farmers to leave the roads in this state in Ireland?
    Apart from legalities, do some farmers not have enough common decency and respect for their neighbors to clean up after themselves?


«13

Comments

  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭ Sir Arthur Daley


    Have you expressed your anger at the state your neighbours leave the roads in?


  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭ sparksfly


    My nearest neighbor is a muck savage whose whole setup is a tip. Falling down sheds and bits of machinery everywhere. To think that his is a food producing business is unreal. He can barely string two words together so any kind of communication is difficult.

    We mentioned it to him before but the result was an escalation of the mess.
    Phoned the council but no result.

    Other farmers, while not on the same scale of filth on the road, never clean up after.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭ Kovu


    sparksfly wrote: »
    My nearest neighbor is a muck savage whose whole setup is a tip. Falling down sheds and bits of machinery everywhere. To think that his is a food producing business is unreal. He can barely string two words together so any kind of communication is difficult.

    We mentioned it to him before but the result was an escalation of the mess.
    Phoned the council but no result.

    Other farmers, while not on the same scale of filth on the road, never clean up after.

    If this is your attitude towards him, I cannot see this thread faring very well.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭ freedominacup


    sparksfly wrote: »
    I live in a rural area. The roads around my home are completely covered in muck from farm machinery going in and out of fields. The car brings it into my driveway and feet bring it into the house. Walking or cycling for our family is almost impossible.

    On a recent (2012) driving holiday in France I noticed that the roads were spotless even though it was very wet. We learned that it was a very serious crime to leave any material on the road that is severely dealt with. A brush for the tractor is mandatory (and must be used) if crossing any road.

    Other outfits who cause the roads to be messed seem to clean up straight away like the local quarry, the water meter gang and Board Gais pipe laying contractors. For our local farmers, not a chance.

    My questions are, how many of you clean the road after messing it up?
    Is it legal for farmers to leave the roads in this state in Ireland?
    Apart from legalities, do some farmers not have enough common decency and respect for their neighbors to clean up after themselves?

    Yer past due sparksfly. March must be a tough month for you or something because you turn up here looking for a row around this time every year. It was something to do with subs last year. I know you know more than you let on and you know full well that this knucklehead is breaking the law. Contact the co. council and report him, look for the area engineer and the area foreman and speak to them directly. There are grey areas with it in terms of how long the muck can be there, you don't have to have someone brushing/ washing the road constantly while a job is ongoing once the warning signs are up, leaving a road in a mess overnight is a no-no regardless of whether the job is finished. I think you'd prefer to keyboard warrior it though and start a row here than to deal with the problem you have outside your own front door.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 Greengrass1


    Put up a photo so we can see how bad it is


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭ frazzledhome


    Road sweeper here for loader. 3 days at slurry tis week and we brushed at lunch and at knocking off. Still one neighbour call to my door at 9 pm to complain last night.

    I told her to call the Gards, I wonder is it me the OP is referring to! I will say some people leave roads in a state and they are an accident waiting to happen


  • Registered Users Posts: 752 micraX


    Does normal farm tractor insurance cover road sweeping or do you need different insurance like when hedgecutting along a road?
    What does the op expect moving into a rural area?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭ grassroot1


    Perhaps the op could move into a urban area and avoid muck on roads and muck savages, it would seem to be the logical solution.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭ td5man


    Had a similar situation here in the autumn, neighbour rang the council repeatedly to the point where the overseer said to me "you have great f*****g neighbours that roads not dirty".
    The same neighbour has no problem ringing me when she wants something like using my field as a carpark for her birthday party, which she invited me to and uninvited me in the same breath.

    I presume her food comes from a shop not a farm.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 Sam Kade


    This is a bit like last years thread about someones lawn and house getting covered in lime.

    There must be some mud on your road op when it ends up on your shoes and in your house, why don't you take off your shoes before entering your house? I know it's the farmers fault for leaving the mud on the road but you are exaggerating the story a bit too much.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,793 ✭✭✭✭ Reggie.


    td5man wrote: »
    Had a similar situation here in the autumn, neighbour rang the council repeatedly to the point where the overseer said to me "you have great f*****g neighbours that roads not dirty".
    The same neighbour has no problem ringing me when she wants something like using my field as a carpark for her birthday party, which she invited me to and uninvited me in the same breath.

    I presume her food comes from a shop not a farm.

    Ya should have thrown out some slurry the day before


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭ td5man


    Reggie. wrote: »
    Ya should have thrown out some slurry the day before

    Could happen yet dont tempt me. :-)


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭ freedominacup


    Sam Kade wrote: »
    This is a bit like last years thread about someones lawn and house getting covered in lime.

    There must be some mud on your road op when it ends up on your shoes and in your house, why don't you take off your shoes before entering your house? I know it's the farmers fault for leaving the mud on the road but you are exaggerating the story a bit too much.

    Sam any amount is too much and TBH I'm fed up with gobsh1tes breaking the law on this and getting away with it in some places when other areas are strictly policed. A brush for the loader is on the wishlist here but a tanker of water goes a long way on sorting it. It is extra time and effort but if you have it built into the day's work it's not that big a deal. Never mind the look of it or the direct effect on near neighbours it's very dangerous for passing traffic esp in frosty or muggy weather.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭ grassroot1


    Mud on the road is something I try to clean up as much as is possible, my family use the road the same as everyone else. People moving to rural areas must accept that they live in a workplace with smells and noise and just because you have bought a site in the country don't think you can stop people going about their daily business.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 sheebadog


    Was spreading dung here a few days before Xmas and one of the lads didn't close the back door properly - bloody war!! - cops at the door within minutes!!

    Cops said the government provide good roads so keep them that way.
    Ended up having to make a donation to the local public services.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 Sam Kade


    sheebadog wrote: »
    Was spreading dung here a few days before Xmas and one of the lads didn't close the back door properly - bloody war!! - cops at the door within minutes!!

    Cops said the government provide good roads so keep them that way.
    Ended up having to make a donation to the local public services.
    Send that cop around here and I will show him what good roads the Government provide :mad:


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭ mf240


    I suppose your own sh1te doesn't stink at all.

    That big auld mucksavage might buy your house off you if ya ask nicely. And you could buy a nice little house in town where there won't be anything upsetting you.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ ford2600


    mf240 wrote: »
    I suppose your own sh1te doesn't stink at all.

    That big auld mucksavage might buy your house off you if ya ask nicely. And you could buy a nice little house in town where there won't be anything upsetting you.

    In order to protect themselves from claims better to clean roads as much as is reasonable.

    Roads Act 1993 leaves no room for manoeuvre.

    Muck Savage and proud myself.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 Greengrass1


    Reggie. wrote: »
    Ya should have thrown out some slurry the day before

    Or empty the sewage tank and put a dash out :D


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 biddy2013


    maybe the op is going a bit ott but if i came round a corner with my kids in the car onto muck and crap on the road i would be very annoyed. i alway clean up during and after if road is dirty also would have red cones warning of danger if an accident happened i could never forgive myself .As for the smart comments on here cop the fook on


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭ gozunda


    biddy2013 wrote: »
    maybe the op is going a bit ott but if i came round a corner with my kids in the car onto muck and crap on the road i would be very annoyed. i alway clean up during and after if road is dirty also would have red cones warning of danger if an accident happened i could never forgive myself .As for the smart comments on here cop the fook on

    ^ agree this - we all live in the same country and use the same roads. The trouble about common sense is that it's not that common....


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭ mf240


    biddy2013 wrote: »
    maybe the op is going a bit ott but if i came round a corner with my kids in the car onto muck and crap on the road i would be very annoyed. i alway clean up during and after if road is dirty also would have red cones warning of danger if an accident happened i could never forgive myself .As for the smart comments on here cop the fook on

    You shouldn't be speeding on back roads anyway as you never know what is around the corner.

    A lad up the road spread dung before Christmas and there was a good bit of it on a bad bend.

    Unbelievably the council came out and put up signs for him when he asked them. He did sweep the worst of it up but it was still pretty bad.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 biddy2013


    mf240 wrote: »
    You shouldn't be speeding on back roads anyway as you never know what is around the corner.

    A lad up the road spread dung before Christmas and there was a good bit of it on a bad bend.

    Unbelievably the council came out and put up signs for him when he asked them. He did sweep the worst of it up but it was still pretty bad.
    who said anything about speeding hit the brakes on a bit of dung and where do you end up???? it goes back to basic manners, a few cones and clean up after yourself


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,282 Deepsouthwest


    Put up a photo so we can see how bad it is

    +1 on that


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭ td5man


    biddy2013 wrote: »
    who said anything about speeding hit the brakes on a bit of dung and where do you end up???? it goes back to basic manners, a few cones and clean up after yourself
    I always clean the road here after I've been on the road it still doesn't stop some as#*o*es report ing to the council wasting their time and mine manners works both ways they could have came to me instead off reporting it first and all it did was make them look annoying .


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 biddy2013


    td5man wrote: »
    I always clean the road here after I've been on the road it still doesn't stop some as#*o*es report ing to the council wasting their time and mine manners works both ways they could have came to me instead off reporting it first and all it did was make them look annoying .
    yup i have similar too but at the same time for all the bad ones i have good ones.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 Miname


    whats the rules or does anyone know. i was spreading fym yesterday, there were 2 tractors drawing. i packed the dung and ran the teleporter bucket on the face of each load so as to avoid spills and kept the yard scraped as best as i could but there was still dirt being pulled out onto the roads at the entrances to the yard and the field. there was no major build up or anything but it was still dirty. an hour after finishing spreading the muck on the roads was dried and although had browned the tar was causing no issue.
    Should i have been out with a road sweeper after every couple of loads once theres no major build i think its just part and parcel of living in the country.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭ td5man


    biddy2013 wrote: »
    yup i have similar too but at the same time for all the bad ones i have good ones.

    Your lucky then .


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭ keep going


    This thread reminded me of one of my little pet hates which is fellas who let their bales in the corner of the field and then draw them out one by one during the winter.its just bad organization shows a lack of thought for other people


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,793 ✭✭✭✭ Reggie.


    keep going wrote: »
    This thread reminded me of one of my little pet hates which is fellas who let their bales in the corner of the field and then draw them out one by one during the winter.its just bad organization shows a lack of thought for other people

    +1


Advertisement