Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booze deals [Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭Charlie

rubadub wrote: »
    when they were in the case it was not obvious, its only 12% smaller, also the fact that I never in my life had seen 440ml heinekens before so was not on the lookout. Its actually my preferred can size, as long as the price was the same per litre I would happily take 440 over 500ml cans.

Agree. 440ml is the optimum size. No Greg’s wastage in them cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

I hate 440ml. Any time i pour it into my pint glass it always looks like someone has already taken a slug out of my drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭deisedav

18 cans of hop house in aldi for 25. Not sure if thats a great bargin or not but its normally 8 cans for 14.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭elperello

deisedav wrote: »
    18 cans of hop house in aldi for 25. Not sure if thats a great bargin or not but its normally 8 cans for 14.

If you like Hop House (which I do) it's a great bargain.

Life under lockdown is no time to be drinking beer you don't like.

Centra have 20 x Carlsberg 300ml bottles for €16.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭RayCon

Franziskaner 500ml bottle are 4 for €6 in Lidl this week :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Phoenix3

elperello wrote: »
    If you like Hop House (which I do) it's a great bargain.

Life under lockdown is no time to be drinking beer you don't like.

Centra have 20 x Carlsberg 300ml bottles for €16.

Molloys are doing 24 cans of Hop House for €25 over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Phoenix3 wrote: »
    Molloys are doing 24 cans of Hop House for €25 over the weekend.

Surely the offi isn’t open!?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,488 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Surely the offi isn’t open!?

Tis an essential service, and if the Supermarkets can sling booze?
    Why can't the offices?

banie01 wrote: »
    Why can't the offices?

Seriously is it open? That’s mental if it is. I’ve a feeling I’m being trolled.

Supermarkets just happen to sell alcohol. They sell all sorts of things so I’ve zero issue with someone picking up a few cans of whatever when in getting the bread and milk but surely to god an off-licence is not an essential service.

I ordered a big box of beer online the other night so there’s other avenues.

Seriously is it open? That’s mental if it is. I’ve a feeling I’m being trolled.

Supermarkets just happen to sell alcohol. They sell all sorts of things so I’ve zero issue with someone picking up a few cans of whatever when in getting the bread and milk but surely to god an off-licence is not an essential service.

Supermarkets that happen to sell alcohol, must have an off sales license and the off license must be capable of being segregated from the store.

That's why off license sales hours and restrictions apply to supermarkets.
    The choice could have been made to restrict off license sales and it would have applied to all off sales, supermarkets included.

Off licenses are on the list of essential services, they can't be taken off that list without Supermarkets closing their off sales section too.

Keeping off sales Active, keeps a revenue stream functioning for government in a time of collapsed tax return.
    It also prevents hospitals and 1st line services being overwhelmed with alcoholic folk in withdrawal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Tesco
    Carlsberg 24x500ml €25
    Southern Comfort/Paddy/Bushmills/Tullamore DEW/Dunphys 70Cl €20
    Smirnoff/Gordons/Captain Morgan/Bacardi 1L €25
    Jack Daniel's 70Cl €25
    Jameson Caskmates Stout Irish Whiskey 70Cl €27
    Johnnie Walker Black Label Whisky 70Cl €30
    Sausage Tree Pure Irish Vodka 70Cl €40 (was €49, wtf..distilled with sausage tree fruit, Irish grain & wild Irish nettle... might cure the boredom, what could possibly go wrong)

Dunnes
    Carlsberg 24x500ml €25
    Smirnoff/CDG/Captain Morgan 1L €25
    Jameson/Bombay/Jack Daniels 70Cl €25

SuperValu
    Heineken 20x330ml €18
    Carlsberg, Bulmers+Light 20x300ml €18

Supermarkets that happen to sell alcohol, must have an off sales license and the off license must be capable of being segregated from the store.

That's why off license sales hours and restrictions apply to supermarkets.
    The choice could have been made to restrict off license sales and it would have applied to all off sales, supermarkets included.

Off licenses are on the list of essential services, they can't be taken off that list without Supermarkets closing their off sales section too.

Keeping off sales Active, keeps a revenue stream functioning for government in a time of collapsed tax return.
    It also prevents hospitals and 1st line services being overwhelmed with alcoholic folk in withdrawal.

If someone wants to put themselves at risk by going to an off-licence and convince themselves that it was “essential” well more fool them.

I’m honestly surprised that they’re open. Absolutely zero reason for them to be open in a physical sense. They easily could do business by courier with a small fee for small orders etc.

Anyway doesn’t affect me but I just think it’s completely unnecessary in the current situation.

Oh and yes I know supermarkets apply for the licence etc but I’m not saying alcohol sales should be restricted.

As I say if a person is in the shop anyway grand buy your beer but going to a shop to stand around other people just to buy alcohol only is stupidity plain and simple, stupidity.

Again maybe I’m being trolled here and if so you got me good.

If someone wants to put themselves at risk by going to an off-licence and convince themselves that it was “essential” well more fool them.

Someon e going to an off license to purchase beer is at the same quantitative risk as someone going to a supermarket.

You keep querying whether or not you are being trolled?
    All while posting to an internet forum? You have access to the same info everyone here has, rather than worry about being trolled, use the great resource at your fingertips, whichever search engine you like and then focus on the actual "why" of why there still open.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Why can't the offices?

Jaysus there is never any booze in my office

Seve OB wrote: »
    Jaysus there is never any booze in my office

Damn autocorrect... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I'm my area anyway it's far safer buying booze in my offy than in my tesco. Tesco involves a 15-45 minute wait outside it with loads of other people in 2m gaps that aren't really 2m and then you go inside and are in contact with loads of other people.

My offy is generally empty, no queue, go in, get what you want, pay the one dude behind the counter using contactless and leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

20 for 24 cans of the black stuff in my local lidl, wilton cork still. Just replinished my stocks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

20 for 24 cans of the black stuff in my local lidl, wilton cork still. Just replinished my stocks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

when they were in the case it was not obvious, its only 12% smaller, also the fact that I never in my life had seen 440ml heinekens before so was not on the lookout. Its actually my preferred can size, as long as the price was the same per litre I would happily take 440 over 500ml cans.

Prefer the 330ml cans myself. Again if the price is right. Cant get them in the Republic for some stupid reason. 6 pounds for 6 in the north or 12 for 9 pounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

I’m honestly surprised that they’re open. Absolutely zero reason for them to be open in a physical sense. They easily could do business by courier with a small fee for small orders etc.

Anyway doesn’t affect me but I just think it’s completely unnecessary in the current situation.

Oh and yes I know supermarkets apply for the licence etc but I’m not saying alcohol sales should be restricted.

As I say if a person is in the shop anyway grand buy your beer but going to a shop to stand around other people just to buy alcohol only is stupidity plain and simple, stupidity.

Again maybe I’m being trolled here and if so you got me good.

People can literally die just from alcohol withdrawal. So yes it is necessary.

• Advertisement

.G. wrote: »
    I'm my area anyway it's far safer buying booze in my offy than in my tesco. Tesco involves a 15-45 minute wait outside it with loads of other people in 2m gaps that aren't really 2m and then you go inside and are in contact with loads of other people.

My offy is generally empty, no queue, go in, get what you want, pay the one dude behind the counter using contactless and leave.

I don’t doubt that. But you could as easily be buying it online and having it delivered.

No offy should be open. There’s no reason for to be open and it just puts more people at risk. It’s not essential.

I’ll end at that completely off topic. Just shocked is all.

Anyway I’m off to try and find a decent price on a good bottle of rum. For delivery I might add.

I don’t doubt that. But you could as easily be buying it online and having it delivered.

No offy should be open. There’s no reason for to be open and it just puts more people at risk. It’s not essential.

Anyway I’m off to try and find a decent price on a good bottle of rum. For delivery I might add.

25 bucks for captain morgans in dunnes. Get 2 for 40 if you use a 10 off 50 voucher. Mind you you have to go out but it’s ok cause you can get it when getting the milk and bread

Seve OB wrote: »
    25 bucks for captain morgans in dunnes. Get 2 for 40 if you use a 10 off 50 voucher. Mind you you have to go out but it’s ok cause you can get it when getting the milk and bread

Thanks for that. Looking for a good bottle of rum though. Something aged.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Your local off licence should sort you out.

There might be one Sitting at the back of the shelf from last year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Supervalu selling for €21.

Unfortunately I realised too late after paying €25 in Tesco.
    I think they only reduced it today, raging cause I checked yesterday for cheapest prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ellejay wrote: »
    Supervalu selling for €21.

Unfortunately I realised too late after paying €25 in Tesco.
    I think they only reduced it today, raging cause I checked yesterday for cheapest prices.

:confused:
    its only 700ml in supervalu, the one you got in tesco should have been a litre for 25 euro, which is 17.50 per 700ml

• Registered Users Posts: 10,018 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Food and drink retailers are on the essential list. There is no further breakdown on what drinks, hence off licences being open.

Wonder if we'll see a lot of champagne offers when the end of all of this is signalled!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

:confused:
    its only 700ml in supervalu, the one you got in tesco should have been a litre for 25 euro, which is 17.50 per 700ml

noooooo
    it was the smaller bottle, €25
    definitely not the 1 litre, that was thirty something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,814 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Baileys is hard enough to fund cheap or in a smaller bottle

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement