Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booze deals [Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

tesco
    Bulmers Original 12X50cl Can

Special OfferOnly 16.00 Bulmers Original Can
    valid from 26/12/2018 until 22/1/2019
    The organisation's CEO, Padraig Cribben says the move is needed to deal with below-cost selling.
    if they want to stop below cost selling they should be campaigning for it, instead of this ludicrous MUP proposal which sees retailers cleaning up when the money could and should be going into tax coffers.

I would have no real issue with banning below cost selling, it is meant to be rare enough. I reckon some spirits are below cost but would just rise a little, alcohol is cheap to produce.
    We have been campaigning for a decade now on minimum unit pricing
    A quick google and I can find nothing about the vintners and MUP a decade ago, earliest I see is 2013. They have been against below cost, but that is a different thing. MUP still allows BCS to go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Thanks for posting the Tesco price rubadub worls our the same as spar sadly, after paying €20 for 24 cans before Christmas it’s heart breaking lol

On a side note I think there is a thread for below cost selling somewhere

We need more bargains here :D not doom and gloom from breakingnews.ie click bait

The internet isn’t for everyone

L1011 wrote: »
    The underlying concept is clearly against EU law unless you can demonstrate that no other measure can be effective. We are nowhere near close to that - we still allow alcohol advertising. We had minimum pricing on smokes which was overturned by the EU on that basis and that was despite an advertising ban, a retail display ban, second highest taxation in Europe, etc, etc.

If you've read the ECJ judgement, it doesn't say nor imply that a country must try all other avenues first. It must only weigh them up and can only use MUP if it's appropriate and proportionate as compared to other options that don't interfere with Articles 34 and 36.

There is no onus to have a working demonstration that no other measure can be effective, it is enough to have expert opinions from relevant professions that MUP is (again) appropriate and proportionate.

The ECJ also decided that it was up to national courts to ajudge what was appropriate and proportionate. Which the UK Supreme Court did, and ruled that MUP was legal and justified in Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Coolaboy

Heineken 0.0 non alcoholic lager. Great little drink.6 euro for 6 cans. Any offers out there folks??

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

glasso wrote: »
    I like the Perlenbacher 8 as it's the only time you get the decent German version of the Perlenbacher and also 'cos buying 8 makes you feel less like a degenerate compared to if you're buying slabs of 24 cans like Guinness lol!

Why do you say its only time you get the german version ?

Have i been drinking Brewed in the UK pi55 water in the 6 pack version ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

Coolaboy wrote: »
    Heineken 0.0 non alcoholic lager. Great little drink.6 euro for 6 cans. Any offers out there folks??

The aldi baltika is a much nicer NA beer imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Why do you say its only time you get the german version ?

Have i been drinking Brewed in the UK pi55 water in the 6 pack version ?

The 6 pack version is French brewed.
    There has been a running theory here that the 8 pack is nicer.
    Being intrigued by the idea I went as far as to do a blind tasting and couldn't tell the difference.
    Not scientific I know.

Bulmers 8 pack in SuperValu €12 reduced from €13.50
    10th to 23rd of January

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you've read the ECJ judgement, it doesn't say nor imply that a country must try all other avenues first. It must only weigh them up and can only use MUP if it's appropriate and proportionate as compared to other options that don't interfere with Articles 34 and 36.

There is no onus to have a working demonstration that no other measure can be effective, it is enough to have expert opinions from relevant professions that MUP is (again) appropriate and proportionate.

The ECJ also decided that it was up to national courts to ajudge what was appropriate and proportionate. Which the UK Supreme Court did, and ruled that MUP was legal and justified in Scotland.

I'm fairly sure that it'll be found that they haven't done any of that here. But precisely who will take the case that gets it turned over is a different question.

Its a lobbyist measure from the VFI and LVA, nothing else. One has the ear of FF, one has the ear of FG.

It won't do either what they want it to do (return drinkers to pubs) or what they pretend it'll do (reduce problem drinking), but it may increase petty theft, food poverty, etc, etc as problem drinkers spend more.

Done any of what? They don't need to do anything but be able to satisfy our courts that MUP is an appropriate and proportionate response to tackling the health effects of problem drinking.

If you had read my post or had even read newspaper articles about the ECJ judgement you wouldn't be posting wrong information twice in a row.

It also absolutely will reduce problem drinking. Increase in alcohol prices reduces alcohol consumption, this is unequivocally true and to claim otherwise is risible. Whether the benefits of the reduction in alcohol consumption are worth it is a separate issue, but probably one beyond your ability considering you seem to have a love of alternative facts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

Can't understand how MUP isn't anti-competitive under EU Law, as it blatantly penalises low cost producers, who won't be able to leverage the benefits of their cost base, & will have to sell at the same MUP as the big brands.

Guess who loses out when this happens ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If they are brining in minimum unit pricing- who gets the extra revenue- the Revenue Commissioners via hiked taxes, or the retailer?

If they are brining in minimum unit pricing- who gets the extra revenue- the Revenue Commissioners via hiked taxes, or the retailer?

most to the retailer.
    rubadub wrote: »
    if a beer which was €1 now costs €2 then of that extra €1 the government get 19cent via VAT, and the supermarket get 81cent. This is the pure madness of it all, and something all the pro-campaingers/supporters are keeping very quiet about.

most people presume it is some sort of tax, this is a sound assumption as it would be incredibly stupid to just let the supermarket cream in this huge profit on what is supposed to be a "sin tax" -it is incredibly stupid and is exactly what they plan to do. Most people I spoke to thought it was a tax, some refused to believe it was not.

Branded spirits need not rise in price much at all. A 700ml bottle of 37.5% will be €20.71 under MUP. I predict a rise in spirit drinking and so a rise in negative health effects due to MUP. Young lads drinking cheap 3.8% beer will see it more than double in price, while many naggins of vodka are already above MUP. Young lads will turn to naggins as they can get drunker on less units. It would be difficult to get them into a state where they require stomach pumping drinking 3.8% beer.
    I reckon people going up north will likely get a higher ratio of spirits to wine/beer than they ordinarily would buy here.

It also absolutely will reduce problem drinking.
    As in my old post above, I reckon it will have the unintended consequence of pushing the real problem drinkers more towards spirits, and young lads who have yet to develop a problem. Might also be a rise in illegal spirits, many which can contain more harmful chemicals. If they raised excise this would not be a potential problem, spirits currently have higher excise making weak beer the cheaper option per unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Coolaboy wrote: »

Paid €5.30 for a 33cl bottle in a pub recently.A pint of Guinness was 5.20 !!

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

It'll be interesting to see what happens to the more premium craft stuff if MUP comes in.
    Let's say a bottle of IPA that is €3 at the moment. MUP could bring the cheap lager from €1.50 to 2.50. Will it just narrow the gap between the cheap beer and craft IPA, or will the craft prices be increased too?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Can we leave the MUP to its own thread please, this is Bargain alerts.
    Beer & Wine & Spirts is more suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Tesco

Stella Artois

20 x 284ml E17 down from E20

Not a huge reduction but I haven't seen a Stella discount for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

If Perlenbacher is in Lidl this week, the Polish 7.2% Argus should be in next week or the week after. Used to be €1.50/500ml, think it went up to €1.70 last year but still a great deal!

I got a few 500ml bottles today and they were €1.50

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Yellow Dog

This weekend Lidl have Saint Emilion Gran Cru half price at €7.49

https://www.lidl.ie/en/super-savers.htm?articleId=15497

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Went into my local lidl last night looking for a few bottles of Argus but none to be found so I picked up 8 cans of Bulmers for 10:99.
    It was quiet so I asked the girl behind the till was polish week this week or next week and she replied some stuff is out on the floor.
    So I asked did all the Argus beer sell out and she asked was I referring to l the black can the white can or the bottle?
    I told her the bottle but I said there's no problem I was just wondering, she said she was sure she saw it in the back room so low and behold she arrives out with a full unopened case of microfiltered golden nectar,
    I asked were they being held off till a certain day and she said no they just didn't have room to display them?????
    Anyway it would have been rude to return the Bulmers so I arrived home with them plus a case of Argus.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the XXL perlenbacher was also being held back until they clear their Christmas stock.

• Advertisement

I checked bulmers in my local Lidl and it’s €13 for 8 cans which is strange I thought it would be the same price in all the stores
    I popped over to SuperValu and got 3 x 8 packs for €36 and used a shop and save voucher the till spar out the day before which gave me €7 off so €29 for 24

• Registered Users Posts: 27,981 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yellow Dog wrote: »
    This weekend Lidl have Saint Emilion Gran Cru half price at €7.49
    https://www.lidl.ie/en/super-savers.htm?articleId=15497

Still €7.50 let's hope it won't fly off the shelves as quickly as the cheaper ones so I might actually get some!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭badker

I wouldn't be surprised if the XXL perlenbacher was also being held back until they clear their Christmas stock.

it was out yesterday in my store

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭keavebm

10 cans of Budweiser for €15 in tecsco

Still some Budweiser in my local Lidl €24 for 24 cans

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭jousting with chairs

Bub 24 for €25, Molson 24 for €22 Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

Bub 24 for €25, Molson 24 for €22 Dunnes.
    that all dunnes?

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭jousting with chairs

rafatoni wrote: »
    that all dunnes?

Tralee branch, Dunnes offers usually cover most stores though.

tesco

Molson Canadian Premium Lager 20X330ml Bottle

Special OfferOnly 15.00 Molson Canadian Premiu...

Peroni Nastro Azzurro 12X330ml

Special OfferOnly 16.00 Peroni Nastro Azzurro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,981 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Still loads of the Perlenbacher XXL in LIDL D3, I got some of the half price Saint Emilion but didn't seem to be too much of it left and that was 1030.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement