Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Army/Navy Recruitment 2014

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Nicki80

They said in recruitment office u will get an email.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Shice

i did mine in july still no word back

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Nicki80

Yeah same with my brother he did medical July and nothing since I suppose no news is good news. If anyone gets a shout for this months intake can u let us know thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 carl91

hi I'm thinking about joining but I'm not exactly fit anyways I was just wondering how long is the training and when can you go home as iv a young baby and gf and don't wana leave them for to long thanks for any advice or help

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Fit fi

Hi my son just had his medical last Wednesday up in Collins barracks for the army they didn't give him any indication as to how it went, just to wait for an email to find out if he passed or not, has anyone else had theirs and were they told anything, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 ja1994

Has anyone on the panel heard anything yet or will it defo be next year when we hear anything?

Well my son got the email yesterday to say he got his place and he's starting next Tuesday so we're all delighted so imagine if anyone else had their medical in October they should be hearing now as well

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ja1994

Fair play hope it goes well for him, wheres he starting? This panel is a pain altogether,

Thanks so much he's starting in cork, they told him he'll be there for a few weeks so he'll probably be moved somewhere else then but who knows he could end up doing all his training in cork, the best of luck to you I hope you hear soon, post it when you hear, the waiting is torturous alright

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Kirm2

I'm looking for some advice please from members of the PDF.

Having completed the two weeks FTT for the RDF I found the 14 hour days both physically and mentally exhausting.

I have applied for PDF in March this year and am on the 2015 panel. This has always been my chosen career since childhood, however, I would like to know from a PDF member if their training is also 14 hour days 7 days per week for 6 months or is it a shorter day drawn out over the duration - having done the RDF camp if it's the same intensity how can anyone endure 6 months of that?

I'm hoping that it's not as intense as there's a lot more time - any legitimate advice very welcome as I don't want to give up my career if I'm mistaken.

If it's not ok to post here please message me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Popeyede

Kirm2 wrote: »
    I'm looking for some advice please from members of ....If it's not ok to post here please message me.

Kirm2 of you found two days of rdf training physical and mentally exhausting.

Don't join unless you want it more than anything.

It will be a good day when you only work 14 hours during basic.

You will be flat out each and every minute of the day.

Even during your rest periods you will be ironing kit, polishing boots, hours of study.

Popeyede wrote: »
    Kirm2 of you found two days of rdf training physical and mentally exhausting.

Don't join unless you want it more than anything.

It will be a good day when you only work 14 hours during basic.

You will be flat out each and every minute of the day.

Even during your rest periods you will be ironing kit, polishing boots, hours of study.

My mistake that should have read two WEEKS.

I thought that maybe it was so tough because it was all condensed into the two weeks whereas the PDF training is so much longer. I hoped that you might get a day off a week or every two weeks at least in the PDF.

My question still stands - is it 14 hour days every single day for 6 months or is there at least some time off.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

My question still stands - is it 14 hour days every single day for 6 months or is there at least some time off.

You get days off during recruit training. The frequency of days off will vary, but you definitely get time off.

IRLConor wrote: »
    You get days off during recruit training. The frequency of days off will vary, but you definitely get time off.

Thank you for your reply, that's some refief at least. Are the training days still in and around the 14 hour mark?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Thank you for your reply, that's some refief at least. Are the training days still in and around the 14 hour mark?

I only know about the days off because I've met a friend of mine a few times since he started recruit training.

He's pretty tight lipped about the training, but from what little he has said some days are easier than others. None of them sound easy though!

Ah Kirm that's a little different.

Yes you get some down time, it is strictly limited at the start and you get more as you go along.

But the training day is often 14 hours and longer.

As well as that there is no comparison between the RDF and PDF level of training.

You will never be ran so hard, inspected so deeply or monitored so closely.

I have trained numerous basic and P/NCO and various other courses.

It will be challenging, demanding bit ultimately rewarding.

It is a great source of pride to be tested and not found wanting.

Popeyede wrote: »
    Ah Kirm that's a little different.

Yes you get some down time, it is strictly limited at the start and you get more as you go along.

But the training day is often 14 hours and longer.

As well as that there is no comparison between the RDF and PDF level of training.

You will never be ran so hard, inspected so deeply or monitored so closely.

I have trained numerous basic and P/NCO and various other courses.

It will be challenging, demanding bit ultimately rewarding.

It is a great source of pride to be tested and not found wanting.

Thanks for that. I just wondered how on earth any human could continue without a break at that pace for 6 months, good to know that there will be rest in some form.

No problem kirm2.

What service did you apply for?

Not that it matters really they will just be to different shaped programmes that achieve the same out come.

Remember one of the reasons for a tough induction period is to weed out the weak and mentally less abled.

Dingbats still slip through because often the truly stupid have no real understanding of what is going on and just lash themselves into everything so they eventually get there.

Other times the horrid ones can slip through because they are as cute as a sh1thouse rat.

But that's ok unfortunately the stupid and the nasty can make good soldiers/sailors.

The stupid don't understand pain and are always available for work because they are to thick to avoid it and the nasty are vicious and cunning in a fire fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mystic

Update for those waiting on 2015 panel.

My son got an e-mail asking if he was still interested in participating in induction for 2015 for the Dublin area. Closing date and time is Monday @ 2pm.

Of course, he replied 'yes'.

I'm just wondering if anybody else got this e-mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭M763

mystic wrote: »
    Update for those waiting on 2015 panel.

My son got an e-mail asking if he was still interested in participating in induction for 2015 for the Dublin area. Closing date and time is Monday @ 2pm.

Of course, he replied 'yes'.

I'm just wondering if anybody else got this e-mail.

Yeah I got the same email. Wrote back yes of course. Hopefully we will hear back soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 YOGI123

My son is still waiting for news on the panel. He got an email in December asking if he is still interested and he obv wrote back yes. Then he got sent out a guarda vetting form to do out and send in but since then nothing. Anybody getting dates for medicals or anything yet?

YOGI123 wrote: »
    My son is still waiting for news on the panel. He got an email in December asking if he is still interested and he obv wrote back yes. Then he got sent out a guarda vetting form to do out and send in but since then nothing. Anybody getting dates for medicals or anything yet?

I'm on that panel but haven't heard anything since being placed on it - didn't get the one in December do I've nooooo idea what's happening

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Kanedean16

Just an update for anybody still waiting on any word for the panel, I got an email today saying I failed the competition because I never attended a fitness test ? Turns out it was an error and that was for the rdf, anyways I asked on the phone when will the people on the panel be starting and he said the medical is coming up soon and around March we'll be starting , hopefully anyways!!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Ben1994

Kanedean16 wrote: »
    Just an update for anybody still waiting on any word for the panel, I got an email today saying I failed the competition because I never attended a fitness test ? Turns out it was an error and that was for the rdf, anyways I asked on the phone when will the people on the panel be starting and he said the medical is coming up soon and around March we'll be starting , hopefully anyways!!

Good stuff, Almost a year to when we applied finally getting somewhere.

Ben1994 wrote: »
    Good stuff, Almost a year to when we applied finally getting somewhere.

I was only thinking that myself , hopefully the medical goes to plan and the wait will be finally over!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I realise that this recruitment is over, but when is it likely therre will be another recuitment? a few years?
    Also what is the age limit?

Pangea wrote: »
    I realise that this recruitment is over, but when is it likely therre will be another recuitment? a few years?
    Also what is the age limit?

Not too sure probably the end of this year or next year and you can't join over the age of 24 as a recruit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Not too sure probably the end of this year or next year and you can't join over the age of 24 as a recruit

wow thats low. :eek: so if you are 28 you are told old for the army?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭agent graves

no...... The Air Force raised the maximum age for enlisted accession from 27 to 39, meaning it may now be the best choice for those who feel the call to military service later in life. The maximum age for Army enlisted recruits is 35, while the Navy and Marines cap recruit ages at 34 and 28, respectively.

• Advertisement
Advertisement