Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Army/Navy Recruitment 2014

Options
  • 11-03-2014 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭

So its time again for the long process of recruitment for the Irish Military

Thought I'd make a new thread for this years one start fresh unless theirs already one made? if so I'm sorry mod can you delete this or merge it thanks :)

For anyone looking too apply the link is below

http://www.military.ie/careers/current-competitions/

Really looking forward to this, have trained for the past 5 months hoping their would be another recruitment drive coming up and looks like I have a chance now to try out. ( I know 5months does not seem like much but I know I will ace the fitness test so hopefully I make it through too the end that will give me a few more months of training)
    I'm 20 years old, never applied before mainly because I wasn't ready mentally or physically but I think I am ready now.

Mainly posted this thread so we can all keep each other updated through the process, and post how we got on in the tests and interviews. Also for us too ask questions that anyone might know the answer too.

I applied for the Army as I've had an interest in joining for the past few years.

Goodluck everyone who applies :)

so too start this thread of with a question which is simple enough too answer I suppose but has me confused

In the application form, it asks where you a member of the pdf/gardi etc..
    gives you a few options too tick which one you were in and asks for your service number and discharge number. I was not a member of any of these but right after the discharge number question it asks for employment details.
    Is the employment details question only related too the pdf/gardi/reserve gardi? Or is it a general overall question about where I worked before like in a retail store?
    Cheers for any reply:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Juicy432

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »

Thought I'd make a new thread for this years one start fresh unless theirs already one made? if so I'm sorry mod can you delete this or merge it thanks :)

Really looking forward to this, have trained for the past 5 months hoping their would be another recruitment drive coming up and looks like I have a chance now to try out. ( I know 5months does not seem like much but I know I will ace the fitness test so hopefully I make it through too the end that will give me a few more months of training)
    I'm 20 years old, never applied before mainly because I wasn't ready mentally or physically but I think I am ready now.

Mainly posted this thread so we can all keep each other updated through the process, and post how we got on in the tests and interviews. Also for us too ask questions that anyone might know the answer too.

I applied for the Army as I've had an interest in joining for the past few years.

so too start this thread of with a question which is simple enough too answer I suppose but has me confused

gives you a few options too tick which one you were in and asks for your service number and discharge number. I was not a member of any of these but right after the discharge number question it asks for employment details.
    Is the employment details question only related too the pdf/gardi/reserve gardi? Or is it a general overall question about where I worked before like in a retail store?

Only applied last night and I've received my date for the fitness test about ten mins ago for next Wens the 19th.

Yes, you have to enter your previous employment details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 limk2014

Juicy432 wrote: »
    Only applied last night and I've received my date for the fitness test about ten mins ago for next Wens the 19th.

Yes, you have to enter your previous employment details.

Did you apply for both the army and navy? You got the date very fast. I didn't think they'd message anyone until the application date closed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

limk2014 wrote: »
    Did you apply for both the army and navy? You got the date very fast. I didn't think they'd message anyone until the application date closed

I thought the same well sooner the better i suppose they probably want it done fast with no hiccups

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭j80ezgvc3p92xu

The army website says they are not recruiting cadets.. Does anyone know when this recruitment will be happening? Is it on an annual basis? Sorry to cut in but the cadets would be the only 'part' I would be interested in...

• Registered Users Posts: 10 bpc93

does anybody know where the training is this time?is it the curragh?

• Advertisement

hey lads and ladies im wondering what the chances are of getting back into the army after already being in it..
    i was in it 2 years ago and i dropped out a few weeks before passing out..i wasnt in the right frame of mind atal had a lot of stuff going on outside of training and i cracked..but i regret it every single day.everything is sorted and im ready for it 100% iv applied again for both the army and navy and just want to know does anyone have any idea on the chances of me being accepted again?any info would b great thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

bpc93 wrote: »
    does anybody know where the training is this time?is it the curragh?

It can be any place. The girlfriend last year trained in Gormanstown, there were two platoons training there at different intervals, there was a platoon in dundalk at the same time. It depends.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

hey lads and ladies im wondering what the chances are of getting back into the army after already being in it..
    i was in it 2 years ago and i dropped out a few weeks before passing out..i wasnt in the right frame of mind atal had a lot of stuff going on outside of training and i cracked..but i regret it every single day.everything is sorted and im ready for it 100% iv applied again for both the army and navy and just want to know does anyone have any idea on the chances of me being accepted again?any info would b great thanks.

If you pass fitness, Medical, Only issue i can see will be interview, You will be watched closely at this stage to see are you capable of attending training- But if you inpress and pass all stages you have same chances as anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

Got an email today telling me to be up for the fitness test in Dublin on Tuesday the 18th.

Got the date a lot quicker than I was expecting! Hopefully Ill be up to standard by then.

Started training about a month ago but I wasn't exactly unfit before hand, was always fairly active.

Best of luck to all who applied anyway!

brembo26 wrote: »
    Got an email today telling me to be up for the fitness test in Dublin on Tuesday the 18th.

Got the date a lot quicker than I was expecting! Hopefully Ill be up to standard by then.

Started training about a month ago but I wasn't exactly unfit before hand, was always fairly active.

Best of luck to all who applied anyway!

got mine too for the 19th :) best of luck every1..
    if we are lucky enuf to get in i hope the training is in galway or something ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

got mine too for the 19th :) best of luck every1..
    if we are lucky enuf to get in i hope the training is in galway or something ha

I'm from Galway so that would suit me down to the ground! haha! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭sharpy2010

Chances are up to you. It shouldnt hold you back and I know people who have done it in the past (mainly Navy to Army as its easier to leave and re-enlist than to transfer out) My advice to you is to use your leaving as a stick to beat off hard questions than to hide it or use it as a crutch. If you prepare for the interview around all of that you will be fine as you have passed in the past but if try to breeze past it any good interviewer will bring it up to test you harder than anyone else. its true what they say "proper prepartion prevents piss poor performance"
    so use it, tell them exactly what you said here. In the past you had issues that needed to be dealt with and rather than push on through to passing out and then taking personal leave (wasting army time) you took it upon yourself to leave sort your issues and you are back with a stronger resolve. It shows commitment and a level of grown up attitude about you.
    Recently had 2 friends who were in the navy one guy did his 5 years and was looking for a transfer to the Army and was told he wouldnt get it, he packed in and left. Another guy, same thing but because he was still 23/24 he applied for the Army and got it after leaving Navy as he had shown his resolve and commitment.

Sorry for the long post:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jonnyf147

Hi, so I have recently passed my fitness test and just wanted to know when I will hear anything about the next stage, wich I believe is the unsupervised psychometric test,

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

Hi can anyone answer the following for me? Have difficulty finding the answers..

1. Is there a recruitment booklet , out king terns of service etc...

Also can someone tell me the exact stages in the recruitment process for the PDF and RDF.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Hi can anyone answer the following for me? Have difficulty finding the answers..

1. Is there a recruitment booklet , out king terns of service etc...

Also can someone tell me the exact stages in the recruitment process for the PDF and RDF.

Yes, if you are successful with your application and join you should receive a booklet, as well as lectures on contracts etc.

PDF recruitment consist of:

Application questioneere,

Fitness test,

Aptitude test,

Interview,

Medical

Start training.

If I remember correctly that's the order of the process for PDF.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭thesamster

Remember a operational soldier is never ready for inspection

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Poppy127

Hi just got my date therefor cork for my fitness test.. Can anybody tell me how long does the reserve go on for ? Like I'm doing my leaving cert and want to do it during summer . My brother did the reserve for 3 weeks is this what the reserve is ?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Chriskeohan

Lads anyone get call for medical yet?? I had interview 3 weeks ago 2moro just wondering dis anyone hear back.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Gorman700

Anyone heard anything since the interviews?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 limk2014

I'd say the last of the interviews were probably done today.. There were definitely interviews on Wednesday so I'd imagine we'll find out in the next fortnight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Interviews only finishing now in Eastern Brigade, so wouldn't expect to hear anything too immediately. That said, it's been fairly quick so far.

I was interviewed for southern brigade 4 weeks ago. Wonder will they wait till the eastern brigade are finished and call all recriuts 2gether or what? 4 weeks seems a bit long considering the rest of the stages that i done only had 2-3 weeks response time. Anyone else get interviewed in Cork hear back??

Lads got the call for a 2nd aptitude on Tuesday 24th June. Anybody else hear anything??

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭killer91

Yeh I'm in on the Wednesday meself.

I wonder how much of a difference they will let ya away with.

As far as I know it's 15-20% which is not much considerin dares not a whole lot of questions. I've heard on Facebook somebody posted they have a MEDICAL Monday not an apptitude does anybody else no anything about this??

• Registered Users Posts: 29 egan04921

lads i went for navy and army and got interviewed for both but iv only got word back from the navy about the second altitude test, has anyone heard back from the army ??

• Registered Users Posts: 24 vivalaquinta

I heard from the army, have to do another psychometric test in the Curragh.

My mate got word saying he is suitable for the Defence Forces and awaiting a date for a medical.

Strange why they are making some of us do another test and others don't have to

I've heard back from the army just a few days ago. Have 2nd aptitude Tuesday next week

I heard from the army, have to do another psychometric test in the Curragh.

My mate got word saying he is suitable for the Defence Forces and awaiting a date for a medical.

Strange why they are making some of us do another test and others don't have to

Yea I'm the same, 2nd psychometric. If you find out why let me know. Wat results did u get in the 1st one??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 egan04921

ye my navy test is in the currgah so i dont know if its for the two of them or just the navy ??

Advertisement