Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stage 2 - Band 2 (601-3100)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

You do realise the pay is ****e (like €23k)?

MOD

There is already a Garda Pay thread which you are already involved in, please use that thread and leave this for discussion of Stage 2-Band 2

-KERSPLAT!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Was already linked in one of the other threads but thought it was worthy of a mention here as reading it seems to allude to the possibility of more recruits being needed than perhaps first thought. Gardai have to apply by 31st May - perhaps the second intake for October could be larger than 105 depending on how many existing Gardai apply for this.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/36000-career-breaks-spark-garda-manpower-fears-30118981.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

redout wrote: »
    Was already linked in one of the other threads but thought it was worthy of a mention here as reading it seems to allude to the possibility of more recruits being needed than perhaps first thought. Gardai have to apply by 31st May - perhaps the second intake for October could be larger than 105 depending on how many existing Gardai apply for this.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/36000-career-breaks-spark-garda-manpower-fears-30118981.html

I'm not sure if this will mean extra recruitment as the intention is to reduce the pay bill. However it is a worrying development. I can see young Gardaí, many who would have other skills from previous employment, taking career breaks, renting their houses and going off to the States, Australia or the UK and taking up employment there. The Garda Siochana is bad enough with the massive retirement of experience members over the last five years but if those with five to ten years service, who are invariably on the frontline, start leaving it will really damage the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

not much happening for this band is there folks! has anyone outside the top 600 made it on to stage 3 yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Kimiko2012

slingerz wrote: »
    not much happening for this band is there folks! has anyone outside the top 600 made it on to stage 3 yet?

Heard nothing yet anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 andmc

Hang in there lads and ladies! Once the first 600 have been whittled down and the cream put into Templemore around July they'll be straight back for the next 600ish (601-1200) to complete stage 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

They will prob take more than 600 since they had so many dropouts and no shows in the top 600

you guys will be getting a call this year no doubt at all in my mind. Maybe even late summer

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭galalala123

I think it could be sooner rather than later for ye. After all PAS is finished with us after this stage so it would make sense to get the ball rolling with ye so that they dont have to rush as much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

WilcoOut wrote: »
    They will prob take more than 600 since they had so many dropouts and no shows in the top 600

Really? Has there been a lot of no shows? It would obviously be beneficial for those who have gotten to interview I.e. less competition. But how you could attend stage 3, and then bow out at interview stage has me perplexed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Rothmans wrote: »
    Really? Has there been a lot of no shows? It would obviously be beneficial for those who have gotten to interview I.e. less competition. But how you could attend stage 3, and then bow out at interview stage has me perplexed

People bowed out at stage 3

lots of people sat the tests online while abroad it would seem. When they got the call for stage 3, they didnt travel home.

• Advertisement

you guys will be getting a call this year no doubt at all in my mind. Maybe even late summer

I really hope so wilco :) thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

People bowed out at stage 3

lots of people sat the tests online while abroad it would seem. When they got the call for stage 3, they didnt travel home.

Obviously the more intelligent ones have left the country it seems !

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭octigen

Rothmans wrote: »

I asked one of the supervisors at stage 3 about attendance and she said there were only 1 or 2 absent on any of the days. I was one of the last to do stage 3 so if you were to take it at her word they 570+ showed up from 600.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

octigen wrote: »
    I asked one of the supervisors at stage 3 about attendance and she said there were only 1 or 2 absent on any of the days. I was one of the last to do stage 3 so if you were to take it at her word they 570+ showed up from 600.

I can assure you there was more than one or two missing on my stage 3 day. I'd say closer to 10...

• Registered Users Posts: 33 PaulMCKM

How are people feeling about they're chances of being called to stage 3 now that approx 250 passed stage 4 and still the irish stream to be given they're results?

Wasn't expecting out of the 600 for 250 to get through considering the massive cuts at stage 1&2.

PaulMCKM wrote: »
    How are people feeling about they're chances of being called to stage 3 now that approx 250 passed stage 4 and still the irish stream to be given they're results?

Wasn't expecting out of the 600 for 250 to get through considering the massive cuts at stage 1&2.

If 250 passed the interview as you say then that was still a sizeable cut, about 60% got eliminated. Band 2 (601 - 3000) won't be called until 2015 it would seem if they stick to the two batches of 105 for this year. Even then I wouldn't expect the whole band to be called. Logic would dictate they just call the next 600 i.e. 601 - 1,200.

Considering the force needs a supplementary budget of up to €70m this year and that numbers have fallen below the 13,000 threshold which Callinan called an absolute bottom line figure it seems as though the government doesn't give a shite. The GRA already stated a couple of months ago that there was no money to train new recruits and Shatter had quoted 250-300 recruits, not 210 as has been stated by PAS. It would seem as though they are making it up as they go along. There was certainly no financial planning put in place. That much is obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

i think they will call more than 600 due to the many dropouts, failures and no shows

maybe 800

but i reckon they will be calling end of this year, early next year. be ready!

If 250 passed the interview as you say then that was still a sizeable cut, about 60% got eliminated. Band 2 (601 - 3000) won't be called until 2015 it would seem if they stick to the two batches of 105 for this year. Even then I wouldn't expect the whole band to be called. Logic would dictate they just call the next 600 i.e. 601 - 1,200.

Considering the force needs a supplementary budget of up to €70m this year and that numbers have fallen below the 13,000 threshold which Callinan called an absolute bottom line figure it seems as though the government doesn't give a shite. The GRA already stated a couple of months ago that there was no money to train new recruits and Shatter had quoted 250-300 recruits, not 210 as has been stated by PAS. It would seem as though they are making it up as they go along. There was certainly no financial planning put in place. That much is obvious.

I was expecting a higher cut going off the basis of 6 people for every 1 position based on previous posts by others. I'm in the next 600 so I'm happy to have a 40% chance of succeeding given my previous outlook on it. Just a shame I'll have to wait longer to be called to stage 3 if they decide on the need for more recruits. By that I mean the lack of funds and current number of garda standing at 12,950 only being 50 less than Callinan's bottom line (I expected a lower number) and Callinan is no longer so does his bottom line still stand?

The whole process has been poorly run from my perspective. PAS have made a balls of it especially when they told all in stage 3 they weren't being called to the next stage and the lack of information in the subsequent stages (numbers of those that passed and when to expect results).

Now that a new minister is in place I hope that maybe she can give more definitive answers on numbers of recruits and the training especially as the july start date is next month. I have approached a TD to request if they will ask the Minister to shine some light on the plan and he said he will find out.

I think the next batch will be called soon as PAS are not doing anything now and there will probably be an intake jan/february so they may as well get you started in the next few months. Fingers crossed for ye!

I think the next batch will be called soon as PAS are not doing anything now and there will probably be an intake jan/february so they may as well get you started in the next few months. Fingers crossed for ye!

Oh I do hope so galalala ... im a ball of depression since I got last results at stage 2...im in the 1800s. Like many others its all ive ever wanted. The longer time goes the less hope I have im truly gutted :(

• Advertisement

Lads there is no money to train the first batch of recruits. Why in the name of god would they be pressing ahead with the next batch when they can't even fund basic Garda operations? The GRA made that clear a couple of months ago and it has only been further compounded by last weeks revelation that AGS needs a supplementary budget of €70m for this year alone. They already have the numbers for this year (250 passed interview) and they need 210. No doubt a small amount will fall because of BR, medical and PCT. There will actually be a few more as the Irish stream has yet to hear back. Odds are they just stick to the same procedure and take on recruits in July and October of 2015. If that is the case then the next batch will probably get called forward for stage 3 in around March 2015 considering that is when the current batch were called for stage 3 this year. With a bit of luck hopefully somebody will actually bother to factor in the cost of training new recruits into next years Garda budget come October.

Lads there is no money to train the first batch of recruits. Why in the name of god would they be pressing ahead with the next batch when they can't even fund basic Garda operations? The GRA made that clear a couple of months ago and it has only been further compounded by last weeks revelation that AGS needs a supplementary budget of €70m for this year alone. They already have the numbers for this year (250 passed interview) and they need 210. No doubt a small amount will fall because of BR, medical and PCT. There will actually be a few more as the Irish stream has yet to hear back. Odds are they just stick to the same procedure and take on recruits in July and October of 2015. If that is the case then the next batch will probably get called forward for stage 3 in around March 2015 considering that is when the current batch were called for stage 3 this year. With a bit of luck hopefully somebody will actually bother to factor in the cost of training new recruits into next years Garda budget come October.

this wouldn't really make sense in my opinion because they would have to have a steady flow of instrucors and gardai up there and that means some would be idle for a few months. Theyll take on around march i reckon when first batch of recruits are finished. They'll find money somewhere they always do. Its dropped to below the 13,000 mark which they dont want.

this wouldn't really make sense in my opinion because they would have to have a steady flow of instrucors and gardai up there and that means some would be idle for a few months. Theyll take on around march i reckon when first batch of recruits are finished. They'll find money somewhere they always do. Its dropped to below the 13,000 mark which they dont want.

I want to remain optimistic about my chances of becoming a member but its hard when no information is being released and there is nothing to go on but the media (who are generally negative) and hear say on here.

Your right about it not making sense to open templemore for a short period. I'd like to believe they will keep it going but with constant talk off cut backs who knows what will happen.

With a new minister and commissioner who knows what they'll do or agree on. The 13000 figure came from Callinan and it has dropped below that yet they were offering a career break (closing date to apply was last week) to gardai to cut the wage bill!! Kind of contradicts not wanting the number of gardai to drop.

I don't agree. It doesn't seem that far fetched. If the second batch of 105 go to Templemore in October as has been mentioned by Pas then they are there for 34 weeks. That would bring them to about the start of June 2015. If they follow the same procedure as this year then the next batch will start a few weeks later in July.

I don't agree. It doesn't seem that far fetched. If the second batch of 105 go to Templemore in October as has been mentioned by Pas then they are there for 34 weeks. That would bring them to about the start of June 2015. If they follow the same procedure as this year then the next batch will start a few weeks later in July.

What about when the first batch finishes? That leaves an 18 week gap from when they finish till another batch starts, based on your theory.

What about when the first batch finishes? That leaves an 18 week gap from when they finish till another batch starts, based on your theory.

That's my point. Theyre not going to have instructors doimg nothing at all for a few months. Im in the top 250 so it doesnt matter to me but i'd really start brushing up on the aptitude side of things because a lot of people didnt verify there results and you might not get much notice to the next stage so you need to be crisp.

By the time they finish the second batch of 105 are already there so it is not as if the place is sitting empty.

By the time they finish the second batch of 105 are already there so it is not as if the place is sitting empty.

Yeah it won't be empty but your reducing the number of recruits in half for 18 weeks and i understand there will be an overlap in some training both batches but the extra personnel needed to train the first batch will be idle for this period.

Again its just our speculation and the only ones that know are the Minister and some in AGS. Well I hope they know and are not making it up as they go along!!

Yeah it won't be empty but your reducing the number of recruits in half for 18 weeks and i understand there will be an overlap in some training both batches but the extra personnel needed to train the first batch will be idle for this period.

Again its just our speculation and the only ones that know are the Minister and some in AGS. Well I hope they know and are not making it up as they go along!!

Who knows? For an organisation that is already struggling with numbers I am sure that the higher ups wouldn't mind a few of the experienced personnel pulled from duty to be involved with training back on the job so to speak. Time will tell I suppose.

• Advertisement

Woohoo just got an email for stage 3.

Advertisement