Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Moths 2014

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Anyone ID this moth that has been turning up indoors frequently these past evenings just at dusk - the camera flash makes it look a bit browner in colour than it actually is - I would describe it as more grey than brown - any ideas ?

It's been confirmed as a Dark Arches.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Don't want to open another thread for a basic ID question - but could someone tell me what the species below is? I want to include it on the Rockabill species list for the summer!

BDBD787069D34C66B6C3CDA5F19DF9FA-0000342048-0003649539-00640L-89AE3C7A9AE24ABAB855C46805CA71CC.jpg

A fairly dark Large Yellow Underwing? Was it quite large?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

A fairly dark Large Yellow Underwing? Was it quite large?

That looks to be it, thanks!

(Only remembered when you said it that it was yellow underneath!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Tea Tree

I just remembered this.
    A few weeks back I was in a city centre shopping centre and there was a moth flapping about the high ceiling in that clumsy mothly way. I watched it for a minute and it eventually flew down lower and lower towards the butchers counter and landed on someones back. No one else seemed to notice. I toyed with the idea of saying something to the woman but not sure what the reactionto a total stranger saying "excuse me but there's a large yellow underwing on your back" might be so I left it. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Spotted not in the garden but inside on the wall beside my office door

Can anyone help with an ID please :)
    2DB8251C-C519-4917-93E9-8AB9C11254E1_zpspo01hn0i.jpg

I deposited him/her carefully outside btw

Poplar Hawkmoth - looks like a Him!

http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=28

Advertisement