Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Moths 2014

Options
  • 09-03-2014 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭

2 Common Quakers in the trap this morning were the first moths the year for me. Anyone else get anything interesting so far?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

1 Common Quaker on Friday night. I had a Agonopterix heracliana back on the 17th Feb. Those are my only 2 moths for 2014 in my garden so far.

But back on the 22nd Feb on a friends farm in Co Kildare I caught:

Common Quaker x 1
    Dotted Border x 1
    Chestnut x 3
    March Moth x 2
    Pale Brindled Beauty x 1

Apart from the Common Quaker, they were all new species for me. Having some mature deciduous woodland obviously makes a big difference. I wish I could run a GMS trap down there but it is too far to travel every week:(

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭thebishop

Common Quaker x1 On Friday night.Blank the first night.

Two moths last night.
    Oak Beauty x 1.
    Early Grey x 1. Min temp 6c.

Early Thorn x 1
    Early Grey x 1
    Common Quaker x 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

In the trap this morning:

-Common Quaker (1)
    -Hebrew Character (1)

• Advertisement

Better variety this morning:

-Common Quaker (2)
    -Hebrew Character (1)
    -Dark Sword Grass (1)

Last night:

2 Common Quakers
    2 Hebrew Characters
    2 Early Greys
    2 Agonopterix heracliana

Last nights Hebrew Characters:

52EACAFFE1384ABAAA89C1097CEE6158-0000318105-0003519687-00500L-B4EFEC1CE4EC4892BFA3E268B940EC91.jpg

11 Early Greys, 4 Hebrew Characters and 2 Common Quakers last night despite the temp dropping to below 3 deg C.

Had my first Double-striped Pug of the year on Weds night. Didn't trap GMS night due to weather conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 debarra156

First ever session last night.

3 Common Quakers
    2 Hebrew Characters

• Advertisement

Blank here on Friday night. Weather didn't help.
    This Oak Beauty from The week before.IMG_9456.jpg[/URL

A couple of days ago in the garden:

-Hebrew Character (2)
    -Early Grey (1)
    -Early Thorn (1)
    -Agonopteryx oceallana (1)
    -Common Quaker (2)

2nd ever Irish record of a Tawny Pinion in my garden last Sunday night! Plenty of Early Greys, Hebrew Characters and Common Quakers around plus a Beautiful Plume.

I'm catching a lot of Hebrew Characters. In previous years it would be 1 or 2 per night, now I'm getting 15-20 per night. Is this just happening in my area or are other people seeing the same?

Not much happening down here. One C
    ommon Quaker on Friday night.

I'm catching a lot of Hebrew Characters. In previous years it would be 1 or 2 per night, now I'm getting 15-20 per night. Is this just happening in my area or are other people seeing the same?

Looking through my sightings, I am recording a few more than in the previous few years as well. Maybe more survived due to the mild winter?

Two Hebrew C's were the only thing in the trap this morning.

Had a Robin perched on the 15w actinic bulb this morning, still switched on. Might explain why there were no moths on the outside of the trap!

Last night was the best so far this year:

Common Marbled Carpet (4)
    Muslin Moth (1)
    Knot Grass (1)
    Grey Pine Carpet (1)
    LBAM (1)
    Peppered Moth (1)

The Knot Grass is new for the garden :)

Not much happening down here either. 3 moths last Friday night. 2 the week before. There might be a few tomorrow night with the warm weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Can any of you moth experts or enthusiasts recommend a user friendly guide book on moth identification for species likely to be found here ?
    Most of the books I've seen have hundreds of species , some not occurring here. For a newbie to moth ID like myself, hard to wade through pages & pages looking for an ID match when so many of them look similar to the untrained eye.
    Is there a good user friendly field guide /ID guide to common Irish moths ?
    Thanks !

• Advertisement

Can any of you moth experts or enthusiasts recommend a user friendly guide book on moth identification for species likely to be found here ?
    Most of the books I've seen have hundreds of species , some not occurring here. For a newbie to moth ID like myself, hard to wade through pages & pages looking for an ID match when so many of them look similar to the untrained eye.
    Is there a good user friendly field guide /ID guide to common Irish moths ?
    Thanks !

I started with the "Guide to Garden Wildlife" (http://www.nhbs.com/guide_to_garden_wildlife_tefno_157962.html), which gives about 10 pages of the commoner moths. However, you will almost certainly find something that is not illustrated, which can be quite frustrating. As such, the best option at the moment is the "Concise guide to moths" (http://www.nhbs.com/concise_guide_to_the_moths_of_great_britain_tefno_152238.html), which illustrates all the species found in Britain & Irl. For micro moths this is the best (http://www.nhbs.com/field_guide_to_the_micro_moths_of_great_tefno_184355.html?ad_id=1509).

I know it is quite daunting initially to see 140+ pages of moths, but with a bit of experience you can quickly place any unfamiliar moth to family level at least (Carpets/Hawkmoths/Noctuids) and this significantly cuts down the number of pages to look through. As quite a few non-Irish species are illustrated it may be worth going through the species maps on mothsireland.com and making notes on those that are likely to occur in your area.

Also, feel free to post any unidentified moths here and I am sure you'll get some help. Other options are the moths ireland email exchange or the Birdforum moths pages.

More cockchafers than moths in my traps the last few nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭splish

Water carpet
    AF70CAB334D64115A411AE3A5BF7DECB-0000371741-0003567349-00640L-E4B52D26341649BBBCEDB249A6AAD768.jpg

Last night:

May Highflyer (3)
    Cockchafer (1)

The earliest record of May Highflyer in the garden by almost three weeks.

10 species last night:

Cockchafer (4)
    Least Black Arches (1)
    The Spectacle (1)
    Common Marbled Carpet (3)
    May Highflyer (1)
    Heart & Dart (1)
    Muslin Moth (1)
    Miller (1)
    Clay Triple Lines (1)

The last two are new for the garden. The Heart and Dart is the earliest record by two weeks.

Had my first ever Muslin Moth on Friday night, 12 species in all.

Two new for the garden on Friday night.A Fox moth and a Lobster moth.

Anyone be able to ID this moth - I think ?
    Seen today on my local woodland path !

Anyone be able to ID this moth - I think ?
    Seen today on my local woodland path !

Nice find - a Brown Silver-lines.

http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?bf=1902

• Advertisement

Thanks for that ID V_Moth ! Is the Brown Silver-lines moth common here ? Was looking in common butterfly & moth field guides but couldn't find it ! Habitat description fits exactly - loads of Bracken along the woodland paths !

Advertisement