Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Moths 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bonedigger

I was literally driving into the driveway when I saw this thing whizzing about the perennials in the garden.I watched it for a minute or so and then decided to get the camera,but alas,when I returned it had gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭missloulou

Would anyone know what this beauty is?

It's a Garden Tiger Moth(Arctia caja),and you're right,it is a beauty!

This may be a Garden Tiger Moth caterpillar,but I'm not sure?I photographed this last week.The forum's resident moth experts may be able to confirm this?

798C17197F5C4364931819D3A0FB65F6-0000372749-0003611119-01024L-A01D8C860A464004A1189D982AFD8076.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Got my annual Yellow-tail last night - I always catch one, once a year:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Found this moth on uncultivated damp grassland type habitat today. I have been looking through the online guides and nearest I can see is Common Wave, pattern seems very fresh compared to pictures online though. Would be glad of confirmation of which species this is ?

Found this moth on uncultivated damp grassland type habitat today. I have been looking through the online guides and nearest I can see is Common Wave, pattern seems very fresh compared to pictures online though. Would be glad of confirmation of which species this is ?

It is a micro moth - Beautiful China Mark.

http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?bf=1350

Caught a Dark Spinach last night, first Co Dublin record since at least the 90's according to the distribution map and nationally scarce.

E72FF7E6844441F19FB3AB2FB30171A5-0000318105-0003615190-00500L-8FB5F136A1A44D57A79173DE3A8503A1.jpg

Caught a Dark Spinach last night, first Co Dublin record since at least the 90's according to the distribution map and nationally scarce.

Sorry to burst your bubble - I caught several on Rockabill a few years ago. Still a fantastic record though. Is there some Tree Mallow growing near your trap location?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭thebishop

Had my first goat moth tonight. hope its still photogenic in the morning.
    IMG_9839.jpg

From last night:

-Acleris forsskleana (1)
    -Delplanquiea dilutella (1)
    -Scalloped Oak (2)
    -Swallow-tailed Moth (1)
    -Dun-bar (3)
    -August Thorn (1)
    -Early Thorn (1)
    -Willow Beauty (3)
    -Broad-bordered YU (1 female)
    -Large YU (3)
    -Common Rustic (2)
    -Riband Wave (5)
    -Bright-line Brown Eye (2)
    -Smoky Wainscot (1)
    -Common Footman (2)
    -Four-spotted Footman (1 male)
    -Heart & Dart (4)
    -Udea lutealis (1)
    -Dark Arches (2)
    -Poplar Hawkmoth (2)
    -Fan-foot (1)
    -Light Brown Apple Moth (2)

The Four-spotted Footman (found in the grass beside the trap) and the Delplanquiea are new for the garden.

V_Moth wrote: »
    Sorry to burst your bubble - I caught several on Rockabill a few years ago. Still a fantastic record though. Is there some Tree Mallow growing near your trap location?

Whoops. Forgot that Rockabill is Co Dublin! No idea about Tree Mallow in the area, must have a look.

Yes, there's Tree Mallow in a neighbours garden and out in the railway cutting nearby.

Latticed Heath Moth

8E273C8C09B6443D91E951F1B72BFBE4-0000372749-0003617801-00800L-F039E4F6CAE543E989496CA15C7D2DF9.jpg

CDBFBA010EA8415F930F635C541CC4AF-0000372749-0003617800-00800L-1F70FAAE5E3047B688CE7A11B2CBB583.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

ID please.

17NTHpV.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭splish

The Magpie Abraxas grossulariata

Found this guy in garden shed earlier tonight - in flight it showed orange'ish hue on inner / hind wing close to body ?

Looks like a Large Yellow Underwing.

Looks like a Large Yellow Underwing.

Thanks for the ID help V_Moth , looked up the Large Yellow and the images fit what I had in the shed last night - I did catch glimpses of the orange'ish inner wing when in flight but at rest appeared as per image posted .
    Thanks again !

• Advertisement

Weather permitting, I will have an opportunity to trap on Annagh Head, Belmullet, Co Mayo in a couple of weeks. A low headland with little cover. So can anyone give me advice/opinions on where best to site a trap? Up on the headland or down near the rocky seashore? I've never trapped this type of habitat before and would hate to waste the opportunity with a badly sited trap!

Weather permitting, I will have an opportunity to trap on Annagh Head, Belmullet, Co Mayo in a couple of weeks. A low headland with little cover. So can anyone give me advice/opinions on where best to site a trap? Up on the headland or down near the rocky seashore? I've never trapped this type of habitat before and would hate to waste the opportunity with a badly sited trap!

How about Annagh Marsh and Termoncarragh? They would have a wider range of species than the very exposed headland.

By the way, I would suggest getting in touch with Dave Suddaby (via BirdWatch Ireland) who does some moth trapping locally and may be able to give better advice.

How about Annagh Marsh and Termoncarragh? They would have a wider range of species than the very exposed headland.

By the way, I would suggest getting in touch with Dave Suddaby (via BirdWatch Ireland) who does some moth trapping locally and may be able to give better advice.

Thanks V Moth, but I'll be stuck on the head all night so will trap there (helping with storm petrel ringing).

From last night:

-Riband Wave (Banded) 2
    -Dun-bar (1)
    -Light Brown Apple Moth (1)
    -Small Phoenix (1)
    -Large YU (25)
    -Lesser BBYU (5)
    -Common Rustic (4)
    -Square spot Rustic (1)
    -Willow Beauty (4)
    -Blastobasis adustella (5)
    -The Gothic (1)
    -Copper Underwing (1)
    -Acleris forskleana (1)
    -Heart & Dart (1)

The mix of species is very much that of late summer/early autumn.

Anyone ID this moth that has been turning up indoors frequently these past evenings just at dusk - the camera flash makes it look a bit browner in colour than it actually is - I would describe it as more grey than brown - any ideas ?

Anyone ID this moth that has been turning up indoors frequently these past evenings just at dusk - the camera flash makes it look a bit browner in colour than it actually is - I would describe it as more grey than brown - any ideas ?

It's difficult to tell what it is from the image to be fair.I'm sure you're familiar with and have visited the 'Irish Moths and Butterflies' website already,but if not,here's a link:
    http://www.irishmoths.net/geometridae.html

I've had a quick look there,and can't seem to find anything similar,but you may have better luck.

Flounced Rustic maybe?

Switched on my moth trap early dusk last night and had a visit from a Spotted Flycatcher, think I'm down a lot of micro moths as a result!

A Square-spot Rustic on my garden shed window tonight:

0D95C84295294A65A7F6B07C1EF5C732-0000372749-0003627923-00800L-5A080E82B15C442A8586B5A9878E924F.jpg

• Advertisement

Disturbed this moth earlier today along a pathway - from checking the ID guides it looks something like a Shaded Broad-bar ?
    Can ye moth experts confirm or identify if not this species.
    Many thanks!

Advertisement