Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

UPDATE [12:37]: Tuoi Tre, a leading daily in Vietnam, reports that the Vietnamese Navy has confirmed the plane crashed into the ocean. According to Navy Admiral Ngo Van Phat, Commander of the Region 5, military radar recorded that the plane crashed into the sea at a location 153 miles South of Phu Quoc island.

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/mas-aircraft-goes-missing--says-airline-023820132.html

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Ahhhhh its grand

I was on this exact flight last August, at roughly the same time of day. Pretty surreal watching all this.

In saying that, I found the airline to be quite excellent. Comfortable and modern plane as well as really excellent staff.

Sincerely hope that there are survivors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Kavs8

Survivors in a crash at sea are extremely rare considering speed and Angle of Attack (AoA) into the water, confirmation now of a terrible tragedy.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭davepatr07

This incident reminds me of the Air France A332 crash in the S Atlantic. Forgive me if it has been mentioned before but I am curious and tend to over analyse. If an aircraft did suffer a catastrophic failure and spun out of control (dived) would there be a greater chance of you being unconscious before hitting the water? It's a horrible thought people would of gone through their last secs in such a way hurdling towards earth.

BTW 777 is a favourite aircraft of mine, hope it isn't anything structural.

Terrible for people involved and the families. RIP :(

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

I'm in perth here and I flew Malaysian airlines a few times and liked flying with them because every landing was super smooth. KL is used a lot by people flying home from Australia, but with a destination of Beijing not many Irish would of been on board. 7 Australians on board, hopefully none of these were Irish who have australian citizenship and passport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Pham Hien, director of the Vietnam's maritime search and rescue coordination centre zone 3, told Xinhua Saturday that the information that the signal of the plane has been detected at some 120 nautical miles southwest of Vietnam's southernmost Ca Mau province is incorrect.

http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Nation/2014/03/08/Missing-plane-vitenam-false/

Hard to know what to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Next comment like this will earn a permaban.

Not funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

pclancy wrote: »
    Next comment like this will earn a permaban.

Not funny.

The comment was disgraceful, lets not let boards stoop to the level allowed on pprune at the mo. If it was my gig he'd have been booted out the door.

RIP to those lost last night. Im just after finishing "understanding AF447" by bill palmer and it makes grimacing reading for the aviation minded...i hope this is not a similar tech issue and inability to deal with same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Are there terrorists out there who would want to see an airline from that carrier go down? Sounda like a bomb went off and caused a total structural failure as its just disappeared.
    I saw a program a while ago where a small bomb placed in an aircraft hull caused it to peel open like a banana due to the pressure difference and sealed nature of a commercial airliner.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,270 ✭✭✭✭fits

Must have been some catastrophic failure, whatever happened. You would immediately think of a missile or something, but then look what happened in that air France flight. ��. I flew through shanghai last Sunday so it feels that little bit closer than it usually would. RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

lomb wrote: »
    Are there terrorists out there who would want to see an airline from that carrier go down? Sounda like a bomb went off and caused a total structural failure as its just disappeared.
    I saw a program a while ago where a small bomb placed in an aircraft hull caused it to peel open like a banana due to the pressure difference and sealed nature of a commercial airliner.

I wouldn't rule it out. Could be anything at the moment though. You could spend all day guessing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭bombs away

I think it's very unwise at this early stage to speculate on what happened. All we know for sure is the plane went down. I'd leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

vicwatson are you unable to read? I just posted a warning which you obviously ignored.

Closely monitoring this thread, people need to stay exactly on topic or they will not be posting here again for some time.

Please have some respect and think before you post please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

Fearing the worst but hoping for the best. It doesn't look good though.

The company I now work for lost some people on AF447 and we also have large offices in both KL and China so I'm hoping we didn't have anyone on this flight.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Only hearing about this now..

Very tragic. RIP.

Any news on the wreckage being discovered?

Nothing as yet �� hope they find it before night falls.
    http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/my/en/site/dark-site.html

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DieselPowered

Any mention of weather or storms in the area at the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

No, weather was grand apparently. Sat Image took 9 hours ago of that area. No cloud over the area!

ir_ICAO-E_bw.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭theKillerBite

The Gulf of Thailand is very shallow (max depth only 80m) so it should be easier to find the black box. AF447 wreckage was at a depth of 4,000m!!

Twin oil slicks spotted evidently, but id be wary of that meaning anything. http://stream.wsj.com/story/malaysia-airlines-flight-370/SS-2-475558/?mod=e2fb

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

How is the tracking done by the likes of this website?

http://uk.flightaware.com/live/flight/MAS370/history/20140307/1635Z/WMKK/ZBAA

And in the context of such tracking, what does "vanish" mean?

I'm just wondering how, in technical terms, an aircraft can reach that altitude and then just disappear all of a sudden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

It seems strange that there appears to have been no communication from the crew prior to this at all. It would indicate this was something which happened very suddenly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

irishmover wrote: »
    Do you read into every comment like this so much? Or are you simply fishing for likes here?

Jesus.

Don't be a dick. We're talking about lives here - be they Chinese, Irish or any nationality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Buffman

I collected my parents this morning from DUB, they were on an A380, MH2 KUL-LHR on their way back from SYD which departed KUL a few minutes before MH370. It's sinking in with them now that they would have crossed paths with some of the MH370 passengers in the terminal and on the SYD-KUL flight.

RIP to all those deceased.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

Just read up on af 447 where there was no communication. Just a cascade of errors. Could be for all sorts of reasons.

Buffman wrote: »
    I collected my parents this morning from DUB, they were on an A380, MH2 KUL-LHR on their way back from SYD which departed KUL a few minutes before MH370. It's sinking in with them now that they would have crossed paths with some of the MH370 passengers in the terminal and on the SYD-KUL flight.

RIP to all those deceased.

That would make you think alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

At least it doesn't appear to be anything malevolent like terrorism. Some group would have claimed it by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

Lot of forums discussing structural failure. Airplane got walloped by a a340 on the wing a while back. Its all conjecture.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/fortune/2012-08/10/c_123564158.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

Lot of forums discussing structural failure. Airplane got walloped by a a340 on the wing a while back. Its all conjecture.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/fortune/2012-08/10/c_123564158.htm

That's what I initially thought. Sudden with no radio contact.
    Stress facture?

Advertisement