Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

irishmover wrote: »
    Not really. Typically a very experienced pilot would be flying on average 800 hours a year.

His average is 545 a year. So below average.

Is it possible that it could be 18500 on just the 777 alone ? Not that it's relevant in anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

BBC's John Sudworth says China officials feel something untoward has happened.

They may be thinking of terrorism linked to the recent railway killings, if the report by the BBC is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Cessna_Pilot

Getting off topic a bit there but 18500 hours is super experienced. 2500 hours for the co pilot makes him rather experienced in the rhs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Kavs8 wrote: »
    To be fair there is no need to bring experience levels into this as there is absolutely no information to say either of the pilots was at fault, last position known is 120nm south of Vietnam, FR24 data was correct - Aircraft was lost at 17:20 UTC.

I wasn't suggesting anything here was just simply stating that I'd consider both to be slightly under the 'very experienced' level.

Most likely had no bearing on anything.

I'm just really glad there was no Irish on board, as I said it is a typical route to take from Ireland to Australia

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Shamrock841

Not really. Typically a very experienced pilot would be flying on average 800 hours a year.

I don't want to drag this off topic but a 777 is a long haul aircraft, the captain had most likely peaked in his career, i.e worked his way up through the airline. 900 hours is the legal limit a pilot can fly commercially per year. 500-600 would be normal for long haul ops when you factor in rest time down route and back at base.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Cessna_Pilot

No irish on board, but 239 poor souls have been lost. Nothing really to be happy about here at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭cuterob

Don't be silly, do you think he still had a lot to learn at 18500 hours and flying for over 30 years? .. Maybe he was flying low hours with a regional or something for the first 10 years,

anyhow it all doesn't matter, I don't think this has much to do with the pilots if it went down while cruising obviously

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Australians were on board.

This is a common enough route for Irish coming from Ireland to Australia.

An unlikely routing for Irish people to be on board unless flying from Australia to Beijing via KUL. Either way you can just wait for the sickening media spin on this now about how a "Brit", "American" or an "Aussie" was on board as if the rest of the passengers were somehow disposable because they came from some other country. Malaysian gets a good share of Irish and my cousin flew them last month on their A380 and 737 to Thailand via KUL. More disturbingly is a friend of my mums traveled on this same frame last year from AMS to KUL.

There was 239 people on board and as far as I'm concerned this is what matters. RIP to those who are all now inevitably dead.

This is however the first big crash since Air France 447 in 2009 with a well known big-name Airline using modern respected and safe Jet aircraft.

Other big incidents in the interim

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afriqiyah_Airways_Flight_771
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_India_Express_Flight_812
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Air_Flight_6560
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dana_Air_Flight_992
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethiopian_Airlines_Flight_409

Last point of contact with flight MH370 was 120 Nautical miles of Kota Bharu over S. China Sea.

Malaysia Airlines confirming contact was lost over South China Sea over water.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Kavs8

No irish on board, but 239 poor souls have been lost. Nothing really to be happy about here at all.

Indeed, if this is terrorism I really feel there will be another game-changer in security in relation to aviation, we haven't had anything on this scale if confirmed since 9/11?

Lot's of possibilities, but in layman's terms 239 people have died tragically, its devastating, and equally so for the 777, the first catastrophic accident for that aircraft.

Thrill wrote: »
    Last point of contact with flight MH370 was 120 Nautical miles of Kota Bharu over S. China Sea.

Kota Bharu is in Malaysia, in the Gulf of Thailand.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

Looks like a signal has been detected!

https://twitter.com/chinaorgcn

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

I'm just really glad there was no Irish on board, as I said it is a typical route to take from Ireland to Australia

I really don't get this line of thinking. You've mentioned a few times now about no Irish on board.
    Does it make you feel better about the potential crash? Are we to celebrate the fact it was mainly Asians on board so we're less likely to feel a 'connection'.
    Obviously nothing is confirmed but this looks to be a tragedy and the fact that no Irish were on board does not change my feelings behind it.
    I hope people won't be as callous towards your family should something happen.

On topic:
    How likely is it that the captain would have no time to transmit a message to ATC? Is there any recent history crashes where it wasn't known to ATC at the time of incident?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Why would Malaysia to Northern China be typical route from Ireland to Australia?

How does there not being any Irish on board make this incident better? There was 239 humans on board. Unless someone has a very closeted and incestuous background, all Irish people are going to have friends and relatives who aren't Irish.

I really don't get this line of thinking. You've mentioned a few times now about no Irish on board.
    Does it make you feel better about the potential crash? Are we to celebrate the fact it was mainly Asians on board so we're less likely to feel a 'connection'.
    Obviously nothing is confirmed but this looks to be a tragedy and the fact that no Irish were on board does not change my feelings behind it.

On topic:
    How likely is it that the captain would have no time to transmit a message to ATC? Is there any recent history crashes where it wasn't known to ATC at the time of incident?

Do you read into every comment like this so much? Or are you simply fishing for likes here?

Jesus.

Vietnam Emergency Rescue Centre found "signal" of Malaysia Airlines plane, 9.50am 120 nautical miles SW of southernmost Ca Mau province

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

Listening to yer woman on sky news, she's asking a pilot info about plane/route/weather etc and she laughinged at least 2 times, and asking him to speculate all sorts of crap, anyone got any suggestions where I can get proper accurate info?
    terrible news that it is.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Do you read into every comment like this so much? Or are you simply fishing for likes here?

Jesus.

Probably just isn't a fan of valuing the lives of certain nationalities more than others. I'd agree really.

Listening to yer woman on sky news, she's asking a pilot info about plane/route/weather etc and she laughinged at least 2 times, and asking him to speculate all sorts of crap, anyone got any suggestions where I can get proper accurate info?
    terrible news that it is.

To be fair, switching over to FOX News would make you wan't to enter the studio with a hedge-cutters. Apologies.

• Advertisement

Thrill wrote: »
    Vietnam Emergency Rescue Centre found "signal" of Malaysia Airlines plane, 9.50am 120 nautical miles SW of southernmost Ca Mau province

Xinhua reporting signal detected off Vietnam's Ca Mau, but this just appears to be the last known location measured from different location.

Malaysian ATC have confirmed the aircraft is downed in its airspace :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Kavs8 wrote: »
    Indeed, if this is terrorism I really feel there will be another game-changer in security in relation to aviation, we haven't had anything on this scale if confirmed since 9/11?

Lot's of possibilities, but in layman's terms 239 people have died tragically, its devastating, and equally so for the 777, the first catastrophic accident for that aircraft.

To be honest one half of me sort of hopes this was terror related because if it was then it would give me reassurance from from a safety point of view relating to the aircraft, and more importantly it is something which can be rooted out and stopped.

I have flown through Kuala Lumpur and the KL-LCC Terminal and several other asian airports over the last few years and Security standards there I feel are somewhat relaxed compared to the likes of the USA. Similarly Dubai airport for example is totally chaotic and everything is totally rushed and laptops are not removed from bags nor are you made to remove shoes etc. I seen people getting bypassed security there to get them onto flights because the long queues were delaying flights due to dozens of transit passengers missing in the long security queues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Ok lets keep it clean and focus on the story at hand please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

https://twitter.com/Derry_London

Following this guy on the tweet machine, is updating regularly. Terrible tragedy.

Last recorded track of MH370 shows just how accurate FR24 was, looks like the aircraft went down 150 km north east of Kuala Terengganu. Thinking of AF447, survivors would be very low and one can only hope there are some :(

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

On topic:

Afraid so.. There being Irish people on-board would make me and others more sympathetic.. And even in that I don't actually care.. Same way as I don't care about all the other atrocities that have little or no connection to me.. Sad but true.. Perhaps I'm desensitized to it all I dunno..

Anyway back on point... Very sad, may god rest there souls and help their grieving families.

Vietnam are now saying that the Malaysia Airlines jet entered its airspace near Ca Mau province for about 1 minute before contact was lost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 KevinEldon

jay-me wrote: »
    Afraid so.. There being Irish people on-board would make me and others more sympathetic.. And even in that I don't actually care.. Same way as I don't care about all the other atrocities that have little or no connection to me.. Sad but true.. Perhaps I'm desensitized to it all I dunno..

Anyway back on point... Very sad, may god rest there souls and help their grieving families.

?

Advertisement