Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Malaysia Airlines VP says missing plane had enough fuel for 7hrs; would've run out of fuel over 1hr ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Kavs8

Confirmed now by Nan Ming Airport, no aircraft belonging to Malaysian Airlines has landed at the airport.

As has been pointed out above the flight would have been airborne for approx 10hrs now, with 7hrs fuel, it seems there is only one outcome, doesn't bare thinking about. :(

Press conference any minute now by Malaysian Airlines - Keep an eye on Sky News

Update - MAL have said they will being conference just after 3 UTC

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

Another 15 mins until the Press Conference!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Contact was lost over Vietnam airspace. Not Chinese. My bad.

• Advertisement

Malaysia Airlines VP tells CNN no distress call or problems reported from MH370 before disappearance, plane was at 35K ft.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭AlanMcC23

This isnt looking good at all

No Emergency Locator Transmitter (ELT) detected, and Vietnamese ATC say the aircraft was lost in there airspace, in a good radar coverage area - Altitude dropped from 35,000ft to 0ft and then disappeared from radar, location would have been just after contacting Vietnam in the Gulf of Thailand.

Don't want to confirm this, but one of my friends in the ''know'' who gave me correct information about AF447 in 2009 just text me saying the track of the aircraft changed from 024 degrees to 333 degrees and the change in attitude from 35,000ft to 0ft in the space of a minute coupled with the change in track signifies a rapid uncontrolled descent - I really don't want to get into speculating what caused this but I thought I'd share the information, have to say it's devastating news - I really don't want to believe it frankly. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 35,662 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Kavs8 wrote: »
    Don't want to confirm this, but one of my friends in the ''know'' who gave me correct information about AF447 in 2009 just text me saying the track of the aircraft changed from 024 degrees to 333 degrees and the change in attitude from 35,000ft to 0ft in the space of a minute coupled with the change in track signifies a rapid uncontrolled descent - I really don't want to get into speculating what caused this but I thought I'd share the information, have to say it's devastating news - I really don't want to believe it frankly. :(

It that possible

• Advertisement

Australians were on board.

This is a common enough route for Irish coming from Ireland to Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Cessna_Pilot

Change of track of around 50 degrees and rapid descent would suggest to me a depressurization or emergency situation leading to an emergency descent.

35000 to 0 in a minute would not be possible.

irishmover wrote: »
    Australians were on board.

160 Chinese nationals also.

Change of track of around 50 degrees and rapid descent would suggest to me a depressurization or emergency situation leading to an emergency descent.

35000 to 0 in a minute would not be possible.

Just to add the crash of SilkAir Flight 185, was also at 35,000ft it crashed less then one minute after the pilot downed the aircraft, I'm not going to say if it is possible or not, but consider the aircraft is a 777-200 laden with fuel and only an hour into it's flight, it's going to descend very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Cessna_Pilot

Just to add the crash of SilkAir Flight 185, was also at 35,000ft it crashed less then one minute after the pilot downed the aircraft, I'm not going to say if it is possible or not, but consider the aircraft is a 777-200 laden with fuel and only an hour into it's flight, it's going to descend very quickly.

thats a very good point re the weight.

2 incidents in entire 777 history.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭cuterob

I know it's quite far fetched and nearly 100% unlikey but hope it's not something like this below:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303824204579420623335971350

cuterob wrote: »
    I know it's quite far fetched but hope it's not something like this below:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303824204579420623335971350

The aircraft hadn't even reached Vietnam, I think it's safe to say that can be ruled out.

No Irish on board. Thank god!

Ukraine (2)
    China (152+1 infant)
    New Zealand (2)
    Malaysia (38)
    Indonesia (12)
    Australia (7)
    France (3)
    USA (3+1 infant)
    Canada (2)
    Russia (1)
    Netherlands (1)
    Austria (1)
    Italy (1)
    Taiwan (1)

The aircraft hadn't even reached Vietnam, I think it's safe to say that can be ruled out.

oh thats ok so, its just i saw a cnn video on youtube where they were showing the plane over china

• Advertisement

Theres no official report of any deviation or steep decent prior to disappearance so far. The last contact with the plane showed it to be at 35,000 feet. Whatever happened was so fast and catastrophic the crew had no time to report anything.

Its quite possible a mid air explosion took place.

Captain had 18500 flight time. Not extremely experienced. Flying since '81.
    First officer had 2500 hours flight time. Not experienced.

Thats a very experienced captain

Thrill wrote: »
    Its quite possible a mid air explosion took place.

Was thinking that myself, there are so many factors though, maintenance etc but everything at the moment is speculation - Re changes in deviation and altitude - Xinhua is going with that from a senior official.

Confirmed by Vietnam now that the flight did not contact Ho Chi Minh Control Center, no confirmation it was handed over to Vietnam ATC as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Shamrock841

18500 hours? Well if the captain logged the legal limit of 900 hours per year that would give over 20 years experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

I would certainly disagree that neither was experienced. How many flight hours would you say is experienced in your view?

cuterob wrote: »
    Thats a very experienced captain

Not really. Typically a very experienced pilot would be flying on average 800 hours a year.

His average is 545 a year. So below average.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

Another Press Conference set for 0500 GMT!

• Advertisement

To be fair there is no need to bring experience levels into this as there is absolutely no information to say either of the pilots was at fault, last position known is 120nm south of Vietnam, FR24 data was correct - Aircraft was lost at 17:20 UTC.

Advertisement