Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2015*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DaveMc90

planning on repeating the hpat from college , is it worth signing up for the med***** 2 day workshop if i did it last year?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

DaveMc90 wrote: »
    planning on repeating the hpat from college , is it worth signing up for the med***** 2 day workshop if i did it last year?

Sounds like it wasn't worth it last year.
    Up to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Gallagher1

spurious wrote: »
    Sounds like it wasn't worth it last year.
    Up to you.

Nonsense. I did it twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭alaskayoung

DaveMc90 wrote: »

I'd save your money if I were you. You'll need it in college.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Gallagher1 wrote: »
    Nonsense. I did it twice.

So it wasn't worth it first time for you either?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

DaveMc90 wrote:

I'd say just do the practice material

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lilac262

Has anyone received a third round offer ?

spurious wrote: »
    So it wasn't worth it first time for you either?

Had access to 1000s of questions 'first time' but I naively thought I was brilliant and did sweet f*ck all of them. Did sh1t.

Had access again for a second time. Did 99% of them. Did quite well and honestly felt the practise contributed hugely to my success in the exam.

Notice the difference?? Just because one fails to utilise something properly doesn't make that something a waste of time and money. As has been evidently shown on this thread, ME is not necessary for anyone to succeed, however, for some people it helps. Just because someone recommends(from their own positive personal experience!) something doesn't mean that they are shoving it down the necks of every Medicine hopeful that crosses boards.

Certain posters are that militant in their opposition to these prep materials that it screams of a massive chip on the shoulder. People will spend money on ME for the HPAT just like others spend money on grinds for the LC if they want/can. One may see it as a waste because they obtained X percentile but not everyone can nail it on the first go that easily. It's not going to guarantee a spot in medicine but if people feel themselves as if said courses will help them in any way, why stop them? It helped some people get over the line?

LC Grinds don't guarantee anything either but I don't see everyone here bashing secondary school teachers for providing them and others for swearing by them??

On the other hand, I did ME the first time around and did a reasonable amount of practise and got 78th percentile. This year I did absolutely zero prep, no courses, no ACER practise tests and got 91st percentile.

Gallagher1, I think you would have gotten that score regardless of if you did the prep course or not. I think you should have more faith in your ability :)

Anyway, I give up. Go and spend your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Katdrama

Apologies if this is the wrong thread for this qn, but would anyone who is in medicine recommend Gray's anatomy for Students? And Netter's atlas? Or would they recommend something else instead? :confused:

• Advertisement

Katdrama wrote: »
    Apologies if this is the wrong thread for this qn, but would anyone who is in medicine recommend Gray's anatomy for Students? And Netter's atlas? Or would they recommend something else instead? :confused:

From what I hear it's recommended to have both an anatomy book and an anatomy atlas and Gray's+Netter's appear to be the best of each.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Katdrama

Gallagher1 wrote: »
    From what I hear it's recommended to have both an anatomy book and an anatomy atlas and Gray's+Netter's appear to be the best of each.

Okay, thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

Was reading the prospectus for RCSI 2016 and it says LC and HPAT must be presented in the same year ie. you can't repeat your HPAT on its own anymore... Is that the same with all colleges this year? Are they finally bringing in that rule?!! :mad::(

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Robbiert

Beca19 wrote: »
    Was reading the prospectus for RCSI 2016 and it says LC and HPAT must be presented in the same year ie. you can't repeat your HPAT on its own anymore... Is that the same with all colleges this year? Are they finally bringing in that rule?!! :mad::(
    I was talking to a lecturer from trinity that said the same thing at higher options on thursday, could be just hearsay though. Emailing ACER is probably the only way to know for certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 iamtheonewho

Beca19 wrote: »

No, the requirements are still the same. The HPAT must be presented in the same year of admission (can't use last years), but the leaving cert result can be used from the previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 LeapOfFaith

Hey everyone,

Just heard from a mate of mine that it is possible to transfer from 3rd year dentistry into medicine? Is that for real?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Katdrama wrote: »

The library has plenty of both. Never used Gray's, took Netters out a good few times for better resolution than a .jpg. Don't buy books in first year, you need the money for drink.
    Hey everyone,

Just heard from a mate of mine that it is possible to transfer from 3rd year dentistry into medicine? Is that for real?

In UCC there's a transfer option - but only if you plan on doing MaxFax surgery. Eww tbh, but each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

The library has plenty of both. Never used Gray's, took Netters out a good few times for better resolution than a .jpg. Don't buy books in first year, you need the money for drink.

In UCC there's a transfer option - but only if you plan on doing MaxFax surgery. Eww tbh, but each to their own.

Is there a transfer option?

I thought it was that you finished dent , mfds exam and then apply for dental graduate entry to medicine. This would allow you to skip all the intro physiology etc and you just have to do the anatomy you missed out on in first year in a separate module. This wouldn't limit you to becoming a max fax surgeon, would it?

To start a a max fax scheme in Ireland you need a BDS and an MB.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 LeapOfFaith

So how does it work in UCC? Is it a case of 5 years dentistry then 4 years grad med??

Can you not perform oral surgery as a dentistry graduate? How many additional years is it if you want to become a maxfax surgeon?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Can you not perform oral surgery as a dentistry graduate? How many additional years is it if you want to become a maxfax surgeon?

You need to get an MB after the BDS, complete your intern year , get on a surgical scheme. The scheme will take you a good few years.
    You need to spend 2 years in practice I think as a dentist and then sit the MFDS exam or equivalent.

Oral surgeons and max fax surgeons are not the same thing. Oral surgery is a dental speciality.

What you choose to do in practice comes down to what you are competent performing and making sure you are in line with standards set out by the relevant councils.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Hey everyone,

In Trinity it is termed advanced entry, meaning that if you have finished dentistry and done a postgraduate exam, you can enter medicine directly at the third year (of five) of the undergraduate course. Obviously many people who take this route will have an interest in maxillofacial surgery or related specialities, but you will end up with the same medical degree as everyone else and can enter whatever speciality you want.

Special shout to Daisies97..#FourFour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

I am planning to have a go at the hpat. Im going to put it down anyways in my cao form. If I do not like it, I can always change it, later on but I cannot add it. So as a result, im thinking of adding around 3 for med in my top 3.
    At the moment I have not made up my career, I just want to focus on my lc and take it one step at a time. I do not want to get pressured into anything.

Back to the hpat. As of now I have done no study or even looked at the type of qs asked.
    My original plan was to do a course 1 week before the hpat and then sit it. Like I said my first priority is LC. Would the course and lets say 2 weeks study be worth it to even bother sittin it and spending the money or should I just do it after I have decided my career and be fully committed to it(for example I could have decided to do med, in the summer, without doing hpat, but I get dentistry. I then go into dentistry and study for the hpat with also my course studies)
    I would really appreciate peoples opinions and feedbacks and weather I have a chance of getting a high percentile of just doing 2 weeks study and a course. I have no idea what course to even do.... Theres prep courses offered in schools and then theres those online companies. Would they be the same yes?

I am planning to have a go at the hpat. Im going to put it down anyways in my cao form. If I do not like it, I can always change it, later on but I cannot add it. So as a result, im thinking of adding around 3 for med in my top 3.
    At the moment I have not made up my career, I just want to focus on my lc and take it one step at a time. I do not want to get pressured into anything.

Back to the hpat. As of now I have done no study or even looked at the type of qs asked.
    My original plan was to do a course 1 week before the hpat and then sit it. Like I said my first priority is LC. Would the course and lets say 2 weeks study be worth it to even bother sittin it and spending the money or should I just do it after I have decided my career and be fully committed to it(for example I could have decided to do med, in the summer, without doing hpat, but I get dentistry. I then go into dentistry and study for the hpat with also my course studies)
    I would really appreciate peoples opinions and feedbacks and weather I have a chance of getting a high percentile of just doing 2 weeks study and a course. I have no idea what course to even do.... Theres prep courses offered in schools and then theres those online companies. Would they be the same yes?

Of course you have a chance. You'll be sitting the test as it was designed to be sat. Hpat courses are completely overrated and completely unnecessary to get a high hpat score. My only advice to you would be to make sure you have a pretty good idea of the timing to get it all finished, maybe practice a bit of the section 3's to learn what kind of things to look for but after that I wouldn't stress about it. I think you're doing the right thing focusing on the leaving cert. That, unlike the hpat, is where hard work yields results.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Daisies97

Has anyone gotten appeal results? When you look it up on examinations.ie it says they're available online but I don't have my pin to check 😓

• Registered Users Posts: 4 uzir

Daisies97 wrote: »
    Has anyone gotten appeal results? When you look it up on examinations.ie it says they're available online but I don't have my pin to check 😓

They are available on Wednesday from midday. Your school has your PIN, every candidate has theirs. I don't know mine yet but I emailed my school to send me it.
    What subjects did you appeal? Do you expect to be upgraded by how much?
    I appealed maths and chemistry...I expect to gain 15 points from both.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Daisies97

uzir wrote: »
    They are available on Wednesday from midday. Your school has your PIN, every candidate has theirs. I don't know mine yet but I emailed my school to send me it.
    What subjects did you appeal? Do you expect to be upgraded by how much?
    I appealed maths and chemistry...I expect to gain 15 points from both.

Yeah thanks ive it figured out now! Just appealed maths and I only want it to go up one grade to have medicine! Trying not to get my hopes up though. Good luck tomorrow anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 MedHead1995

Hey - If anyone is using M.E or has used it when they were studying for HPAT, could you let me know how you got on in the practice tests (p.m me if you don't want it public). I'd just like to know what each of you get in section 1 and 2 (out of 44 and 36 respectively) WHEN YOU STICK TO THE ALLOTTED TIME... I'm getting roughly 28/29 out of 44 in S1 and about 25 out of 36 in S2
    How does this compare to you guys? It would be even more helpful if someone who has actually taken the real HPAT exam would message me; it would give me a real insight and show me where I need to improve or where I'm doing well. Appreciate any feedback! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭WorthlessPeon

Hey - If anyone is using M.E or has used it when they were studying for HPAT, could you let me know how you got on in the practice tests (p.m me if you don't want it public). I'd just like to know what each of you get in section 1 and 2 (out of 44 and 36 respectively) WHEN YOU STICK TO THE ALLOTTED TIME... I'm getting roughly 28/29 out of 44 in S1 and about 25 out of 36 in S2
    How does this compare to you guys? It would be even more helpful if someone who has actually taken the real HPAT exam would message me; it would give me a real insight and show me where I need to improve or where I'm doing well. Appreciate any feedback! :D
    I'm taking the HPAT this year as well and have been getting similar scores. It's definitely disheartening but in the Acer practice tests I've been getting much higher scores. I don't really know what to be thinking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 MedHead1995

I'm taking the HPAT this year as well and have been getting similar scores. It's definitely disheartening but in the Acer practice tests I've been getting much higher scores. I don't really know what to be thinking?

I assume you're sticking to the time? They're the scores I generally get! However I am getting 20-23/30 in S3 most of the time which is a morale boost as it's generally in the 90th+ percentile; but there is a certain melancholy mood present after I see the 50th percentile or something due to 27/44 in S1 and 24/36 in S2 or something along those lines :D:D I still have a lot of exams to do and it's early days yet, but honestly I think those scores in S1 & S2 are okay, especially since we are being compared to a more prepared and able "cohort" of students. On the day of the HPAT, lots of people won't be fully prepared and won't be as strong at these tests than the crowd taking these M.E tests (as a general conjecture!).
    Onwards and upwards anyway...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement