Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2015*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Have my posts been deleted?

Any mods no anything about this?

Yes. I deleted them. Do you think they were helpful?
    'Crazy person' particularly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 582 ✭✭✭sleepyheadh

spurious wrote:
    Yes. I deleted them. Do you think they were helpful? 'Crazy person' particularly.

Any particular reason you did it on the sly?

There was nothing wrong with any of my comments, and yes I think they were helpful. .they certainly weren't offencive?

Was the worst thing i said that the poster looked "crazy" just for future reference!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I did not do anything 'on the sly', but by all means go to DRP if you want to. Please do not discuss it anymore on this thread.

spurious wrote:
    I did not do anything 'on the sly', but by all means go to DRP if you want to. Please do not discuss it anymore on this thread.

Will do boss. .on the sly as in no warning, no message just deleted without even mentioning it to me. .I'll see you there x

spurious wrote: »

Actually been removed from DRP also.. I think I can sense a pattern forming, must have been all that practice for Section 3, haha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 BBHenry

Anybody know when mature students are due to get their results?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

BBHenry wrote: »
    Anybody know when mature students are due to get their results?

It was on the 16th of April last year; so hopefully in about 2-3 weeks we should have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 jacobwrench97

I'm extremely appalled by ACER's solution to this problem. Although I was not a candidate at this test centre, I feel like I'm at a bigger disadvantage due to one stupid, avoidable mistake. Every point counts in this exam, and for those saying that people are just moaning are obviously not aware of what one point is capable of doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Gallagher1

Where does everyone have down as their first choice and why? Just curious to know what people think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

Can anyone who completed the HPAT in Goldsmith please confirm the starting time of Section C? Need this to proceed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭etherealfairy

Gallagher1 wrote: »
    Where does everyone have down as their first choice and why? Just curious to know what people think :)

Yeah let's chat about this! I have NUIG :) I may change it though as I want to ensure the course has a large focus on the sociological and psychological aspects of medicine, too! I see this on the UCC and TCD websites but not on the NUIG one so I will enquire into it at the open day in April. For example, UCC have 'Stream 3: Person, Culture and Society'. I assume the course is similar enough anyways they may have just not stated it as clearly on their site.

Yeah let's chat about this! I have NUIG :) I may change it though as I want to ensure the course has a large focus on the sociological and psychological aspects of medicine, too! I see this on the UCC and TCD websites but not on the NUIG one so I will enquire into it at the open day in April. For example, UCC have 'Stream 3: Person, Culture and Society'. I assume the course is similar enough anyways they may have just not stated it as clearly on their site.

I've NUIG too! I just think Galway is such a nice city, makes a massive change from the capital imo.. I'm pretty sure all Medicine courses offer something along the lines of what you mentioned about UCC! If you look at the 'Special Study Modules' in the NUIG prospectus you might find something, or just ask at the open day like you said!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭etherealfairy

Gallagher1 wrote: »
    I've NUIG too! I just think Galway is such a nice city, makes a massive change from the capital imo.. I'm pretty sure all Medicine courses offer something along the lines of what you mentioned about UCC! If you look at the 'Special Study Modules' in the NUIG prospectus you might find something, or just ask at the open day like you said!

Yeah exactly!! I feel it's a really nice city to do such an intensive course in. All the med students I know in Galway seem to have SUCH craic! Like, they have a really nice balance :) Galway is so friendly and cultured, too. Plus University Hospital Galway is pretty much next door.

I was reading some articles from their site and basically 'Professionalism' is just the umbrella term for all the ethical/cultural/etc stuff, so that's perfect!

If a course was available, Galway would be my choice to study anything. Great town.

I would be looking at more at availability of accommodation if i was doing it all again. If you live in any of the 3 cities, moving is madness.

Anyway, if your the kind of person looking for craic, you most likely won't be attending the pysch lectures 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 23 AngloIrishMan

Can anyone who completed the HPAT in Goldsmith please confirm the starting time of Section C? Need this to proceed.

The woman had written on the board that Section 3 would be finished at 1.08PM.
    She then decided to end it at 1.03PM, claiming that it should be finished at this time.
    I clearly remember that Section 1 was finished at 11.41AM.
    If you add the time taken for both Section 2&3 and the 2x1mins allowed for looking over each section, you get 1hr27mins.
    Add this to 11.41AM and you get 1.08PM.
    So it was supposed to finish at 1.08PM.

Section 3 began at 12.28PM.

Press release sent.

Press release sent.

Who did you send it to, IMT, Irish times?

Who did you send it to, IMT, Irish times?

Yep. Everyone I could think of. CC'ed to heads of schools of medicine as well.

Yep. Everyone I could think of. CC'ed to heads of schools of medicine as well.

Really, fair play..is there anywhere I could read it?

• Advertisement

Press release:
    Students forced to hand up exams too early - New HPAT Students Union calls for investigation into running of high-stakes medical entrance exam

Thursday April 2nd 2015

Students forced to hand up exams too early

Today, the HPAT Students Union, a new group set up to advocate for young people in Ireland taking the “HPAT” exam, has called for an immediate investigation by the government into how the high-stakes exam was run earlier this year, after students in one exam centre, TCD's Goldsmith Hall, complained that they were forced to hand up their papers five minutes too early, disadvantaging them in the highly competitive exam for admission to medicine in Ireland.

After the completion of the HPAT on 28th February 2015, students in Goldsmith Hall complained that they had been forced to hand up their exams at 1.03 PM, despite 1.08 PM being the finish time written on the schedule. In accordance with the procedure outlined in the HPAT Handbook, students raised this issue immediately with the supervisor, who said she had made a mistake and that 1.03 PM was the correct time to finish the exam. The HPAT Students Union has corroborated multiple student accounts and confirmed that Goldsmith Hall candidates indeed handed up their papers at 1.03 PM, 5 minutes too early.

An exam mired in controversy

The HPAT (Health Professionals Aptitude Test) exam was controversially introduced in 2009, ostensibly to reduce the number of Leaving Cert Points required for admission to medicine in Ireland. The marking scheme for the exam is not released, and students are simply told they have received a certain score. Applicants cannot review their scripts. There is no independent body to appeal results to.

What does 5 minutes matter?

Section 3, the final part of the HPAT exam is the most time-dependent section. It consists mainly of solving problems involving patterns and shapes. According to the official HPAT guide, candidates should complete 3.75 questions every 5 minutes in this section. Students in Goldsmith Hall have now been disadvantaged, as all other candidates in the country received 5 minutes more to complete this section.

ACER claims students are wrong

The Australian company contracted to run the HPAT, ACER (Australian Council for Educational Research) has:

failed to issue any public statement about this incident
    failed to respond to repeated emails from the HPAT Students Union
    in emails to individual candidates, claimed candidates were given the appropriate time
    incorrectly claimed the exam finished at 1.06 PM in Goldsmith
    claimed it was only the “ten minute warning” given incorrectly
    conveniently removed the last 3 questions from Section 3 of the exam – claiming they were never going to be “scored” anyways, in a blatant attempt to quiet discontent

This is unacceptable.

Investigation Demanded

The HPAT Students Union is calling for an immediate investigation into ACER and the running of the HPAT examination in 2015. HPAT results must be put on hold until this investigation is complete.

We refuse to allow Goldsmith Hall candidates or any other candidates be disadvantaged by this incident, and intend to use every avenue available to us.

Notes to editors

For press queries please contact: hpatsu@gmail.com

When do mature students get their results?

Just an idea I had there..I seem to remember signing my life away while signing up for the HPAT. Has anyone looked into what the T&C's they attached to taking the HPAT...My bet is that they have covered their ass.

When do mature students get their results?

Was April 16th last year, assume it'll be (give or take a day) the same this year.

Just an idea I had there..I seem to remember signing my life away while signing up for the HPAT. Has anyone looked into what the T&C's they attached to taking the HPAT...My bet is that they have covered their ass.

This is what it says in the T&C's in the offical HPAT booklet.

"a. To the maximum extent permissible by law
    (and for the avoidance of doubt, subject to
    any guarantees, rights, remedies or obligations
    which cannot be excluded, restricted or
    modified under certain laws including the
    Australian Consumer Law), ACER expressly,
    irrevocably and totally disclaims any liability
    whatsoever for any loss or damage whatsoever
    and howsoever arising in connection with
    or resulting from: Your participation (actual,
    potential, contemplated or cancelled for any
    reason whatsoever) in HPAT – Ireland; and
    Your test results, including, but not limited
    to, any representations made by ACER or its
    personnel (including agents, subcontractors and consultants) in respect of HPAT – Ireland and
    the accuracy of any information contained in this
    Booklet;

b. To the fullest extent permitted at law, You
    acknowledge and accept that the entire risk of
    Your participation in HPAT – Ireland is assumed
    by You and that ACER will have no liability
    whatsoever to You for any loss, harm, damage,
    cost or expense (including legal fees) or any
    direct, special, indirect, incidental, punitive or
    consequential loss or damage (including, without
    limitation, economic loss, loss of contract,
    profit, revenue, income, opportunity, goodwill,
    information, anticipated savings, business
    relationships, production or data) whatsoever
    and howsoever arising;"

Thanks. .i think may be a nail in the coffin!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Yeah there is focus on that, it's part of Medical Professionalism which is a module incorporated each year. I can't comment much on the focus in the clinical years but pre-clinical you'll do things like medical ethics, law, health promotion etc which is pretty interesting. Prepare for people not taking it entirely seriously however, it was a looot less intensive than anatomy, physiology and biochem so it wasn't taken all that seriously as a result, anything is what you make of it though. :) You do Special Study Modules in Years 1, 2 and 4 also as part of MP and a few of the options would probably appeal to you.

Galway is a great city to go to college in too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 nifhiaich97

Hi! New to this but I'm also hoping to do med, however I'm from the North and I'm a bit unclear on the CAO system (as it's such a contrast from ucas haha). Trinity's my first choice and then UCD, NUIG and UCC, but say for instance I don't get the points for TCD but still get the points for UCD - am I guaranteed a place at UCD? Or will the fact that it was originally my second choice put me at a disadvantage to those who had UCD as their first choice?
    Hope that makes sense lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Izunna181

Hi! New to this but I'm also hoping to do med, however I'm from the North and I'm a bit unclear on the CAO system (as it's such a contrast from ucas haha). Trinity's my first choice and then UCD, NUIG and UCC, but say for instance I don't get the points for TCD but still get the points for UCD - am I guaranteed a place at UCD? Or will the fact that it was originally my second choice put me at a disadvantage to those who had UCD as their first choice?
    Hope that makes sense lol

You're at no disadvantage whatsoever.Even if UCD was your 9th choice-as long as you get the points your in :)

• Advertisement

Great news:

Dear Students

The Minister for Education and Skills Ms. Jan O'Sullivan T.D has asked me to acknowledge your recent email in relation to the HPAT exam.

Enquiries are being made about this matter and a further letter will issue as soon as possible.

Yours sincerely

[Redacted]

Private Secretary

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement