Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2015*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 582 ✭✭✭sleepyheadh

And your point....

I've mentioned it before way back on this thread.

I think its actually quite a big point..

You didn't sit the exam, you aren't going for medicine. Yet, you are taking so much time to email, set up a student union, trying to get a media campaign going?!

You have been spearheading this, if I'm honest I assumed that you had been in the Goldsmith.

You are posting on a thread for people who are thinking of doing the HPAT and Medicine so I kinda assumed. .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

So what connection do you have to it? How can you set up a so called student union when you have no experience of the grievance the thing was set up for in the first place?

You seemed a bit too eager to create controversy with this - I thought, hey, I'd be pretty pissed off too. But to make such a deal when it didn't affect you is a bit bizarre! In the vein of the thread, it's like you have a weird form of Munchausen by proxy

Now my previous advice is even more true: forget about this which doesn't affect you. Get a good leaving cert and go into politics or something and effect some real change

I think its actually quite a big point..

You didn't sit the exam, you aren't going for medicine. Yet, you are taking so much time to email, set up a student union, trying to get a media campaign going?!

You have been spearheading this, if I'm honest I assumed that you had been in the Goldsmith.

You are posting on a thread for people who are thinking of doing the HPAT and Medicine so I kinda assumed. .

Surprise surprise, the two people on the thread who have at every turn sought to pressure their fellow candidates to just take it on the chin, are now *very concerned* that an outsider is advocating on their behalf.

From day one, I said I wasn't a med applicant. Most unions are run by outside people, who can work full time on the cause. My sincere apologies for having the initiative and gall to stand up for people getting screwed over.

Surprise surprise, the two people on the thread who have at every turn sought to pressure their fellow candidates to just take it on the chin, are now *very concerned* that an outsider is advocating on their behalf.

From day one, I said I wasn't a med applicant. Most unions are run by outside people, who can work full time on the cause. My sincere apologies for having the initiative and gall to stand up for people getting screwed over.

Haha, claim down. I don't particularly give a monkeys. And Im certainly not concerned. I am already in medicine, HPAT results aren't every going to matter to me again. I just think its kinda strange. For example, I have no idea how the GAMSAT went, I don't really care, cause it has nothing to with me. I don't know how the UKCAT, or the MCAT went either, again why would I?

If you look back I was offering my opinion throughout. And as it happens, it kinda looks like I'm right, no one is responding, but thats beside the point.

I don't care if this is how you want to spend your time. Just pointing out that I find it unusual is all. :D

(And just to reiterate, I am not a "candidate", I didn't do the HPAT this year, it has nothing to do with me)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 BBHenry

Cannot wait to see the result curve for 2015 or see how the matures got on.. Ten points off last year and reeeeally praying for it this year. Just finishing off my first year of another course tomorrow, really hoping I don't have to go back to it come September!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Gallagher1

BBHenry wrote: »
    Cannot wait to see the result curve for 2015 or see how the matures got on.. Ten points off last year and reeeeally praying for it this year. Just finishing off my first year of another course tomorrow, really hoping I don't have to go back to it come September!

Same position as you..HPAT results for the matures are out apparently so it's a waiting game for someone to come on here to tell us what they got..

• Advertisement

Gallagher1 wrote: »
    Same position as you..HPAT results for the matures are out apparently so it's a waiting game for someone to come on here to tell us what they got..

Ughh thought the result curve would've been up too... Damn

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Nocofee

@dalta5billion I personally think the work you've been doing has been amazing and I'm sure many others around the country agree with me..have you tried forwarding the email onto the deans of medicine as well as heads of medicine..maybe more authority on a matter like this? eg. Professor Timothy O Brien
    Dean of College of Medicine, Nursing & Health Sciences

Email: timothy.obrien@nuigalway.ie

Nocofee wrote: »
    @dalta5billion I personally think the work you've been doing has been amazing and I'm sure many others around the country agree with me..have you tried forwarding the email onto the deans of medicine as well as heads of medicine..maybe more authority on a matter like this? eg. Professor Timothy O Brien

Good idea, I missed that. Just forwarded there.

Yep, HPAT results are out for mature applicants. Here's hoping none of them were in Goldsmith Hall.

If you were, email hpatsu@gmail.com so we can begin helping you bring a case to the Ombudsman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

They're not out for mature students; I wouldn't expect them until much closer to May given the delay compared to previous years.

• Advertisement

ronivek wrote: »
    They're not out for mature students; I wouldn't expect them until much closer to May given the delay compared to previous years.

The official twitter for HPAT announced that results for mature students were released eight hours ago.

Is there anyone who was actually affected by the mistake on here?

BBHenry wrote: »
    The official twitter for HPAT announced that results for mature students were released eight hours ago.

Interesting; there's nothing on my ACER pages and I received no notification mail. Maybe they got the day wrong; since the 16th was the day they were released last year.

I've mailed them anyway to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 vladd25

Is the results curve going to be published now or in June when we all get our results?

Nocofee wrote: »

Just for clarification, I am not denigrating the work done by dalta5billion, just noting that it is quite unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mhf55

Is there anyone who was actually affected by the mistake on here?

Yea there's a good few who posted on here for a few days after the hpat

fitzyg wrote: »
    I think I would be, and I know a few others who may be, but is there really any point? I've kind of given up tbh, Its just so disheartening to not even have the mistake acknowledged. theyre saying it didn't happen but several unconnected people came forward saying it did. there is not a chance that exam ended at 1:06. And as others have said, its a bit too convenient that the last 3 questions just 'happen' to be unscored. And its completely unfair to those in other centres who had the correct amount of time and spent it answering those questions. honestly I'm just so fed up of Acer and this BS exam. Ugh.
    /rant over
    I still haven't received any written accounts of what happened in Goldsmith Hall, and we can't really proceed without them, given that ACER has chosen to dispute the fundamental facts.

Even if you all forward the emails you sent in complaint to ACER to hpatsu@gmail.com then I can make a start on the process of contacting journalists, writing to the IMT etc - as I'll need the full facts in hand in order to move this thing on.

Also, like all of you, I'm absolutely swamped by study. If anyone would like to help out with the running of the union I'd be very grateful.
    mhf55 wrote: »
    Yea there's a good few who posted on here for a few days after the hpat

I might be wrong but the only person that I can see that has actually stated they were in Goldsmith was Fitzyg? Please do correct me if I'm wrong though.

I bit be wrong but the only person that I can see that has actually stated they were in Goldsmith was Fitzyg? Please do correct me if I'm wrong though.

I was there and I remember some others saying they were at the beginning when it happened but I don't remember usernames

I was there and I remember some others saying they were at the beginning when it happened but I don't remember usernames

Ok ill take your word, must not have gone back far enough. Did anyone give a statement?

Ok ill take your word, must not have gone back far enough. Did anyone give a statement?

I did and I think I remember someone else on here saying they did? Not sure though!

• Advertisement

I did and I think I remember someone else on here saying they did? Not sure though!

Maybe Dalta can weigh in on that?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Firstly, please don't drag up discussions from Helpdesk or DRP here, it's against Boards general rules.

Secondly, please avoid getting into one-on-one tit-for-tat arguments. People won't always agree, it would be amazing if they did, but we would strongly encourage courtesy and the acceptance that others have different views. At the very least, try not to personalise issues or disagreements.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

I was in Goldsmith

Firstly, please don't drag up discussions from Helpdesk or DRP here, it's against Boards general rules.

Secondly, please avoid getting into one-on-one tit-for-tat arguments. People won't always agree, it would be amazing if they did, but we would strongly encourage courtesy and the acceptance that others have different views. At the very least, try not to personalise issues or disagreements.

Fair enough on the helpdesk, but the second guy only called me annoying. No need to delete his/her post. I'm a big boy, my feelings aren't that easily hurt.

I usually wouldn't comment, but since the actual matter in the helpdesk relates to this, and there has been no communication from the admin, expect for an explanation that they need more time, I feel that I will. Its really annoying when mods just delete comments that they don't like. Issue a warning, explain the rule to the person. Mods always explain that there is a process; warning, ban, pm the mod, go to DRF or helpdesk, etc.. However the whole system is thrown out the window when the mod just deletes the post.

OMGeary wrote: »
    I was in Goldsmith

Ok sorry, I obviously, didn't go back far enough in my search, my bad guys!

Fair enough on the helpdesk, but the second guy only called me annoying. No need to delete his/her post. I'm a big boy, my feelings aren't that easily hurt.

I usually wouldn't comment, but since the actual matter in the helpdesk relates to this, and there has been no communication from the admin, expect for an explanation that they need more time, I feel that I will. Its really annoying when mods just delete comments that they don't like. Issue a warning, explain the rule to the person. Mods always explain that there is a process; warning, ban, pm the mod, go to DRF or helpdesk, etc.. However the whole system is thrown out the window when the mod just deletes the post.
    Roughly paraphrased:

"Ok, I know that there's a rule, but I don't think it should apply to me, so I'm just going to go ahead and do what I've just been told not to do by a moderator."

*sigh*

One week's ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

Ok sorry, I obviously, didn't go back far enough in my search, my bad guys!

Don't worry, not sure if I ever specifically stated it.

Roughly paraphrased:

"Ok, I know that there's a rule, but I don't think it should apply to me, so I'm just going to go ahead and do what I've just been told not to do by a moderator."

*sigh*

One week's ban.

Not entirely sure what you mean here Randy, you paraphrasing is incorrect that is not what I meant, I am not sure what rule you are talking about?

This one.

Moving on, and hopefully back on topic.

• Advertisement

The mature results are out; I'm not sure I believe mine just yet though!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement