Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

school policy on nose bleeds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Anna, would you leave your class unsupervised to mop up the blood trail?

No, like I have stated in previous posts we have caretakers in our school.

Also, there is no reason to suspect that the OP doesn't have caretakers or janitors, a lot of posters seem to be doing this just to fit their argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

anna080 wrote: »
    Just your attitude about the whole thing. The teacher said it was grotesque, how can you defend/justify that?
    I know if anyone in my class had a nose bleed 11 or under I would not ask them to clean it themselves, I just wouldn't.

Right so you'd let your other kids possible walk/tread/slip and fall on someone else's blood? Leave it there for an afternoon until you were able to go and clean it yourself? Send a child to fetch a cleaner who might not even be on the premises? For god's sake, unless it was a genuine illness/injury, she is more than capable of cleaning up after herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

No, like I have stated in previous posts we have caretakers in our school.

Also, there is no reason to suspect that the OP doesn't have caretakers or janitors, a lot of posters seem to be doing this just to fit their argument.

There is also no reason to suspect that they do have a caretaker. I have stated twice that because the OP has not clarified we can only say that there is two outcomes. 1. the caretaker does it. 2. if the there isn't one the teacher would have to leave the class or the child would have to do it.
    Depending on your point of view compared to mine or the class teachers in this instance the child may or may not be old enough to do so. you fee the child is one year too young to do so. I feel (as it appears the teacher in this case does) that the child is old enough to do it provided they are in a physically fit state to do so.

I guess that part is just opinion really which ours clearly differs.

Afroshack wrote: »
    Right so you'd let your other kids possible walk/tread/slip and fall on someone else's blood? Leave it there for an afternoon until you were able to go and clean it yourself? Send a child to fetch a cleaner who might not even be on the premises? For god's sake, unless it was a genuine illness/injury, she is more than capable of cleaning up after herself.

Nope I would call the caretaker. The amount of speculation around here is gas

Nope I would call the caretaker. The amount of speculation around here is gas

Do you not agree that you were speculating that the OP;s school has a caretaker, just as much as others were doing they same saying they may not?

• Advertisement

seavill wrote: »
    Do you not agree that you were speculating that the OP;s school has a caretaker, just as much as others were doing they same saying they may not?

Tell me where I speculated? I simply stated what I do/have done in such circumstances.

Is there a fulltime "janitor" in the school who the teacher could have called? .
    You are presuming the school has a full time taker, many primary schools don't .
    PcAngel wrote: »
    Many schools do not have janitors/caretakers full time in schools.
    I think you are missing some of the points. The OP has not clarified if the school has a full time caretaker,

Tell me where I speculated? I simply stated what I do/have done in such circumstances.

Actually I was trying to figure out where others have speculated? The only pieces I have found was people asking or stating that some/many don't have where did people speculate as you referred to?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There's a bit of 'Let them eat cake' about this thread.

Most schools do not have the luxury of a nurse.
    Most teachers in Irish schools cannot leave an over-crowded class to go clean up after children who are old enough to do so for themselves.

I am genuinely heartened by the fact that at least one school in the country has an on-site nurse, albeit shared with another school. In an ideal world we would have one in all schools, but sometimes the heating bill comes first.

Actually I was trying to figure out where others have speculated? The only pieces I have found was people asking or stating that some/many don't have where did people speculate as you referred to?

You still haven't told me where I speculated?

• Administrators Posts: 13,861 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

The OP specifically mentions that he thought the teacher should have cleaned it up, which would lead me to the logical conclusion that a caretaker was not present.

For the poster who says their school has a nurse... What sort of school is it? Is it a school for especially sick children? A "special school" with children with varying health complications? Surely in a "normal school" a nurse on site, full time, is sitting for the most part of their day/weeks twiddling their thumbs. (Or else it's a very unfortunate school where pupils get injured/sick more often than anywhere else in the country)

Our school has a nurse who comes to the school for checkups and injections etc.. like every school in the country. But she would not be "on call" for a nose bleed.

I'm not a teacher, but I'm a mother. I would not have an issue with my child being given wipes to clean up after a nose bleed. Nor would I expect a doctor, nurse or ambulance to be called.

• Advertisement

The OP specifically mentions that he thought the teacher should have cleaned it up, which would lead me to the logical conclusion that a caretaker was not present.

For the poster who says their school has a nurse... What sort of school is it? Is it a school for especially sick children? A "special school" with children with varying health complications? Surely in a "normal school" a nurse on site, full time, is sitting for the most part of their day/weeks twiddling their thumbs.

I'm not a teacher, but I'm a mother. I would not have an issue with my child being given wipes to clean up after a nose bleed. Nor would I expect a doctor, nurse or ambulance to be called.

I find your post quite harsh, what's wrong with a school having a nurse?? Is it really that shocking to people? Jez Ireland really is gone down the pi** hole.
    Like I said, the nurse is shared with the secondary school. Shocking I know!!

• Administrators Posts: 13,861 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Is the nurse on site full time?

What does she do all day?

How sick are the kids?

Ireland isn't "really gone down the pi** hole" as you so eloquently put it. It's not like every school in the country used to have an on-site nurse, and now it has been taken away due to cutbacks. Fulltime nurses have never been "the norm" in Irish schools. Why? Because for the amount of times a medical professional would need to be called it would be an enormous waste of time, money and expertise.

But that is completely off topic!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

I find your post quite harsh, what's wrong with a school having a nurse?? Is it really that shocking to people? Jez Ireland really is gone down the pi** hole.
    Like I said, the nurse is shared with the secondary school. Shocking I know!!

I'd say most people are shocked. There's probably less than 10 schools in the country that have a staff nurse and in fairness like you said, if you have a nurse, you may as well use em!

Same with caretakers. If there's one to hand, then it's a non issue to have them deal with cleaning up. I presume you can call the nurse or caretaker from the class or contact them easily enough.

The problem is the people who are arguing with you here come from a completely different background and aren't of the mindset of having staff on hand to deal with this problem. As I said my school had 1 caretaker, and he could be out cutting the grass when something like this happened.

I'd say most people are shocked. There's probably less than 10 schools in the country that have a staff nurse and in fairness like you said, if you have a nurse, you may as well use em!

Same with caretakers. If there's one to hand, then it's a non issue to have them deal with cleaning up.

The problem is the people who are arguing with you here come from a completely different background and aren't of the mindset of having staff to deal with this problem.

More speculation, how do you know we are from different backgrounds?!?

Oh for God sake

More speculation, how do you know we are from different backgrounds?!?

Because your school has a nurse and mine doesn't??? Obviously.

Can everyone put up their life story so we're all on the same page? :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 667 ✭✭✭S.R.

lads and girls, move abroad, enjoy life in adequately run country. I certainly going to move. Sick of place.
    Instead of creating jobs rocket scientists came up with idea of 19.5 hours/week work for additional 20 euro. It stinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭PcAngel

S.R. wrote: »
    lads and girls, move abroad, enjoy life in adequately run country. I certainly going to move. Sick of place.
    Instead of creating jobs rocket scientists came up with idea of 19.5 hours/week work for additional 20 euro. It stinks!

Goodbye!

Because your school has a nurse and mine doesn't??? Obviously.

Can everyone put up their life story so we're all on the same page? :rolleyes:

So that means we are from different backgrounds?!?

Goodbye!

Did you say "goodbye" to those Irish who have already moved?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭PcAngel

Did you say "goodbye" to those Irish who have already moved?

I said slán to them.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭Squatman

seamus23 wrote: »
    What if it was vomit, wee or faces. Would she be expected to clean that up as well?????

Yea, if they dont get a shower in the morning, make sure she cleans her own face. :D LOL

So that means we are from different backgrounds?!?

In terms of our experience with the health and safety policies in schools.

I said slán to them.:P

And they replied póg mo thóin. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭queensinead

Who would be a teacher with such over-protective parents?

If a teacher leaves her class unattended she is apparently legally liable for any bullying or accident that might happen while she is absent. If she does not leave her classroom, or find a caretaker or nurse or SNA, (which probably also means leaving the classroom,) even for something as minor as a nosebleed, well, she can also come in for criticism from some parents.
    Some children get nosebleeds regularly. The frequency tends to increase in adolescence. The earlier they learn to deal with this rather embarrassing but minor inconvenience, with humour and lack of fuss, the better

seavill, now to you.
    Pressing thanks button here?
    U said u are a teacher. I remember when 5-6 years ago government did plan to cut ur money, teachers were going on about strike. We go on strike, we go on strike, blah, blah, blah. And look at u today. Pressing here thanks button, when I mentioned idiots that did run country to nowhere. Happy to have ur wages now?

seavill, now to you.
    Pressing thanks button here?
    U said u are a teacher. I remember when 5-6 years ago government did plan to cut ur money, teachers were going on about strike. We go on strike, we go on strike, blah, blah, blah. And look at u today. Pressing here thanks button, when I mentioned idiots that did run country to nowhere. Happy to have ur wages now?

Nothing to do with the thread, PM me if you wish to discuss it

Nothing to do with the thread, PM me if you wish to discuss it

Forget it, I am sure u got my point. What else to discuss?!

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭clairek6

I remeber having to clean up someone elses puke in second class!!! :o

• Advertisement

Forget it, I am sure u got my point. What else to discuss?!

I actually havn't a clue what you are getting at so again if you want to discuss something that has nothing to do with this thread feel free to PM me, if what you are on about does have something to do with this thread please explain becuase I am missing it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement