Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

school policy on nose bleeds

Options
  • 05-03-2014 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Does anyone know primary school policy on nose bleeds? My 11 yr old daughter had a bad nose bleed from classroom to toilet and the teachers reaction? She gave her a couple of wipes and made her clean it up in front of her peers, from the classroom, down the hallway and into the toilets .... surely that can't be right. While in the hallway my daughter overheard the teacher say it was "gruesome" and getting a good laugh from the class. I've challenged them but of course the teacher has denied this and her and school principle have closed ranks. Any advice??????:(

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Kids get nose-bleeds. They aren't a big deal. Getting a laugh out of the class probably stopped them from getting worried or freaked out themselves.

If it was a different kind of bleeding you might have a point, but I think you're over-reacting to this one.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Most schools wouldn't have a policy for really specific areas like nose bleeds. What did you expect the teacher to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 seamus23

I really felt the teacher should have cleaned it herself or got the janitor, if available but I didn't think you would make the girl who had the serious nose bleed do it. I don't know. Maybe I'm asking for too much. What if it was vomit, wee or faces. Would she be expected to clean that up as well????? Surely in this day and age there are policies and procedures for this kind of thing?????

• Administrators Posts: 13,855 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Is there a fulltime "janitor" in the school who the teacher could have called? Your daughter is 11, capable of wiping up drops of her own blood off the floor. Had she been younger, in the junior classes for example the teacher probably would have done it.

If she had been sick or soiled herself, I'd imagine she would be sitting in the office waiting to be collected and someone else would clean it up.

A nose bleed, would be on the lower end of the "serious" scale. At 11 being given wipes to wipe the floor after a nose bleed is hardly reason to be going to the school... In my opinion, anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,546 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I imagine at 11, wiping a bit of blood shouldn't be too hard - I really don't think a teacher should leave a class unattended while going down a corridor and into toilets cleaning.

Sick / soiling, is different. Normally I cover the area with tissue, open the windows, move whatever children are in it's area out of the way and ring the office for the caretaker. The child in question, depending on age, might get some of the 'spare clothing' from the office - if available. Obviously a phone call home as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,151 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The teacher, if expected to deal with it, would have been required to put on latex gloves. I think the best way was to let the child deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭certifiedcrepe

I think that's unfair to be honest. Nose bleeds can be quite scary at any age (for me anyway) and at 11 they really give you a fright. School janitors have to clean up vomit and excretment so surely they can clean up some blood too. I get the teacher making light of a bad situation but but she could have made a joke with your daughter instead of at her. As in cheering up your daughter in a funny way that the rest of the class heard so they know it's nothing serious. Even at my age, if I was upset/worried at something happened me and I heard a friend joke about it with other people while I wasn't around it would bother me.

At least bring it up with the principal to check if the teacher did the right thing by their rules and then decide if you want to take it further.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

You are presuming the school has a full time taker, many primary schools don't .

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭PcAngel

seamus23 wrote: »
    Does anyone know primary school policy on nose bleeds? My 11 yr old daughter had a bad nose bleed from classroom to toilet and the teachers reaction? She gave her a couple of wipes and made her clean it up in front of her peers, from the classroom, down the hallway and into the toilets .... surely that can't be right. While in the hallway my daughter overheard the teacher say it was "gruesome" and getting a good laugh from the class. I've challenged them but of course the teacher has denied this and her and school principle have closed ranks. Any advice??????:(

Did you really expect a teacher to abandon her class to wipe up blood and leave a class unattended?
    Would you prefer to have her class cry?
    You challenged the teacher and perhaps the principal.
    Hope you haven't made your daughter fear & panic the next time she gets a bloodnose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 667 ✭✭✭S.R.

Seamus, teacher was lucky that u r a father of girl. You are very calm.
    Wasn't doctor called to see ur daughter?

I am reading posts here and wondering what planet some people came from.

• Advertisement

You are presuming the school has a full time taker, many primary schools don't .

Who is a full time taker? What does he/she do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

S.R. wrote: »

A doctor? For a nosebleed?

vitani wrote: »
    A doctor? For a nosebleed?

Yes, for a nosebleed. She is only 11 yo.

If not a doctor, then may be a nurse.

Are there nurses in Irish schools?

That comment made me laugh. There are hardly enough nurses in hospitals never mind to be employed in schools.

PcAngel wrote: »
    That comment made me laugh. There are hardly enough nurses in hospitals never mind to be employed in schools.

Where are they?

What does happen when something is wrong with kid? Teachers call ambulance and just wait? Child stays without medical attention until ambulance arrive?

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

Why would a doctor be called for a nosebleed??
    If I called a doctor for every nosebleed or cut knee I've seen, we might as well have one set up full time in the school.

Speak to the principal of you do not approve or better still the teacher . Perhaps get their version before assuming they were making fun of your daughter. I honestly can't imagine a teacher doing that, but I also wouldn't be impressed of true.
    In regards the blood, why can your daughter not clean it up if she was feeling ok again. The teacher would have to leave a class unsupervised in order to do so. In saying that I probably would have don't that myself but your daughter is 11 and capable of learning to clean up
    After herself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,151 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Most schools would have a teacher trained in First Aid, but anything more than a First Aid issue, they are not covered by insurance to deal with. Teachers in our (second level) school no longer accompany kids in ambulances. We call the parents in to go with them. Sometimes the parent is 'too busy' to come in. I could write a book, but people would think I was making things up.

Why would a doctor be called for a nosebleed??
    If I called a doctor for every nosebleed or cut knee I've seen, we might as well have one set up full time in the school.

Speak to the principal of you do not approve or better still the teacher . Perhaps get their version before assuming they were making fun of your daughter. I honestly can't imagine a teacher doing that, but I also wouldn't be impressed of true.
    In regards the blood, why can your daughter not clean it up if she was feeling ok again. The teacher would have to leave a class unsupervised in order to do so. In saying that I probably would have don't that myself but your daughter is 11 and capable of learning to clean up
    After herself.

I did not talk about nosebleed when I said to Seamus that he is calm. I was talking about teacher making laugh.
    11 yo girl off course can clean after herself.

spurious wrote: »
    Most schools would have a teacher trained in First Aid, but anything more than a First Aid issue, they are not covered by insurance to deal with. Teachers in our (second level) school no longer accompany kids in ambulances. We call the parents in to go with them. Sometimes the parent is 'too busy' to come in. I could write a book, but people would think I was making things up.

Insurance for what, sorry? What does insurance cover?

Parents' working place might be too far. U can't wait for them in case something wrong happened.

No, I won't think u r making things up. Please tell ur stories.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,546 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

This thread has all of a sudden gotten a comedy factor!

S.R.
    I'd prefer to hear your story - I'd imagine it would be a lot more interesting.

S.R.
    I'd prefer to hear your story - I'd imagine it would be a lot more interesting.

What story? I never mentioned story. What are u talking about?

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    This thread has all of a sudden gotten a comedy factor!

Really?! Ha-ha.

Can u answer questions instead of trying to be smart?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I think people are missing the point. It was highly unprofessional of the teacher to call the nose bleed "grotesque", and expect the child to clean it up. I can guarantee most of you that of it happened to your child you wouldn't be too impressed either.

It's usually the case that the child would be taken to the bathroom with a friend and then let sit in a sick bay for 10/15 mins til the bleed had stopped. There is absolutely no way I would then expect my child to clean up the blood. Yes she is more than capable to do that but that's not the point. Schools employ janitors and care takers for such reasons.

No, Anna, they are not like that. If this happened to their kid they would had a laugh with teacher and class.

anna080 wrote: »
    I think people are missing the point. It was highly unprofessional of the teacher to call the nose bleed "grotesque", and expect the child to clean it up. I can guarantee most of you that of it happened to your child you wouldn't be too impressed either.

It's usually the case that the child would be taken to the bathroom with a friend and then let sit in a sick bay for 10/15 mins til the bleed had stopped. There is absolutely no way I would then expect my child to clean up the blood. Yes she is more than capable to do that but that's not the point. Schools employ janitors and care takers for such reasons.

Many schools do not have janitors/caretakers full time in schools.

No, Anna, they are not like that. If this happened to their kid they would had a laugh with teacher and class.

Lol

Many don't, but the majority do. Some schools have two or three. In any event it shouldn't be left up to the child (because that's what she is, a child) to clean up the blood after an upsetting situation.

• Advertisement

Many means some do have. Another question: why some schools have, some don't?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement