Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

school policy on nose bleeds

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 667 ✭✭✭S.R.

Is it up to state to decide which schools would have janitors, which wouldn't? What is criteria?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,152 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

S.R. wrote: »
    Is it up to state to decide which schools would have janitors, which wouldn't? What is criteria?

Money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

anna080 wrote: »
    I think people are missing the point. It was highly unprofessional of the teacher to call the nose bleed "grotesque", and expect the child to clean it up. I can guarantee most of you that of it happened to your child you wouldn't be too impressed either.

It's usually the case that the child would be taken to the bathroom with a friend and then let sit in a sick bay for 10/15 mins til the bleed had stopped. There is absolutely no way I would then expect my child to clean up the blood. Yes she is more than capable to do that but that's not the point. Schools employ janitors and care takers for such reasons.

I think you are missing some of the points. The OP has not clarified if the school has a full time caretaker, the majority around me don't one does as it is a large school with 500 students. A lot particularly smaller ones in the country may have a clearner that comes in, in the evenings that would be it. Again smaller schools would have a teaching principal so all the teachers would be in class and would have to leave a class unsupervised to clean it up.

Also a nose bleed that lasts for 10-15 minutes you would have already called an ambulance.

Unless it is a massive nose bleed (which most likely not return to class after) there would most likely only be drops going down the corridor. Not like it would be massive pool of blood all the way down. Again if it was it is highly unlikely the child would be even walking there in the first place.

I know any time I am dealing with a medical issue, I would try to make light of the situation to try to put the child at ease whether it be in school or at a sports match (obviously not in a major incident). It generally takes their mind off things and allows them to calm down a bit. I have no idea what the teacher said and in what context it was said so apart from that I won't comment further on that.

To answer the other poster Irish schools do not have medical staff on site. Some teachers may have first aid training and would do their best until an ambulance arrived. A teacher leaving the school to go in an ambulance is not that easy. You would require 2 adults to go or the teacher and two other children (not enough room in an ambulance). The best option is that the parents are called if it is practical to do so, the majority of times I have experienced in Ireland parents get there before the ambulance arrives or while they are there. Obvioulsy if there is no option then someone goes. the other point to consider if the teacher leaves the school then someone has to replace them in class, this is far from ideal unless in a real emergency. There would not necessarily be extra staff (particularly in primary schools) on the premises to take over a class etc. Again before I get given out to this is where there is a possibility for the parents to arrrive in time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,547 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I think people are missing the point. It was highly unprofessional of the teacher to call the nose bleed "grotesque", and expect the child to clean it up. I can guarantee most of you that of it happened to your child you wouldn't be too impressed either.

It's usually the case that the child would be taken to the bathroom with a friend and then let sit in a sick bay for 10/15 mins til the bleed had stopped. There is absolutely no way I would then expect my child to clean up the blood. Yes she is more than capable to do that but that's not the point. Schools employ janitors and care takers for such reasons.

I would have done that...If I had a sick bay;)

Are the 2 of you actually serious?

The child is capable of cleaning it - but it shouldn't be expected of her?
    Why not? It was a bit of blood not the scene of an operating room after a 10 hour operation.

SR:eek:...you think an ambulance should have been called?:pac:

spurious wrote: »
    Money.

Money? Some schools get more money from government, than others?

• Advertisement

ShamoBuc wrote: »

Pay attention please. In one of my previous posts I said that 11yo can clean it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,547 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Pay attention please. In one of my previous posts I said that 11yo can clean it.

I never said You did, you came up with the Ambulance, which is what I said you did....Pay Attention:pac:
    ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I would have done that...If I had a sick bay;)

The child is capable of cleaning it - but it shouldn't be expected of her?
    Why not? It was a bit of blood not the scene of an operating room after a 10 hour operation.

SR:eek:...you think an ambulance should have been called?:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Money? Some schools get more money from government, than others?

I don't think you live in this country, or know anything about Irish schools. Most don't have caretakers, barely any have nurses. An ambulance for a nosebleed? You'd be lucky to get an ambulance for a heart attack.

Nothing wrong with an 11 year old cleaning up a few drops of blood. I suffered from nosebleeds through primary and secondary and I always had to look after myself. t was never expected that a teacher would help.

Mountains out of molehills.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I used to get loads of nose bleeds all the way from about 7 to 15. I most certainly didn't get terrified by them. Get real people, kids need to clean up their own messes when capable.

enda1 wrote: »
    I used to get loads of nose bleeds all the way from about 7 to 15. I most certainly didn't get terrified by them. Get real people, kids need to clean up their own messes when capable.

This is 100% correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

[QUOTE=seamus23;89319996]I really felt the teacher should have cleaned it herself or got the janitor, if available but I didn't think you would make the girl who had the serious nose bleed do it. I don't know. Maybe I'm asking for too much. What if it was vomit, wee or faces. Would she be expected to clean that up as well????? Surely in this day and age there are policies and procedures for this kind of thing?????[/QUOTE]

I'd be curious to know why you think a teacher is responsible for cleaning up blood?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

seavill wrote: »
    I think you are missing some of the points. The OP has not clarified if the school has a full time caretaker, the majority around me don't one does as it is a large school with 500 students. A lot particularly smaller ones in the country may have a clearner that comes in, in the evenings that would be it. Again smaller schools would have a teaching principal so all the teachers would be in class and would have to leave a class unsupervised to clean it up.

Also a nose bleed that lasts for 10-15 minutes you would have already called an ambulance.

Unless it is a massive nose bleed (which most likely not return to class after) there would most likely only be drops going down the corridor. Not like it would be massive pool of blood all the way down. Again if it was it is highly unlikely the child would be even walking there in the first place.

I know any time I am dealing with a medical issue, I would try to make light of the situation to try to put the child at ease whether it be in school or at a sports match (obviously not in a major incident). It generally takes their mind off things and allows them to calm down a bit. I have no idea what the teacher said and in what context it was said so apart from that I won't comment further on that.

To answer the other poster Irish schools do not have medical staff on site. Some teachers may have first aid training and would do their best until an ambulance arrived. A teacher leaving the school to go in an ambulance is not that easy. You would require 2 adults to go or the teacher and two other children (not enough room in an ambulance). The best option is that the parents are called if it is practical to do so, the majority of times I have experienced in Ireland parents get there before the ambulance arrives or while they are there. Obvioulsy if there is no option then someone goes. the other point to consider if the teacher leaves the school then someone has to replace them in class, this is far from ideal unless in a real emergency. There would not necessarily be extra staff (particularly in primary schools) on the premises to take over a class etc. Again before I get given out to this is where there is a possibility for the parents to arrrive in time.

The ten minutes would include allowing the bleed to stop, cleaning up her clothes, getting a glass of water and makin her way back to class.
    Tbh some of the responses so far make me glad that none of you are teachers.

The ten minutes would include allowing the bleed to stop, cleaning up her clothes, getting a glass of water and makin her way back to class.
    Tbh some of the responses so far make me glad that none of you are teachers.

I am a teacher. what in particular have you an issue with in my response

I don't think you live in this country, or know anything about Irish schools. Most don't have caretakers, barely any have nurses. An ambulance for a nosebleed? You'd be lucky to get an ambulance for a heart attack.

Nothing wrong with an 11 year old cleaning up a few drops of blood. I suffered from nosebleeds through primary and secondary and I always had to look after myself. t was never expected that a teacher would help.

Mountains out of molehills.

U r right, I am not Irish. But I live here. Reading all these comments on schools and ambulance etc I think I have to move back home or go somewhere else. U honestly scare me. It looks like this country is in complete mess.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Many don't, but the majority do. Some schools have two or three. In any event it shouldn't be left up to the child (because that's what she is, a child) to clean up the blood after an upsetting situation.

Two or three? How do you figure that? Our school is enormous by primary standards and we have ONE (and lucky to have them.)

No primary school has a nurse in Ireland, many are lucky to be able to afford to buy plasters.

I am a teacher. what in particular have you an issue with in my response

Just your attitude about the whole thing. The teacher said it was grotesque, how can you defend/justify that?
    I know if anyone in my class had a nose bleed 11 or under I would not ask them to clean it themselves, I just wouldn't.

Two or three? How do you figure that? Our school is enormous by primary standards and we have ONE (and lucky to have them.)

No primary school has a nurse in Ireland, many are lucky to be able to afford to buy plasters.

My school has two caretakers and a nurse.

Just your attitude about the whole thing. The teacher said it was grotesque, how can you defend/justify that?
    I know if anyone in my class had a nose bleed 11 or under I would not ask them to clean it themselves, I just wouldn't.

I swear I wouldn't too. When I was in school 11yo kids didn't clean blood though they were able to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

U r right, I am not Irish. But I live here. Reading all these comments on schools and ambulance etc I think I have to move back home or go somewhere else. U honestly scare me. It looks like this country is in complete mess.

Have you picked up a newspaper in the last 5 years?
    My school has two caretakers and a nurse.
    Is it a private school or just an extremely large one?

I went to a school with 1000+ students and there was 1 caretaker, no nurse.

My whole attitude? I think you need to go back and read carefully what I wrote.

I did not pass judgement on anyone or anything I simply set out a number of facts for posters that were questioning things.

If again you read properly I stated that I did not know what they teacher said or what was the context so I would not comment on that. What is your issue with me here? Where did I try to defend or justify anything?
    I said in some situations I would try to make light of a situation to take the childs mind off things and calm them. This is what paramedics do every day.

Just out of interest why 11? Why not wait until they are 12 before they have to clean anything up? what makes 11 the number, why not when they are in secondary? should this be the cut off?

I would ask you to go back to my post and point out where you feel I had an attitude to anything. I simply stated a number of facts and realities, and i answered a few questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭PcAngel

That's your choice.
    If you expect doctors/nurses in schools....... - sorry you are disappointed.

Have you picked up a newspaper in the last 5 years?

Is it a private school or just an extremely large one?

I went to a school with 1000+ students and there was 1 caretaker, no nurse.

It's a large school yes, the nurse is shared between my school and it's secondary counterpart, both schools are located on the same grounds.

It's a large school yes, the nurse is shared between my school and it's secondary counterpart, both schools are located on the same grounds.

Are they private schools? Would you care to answer my response to you?

Are they private schools? Would you care to answer my response to you?

I said 11 because that's usually fifth class age. By sixth class they are usually more assertive and would probably just clean it themselves unprompted, that's from my experience anyway.
    I don't have the time to go back and pick holes in your argument as you seem to be expecting from me. We seem to have different standards for care and procedure in such a situation and that's grand, you disagree with me and I'm okay with that. All the best

I said 11 because that's usually fifth class age. By sixth class they are usually more assertive and would probably just clean it themselves unprompted, that's from my experience anyway.
    I don't have the time to go back and pick holes in your argument as you seem to be expecting from me. We seem to have different standards for care and procedure in such a situation and that's grand, you disagree with me and I'm okay with that. All the best

Are they private schools you mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Let us be real - an eleven year-old primary student is one of the oldest pupils in the school. At that age I was taking responsibility for junior classes when teachers were absent. It's all part of preparing a youngster for the transition to secondary education, just as much as the difference between the contractive and possessive usage of the apostrophe.

Again I feel you are passing very bad judgement on my comments. I must say I take personal offence to that.

I am not looking for any argument I just simply asked what was the problem with my post after 2 replies you cannot point one out. You criticised my trying to defend or justify the teachers comments when I clearly said I would not pass any comment on them.

I think you were quick with a reaction based on your interactions with other posters and took it out on me and now can't justify them.

In relation to the point about 5th or 4th or 6th class, there is no basis for that argument at all. Only that you or others picked a number out of your head. You may feel that 5th class would be the time that its ok. I think that 4th class if fine anyting under that is a bit young.

Again I feel you are passing very bad judgement on my comments. I must say I take personal offence to that.

I am not looking for any argument I just simply asked what was the problem with my post after 2 replies you cannot point one out. You criticised my trying to defend or justify the teachers comments when I clearly said I would not pass any comment on them.

I think you were quick with a reaction based on your interactions with other posters and took it out on me and now can't justify them.

In relation to the point about 5th or 4th or 6th class, there is no basis for that argument at all. Only that you or others picked a number out of your head. You may feel that 5th class would be the time that its ok. I think that 4th class if fine anyting under that is a bit young.[/quote

Actually it was you who responded to my argument first, I was just replying to you.
    No need to get offended or take anything personally. The problem I have with you reply is obvious, as it's the exact opposite to my comment, you see no problem in having the child clean it up, and I do. I didn't pick a number out of my head, that's just how we do things in my place. Like I said before we obviously have different standards of care, no need to take offence because of it.

Are they private schools you mentioned?

No they're not

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Anna, would you leave your class unsupervised to mop up the blood trail?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement