Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to get car back on the road with car tax arrears?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I didn't know about the practice until I googled it tonight and stumbled across this thread on Boards.

I take your point, as I say, I accepted full responsibility for screwing up the first day. In six years of driving I always paid it yearly so never had any knowledge of how it worked when 'off the road'.

Hey no worries man. It was really not directed at you at all. Just stumbled over this thread myself and only saying thus is the nature of public forums. Good luck with getting back on your wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Boskowski wrote: »
    I guess eventually they will close that hole too and pursue previous owner for arrears.

By doing so they won't really close the hole.
    Surely some people indeed don't tax the car, keep driving and then after few months or years, change ownership to erase the arrears.

But if this option will be closed, people will just declare cars off the road in time instead, and keep driving.

No solution will help it, until there will be a proper road control system which will catch people driving untaxed.

And once this system is running and operational, then we won't need any declarations, etc.. It will be perfectly simple - vehicle taxed - you can drive. Vehicle untaxed - vehicle seized and big fine.
    Nothing else will work, and any declarations are completely pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭soulglo79

I didn't know about the practice until I googled it tonight and stumbled across this thread on Boards.

I take your point, as I say, I accepted full responsibility for screwing up the first day. In six years of driving I always paid it yearly so never had any knowledge of how it worked when 'off the road'.

Did you go through with it in the end? Any issues with insurance? Or did you change back ownership straight away? How long does a change of ownership typically take?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

I had to again this month, 2nd time in 12 months skipping arrears :)

saving me almost a grand. thanks loop hole

• Registered Users Posts: 8 shaneslass2003

Has anyone had any recent success in doing this? Although insurance is sky high now i doubt I will be able to afford it!

• Advertisement

yes, its fine , still works.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

I know the odds are tiny, but it will be interesting if Renua get a few TD's in the impending election and form a coalition with one of the big boys and get their policy of scrapping the motor tax system and put an extra tax on fuel.

The irish would agree to this in principle but when the day comes and the tax has been added to the fuel , I would imagine they would piss and cry about it like every other tax.

adding tax on to the fuel makes sense to me and Id welcome it but its also worth noting the fuel prices would seem very high at first and cause a lot to cry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

It might help revive the petrol car in this country since their won't be "chaep diesels".

will take at least 50 years to reverse the mindset of most

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

yes, its fine , still works.

i just transferred into my wifes name ...same address etc
    is that a bit dodge or will it still work ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Depressing. Hard to find a decent petrol newer than 2010 or so.

cavan4sam wrote: »
    i just transferred into my wifes name ...same address etc
    is that a bit dodge or will it still work ?

yes. its not a magic trick or a scam. it will work fine

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Nope just the tax but you can't be insured to drive a car you don't own.

I'm insured to drive any car i don't own as well as the ones i do own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

CiniO wrote: »
    By doing so they won't really close the hole.
    Surely some people indeed don't tax the car, keep driving and then after few months or years, change ownership to erase the arrears.

But if this option will be closed, people will just declare cars off the road in time instead, and keep driving.

No solution will help it, until there will be a proper road control system which will catch people driving untaxed.

And once this system is running and operational, then we won't need any declarations, etc.. It will be perfectly simple - vehicle taxed - you can drive. Vehicle untaxed - vehicle seized and big fine.
    Nothing else will work, and any declarations are completely pointless.

If the loophole is closed the scrap yards will be filled with classic cars that are presently sitting in sheds waiting for the 30 year cheaper tax .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I know a lad who just put his middle name to his swap ownership and got away with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

howdy folks, this does this "loophole" still work?

recently transferred to someone at the same address. Assume i an just transfer it back to myself once it arrives and then mosey into the tax office when it is re registered to my name and pay for 3 months?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

howdy folks, this does this "loophole" still work?

recently transferred to someone at the same address. Assume i an just transfer it back to myself once it arrives and then mosey into the tax office when it is re registered to my name and pay for 3 months?

cheers

Yep, It'll always work as it's not a loophole :)

happy motoring

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I did this years ago and you should be able to back date the off the road status.

I just had to fill out a form and get it signed in a garda station.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

I did this years ago and you should be able to back date the off the road status.

I just had to fill out a form and get it signed in a garda station.

Nah that's been done away with a few years now, have to SORN (pre-emptively declare the car off the road) a car now before the period of non use or else backdate to last tax date when re-taxing.

This doesn't apply if a vehicle comes into new ownership - new owner is only liable for tax from when they purchased it - hence above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Andy_Dublin

I don't know if it has been mentioned in this thread previously but do people not realise that transfering the vehicle (while it is insured in your name) ownership to another person that it may affect their insurance?

It may not come to light... but if there was an accident and the insurers required the VLC for claim purposes and discovered that the vehicle was only transfered into their name after the inception of their policy the insurance company will canel the policy and the person would be liable for any outstanding claims against them... Essentially driving without insruance.

Seem like rolling the dice to me to avoid paying road tax.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

I don't know if it has been mentioned in this thread previously but do people not realise that transfering the vehicle (while it is insured in your name) ownership to another person that it may affect their insurance?

It may not come to light... but if there was an accident and the insurers required the VLC for claim purposes and discovered that the vehicle was only transfered into their name after the inception of their policy the insurance company will canel the policy and the person would be liable for any outstanding claims against them... Essentially driving without insruance.

On principle, I'll roll that dice as needed, thank you very much.

On what grounds will they cancel the policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Twice in the last two weeks i have friends change their logbooks to my name. Shannon will think im buying and selling cars and all back to the previous owners :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

The name on the logbook is not proof of ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Andy_Dublin

On what grounds will they cancel the policy?

At the inception of the policy the vehicle is insured as being yours and in your name. If the vehicle is no longer in your name you are not insured on the vehicle.
    pablo128 wrote: »
    The name on the logbook is not proof of ownership.

Possession of a logbook is not proof of ownership.

At the inception of the policy the vehicle is insured as being yours and in your name. If the vehicle is no longer in your name you are not insured on the vehicle.

At the inception of the insurance it was in your name, when the car is back in your name the car is obviously in your name. Once you don't drive/crash in the few days the car is out of your name then you are doing nothing wrong.

Also a car doesn't always have to be in your name to be insured. You can do a temporary transfer of you insurance onto another car you don't won for instance and that doesn't impact on your policy so I can't see why you think a temporary change of ownership makes any difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

I'd say the policy could not be void until the Insurance Company informs you that, having followed the usual procedure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement