Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to get car back on the road with car tax arrears?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ritchie10

I'll give it a go and see what happens .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

MrFrisp wrote: »
    It worked for me last week.

I just changed the ownership of the car over to my wife. The form came back in a few days, and I send off the car tax for the 3 months, and it's all sorted now.

No arrears.
    It wont work for long if you keep telling everyone, will it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

It wont work for long if you keep telling everyone, will it?

It's not that I'm to only one on here to mention it.

Take a look at a few other posts, and you'll see plenty other people have stated that they done it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Perfectly OK to do this as it stands so long as the car was genuinely off the road, otherwise, the arrears should be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭223vmax

corktina wrote: »
    Perfectly OK to do this as it stands so long as the car was genuinely off the road, otherwise, the arrears should be paid.

So if I sell my car that currently has 6 months arrears and I didn't send SORN in, will they chase me for tax owing once its sold?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Nope just the tax but you can't be insured to drive a car you don't own.

Yes you can, how do you think people drive cars on hp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

223vmax wrote: »
    So if I sell my car that currently has 6 months arrears and I didn't send SORN in, will they chase me for tax owing once its sold?

no. The arrears die on change of ownership

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

They will adopt a similar approach as the UK but we are always a bit/good bit behind.

It will be done when camera sytems become more common. ANPR camera systems would need to be fitted on all road networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 johnnycage2008

but does all this not effect your resale value of car ?

i.e. "number of previous owners" obviously goes up x 2, every time you try and do this. might look very suspect if a car you are trying to sell has 6+ previous owners ?

or am i missing something ?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

but does all this not effect your resale value of car ?

i.e. "number of previous owners" obviously goes up x 2, every time you try and do this. might look very suspect if a car you are trying to sell has 6+ previous owners ?

or am i missing something ?

Yes it will but for certain cars the cost to back tax would be far more expensive than any additional number of owners ever will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Mucker2020

Can anyone that has done this please clarify ,was this other person at the same address or did they have insurance,driving license etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Worth checking with insurance company that your cover is valid and maintained whilst the car is temporarily transferred to a friend or family member. If you're transferring you'll need to maintain an 'insurable interest' in the car. Might be different if car is temporarily owned by partner rather than friend or sibling.

Reckon it is only a matter of time until rules are changed to require a statement of tax compliance showing all back tax cleared before sale or transfer processed. Similar to how property tax must be cleared and paid before house sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭DarraghR

So the person that you change the cars owner to do they have to have a drivers licence or anything else?

DarraghR wrote: »
    So the person that you change the cars owner to do they have to have a drivers licence or anything else?

no unless they plan on driving it then they would.

I bought my 1st car @16.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭LordNorbury

narmst wrote: »
    I've been out of work for some time (doing some training to get a qualification to get something) and I've had the car off the road. I'm in Kildare and public transport to work isn't an option.

My car was last taxed in June 12 and the back tax / arrears is now about €1500.
    I didn't declare the car off the road. In retrospect I know this was stupid but I was sending CVs while doing the course and hoped that I'd get something.
    Anyway .. that's the situation and I have to deal with it.

My problem is that I can't afford the €1500 car tax but I still need to get the car on the road for interviews and hope to start back to work very soon (there's a few iron's in the fire).

I've asked at my local garage about the possibility of paying the arrears in stages at the motor tax office and he just laughed .. wondering if anyone know if they offer this options under any circumstance?

My other option would be to sell the car and buy a banger .. but really that isn't a runner as if I don't have the €1500 for arrears I don't have it for a banger.

The last options .. and this is why I'm writing .. I've read on the Irish Indo that there's been a huge jump in people selling their cars and the new owner not having to pay the past tax and arrears. Please don't write a lot of hate replies/spam saying I'm trying to avoid road tax .. I'm not .. if I could pay the arrears now I would .. if there was a way to pay in stages I would .. but without those options what can I do?

Does anyone know if it's possible to sell the car to a friend .. ask her to tax it for a year .. then buy it back? When I then go to tax it in my name would the arrears be waiting for me? Actually I don't mind if they are .. as that will give me the opportunity to save up and pay it .. again I'm not trying to avoid car tax .. but I'd like to know that it would be waiting because then I know I've got to put aside €125 per month to then tax the car in month 13.

If anyone knows any gottya's with this plan I'd appreciate it.
    If anyone knows any way I can get my car on the road any other way again I'd appreciate it.

OP transfer ownership to your brother/wife/GF/anyone else, and then back to yourself, and don't feel the slightest bit bad about it.

OP transfer ownership to your brother/wife/GF/anyone else, and then back to yourself, and don't feel the slightest bit bad about it.

5months old ??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭LordNorbury

5months old ??????

Oops, didn't cop that, apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

car was off the road for 15 months

had 15 months of arrears to pay last week, so transferred into my kid's name then next day back to mine

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭DarraghR

I have been on the motor tax website for a while now and cannot find a way of transferring the ownership over to another person. Does anyone have a direct link? Will I have to print out a form and post it off?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Daaryl

I have been on the motor tax website for a while now and cannot find a way of transferring the ownership over to another person. Does anyone have a direct link? Will I have to print out a form and post it off?

You just sign the log book and send it off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/staticContent.do?page=faq
    15Q. Can I change ownership of my vehicle on this site?
    15A. Not at present. When the ownership of a vehicle changes, both the seller and buyer must complete the appropriate details on the Vehicle Licensing Certificate (VLC), Vehicle Registration Certificate (VRC) or form RF105 (if the new owner is a motor dealer). The completed form should then be sent to the Driver and Vehicle Computer Services Division, Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport, Shannon, Co. Clare. The Department will update the computer records and issue a new VRC.

In the case of vehicles registered prior to 1st January 1993, notification of transfer of Vehicle Ownership Form RF200 must be completed and must be sent to the seller's local motor tax office.

You may check the status of a Vehicle Change of Ownership Transaction by clicking on the View Transaction Enquiry Link.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 shaneslass2003

Hi there

I know that this board is old but hoping someone can give me updated info? I am in similar situation, bought a car last year, didnt know had to declare off road and circumstances meant I couldnt get it up and running. I am now in a position to do so but tax is going to cost me €600 plus in tax arrears alone.

Rang tax office and some guy told me, although I dont think he was really supposed to be telling me, that I can transfer the car to someone close and then back again.

My question is, can I transfer the title to my brother say and then back to me again? If I do does he have to tax it before giving it back to me? Also will the arrears come back to me if I take title back?

Any help is appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

no he doesnt need to tax it

and obvisouly not the the arrears wont come back to you. If they did it would be a pointless exercise to transfer the car over in the first place :pac:

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,434 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Can you do change of ownerships in the main motor tax offices?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

antodeco wrote: »
    Can you do change of ownerships in the main motor tax offices?

They will accept the signed VLC form, but request Shannon directly to issue a new cert in post.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,434 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

mullingar wrote: »
    They will accept the signed VLC form, but request Shannon directly to issue a new cert in post.

Grand. Just need to get it taxed straight away!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sodafresh86

Hi all, first post.

I am just replying because I find myself in this situation. There needs to be some reform of this whole issue. I was in a crash last year and lost my job some time afterwards. I just decided to take a break from driving because A) I was a bit traumatized and B) had much less money than I usually would.

I was a bit ignorant of the tax rules and, on reflection, should have gone to declare the vehicle off the road. If I could turn the clock back this is exactly what I would do. A year on and I have a new job. I also, need to get the car back on the roads and have just had it fixed up by a mechanic and will be paying the insurance next month. However, the question of those tax arrears is going to break me. I imply don't know how I can face them.

I do realise that this is completely my own fault. I should have been aware of the laws/regulations surrounding the declaration and that I wasn't has left me open. However, I know myself that my reasons were genuine and that my only mistake was failing to just go in after my crash to say 'you know what, I am giving this driving craic a break for a while'.

Anyway, I am where I am and I want to do the right thing. If there was a way to pay the arrears in installments I would sign up to do that starting tomorrow. But there isn't and I just can't decide what to do.

I know it is easy to point fingers but I jut wanted to post to show that some of us do get into difficulties without ever intending to screw the system. It isn't always a black and white issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Just sell the car to someone and then buy it back a week later, arrears are cleared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

But then nobody is ever going to come here and say ha I couldn't give a damn and feck the system. All you ever hear publicly are the genuine heartbreak stories. Not having a go and not saying you're not genuine, but thats the nature of the boards world isn't it, everybody is genuine. And of course they never used the car while it was "off the road". I guess eventually they will close that hole too and pursue previous owner for arrears. By now the whole country must be knowing about this practice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Sodafresh86

Boskowski wrote: »
    But then nobody is ever going to come here and say ha I couldn't give a damn and feck the system. All you ever hear publicly are the genuine heartbreak stories. Not having a go and not saying you're not genuine, but thats the nature of the boards world isn't it, everybody is genuine. And of course they never used the car while it was "off the road". I guess eventually they will close that hole too and pursue previous owner for arrears. By now the whole country must be knowing about this practice.

I didn't know about the practice until I googled it tonight and stumbled across this thread on Boards.

I take your point, as I say, I accepted full responsibility for screwing up the first day. In six years of driving I always paid it yearly so never had any knowledge of how it worked when 'off the road'.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement