Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

40" Samsung Smart LED TV w/wifi €365

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Parents needed a new tv and we had recommended them getting a smart tv for Netflix and RTE player and so on but couldn't find anything good enough within their price range. I had told them about this yesterday and it was only at half 10 they decided to go for it.

Following the discovery of the verified by visa password being blocked on one visa card and the eventual finding of my dad's visa card and subsequent setting up of a verified by visa password, the payment went through at 10.59pm! :cool:

Close one but delighted they got a very good tv now for this price!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,880 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

damian139 wrote: »
    i suspect this would prove to be a disappointing purchase, with zero resale value.
    this , on the other hand.....
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00CS6XFZQ/ref=ox_ya_os_product#productDescription

....actual cost £203.97 incl vat and delivery, converts to approx €250.
    Resale value on a tv?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

If you look on adverts you'll be surprised at the (asking) prices on used tv’s. You would think a used tv a year or two old would be way cheaper than the equivalent for sales in currys etc – but it really isn’t. I really don’t get it – I have been looking out for a second hand tv at a good price but they are hard to find. I’d say this TV is better value that almost anything on adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Zascar wrote: »
    If you look on adverts you'll be surprised at the (asking) prices on used tv’s. You would think a used tv a year or two old would be way cheaper than the equivalent for sales in currys etc – but it really isn’t. I really don’t get it – I have been looking out for a second hand tv at a good price but they are hard to find. I’d say this TV is better value that almost anything on adverts.
    I'd agree. Had been looking for ages for something decent second hand. Nothing with these specs going second hand let alone new. I'd say if kept for a couple of years it'd still sell for 300 second hand

Colemania wrote: »
    Parents needed a new tv and we had recommended them getting a smart tv for Netflix and RTE player and so on but couldn't find anything good enough within their price range. I had told them about this yesterday and it was only at half 10 they decided to go for it.

Following the discovery of the verified by visa password being blocked on one visa card and the eventual finding of my dad's visa card and subsequent setting up of a verified by visa password, the payment went through at 10.59pm! :cool:

Close one but delighted they got a very good tv now for this price!
    Don't think the TV can get the Netflix app unless it's through an external device.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Don't think the TV can get the Netflix app unless it's through an external device.

Of course it can, once it has smart function it can through the smart hub

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'd agree. Had been looking for ages for something decent second hand. Nothing with these specs going second hand let alone new. I'd say if kept for a couple of years it'd still sell for 300 second hand

Seriously what is the story, all other electronics seem to depreciate, you'd think tv's that seems to get oudated so quickly would devalue crazy quick - but they don't at all. Puzzling

Etnies wrote: »
    Of course it can, once it has smart function it can through the smart hub
    Oh right. I was basing it on the following Samsung page: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/faq/FAQ00001263/58778/
    Seriously what is the story, all other electronics seem to depreciate, you'd think tv's that seems to get oudated so quickly would devalue crazy quick - but they don't at all. Puzzling
    Here's an example of a similar less spec'ed TV selling there for the same price as this new. It's without the stand also.

Mainly people chancing their arm, I put a now 8 year old 36" Phillips flat screen "HD ready" tv up on their for 150 quid and sold it..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I saw a few screenshots of this TV with Netflix on it. You saying that Netflix won't work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,880 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I saw a few screenshots of this TV with Netflix on it. You saying that Netflix won't work?
    Oh right. I was basing it on the following Samsung page: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/faq/FAQ00001263/58778/
    Of course it can, I dont know why he says he was basing it on that link either when the first line in that link says you can with the 2011-now product range, this is a 2013 tv. Google Samsung Smart Hub to see all the apps you can put on there.

Looks like I just read the information on the link I posted wrong. From reading again the table I was looking at was for Series 5 tv's without the Smart Hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Mudlan

Decent Tv for the price!! thanks OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

Thanks OP, now what delivery dates did you people get. I got March 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I got March 12th. SO I should expect to receive it approx a week later?

I got March 12th. SO I should expect to receive it approx a week later?
    Hopefully. They can be late with actual shipping dates but hopefully this one will be smooth enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

Thanks to the op for the heads up on this, I've been looking to upgrade the TV for a while now!

I also got an expected shipping date of March 12th, what is delivery time like with these guys?

Here's an example of a similar less spec'ed TV selling there for the same price as this new. It's without the stand also.

From a skim read that's talking about TVs in 2010 and before.. Quite dated

Etnies wrote: »
    From a skim read that's talking about TVs in 2010 and before.. Quite dated
    Table at the bottom has upto 2012 and up to series 9 but I believe it is in relation to non-smart tv's. Some of them must come with the App. As another poster pointed out it doesn't matter for this tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Shred

I got a March 12th shipping date also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭Zardoz

The prices people pay for some stuff on Adverts is bizarre.
    I see people buying electronics stuff for more than you'd buy the same product new online.
    I can only imagine its because these buyers have no credit card and have to shop locally.

Zardoz wrote: »
    The prices people pay for some stuff on Adverts is bizarre.
    I see people buying electronics stuff for more than you'd buy the same product new online.
    I can only imagine its because these buyers have no credit card and have to shop locally.
    Lack of knowledge of Bargain Alerts is their problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Thargor wrote: »
    Resale value on a tv?

Youve never sold a tv? Have a look on adverts mate

Anyone got any good links for review articles/videos?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭banaco73

Hi all bit of advice needed can I use this tv with sky HD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

banaco73 wrote: »
    Hi all bit of advice needed can I use this tv with sky HD

Yes

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Yes

Tx read on one of the boards that I need a DVB-s tuner for sky and there does not seem to be one on the spec of this tv

http://uk-en.forum.ibood.com/45221-__samsung_40_inch_full_hd_led_smarttv_with_built-in_wifi/

Tx read on one of the boards that I need a DVB-s tuner for sky and there does not seem to be one on the spec of this tv

http://uk-en.forum.ibood.com/45221-__samsung_40_inch_full_hd_led_smarttv_with_built-in_wifi/
    That's without a skybox or subscription I think that it won't tune.

That's without a skybox or subscription I think that it won't tune.

So once I have a sky box and subscription I should be good to go

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

So once I have a sky box and subscription I should be good to go

Yes

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement