Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,329 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 645 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

^

When I see that style of helmets it just reminds me of the helmet the Rocketeer wore 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭robbie_63

Hi folks,

Any recommendations on where to go for a leather 2 piece suit?

Have some money left over after changing bike so going to get some new gear.

Looking at rst or alpinestars maybe,

I know online is cheaper bit would like to try stuff on and see how it fits and don't mind supporting a good irish shop.

Cheers

Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 34,347 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Dainese in Bikeworld for jacket/pants/boots imo

Since I know exactly what fits me with Shoei lids I get them online (motorcycleshop.ie is good)

Gloves would be wherever has an offer on.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭goblin59

two tracksuit wearing **** stains tried to rob my GS the otherday outside the lidl in smithfield.

As soon as I went in the shop door they had jumped off the scooter to try and get on my bike. They legged it before I could grab one of them.

No helmets and grey tracksuit on a beatup moped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭GBX

At least you were close by. Feral c**TS.

just wish i got closer to grab one! let the garda know, but I'd say they bastards were well gone by then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

I asked for a quote on a tiger 660 yesterday when I was renewing my insurance. 900 and something. 305 for my Versys. Thought that was a bit mad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭TheRona

I've given up trying to figure out insurance.

I had paid €450 upfront for the year for a CB500X with Principal (which I still think is expensive). They wanted another €350 off me when I switched to a Tracer 7. €800 for the year!!

I got a quote from Liberty for €600 and another from Carole Nash for €350. Needless to say, I switched to Carole Nash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

800 for the fire breathing Tracer 7. Ffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,820 ✭✭✭✭listermint

They can't start it so do they just run off with it and try start it later ?

yeah, they push it to a location and then try to hotwire it.

the GS has a immobiliser which I think is part of the Canbus system, so can't be hotwired easily

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭JP 1800

Whats going on with all the bike thefts lately. I have come across several people with the same stories and was talking to my local bike mechanic who was working on two bikes that were recovered after being stolen. It seems like the 90s again where bikes instead of cars are been stolen for joy riding.

Yeah, my mechanic said that he had a couple of Gardai in his shop recently and they said the little scrotes know they can't be touched at the moment. Apparently the Gards are about to given more powers to go after them again, so we'll see what difference it makes.

yeah because they are under 18 the garda can't do ****.

Called past my bike shop today, and the guy said someone got in touch with him just recently with a brand new Tracer that wouldn't start anymore, they thought it might be the immobiliser playing up. He said no problem, just bring the bike in with the log book, and he'll take a look. Of course, the guy never showed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭enrique66_35

My 4 year odyssey is over as I finally passed my test last Friday!

I did the IBT in Sept 19, went on the waiting list in 2021 (when renewing the permit). Got offered a test in Dec 21 but was still fighting to get my log book updated to show the correct info and my IBT had expired so had to leave it off. Re-took the IBT in May and got a test in Sept 22, failed as was not far enough over when stopped to turn at a junction (marked me down 5 times for the same thing) - my own fault, should have had pre-test lessons to catch that kind of stuff. Went back on list that night and took until last week before I got a second crack it. I made sure I had a pre-test lesson in this time and passed. Not a minute too soon as my learner permit was expiring today.

Just wanted to give my story for anyone getting frustrated waiting to be called - you will get there eventually, hopefully without another pandemic costing you 2 years! 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 12,516 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Been better if he'd not said anything and check out the vin/reg with the guards.

I passed as rest of test went well but the tester said similar for position at a junction that I could have been hit with a few things there as well so got lucky he didn't as depending on the category's that could have screwed me so I only got the 1 grade 2 there.

His instruction was continue along or with or something, but it was a T junction so didn't make sense but at last minute I noticed the tiny left only sign from roadworks that were up to the right. I was late to spotting it and had position in centre of lane and since in the wrong position I left room on left, and since there was room I should have checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭enrique66_35

Strictly speaking the rules of the road say to keep over so traffic going straight on or right can pass (if you're turning) but I won't be hugging the kerb as much as I was during the test.

Way too many d**k heads in big SUVs who will try to muscle around you going in the same direction if you do (in my experience) so you end up in the ditch.

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Got a little leak from the slave cylinder on the B12. Only needs a rubber seal, but ordered the kit from wemoto €34. A bit pricy for a rubber seal but whatever. Of course I forgot about good old brexit, an post/customs €11 on top. Probably get the seal for a fiver in a bearing shop. Would have to be wary about buying any decent kit from the UK. Especially as there's no mention of charges when you buy online until an post sends an email.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,820 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Don't buy anything from a UK website tbh. Very very few have built in costs. So means working out the charges yourself. If yours still happy After doing the price fire ahead.

Rebuilding brakes today is really making me want a ultrasonic parts washer.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 645 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

I had a lend of a GasGas Supermoto today, god it was an awful thing. Dont know how folks drive them

• Registered Users Posts: 34,347 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Wemoto have an .ie website, I would have expected that if you order from that you'd be ok - but maybe not.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

No, I ordered from wemoto.ie, then contacted by an post. The fees are small and not a problem but if you were to order some big ticket items you could be in for a shock. On a plus side, at least I forgot about all that brexit shite for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,230 ✭✭✭✭blade1

And funnily enough I've ordered a few times from fowler's UK, expecting to get hit and they've sailed through.

Wemoto i think remove any VAT on sale if you look at the purchase invoice should be zero VAT.

If theres Irish VAT on it, contest the charge

All sorted anywho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

How many times can you renew a learner permit? I'm on second renewal. I'm guessing at some stage you will have to take the theory test again

• Advertisement

Bought a 10l ultrasonic parts washer, I've 2 uses for it with cleaning parts, nuts, bolts, and then cleaning residue off plastic stuff or removing paint off them/prepping for paint.

Going by basket size 10l should be enough for callipers and while I probably won't be dunking in 4 carbs assembled at once I can fit them disassembled and do it properly. If someone wanted to clean up casing covers like head or gear then would def be too small.

Will **** up anodised stuff so if anyone is thinking about it remember that, lacquered paint usually safe dependant on liquid used.

Still have second front calliper to finish but won't need this, waiting for a set of nylon brush for Dremel as they're mostly clean now but still some crud in the grove for the seal.

Advertisement