Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

So, picking up the bandit 12 tomorrow. Have the fazer6 aswell. Both semi nekid bikes, sit up and beg, and fill a similar role. One is revvy, flickable and light, with ok handling on standard bits, the other is the bandit (which I haven't even ridden yet).

Thinking about what I will do next. I have a few options. I don't have a shed at the moment, but that will be sorted in a few weeks, so that will be somewhere to do work on them.

Option 1 - keep one, sell the other, but Where's the fun in that. I would only have one bike then, and one is less than two.
    Option 2 - Keep them both, doing a rolling restoration on the bandit (it's a 01, in ok nick, but could do with some tidying). Im getting it handy enough, so would have some funds to put into it. It's an S model, but it's easily converted to a naked if i wanted to do that. Rolling restoration would be a general tidy up, maybe fit new springs, shock, exhaust, jet kit (oooh - looking forward to carbs again), and ride it on. Keep the fazer for day to day use, and the bandit for hooning.
    Option 3 - sell them, both and buy something different (ill wait a while for this option tho)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,282 ✭✭✭✭blade1

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    That NSR for sale?

Just to give you a feel for it

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭TheQ_Man

blade1 wrote: »
    Just to give you a feel for it

Oh that sound....

Huge respect here for Rebel Riders MCC

1-C37-FECD-3-A7-C-47-C4-83-AE-622-EB7-A97-B74.png

Can someone with better knowledge than me answer the following?

My bike needs easy start spray to get it going when cold. I’ve been told If I keep using it, it will be the only way to start the bike in future. When hot it shuts down and restarts like it should. Carb issue? Don’t think I’ve posted it here already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

I wont claim to know any more than you do but :-) from my car tinkering days a long time ago
    Sounds like a choke issue to me

I know it's an old machine so does it have a choke
    Is the cable moving freely and does it operate on all 4 the carbs when you pull it?
    Looks like it pulls a rod that actuates on all 4 carbs

If the choke is working pulling it when the engine is warm should flood it and stall

I wont claim to know any more than you do but :-) from my car tinkering days a long time ago
    Sounds like a choke issue to me

I know it's an old machine so does it have a choke
    Is the cable moving freely and does it operate on all 4 the carbs when you pull it?
    Looks like it pulls a rod that actuates on all 4 carbs

If the choke is working pulling it when the engine is warm should flood it and stall

I’ll see what happens with the choke when warm

TheQ_Man wrote: »
    I’ll see what happens with the choke when warm
    Yep if nothing happens when its warm I would suspect its not working
    Worth a shot

Yep if nothing happens when its warm I would suspect its not working
    Worth a shot

Did it. The revs went through the roof

Did it. The revs went through the roof
    Did she pour out a little black smoke
    I guess the choke is working if the revs went up for a bit

The old choke worked in that the more you pulled it out the richer the mixture got
    Every car kind of had a sweet spot that you figured out after a while
    Too much choke would flood it and it would not start

How much choke are you giving it ? in the morning when trying to start
    How much travel on the cable

• Advertisement

Did she pour out a little black smoke
    I guess the choke is working if the revs went up for a bit

The old choke worked in that the more you pulled it out the richer the mixture got
    Every car kind of had a sweet spot that you figured out after a while
    Too much choke would flood it and it would not start

How much choke are you giving it ? in the morning when trying to start
    How much travel on the cable

Massive blow in the exhaust

This thing was loving the choke

It travels fully forward and back

I try all levels of choke to start it

Massive blow in the exhaust

This thing was loving the choke

It travels fully forward and back

Well back in the day if you flooded it ( too rich a mixture ) for the younger folk among us

You had to hold the throttle wide open for 30 seconds or so to let the fuel evaporate and then try again with more or less choke

Well back in the day if you flooded it ( too rich a mixture ) for the younger folk among us

You had to hold the throttle wide open for 30 seconds or so to let the fuel evaporate and then try again with more or less choke

I’m heading for 40 :o

The carbs are all over the shop I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭goblin59

Thrown up the video footage from the Aliexpress camera setup onto youtube for anyone curious.
    For €30 its actually decent.
    I have the Innovv K2 on the F650gs which is definitely much better, but also €300

Both take an SD card but the Innovv has more features and the cameras are very clear.
    Given the amount of **** drivers, I have cameras mounted on both bikes incase of any incidents (Didn't want to go down the go pro route either)
    These are both install and forget systems, they turn on with the ignition.
    Thrown a link in for both systems as well.

https://youtu.be/VmKfN9R8oMI
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001195432984.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dT6JcFi
    https://www.innovv.com/innovv-k2

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

For anyone riding through emo Village the cops are back hiding under the bike shed in the dark. Not sneaky at all. Used to be there regularly before lockdown and now they're back. Can't be seen at all from one side of the road, even when you've passed. Not that anybody should be speeding through the Village but it's good to be aware of hazards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭D3V!L

goblin59 wrote: »
    Thrown up the video footage from the Aliexpress camera setup onto youtube for anyone curious.
    For €30 its actually decent.
    I have the Innovv K2 on the F650gs which is definitely much better, but also €300

Both take an SD card but the Innovv has more features and the cameras are very clear.
    Given the amount of **** drivers, I have cameras mounted on both bikes incase of any incidents (Didn't want to go down the go pro route either)
    These are both install and forget systems, they turn on with the ignition.
    Thrown a link in for both systems as well.

https://youtu.be/VmKfN9R8oMI
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001195432984.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dT6JcFi
    https://www.innovv.com/innovv-k2

I have the K2 , well worth the money.

I usually wear a small helmet cam as well, shows where you're looking and adds a little more visibility to other motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭goblin59

D3V!L wrote: »
    I have the K2 , well worth the money.

I usually wear a small helmet cam as well, shows where you're looking and adds a little more visibility to other motorists.

I would definitely say the K2 as well over the aliexpress version,

Much better cameras by far, but the price would put some people off it.
    Can't really fault a €30 piece of kit, very easy install too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Similar I was practicing the first week (only 3 weeks now but feels like a long time ago lol) Dog started chasing me as I was trying to go through the gears, the same woman has her dogs running wild when I walk with my mate and his dog. Animals hearing is so much better it drives some of them crazy. The last thing I needed at the time lol

We never did hear back from this chap, did we? He just disappeared...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

horse7 wrote: »
    https://monimoto.com/uk/ride/4/

Anyone got one of these.

So had this about a week now. Have to say its very good and ticks all the boxes for me, having used a budget option for a while already. I'd recommend it.
    • The fob is a great idea, this means you don't have to switch the unit off or text a command when you're using the bike... and of course remember to turn it back on too. This was something I had to do with my old one to avoid using credit when I was riding. I really like this feature.
    • No wires, my old one had the option of wired and not, wired would draw the bikes battery and limit your options placing it, it would also be a good hint to a thief as to where its hidden. The battery used to die after about a week or 2 and need a recharge if not wired.
    • While not as small as my previous tracker, its relatively small and could be hidden in a lot of locations. But it will need to be accessed again to change the battery in the future.
    • Subscription is just 3 euro a month, about the same as what I was paying with my own data sim I used on the old one, and much cheaper than other sub based trackers. I also got 5 months free with a promo code
    • Was very easy to setup.
    • A test run proved it was pretty accurate but I never tested it where the signal could be blocked, like my shed for example, but did ride through very poor reception areas. I was also able to reduce the range of the fob in the settings so that it will alarm if the fob is in the house.
    • Alerts come pretty quick, but it needs more movement to get woken up than my old one, alarm calls come after about a minute of being woken. Good for avoiding false alarms I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭myclist

We never did hear back from this chap, did we? He just disappeared...

Im of the opinion that hes on here under a different username now. Also active on some of the motorbike facebook pages i believe with video tips for new riders!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Hope so! As long as he's alive and not nervously stalling the great Marauder in the sky :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Anyone know much good or bad about Moto4u? They have a yoke I might be interested in.

myclist wrote: »
    Im of the opinion that hes on here under a different username now. Also active on some of the motorbike facebook pages i believe with video tips for new riders!!
    Hope so :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Just wondering, where are people buying service items & consumables now, given the brexit sh1t show, duties, taxes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Got a few bits from crossons so that didn't get hit by customs charges. Also ordered a few bits from Nippy Norman's, they were quite, eh, generous when it came to putting the value on the customs invoice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

lennymc wrote: »
    Just wondering, where are people buying service items & consumables now, given the brexit sh1t show, duties, taxes etc.

Motorcycleshop.ie - nice and snappy on the shipping

• Registered Users Posts: 12,282 ✭✭✭✭blade1

ronanc15 wrote: »
    Motorcycleshop.ie - nice and snappy on the shipping

If it's in stock. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

If it's in stock. ;)

Haha, funny you mentioned that. Just had to email them to chase an order and they told me it could be weeks till its back in stock... Thanks for the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

If it's in stock. ;)

Fair! Must have been lucky with my past 3 orders. Fairly straightforward stuff though. ACF50, oil and filterd etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,942 ✭✭✭✭GBX

hairyslug wrote: »
    Got a few bits from crossons so that didn't get hit by customs charges. Also ordered a few bits from Nippy Norman's, they were quite, eh, generous when it came to putting the value on the customs invoice

Bought recently from Crossans as well. Was out of stock elsewhere.
    Isnt there an exemption for ordering from the North for a few more weeks/months without paying duty?

Advertisement