Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭listermint

in2dark wrote: »
    Thank you! How often do u change them?

I'm getting roughly 18-20 months out of them. Last two sets. Due change end of this year start of new year.

Set that's on them are from August last year. Daily driving. They have performed exceptional in the recent abysmal weather mix of national motorway and rural roads. Never felt pants moment from the tires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

listermint wrote: »
    I'm getting roughly 18-20 months out of them. Last two sets. Due change end of this year start of new year.

Set that's on them are from August last year. Daily driving. They have performed exceptional in the recent abysmal weather mix of national motorway and rural roads. Never felt pants moment from the tires.

Do you change them at the same intervals regardless of how much tread is left? I’ve seen tyres changed that looked new coming off yet were 2+ years old with little mileage done

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Banzai600

Started using Bridgestone BT A40 on my vstrom 3 years ago. I can't fault them for grip. Wet or dry or wear. I do over 500 km per week commute. Kept buying them they're that good

i had A40's on my 1200 tenere , they were good, and before that Metz tourance next - pure ****e, never again.

rode a couple of africa twins on karoo 3's in knee deep mud and roads / general ****e surfaces and would defo put them on the next big trailie i get.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Colm17RvB

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    This morning commute was less than fun, I got absolutely soaked :pac:

I've got a towel shoved down my pants at my desk :o Really need to get those waterproofs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Ugh, I've been there. Made it into work nice and dry... Trip home was a different story, the least glamorous thing about biking is putting soggy gear back on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

D3V!L wrote: »
    Well FML !!! :(

Me and a certain American brand of V-Twins just don't work well together. My less than 3 month old (to me) Harley Ultra Limited decided to sh*t it's coolant all over the road on Sunday.

It's been one problem after then next in the less than 2500 kilometre's Ive driven it.
    Think you and Makatomi might have a bit in common, a few years back he was in the height of it with a HD he bought, break your heart reading about it.
    I’ll see if I can find the thread and kink it

As the saying goes, if your harleys not leaking oil, you've run out of oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Do you change them at the same intervals regardless of how much tread is left? I’ve seen tyres changed that looked new coming off yet were 2+ years old with little mileage done

No I change then when they feel bad. When they start feeling bad there's usually a month or so left in them. The thread can look alright.

But you can get cupping or flatness on them from all that mileage. Still with lots of thread left. Threads a secondary concern I've found. Primary is handling

No I change then when they feel bad. When they start feeling bad there's usually a month or so left in them. The thread can look alright.

But you can get cupping or flatness on them from all that mileage. Still with lots of thread left. Threads a secondary concern I've found. Primary is handling

I follow you, interesting point. So for example, tyre looks in great condition etc, handling is poor, bye bye tyre?

The back tyre on my bike is in excellent condition, but I asked the kids to clean it for me one day, said request resulted in back to black on the main surface of the tyre, unable to get it off, have received suggestions such sand down the tyre but considering changing as I don’t trust it.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Sure just be lazy just do a massive burnout and get rid of the top layer of rubber :pac:

Done that :pac: I’m getting caught with cornering, that I can’t remove with a burnout :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,022 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You can if you're really good at burnouts :pac:

(go to 1:25)

Life ain't always empty.

You can if you're really good at burnouts :pac:

I’m not :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Took the Dragstar out for it's first spin in well over a month, and man did it feel amazing.

I'm faced with the sad reality that I'll have to sell her in the coming months as I'll desperately need the cash. In the last few weeks my grandfather passed away and my 8 year relationship ended, with the costs of moving house and all that stuff I just can't afford to keep the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Sorry to hear that man :(

Any chance you can hit up a Credit Union instead? When you're going through some tough **** it's nice to have something like the bike to enjoy.

Any chance you can hit up a Credit Union instead? When you're going through some tough **** it's nice to have something like the bike to enjoy.

Yes, the bike is good for the head. Selling a car or bike this time off year just causes anxiety.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Sadly its not an option, believe me when I say I've tried everything as well to get out of selling my bike. With some luck this is only going to be for a year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭blade1

blade1 wrote: »
    Well the red and white one will cost you around €1200ish all in.

I have considered the price difference, is the red and white the more rare/desired of the 2? I’ve heard Hourigan’s are the Brown Thomas of bikes

I have considered the price difference, is the red and white the more rare/desired of the 2? I’ve heard Hourigan’s are the Brown Thomas of bikes

The red and white is more desirable but not that red and white.
    The 98 colours... or they may have been 97/98.

He's not afraid to charge!!

• Advertisement

The red and white is more desirable but not that red and white.
    The 98 colours... or they may have been 97/98.

He's not afraid to charge!!

You’d pay the extra and go for red/white? Looking through his site he definitely is ruthless with his prices. Has anyone here bought from him?

There’s a 98 there as well with about 2000 miles for an extra €1000

You’d pay the extra and go for red/white? Looking through his site he definitely is ruthless with his prices. Has anyone here bought from him?

I wouldn't pay the extra for that red and white one.
    Crazy money imo.
    Out of those two I reckon most would prefer it in blue.

I wouldn't pay the extra for that red and white one.
    Crazy money imo.
    Out of those two I reckon most would prefer it in blue.

I agree, I could do a lot with the extra change if I bought the blue one. VRT is only €135

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I don't like all the crap on that blue one, it would turn me off with the coloured exhaust and screen but each to their own.
    I assume you'd also take the flag off the fairing? :)

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I don't like all the crap on that blue one, it would turn me off with the coloured exhaust and screen but each to their own.

The flag was the first thing I spotted :pac:

CJhaughey wrote: »

You could pick up those for cheap.

There’s a 98 there as well with about 2000 miles for an extra €1000

Yeah that's the colour scheme that seems to be the most wanted.
    A lot of those early R1's were known for giving gearbox trouble.
    So something to look out for.

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/yamaha-yzf-r1/23368345

Yeah that's the colour scheme that seems to be the most wanted.
    A lot of those early R1's were known for giving gearbox trouble.
    So something to look out for.

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/yamaha-yzf-r1/23368345

Didn’t know about the gearbox issues. I’ve made an offer of £2700/€3200 for the blue R1, was quoted between €350/450 from Kiely movers in Waterford to collect it and bring it to Cork. I might try Ted’s Truckin and see what they quote

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

I have'nt bought from him even though I tried a number of times. As already stated, he is ruthless with his prices and will leave you walk for €50 on a €11k sale. His trade in prices are $h!te also.

• Advertisement

Emmersonn wrote: »
    I have'nt bought from him even though I tried a number of times. As already stated, he is ruthless with his prices and will leave you walk for €50 on a €11k sale. His trade in prices are $h!te also.

Right then I’ll be avoiding him at all costs, thank you for the heads up. He’s clearly far from short if he is able to be that ruthless to turn his nose up at so much money

Advertisement