Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friesian cross bull calves

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭blackdog1

14 month old ho bullock? How are you managing that?

Crimp wheat and local millers beef ration. Feeding 6 kg daily with very good silage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Most bulls don't milk well. I killed bulls under 16 months last august at 4.00 r- to o= 3.80. 320 carcass weights. Thereabouts. Would have to go looking for paper work. They were bought in spring 412kgs 490 euro. Killed around 1200 mark I think Now I am impressed with your figures but they weren't extreme Holsteins. I have been there done that.

Leave the jokes too the pro's;).

Your figures are excellent and it serves to back up a lot of what pudsey says about the types of cattle that leave good money. Ours would be 100% ho I don't know what you would describe as extreme as you said plenty of mixing of breeds in a lot of cases between ho and fr. It can be hard to pick out extreme ho at times.

The lad with the highest prices for young calves around here is the guy with the highest yielding herd. He long ago perfected the art of turning out calves at the last possible moment before they require a test with a serious shine on them. All fed ad-lib whole milk from a few days old with a liscarroll auto feeder. In the worst years for calf prices he'd be getting well over the €100 for young extreme ho bull calves. Might be differrent for him in the future as it will be worth more for him to sell the milk than put it into calves (he's usually over quota to some degree).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭willfarmerman

The strain of Holstein I refer to is predominately white in colour. Resembling a greyhound in conformation. When they get older a ridge of hair up the middle of their back. In the 10 to 40 euro bracket you are looking at these, jersey crosses or very soft young calves. I wouldn't take a present of them. A relatively modest increase in the amount of money gives you a viable animal. 60 to 120 euro friesian bull is where the value is. And I'm talking with my money. 50 purchased calves on farm now. The first in 12 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

The lads that are buying up fr bull calves will yee sqeeze them or finish as bullocks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

To tell you the way im thinking, I lost a fr bull calf-head down so was probably dead anyway.so I was doing a few a sums, the calf if he lived could have drank at least 100 litres of milk worth about 40 euro take him to the mart-another 9euro so if I get 60 e I would have a tenner for my time.the calf sheds are filling and I working hard at the moment so a tenner a bull calf is not worth the hassle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

I'll take them off you just drop them down to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭willfarmerman

My calves avg 110 apiece in my yard. All are over 2 weeks at purchase. Gave 180 for v 8 strong ones back to 75. All sourced locally with help of dealer in the last 5 to 6 days. Bit o feckin dehorning on next week. I will be doing Them as bulls.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

In the farming Indo toady saw where dairy farmers are paying 10-20/haed to get lads to take JEX and extreme HO calves. I would imagine taht a lot of these are 3ish weeks. Is this the way forwards to let Dairy farmers rear calves to 3-5 weeks of age and get paid to collect them. Maybe next year we can get started on the average quality Friesian and in 2016 the better quality Friesian.

Maybe a good BF bull 5 weeks old and a score to take him away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

In the farming Indo toady saw where dairy farmers are paying 10-20/haed to get lads to take JEX and extreme HO calves. I would imagine taht a lot of these are 3ish weeks. Is this the way forwards to let Dairy farmers rear calves to 3-5 weeks of age and get paid to collect them. Maybe next year we can get started on the average quality Friesian and in 2016 the better quality Friesian.

Maybe a good BF bull 5 weeks old and a score to take him away

That's madness from business point of view I'm afaiid you would be better off to put them down at birth than bring them to 3 weeks old

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

trixi2011 wrote: »
    That's madness from business point of view I'm afaiid you would be better off to put them down at birth than bring them to 3 weeks old

Depends on your business. If you're getting 20 quid to collect them at 3 weeks it's probably not bad at all. I presume that 3 weeks worth of feeding will provide a small bit more meat for the dog food they are probably destined for.

• Advertisement
Advertisement