Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friesian cross bull calves

Options
  • 22-02-2014 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Does anybody know of dealers or farmers who are willing to take jersey x bull calves?
    Those of you who have jersey x bull calves what are you doing with them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

TossL1916 wrote: »
    Does anybody know of dealers or farmers who are willing to take jersey x bull calves?
    Those of you who have jersey x bull calves what are you doing with them?

Did you try an ad on dd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

simx wrote: »
    Did you try an ad on dd?

Waste of time. Two lads came and looked at some I had and in after getting scours in all them now.
    Good thing I had heifers seperate

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭TossL1916

simx wrote: »
    Did you try an ad on dd?

Yep, only timewasters ringing so far, any point taking them to marts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I'd expect in the mart you'd be looking at getting €10-20 if there was demand.

If I were in your position I'd be offering them at €5-10 ex the yard and hopefully you'll get a taker.

That way their gone and you haven't waisted your time at the mart.

What price were they in the dd ad??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,152 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Don't bother with those feckin jerseys lads use a decent br freisan or Holstein bull.superior heifer and more value able bull calf.im running for cover before the usual brigade cone in to correct me!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,855 ✭✭✭mf240

Hastings in roscrea will take them,

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Don't bother with those feckin jerseys lads use a decent br freisan or Holstein bull.superior heifer and more value able bull calf.im running for cover before the usual brigade cone in to correct me!!!!!

well we are where we are now so a bit late for that :P
    mf240 wrote: »
    Hastings in roscrea will take them,
    could you pm me their contact details please?

It's a tenner a head for the bvd calfs, I'm not sure if they charge less for a bigger number, guy in yard shoots them.

I will pm the number tonight it's in the house somewhere.

bbam wrote: »
    I'd expect in the mart you'd be looking at getting €10-20 if there was demand.

If I were in your position I'd be offering them at €5-10 ex the yard and hopefully you'll get a taker.

That way their gone and you haven't waisted your time at the mart.

What price were they in the dd ad??

Yeah mart would be a last resort, never mentioned a price in the ad, all we want is to move them out of the yard, would give them away for free no problem if they were collected
    mf240 wrote: »
    It's a tenner a head for the bvd calfs, I'm not sure if they charge less for a bigger number, guy in yard shoots them.

I will pm the number tonight it's in the house somewhere.

They charge a tenner per head? Surely a knackery man could do that for cheaper and collect the calves aswel?
    Please do thanks

Waste of time. Two lads came and looked at some I had and in after getting scours in all them now.
    Good thing I had heifers seperate

what is your plan for those calves?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

Now, now, down with that sort of thing !!

All a HO is any good for is getting a cross out of :)

what is your plan for those calves?

Dunno yet. Was selling them to another lad but he couldn't take them at the time but he can now but I don't want him to take these and give his own calves a scour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭exercise is the antidote

Is there anyone taking them and bringing to slaughter! Or is that a no go....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I know a man that bought jersey cross bull calves a few years ago for a tenner each. He was delighted with himself and thought it was like winning the lotto :D until half of them died and the other half came to nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Is there anyone taking them and bringing to slaughter! Or is that a no go....
    You wouldn't get 150 for them as they are like trying to fatten greyhounds.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    You wouldn't get 150 for them as they are like trying to fatten greyhounds.

I killed one 2 weeks ago. Made 1050 killed.
    That's not bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Yeah mart would be a last resort, never mentioned a price in the ad, all we want is to move them out of the yard, would give them away for free no problem if they were collected

Put the add up "free to take away" then...
    Why on earth lads insist on putting up adds and no price, its not like you don't know their value. Not much wonder you only get messers ringing and turning up.

Not having a go at OP but I wouldn't bother ringing an ad with no price, I've done it a few times and you just get lads saying "come to the yard and see the stock, you won't be disappointed"..
    Well I for one have better things to do with my time than running round the country looking at stock for the crack and then being asked forty prices because your in the yard and seen as half way there !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭biddy2013

did ye see the article in the irish independent about the jex calves?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

biddy2013 wrote: »
    did ye see the article in the irish independent about the jex calves?
    any link?

• Advertisement

yes :D
    Farmers nationwide are being forced to offload bull calves from the Jersey breed of dairy cattle for rock-bottom prices as they cannot be fattened up like other breeds.
    While female cows are bred for their milk, male cows, or bulls, are usually fattened up with feedstuff and sold for beef.
    Manager at Bandon cattle mart in Co Cork, Tom McCarthy, said the mart had been selling between 20 and 30 Jersey bull calves per week for just €2, while the normal price for the preferred Friesian breed of bull calf can range from anywhere between €80 and €150.
    Up to 500 Jersey bull calves were sold at the mart during last year's season for the breed, which runs between February and May.
    Mr McCarthy, whose mart is part of the Cork Marts group, said there has been a "swing" towards breeding Jersey cattle over the last decade because the female's milk is "great quality".
    However, the young bulls are considered useless.
    Mr McCarthy said Jersey cattle had become increasingly popular in the past three or four years as farmers have been forced to produce better milk due to increased competition.
    "She's also a lighter cow, which suits the conditions in some smaller farms.
    "If you have heavy soil, some farmers are going down the route of breeding them because there is less compaction of soil, which means better grass will grow.
    "Their milk solids are very good for butter fat and protein, but the downside is that their male progeny are not worth anything," he said.
    "It's the same all over the world. If you check it out in New Zealand, which is the biggest producer of Jerseys, I don't think they get anything for their bull calves," he said.
    A spokesperson from the Irish Farming Association said that out of a total of 2.2 million calves born in Ireland annually, it is estimated that 1.2pc are Jersey bull calves.
    They said that Jersey bulls are usually slaughtered after they are sold at a relatively young age, normally under 16 months. It it thought that many end up as pet food.

bbam wrote: »
    Put the add up "free to take away" then...
    Why on earth lads insist on putting up adds and no price, its not like you don't know their value. Not much wonder you only get messers ringing and turning up.

Not having a go at OP but I wouldn't bother ringing an ad with no price, I've done it a few times and you just get lads saying "come to the yard and see the stock, you won't be disappointed"..
    Well I for one have better things to do with my time than running round the country looking at stock for the crack and then being asked forty prices because your in the yard and seen as half way there !!

Tbh i couldnt agree with you more! However when i put the add up i thought they would be worth 10 euro a calf but i wasn't sure. It's now pretty clear where they stand in terms of value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

biddy2013 wrote: »
    yes :D
    Farmers nationwide are being forced to offload bull calves from the Jersey breed of dairy cattle for rock-bottom prices as they cannot be fattened up like other breeds.
    While female cows are bred for their milk, male cows, or bulls, are usually fattened up with feedstuff and sold for beef.
    Manager at Bandon cattle mart in Co Cork, Tom McCarthy, said the mart had been selling between 20 and 30 Jersey bull calves per week for just €2, while the normal price for the preferred Friesian breed of bull calf can range from anywhere between €80 and €150.
    Up to 500 Jersey bull calves were sold at the mart during last year's season for the breed, which runs between February and May.
    Mr McCarthy, whose mart is part of the Cork Marts group, said there has been a "swing" towards breeding Jersey cattle over the last decade because the female's milk is "great quality".
    However, the young bulls are considered useless.
    Mr McCarthy said Jersey cattle had become increasingly popular in the past three or four years as farmers have been forced to produce better milk due to increased competition.
    "She's also a lighter cow, which suits the conditions in some smaller farms.
    "If you have heavy soil, some farmers are going down the route of breeding them because there is less compaction of soil, which means better grass will grow.
    "Their milk solids are very good for butter fat and protein, but the downside is that their male progeny are not worth anything," he said.
    "It's the same all over the world. If you check it out in New Zealand, which is the biggest producer of Jerseys, I don't think they get anything for their bull calves," he said.
    A spokesperson from the Irish Farming Association said that out of a total of 2.2 million calves born in Ireland annually, it is estimated that 1.2pc are Jersey bull calves.
    They said that Jersey bulls are usually slaughtered after they are sold at a relatively young age, normally under 16 months. It it thought that many end up as pet food.

I would have thought that was common knowledge, you never see many in marts or factories.
    Hasn't one of the beef processors an interest in pet food

rancher wrote: »
    I would have thought that was common knowledge, you never see many in marts or factories.
    Hasn't one of the beef processors an interest in pet food
    the article is on fb also, people saying poor calves etc. How cute the calf looks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

I hear this every year and never gave away or shot one yet!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭exercise is the antidote

Fr calves going for 50-70today in the mart, big drop from last year...
    Jerseys goin for a 5-10 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭willfarmerman

They are bringing 20 euro in car new mart as long as they are healthy and a fortnight old. Better than paying knackery.

delaval wrote: »
    I hear this every year and never gave away or shot one yet!!

I would have gotten rid of all mine last night only I didn't want to pass on a scour.
    Your man would be a family friend too so don't want to dog him.
    Its a wierd scour.
    Calves are still thriving and mad for milk so haven't a clue why they are like this

Coccidiosis?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

I would have gotten rid of all mine last night only I didn't want to pass on a scour.
    Your man would be a family friend too so don't want to dog him.
    Its a wierd scour.
    Calves are still thriving and mad for milk so haven't a clue why they are like this

did you get a dung sample tested?

Advertisement