Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday Night Show February 22nd

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Skid X wrote: »
    If you know any Sober chefs who want to be on Television, contact the SNS.

FYP Skid.......;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

I just put what that heckler shouted at blannidge in to Google translate and here what it came back with...

"Give Sheana back her lunch money"..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭sudzs

I did like Sheana Keane, what is she doing now?

Probably just coming out from behind the sofa after watching the SNS!

• Registered Users Posts: 72,179 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

*emerges from behind couch*

*switches to BBC Four*

*straight behind couch again at lightspeed*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

I did like Sheana Keane, what is she doing now?

Think l heard shes going working with TV3 on a new show or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

*emerges from behind couch*

*switches to BBC Four*

*straight behind couch again at lightspeed*

I'm intrigued.

/looks for remote

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

sudzs wrote: »
    Probably just coming out from behind the sofa after watching the SNS!

Coming out?!!!!!!!

She'll be on the Sns next week so!

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Oiche mhaith agaibh agus choladh sabh (boards don't do fadas)

• Registered Users Posts: 72,179 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

I'm intrigued.

/looks for remote

The James Blunt nightmare is over :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

coolhull wrote: »

Níl aón excuse agat.. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Slan.

:D

Take care everyone until next week!......:)xxx

Bainne maith agus fuinneog dearg.

Eh what he said.

The James Blunt nightmare is over :)

Oh right.
    Ara... Adele is belting out her usual stuff at the moment. How bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭dcmm

Oh right.
    Ara... Adele is belting out her usual stuff at the moment. How bad.

Yep, her usual stuff sounds pretty good to me, I loved that concert she gave, she sure knows how to sing a song.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,619 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

dcmm wrote: »
    Yep, her usual stuff sounds pretty good to me, I loved that concert she gave, she sure knows how to sing a song.:)

When is she back from maternity leave? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Bad show. The woman with the cats? What was the point?

Nigel Owens? Ok, as Brendan said "Apart from the gay thing.........". Brutal. Maybe ask him after his struggles early on in life, how he ended up where he is today as a professional ref. That would have been nice to know!! FFS!!!

Crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

For me, it's not about the show, the thread is where it's at :D
    I think Brendan has lost his edge a bit. He is still well ahead of Tubridy, but that isn't saying much.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Bad bob

If it wasn't for the support of state, English would be her first language.

Do you not think that the state really fecked up by not having higher standards of Irish teachers in national schools. Teachers that could speak the language that they taught. No wonder so many people hated the subject (and the teacher) If the state was serious about the language you would have the immersion teaching system like they have in other countries. Des bishop learnt it in a year, how hard could it be. And he's a yank! We cheer like crazy when Obama said 'Is feidir linn', there wasn't a car in the country without the sticker. We have pride in ourselves and our heritage, yet the gaeilgeoir gets nothing but abuse for trying to live his life in Irish in his own country. We've had English forced upon us our whole lives. All we want are the same rights as you and that the state stop treating us like second class citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

For Heavens sake!

Irish is the enforced and imposed language.

If Irish was the natural first language why was it mandatory in school and certain jobs ?

Up to the 1970s you actually failed your Inter or your Leaving if you failed the Irish exam. Why get bonus marks for sitting some LC papers through Irish?

My tax euros are as hard earned as those of some of the bloody gaelgors (sp?) who see themselves as purer and superior Irish citizens because of their knowledge of Irish. They need to cop themselves on as their indulgence is a luxury that many cannot afford such are peoples' pressing practical priorities.

Would those who insist on dealings in Irish revert to English in A & E when they roll in with acute appendicitis? Yes !

What next - a calendar featuring your 12 favourite Irish speakers ? I fancy Peig Sayers smoking a pipe for July.

Abbreviated rant over !!

how do you think we ended up speaking english,??? it was forced upon us.
    and now today it is still forced upon us. any interaction I have with the state I am forced to do so in English . Even the basics of getting a new Driving license. They wont give me one in my own name because there are fada's in it. We live in Ireland ffs! My name has been meet by servant of the state with every imaginable reaction from what's that in English (would you ask a chinese person that???) to, and i quote "you must de bleeding joking!' Same goes for the telephone directory any medical treatment for my children is only supplied through english. My name on my medical records had been altered in a hospital to an version of what they thought my name should be in english. I discovered that little beauty while I was in A&E and yes I was speaking English because they had no Irish. I enjoy speaking english , it's a beautiful language, I had good teachers. Irish is also a beautiful language. I, for the record, have only ever had one name and that is in Irish.
    My schooling even though the school was in the gaeltacht the Dept of education would not supply book that were on the ciriculum in irish therefore I had to work twice as hard in the same amount of time with my school work looking up dictionaries for transitions and terminology. and the dept. of ed. insisted you accept teachers on the panel to teach in the school even tough they had no Irish and therefore were unable to teach the subjects in the gaeltacht school i attended. This is still happens today. A school in An Rinn wanted to employ a teacher who spoke irish but the DOE insisted they employ a teacher, with no Irish, from the panel. Does that make any sense? Not if you are serious about teaching Irish in Schools,it doesn't!
    In May last year, in Dublin, a man was put in handcuffs and arrested for wanting to conduct his business as gaeilge with a member of an Garda Síochána. Last time i checked speaking irish was not a crime. My taxes go towards the state too.
    Why do you think it right to abuse my me for speaking my language with your 'bloody gaelgors' As an Irishman who speaks Irish I don't think I'm purer or superior to you, only different . the rest is your hang-up. As for your trite comment about Peig sayers on a calendar??? do I go around saying that you have a calendar featuring Queen Victoria on it???
    Such comments are beneath you. We have two languages on this Island, both are great languages, an older one and a newer one. Each are different and bring with them many treasures in literature, song, and each has its own rhythm,sounds and humour.
    Abbreviated rant over!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Bad bob wrote: »
    and now today it is still forced upon us. any interaction I have with the state I am forced to do so in English . !

How awful for you. Gosh, puts me worrying what the children are going to eat next week into perspective.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    How awful for you. Gosh, puts me worrying what the children are going to eat next week into perspective.

Gosh, I had no idea that it was one or the other. Language rights for the Irish or feeding your child. Gee, that's a conundrum. I guess we'll have to feed your child and kill off those horrible greedy gaelgeoirí.

Gosh, I had no idea that it was one or the other. Language rights for the Irish or feeding your child. Gee, that's a conundrum. I guess we'll have to feed your child and kill off those horrible greedy gaelgeoirí.

It's just that I am of an age to remember when people and business in gaeltact areas where getting money and subsidy hand over fist. And now I am told these areas are under threat, is it the language or subsidy that is under threat I wonder?
    I see people (usually middle class and for reasons other than Irish I suspect) lobby for, in many cases unnecessary gael scoilenna, when the education budgets are particularily stretched and dammed be anybody who objects.
    And just today I see a letter doing the rounds that attempts to make the travails and 'oppression' of Irish speakers similar to being discriminated against because of your sexuality.
    Talk away as gaelige if it makes you feel more Irish but if you want somebody conversant in Irish in every situation you decide you want them then please tell me how this can be done without taking away from more pressing needs.

Get a grip and get in an appropriate and morally correct place in the queue.

point 1 I have never asked for or got a grant for anything. It's the language thats under threat. Linguists say that it has reached the tipping point and if nothing is done to protect it, it will be gone in 15-20 yrs.
    2 of course it must be another agenda… it couldn't possible be that there are parent out there who want there children to speak Irish, we are in ireland after all and the english schools have failed with that regard. I don't see any empty 'unnecessary' gaelscoileanna as you say unnecessary to whom? not the parents who want their children to speak Irish as well as english. The gaelscoileanna are not a sanctuary for rascists or snobs as you allude to. The myth that I have heard that comment many time from people who don't sent there children there. Gaelscoileanna welcome people of all races and backgrounds. If they didn't I wouldn't send my children to them, What do you think I am a bigot?
    The Letter you refer to from Rory O'Neill, Aka Panti. I read the original and support his cause wholeheartedly, no section of society should be marginalized, bullied, made feel like they have lesser rights, yet here we are… I also read the one you refer to and at first laughed at the letter but then, the more I read the sadder I got because a lot of what's in there is true. It really can be tough being a gaeilgeoir. We are treated like foreigners in our own country.
    I don't 'talk away as gaeilge to make me feel more Irish'. that's your hang-up. We always spoke Irish, we had rights, and now you want me to justify my existence… To quote Oscar Wilde.. '...you know the price of everything but the value of nothing'. All of the recommendations made by the Lanuage commissioner Seán Ó Cuirreáin were 'cost-neutral'. he resigned earlier this year due to the governments inaction.

I don't expect you to understand this. and i expect you to further mock me, so be it.

point 1 I have never asked for or got a grant for anything. It's the language thats under threat. Linguists say that it has reached the tipping point and if nothing is done to protect it, it will be gone in 15-20 yrs.
    I didn't say you asked or got a grant, calm down. What I am saying is that vast amounts of money have already been invested to save the language, which by your own admission didn't work. So money is obviously not the answer. What does this word 'protect' actually mean now in 2014.
    2 of course it must be another agenda… it couldn't possible be that there are parent out there who want there children to speak Irish, we are in ireland after all and the english schools have failed with that regard. I don't see any empty 'unnecessary' gaelscoileanna as you say unnecessary to whom? not the parents who want their children to speak Irish as well as english. The gaelscoileanna are not a sanctuary for rascists or snobs as you allude to. The myth that I have heard that comment many time from people who don't sent there children there. Gaelscoileanna welcome people of all races and backgrounds. If they didn't I wouldn't send my children to them, What do you think I am a bigot?
    I sent my children to a gael scoil until I encountered the racism you say doesn't exist. The insistnece that gael scoilenna be built and staffed comes at a time when the education budgets simply can't afford it. You have the scenario of two schools in small towns competing against each other for pupils and funding. The amount of arm twisting I see going on for pupils in my own small town is ridiculous.
    The Letter you refer to from Rory O'Neill, Aka Panti. I read the original and support his cause wholeheartedly, no section of society should be marginalized, bullied, made feel like they have lesser rights, yet here we are… I also read the one you refer to and at first laughed at the letter but then, the more I read the sadder I got because a lot of what's in there is true. It really can be tough being a gaeilgeoir. We are treated like foreigners in our own country.
    More of the victimhood. There is no comparison to sexual discrimination, it is ridiculous to say that. The language is there, enshrined by constitution- Irish language literature is cherished-it has it's own dedicated TV channel.
    Now you are demanding more and the quite rational response is why?
    I don't 'talk away as gaeilge to make me feel more Irish'. that's your hang-up. We always spoke Irish, we had rights,
    and you still have.
    and now you want me to justify my existence…
    No I don't, I want you to explain what exactly it is you want to be done, that doesn't cost anymore money. (given that your original complaints would require extraordinary financial inputs. Like all gardai being able to converse in Irish. You want anybody you encounter in an official capacity to be able to deal with you as gaelige...very expensive. Not to mention that you want all supplied books on the curriculum supplied on the double in English and Irish...again very expensive to a system already creaking. ) I want you to explain why the language is dying when there are more Irish schools than ever before. Might it be that it is dying of natural causes and not because of neglect?

Also explain to me why it is our responsibility, those of us who have no use for it or see no value in having it.

God give me strength!
    You are just a hater of irish. no answer I could give you would ever make you happy or even a little open minded or tolerant. you are asking again to justify,quantify and define our existence to a person who sees 'no use for it or any value in having it.' why the hell did you send your kids to a gaelscoil, why not give that spot to someone who actually gives a **** about the language. or are you the one they racially discriminated against and if so what gaelscoil was that. It is well documented how the educational system needs to change for the survival of the language. and you want me to go through the 20 yr plan drafted by the government with you… google it. the structure are already there, they only need to be implemented.
    The gardaí train in Templemore, irish is part of their training. they are issued with a booklet to help them with basic phrases.
    teacher training colleges need to address their own shortcomings in how they train teachers. who are supposed to have irish upon completion of their training. it's how it works in the Basque country and Wales.

Why are you so superior to us, a first class citizen, or first class bigot.
    I see no "value" in conversing with you anymore.

God give me strength!
    You are just a hater of irish. no answer I could give you would ever make you happy or even a little open minded or tolerant. you are asking again to justify,quantify and define our existence to a person who sees 'no use for it or any value in having it.' why the hell did you send your kids to a gaelscoil, why not give that spot to someone who actually gives a **** about the language. or are you the one they racially discriminated against and if so what gaelscoil was that. It is well documented how the educational system needs to change for the survival of the language. and you want me to go through the 20 yr plan drafted by the government with you… google it. the structure are already there, they only need to be implemented.
    The gardaí train in Templemore, irish is part of their training. they are issued with a booklet to help them with basic phrases.
    teacher training colleges need to address their own shortcomings in how they train teachers. who are supposed to have irish upon completion of their training. it's how it works in the Basque country and Wales.

Why are you so superior to us, a first class citizen, or first class bigot.
    I see no "value" in conversing with you anymore.

So no answers...just a rant about how it is everybody else's fault.

I speak Irish btw as do my children.

i don't believe you. mo náire thú.

• Advertisement

i don't believe you. mo náire thú.

Is cuma liom.

Advertisement