Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Just booked Doonbeg for their "annual tips scramble". Has anyone played that scramble before?

€55 per person (Friday, €65 Sat & Sun) with range balls, sambo and drink at the turn seems very good value. I'll park politics for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

PARlance wrote: »
    Just booked Doonbeg for their "annual tips scramble". Has anyone played that scramble before?

€55 per person (Friday, €65 Sat & Sun) with range balls, sambo and drink at the turn seems very good value. I'll park politics for the day.
    I don't care where you've parked it. You're dead to me. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

PARlance wrote: »

Do you have a link? I can't seem to find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

mike12 wrote: »
    Do you have a link? I can't seem to find it.

One of the lads sent a screenshot of a Facebook sponsored post. I couldn't see anything myself online so just rang straight away.

The weekend was almost full and I got the 3rd last spot on Friday. So give them a buzz first thing if interested. The 2 remaining Friday slots were between 8-9am iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Neewollah

So played the Old Head on Wednesday. What an unbelievable golfing experience. What a course it is. Not just spectacular views but superb golf holes that are well designed and the condition of the course is 2nd to none. Wouldn't say any of the inland holes weaken the place at all. Great mix of holes. Thought the par 5 were all very strong holes. We were lucky with the weather that helped. Hopefully the deal they were running will continue into next year. Would love to get out there again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,769 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Played Portmarnock old yesterday in a team event in lovely weather. Incredible conditioning. Wonderful course even if less exciting then the big west or north-west coast links courses that I've played. Greens to die for. An excellent challenge. Not a weak hole or part of the course.

So after all the talk and debate and open or not open or GUI rate or "Exclusive Irish Golf Club Members Rate". I bit the bullet and payed the €150 to play.

I always maintained I would pay a rate if reduced - but that to me is still on the high to very high side.

Again - my work and life, means I make these calls at fairly short notice and there is often an impromptu dimensions to it , an impulsive , look at weather and when things align. I go for it.

I've no issue playing alone and it suits considering how short a notice I decide to play and the odd days of week I play.

So was all very professional and not a bother attitude wise about the whole process.

I know I've admitted straight up, I have a chip on my shoulder about certain clubs not offering opens . But in fairness to me :D, I went with an open mind (and wallet).
    I'll be honest and if everyone can be honest for a second. We all know that Portmarnock don't really want this sort of stuff. We are where we are as they say. So it is about us all adjusting to our new world and reality.

I have absolute wonderful memories of The Irish Open at Portmarnock as a child (with my father). It is the place that turned golf into a big idea for me. The ones I particularly remember are 88/89/90.

They were days of seeing guys off the telly - doing things incredibly with a golf ball , rain and sun and sandwiches and Ice Cream and coke. Massive crowds and long walks. Nick Faldo, Jose Maria, Philp Walton, Mark Calcavecchia, Ian Woosnam , Seve. Autographs, the odd golf ball from a pro to make your day, your year, your young life. The odd grumpy bollix of a pro, you don't forget either.

It seemed a wonderful place to watch golf also - lots of room , but very hard to get there on that long narrow road. It seemed a great event for the area , that not only captured the imagination of the golf scene - it captured the imagination of the general public. At that time not many big international sporting events were held in Ireland. We have since held lots . But at that time a sport loving nation and city - was desperate for something at that level. And it really was a top top event on a top tour. Look at the list of winners and even runners up. Whilst it would be frowned upon now (drink and smokes sponsorship). You have to say, it was fairly visionary of Carroll's to build (over a very long time) the Irish Open to the event it ended up being.

Sorry for the completely irrelevant side story :D

Back to the course. I have played it before , but it is not the typical big Irish links with the big dramatic dunes and run offs. I'll admit , I'm totally sold on any course with that bigger dramatic feel - (Rosapenna, Enniscrone, Ballybunion). I then also love dramatic landscape. So a course in a more spectacular setting like RCD, Ballyliffin, Portsalon, Dooks. These always get a better review and make a far greater impact on me.

So - I'm not a person to judge a course on design etc. (I'm not a complete amateur/clueless) , but I know I have a weakness for big dunes.

I find courses of this nature have grown on me over the years, but unfortunately. Links course of the nature of Portmarnock, need far more playing. I mean 10/20/30 - 100 rounds of golf to fully enjoy them.

The run offs around the greens are fascinating and are what make the course. The condition of the surfaces are incredible. People often talk about solid links turf. But out there you are walking on as solid, as mature and as pure as they come. You feel completely wrong walking on them , never mind pushing a trolley near the green - and even more bizarre - very little, no go areas with the trolley. It is up to you , your respect for the course and common sense.

If the truth be known - there seems to be little or no traffic on any surface - and that brings the quality of the surfaces to a level, you are simply not familiar with.

I'm changing a good bit of my swing and am fairly crap at the moment - so the golf was very poor - (after a good start) got stuck in a bush a bunker a tree all on one hole for a 9 :mad: and this resulted in 8 over on the front (I got fairly wet too after a wrong weather prediction (serves me right)) I came home somewhat respectable in 5 over. So not a great place to be playing unless you are playing well. I will add - on a still day , it looks easier than the reputation - but , it is a place that with wind and more rough would be a nightmare.

I guess it was not just about the golf for me. It was about the past, part of my life, people passed , great days, exorcising a few demons.

There are so many great holes - a subtle nature to them , great bunkers and run offs - likes of 1, 3, 4 - then all the par 3s are brilliant and fun. Likes of 8 has a green that would take you years to understand. Then other great holes like 11 and the run from the famous par 3 - 15.

Would I pay €150 again --- -No
    Would I play it again at €100 --- yes (once a year)
    Could it be a course you could play every week --- definitely
    Would I join a club that wouldn't have me as member --- definitely not

I'll get the game in shape and head back if the price drops below 100. But the price is still just too expensive for me at present.

It is a complex place and course. But maybe the best things in life are complex and difficult to work out. I'm not sure I'm finished with her yet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

.... Links course of the nature of Portmarnock, need far more playing. I mean 10/20/30 - 100 rounds of golf to fully enjoy them.

The run offs around the greens are fascinating and are what make the course. The condition of the surfaces are incredible.

There you go, I think you've got "flat" links right on there, they have to be played multiple times, times when you need a nice 9 iron on that par 3 compared to last week when you needed a 3 wood and ended up short i.e. they are completely different courses depending on the wind on the day.
    Conditioning next, it's like carpet isn't it, and the joy when your ball is slightly off with your approach and results in a slow meander that turns into a rampant ejection as it disappears into some run off area you never knew existed.....links golf

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Played Baltray yesterday.

The greens and run off areas were an absolute joy to play on/around.

Course was playing fairly short off forward tees and the rough was as easy as you're gonna get on a links course. Hardly a breath of wind so it was playing very easy compared to normal i would imagine. Hence why i shot +7.

We had 87 points in the team event, not sure if thats good/bad/respectable or not.

Nevertheless it was a very enjoyable round on a lovely Autumnal day. For me it doesn't compare to the European/RCD/Royal Portrush but i'll play it again for 60 euro no problem at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Blue tee challenge?

Break 30 points you'll have played well. Course is in immaculate condition ATM. Greens are the best around.

Also, look up Kevin Markham on twitter. He's posted some unreal photos of Arklow over the past few days.

Fantastic Track and a true test of golf. Probably the best combined par 3's you will play anywhere.

Greens are difficult but fair. If it was a little closer to Dublin, would seriously consider joining for winter golf

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jarrieta

Fantastic Track and a true test of golf. Probably the best combined par 3's you will play anywhere.

Greens are difficult but fair. If it was a little closer to Dublin, would seriously consider joining for winter golf

Haven't played this year yet. I was looking yesterday for opens and unfortunately there is no winter league this year (at least yet).

Talking to members last year, they told me they have to play off the fairways or mats in winter.

Really looking forward to playing this year if I can

• Advertisement

There is an open fourball happening this Friday in The European, 75 quid per person. Anyone here interested in playing with me (with no options of winning btw)?

I can play early morning only, before 10am

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Blue tee challenge?

Break 30 points you'll have played well. Course is in immaculate condition ATM. Greens are the best around.

Also, look up Kevin Markham on twitter. He's posted some unreal photos of Arklow over the past few days.

Thanks Fred. Here are some of the shots taken. The one of the 8th is - IMO - the money shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Thanks Fred. Here are some of the shots taken. The one of the 8th is - IMO - the money shot!

Incredible photos Kevin.

jarrieta wrote: »
    Haven't played this year yet. I was looking yesterday for opens and unfortunately there is no winter league this year (at least yet).

Talking to members last year, they told me they have to play off the fairways or mats in winter.

Really looking forward to playing this year if I can

Winter series starting next month. First Friday of every month. Qualifying and playing off the fairways. We move to the side every winter to preserve the fairways except for the winter series.

Winter series starting next month. First Friday of every month. Qualifying and playing off the fairways. We move to the side every winter to preserve the fairways except for the winter series.

Thanks, I was looking yesterday at the fixtures and there was nothing yet there, happy to know that it is coming again this year. Looking forward to participating this year again

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Blue tee challenge?

Finished with 32 so got 2nd I think.

Finished with 32 so got 2nd I think.

Saw your result/card. Proper golfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

I have portmarknock booked for next week. Is anyone else here booked in? Think it will go ahead?

3 of us are travelling from the north so might apply for a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭IAmTitleist

I was due to play in the first one on 29th September.

Got a phone call about a week prior saying they "wouldn't be able to welcome us".

Whether it was because we were travelling from Northern Ireland or whether the whole thing was cancelled i'm not too sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

They just emailed me asking if we were all dublin residents.

I've asked for a fourball voucher for use when restrictions are lifted again.

• Advertisement

It went ahead last week I believe for those resident in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I was due to play in the first one on 29th September.

Got a phone call about a week prior saying they "wouldn't be able to welcome us".

Whether it was because we were travelling from Northern Ireland or whether the whole thing was cancelled i'm not too sure.
    Exactly wrote: »
    It went ahead last week I believe for those resident in Dublin.

it did indeed and what a fine day we got for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Due to play on october 19th. One of us from Maynooth and an other from Ballybunion so not optimistic. Will be taking a refund if theyre prohibited from playing, only interested in playing if theres a comp as part of the 100e.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Royal Portrush today. 30mph winds.

I loved the Island. Respected RCD and the European.

But Kevin Markham has asked the double question about what’s the best course you’ve played, and what course you would play every day if only allowed one.

The answer to both is Portrush. A perfect golf course.

(And I made a mess of Calmity)

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

Is the south not letting people in from other counties? I had planned to head down to Seapoint and Baltray this weekend from County Armagh but I take it that’s not happening now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

you wouldn't be the first lad to sneak across that boundary in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

thewobbler wrote: »
    Royal Portrush today. 30mph winds.

I loved the Island. Respected RCD and the European.

But Kevin Markham has asked the double question about what’s the best course you’ve played, and what course you would play every day if only allowed one.

The answer to both is Portrush. A perfect golf course.

(And I made a mess of Calmity)

Best course I have ever played and I have been lucky to play lots of top courses. Its just pure class, that requires almost every shot you have and every club too

J

What’s the cheapest way of playing Portrush?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Part of the great nort links challenge if youbdobyour own accommodation think the golf is 300 for 3 super courses

https://www.thegolfpa.com/ireland-amateur-tournaments-great-north-links-challenge

• Advertisement

mike12 wrote: »
    Part of the great nort links challenge if youbdobyour own accommodation think the golf is 300 for 3 super courses

https://www.thegolfpa.com/ireland-amateur-tournaments-great-north-links-challenge

I’m a teacher so unfortunately I can’t get off work for this.

Advertisement