Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

portmarknock is off?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Got a call saying they "wouldnt be able to welcome me" on the 29th September due to the restrictions and offering to move me to one of the October dates (which i refused).

Whether or not they worked out i'm not from Co Dublin i've no idea.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Off to Enniscrone in the wee hours, play the 18 in the morning and then the 9 twice in the afternoon, no rain please

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

stretchaq wrote: »
    Agree on this completely have played twice this year, 2nd time we were to tee off at 10.00 pat ruddy kept us talking for 10 minutes up to 10.10, then said don’t worry about the time lads I will keep the next group talking for 10 minutes too, pure gentleman and it feels like your just playing his back garden

It's an absolute fiend of a course though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

slave1 wrote: »
    Off to Enniscrone in the wee hours, play the 18 in the morning and then the 9 twice in the afternoon, no rain please

Out at 10:30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Played Tralee this morning. Conditions were near perfect for this time of year. Stunning course. Got play Ballybunion, Dooks, Dingle and Tralee over last few months. Love the links golf.

Waterville be first in my list for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

It's an absolute fiend of a course though.

Couldn’t agree really its lovely, hit 83 strokes and 87 strokes too days in a row and play off 16 so was happy enough

So teed off at 8.50 yesterday morning, rain from nowhere and cold as fuk so Michelin Man for first 3 holes, couldn’t swing at all so jacket off when rain moved off and down to two layers. Turned into a cracker of a day, deffo tee shirt and shorts. I was crappy around the greens and putting, not helped by opening holes recently forked and over seeded, 13 points on front 9, takes me longer to warm up these days, two outrageously bad 3 putts on two of the par 5s on the back 9 and 20 points so I suppose a decent 33 points off the whites.
    Grub and then the 9 hole course twice, extremely forgiving but super greens, better than the main course and the best greens I’ve played on this (limited golf) year, not happy with the way I threw shots away and came in with 36 points.
    €80 for the day in green fees.
    I’ll post some pics later.....

EiqcAh9WoAE6gWO?format=jpg&name=large

EiqcAwgWsAg6Ko-?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

EiqcBGxXkAUQKmZ?format=jpg&name=large

EiqcBb1XgAIl0Vr?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Very jealous, would love to get back there. Didn't realise there was a second 9. How does it compare to the 18?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

It looks in fine condition in the photos!!

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Looks amazing, I should be heading there next week but restrictions have stopped that. Have to settle for The Island instead

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

that's such a sucker pin on 14th

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    Very jealous, would love to get back there. Didn't realise there was a second 9. How does it compare to the 18?

Oh, it’s a plain flat open style links for 7 of the 9 holes, well worth it though, good fun at €25 for a 18 hole round (you play the 9 twice with different tee boxes second time around). Absolutely super greens.

stretchaq wrote: »
    Couldn’t agree really its lovely, hit 83 strokes and 87 strokes too days in a row and play off 16 so was happy enough

Don't get me wrong, I love the place. I just think it's a very difficult test for the low handicapper playing off the back tees. My home club is a links, and I play off 4. I arrive down to the European and it throws that all up in the air. Very pure test of ability.

Humbling. :o

There goes my Murvagh/Bundoran plan for next week. Get your golf in while we still can is the way I’m looking at it now.
    Any suggestions for two links rounds in the one day (not Donegal/Dublin obviously)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

There goes my Murvagh/Bundoran plan for next week. Get your golf in while we still can is the way I’m looking at it now.
    Any suggestions for two links rounds in the one day (not Donegal/Dublin obviously)?

Don't know where you are based but you could go with:

Laytown & Bettystown and Baltray
    Laytown & Bettystown and Seapoint
    Baltray and Seapoint
    Strandhill and Rosses Point

or my personal favourite, Corballis twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

ThunderCat wrote: »
    Don't know where you are based but you could go with:

Laytown & Bettystown and Baltray
    Laytown & Bettystown and Seapoint
    Baltray and Seapoint
    Strandhill and Rosses Point

or my personal favourite, Corballis twice.

Edit - Corballis is in Dublin or course so not there. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Was due to play Rosapenna both courses and Ballyliffin Glashedy there a couple of weeks ago.

Trip had to be cancelled because a few boys had to self isolate.

Trip rearranged for two weeks time this time just playing both courses at Ballyliffin.

God doesn't want us to play. :(

Hmmmm, thinking Lahinch Castle and Spanish Point, very much unusual combo, drove by Spanish Point today and it looks good

• Advertisement

Was due to play Rosapenna both courses and Ballyliffin Glashedy there a couple of weeks ago.

Trip had to be cancelled because a few boys had to self isolate.

Trip rearranged for two weeks time this time just playing both courses at Ballyliffin.

God doesn't want us to play. :(

If you can, play the old course at Ballyliffen, they are equally good, the old course has less smoothed out fairways is about the only difference

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Hmmmm, thinking Lahinch Castle and Spanish Point, very much unusual combo, drove by Spanish Point today and it looks good

Did you get a deal for Lahinch?

They don’t do deals, I’ve played both courses before so just gonna look at straight GUI green fee at their Castle course

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

Do any links courses north end of the country do a winter membership? Is there such a thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Anatom

Was in Kerry for a few days last week, and on the way down I called into Dooks to enquire about tee times / rates etc. They were looking for €90 ("Special GUI rate"), which was far too rich for me. On to Waterville later that afternoon to be told €140 was the best they would do (ditto). I ended up playing the Irish Open (Killeen) course in Killarney the next day for €60. Its not a links, I know, but it was brilliant. I was just a few weeks too early to get the winter rates in the other two...

Anatom wrote: »
    Was in Kerry for a few days last week, and on the way down I called into Dooks to enquire about tee times / rates etc. They were looking for €90 ("Special GUI rate"), which was far too rich for me. On to Waterville later that afternoon to be told €140 was the best they would do (ditto). I ended up playing the Irish Open (Killeen) course in Killarney the next day for €60. Its not a links, I know, but it was brilliant. I was just a few weeks too early to get the winter rates in the other two...

Dooks is a class golf course. Everyone should try and play it at least once.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Neewollah

Heading to the Old Head middle of this week for the 1st time. Looking forward to it for the last while. Any useful tips for the place to get the most out of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭redarmy

Neewollah wrote: »
    Heading to the Old Head middle of this week for the 1st time. Looking forward to it for the last while. Any useful tips for the place to get the most out of it?

Same next mon 130 gui rate, time sheet booked up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

Neewollah wrote: »

Range is outstanding make sure you hit balls
    If you have the discretionary funds the Proshop is as good as it gets in terms of saucy gear (but don't expect bargains)
    Don't be kicking the **** out of yourself if you're not playing well, just enjoy it for what it is. The marks against it as a golf course aren't without merit but as a nature spectacle it would make an atheist believe in god. Spent half the round staring into the distance shaking my head.
    The inland holes aren't as bad as people make out, they wouldn't be bad holes on The Heritage or some similar upper mid tier parkland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭rooney30

Anatom wrote: »

For a measly extra 30 quid you could have had an unforgettable experience at Dooks . Each to their own I suppose .

Advertisement