Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options
19899100101102104»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

if they have the money then more power to them, that's the society we live in. In a sellers market they set the price. In places where there is a fight to get foot traffic then you will get more favourable customer conditions

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The US attitude is if the course is not expensive then there's something wrong with it and they will avoid, the US visitors are the drum beat for the highest green fees in Ireland in a trend that started some 20yrs back

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

thats the case for some but not all.

Truth is that most of them are too lazy to plan properly, they go to an agency that tell them the price of the places they heard about and they accept thats the price and then pay up. Its the same folk who end up in temple bar, they are just box tickers.

For alot of them its their first go over here and might be their only trip so 100% would not begrudge them ticking off the top tier courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭GolfPar

Open Singles Stableford on St Patrick's day in Rosses Point €75 for Visitors. Also an Open Strokes competition on the 7th April.

Both timesheets are open now with plenty of spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 77iron

strandhill also doing an open for 50 every Friday - played recently and in great nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Back to The Island. Hopefully not the last

Well to start off, this thread is 10 years old – I should have posted at the time , but what a 10 years of golf, but in particular, a great Links golf journey.

It is rather fitting that I’m posting about The Island – a place that was a key starting moment in my Links golfing journey and it kind of all started here on boards. I was going to look back at that post – but was thinking, better off not – let it flow as is now, posting, considering all the changes in golf , in Ireland , in myself .

Growing up in North Dublin in a tough enough area– there was loads of Links golf almost touchable – but if your Dad didn’t drive or wasn’t a member of a golf club, it was all rather inaccessible and lofty thinking . There was golf in fields and public parks and then pitch and putt and par 3 – there were the bad lads aiming golf balls at busses and houses and the general mayhem of a working class background. Stolen cars , things set on fire and industrial decay and odour. A golf club was a weapon – but could be protection too.

Eventually you got to play in Deer Park or another favourite Silloge – public places – but they were great and very often in fabulous condition, public golf, what an absolute triumph of a society that was struggling economically in the dark 80s. These public facilities were not always amazing layouts. But you knew no difference, it was full golf, you were playing golf on an actual golf course and it was heaven – my father would often say in Deer Park – “this is heaven”. The views of Dublin Bay – as far as you could see – his full life and past, of the inner city he could view and regale . An escape, closer to something different, other worldly, metaphysical, It was almost a religious experience for him. Like father, like son.

So eventually, I bumped into a like minded kid my age – about 12/13 – he just loved golf and was definitely the best golfer I had ever seen – I was like a completely self taught John Daly with a terrible swing, he was genuinely like Faldo – and I never seen anyone hit a driver like him – his skill and ability to hit the middle of the clubface was an amazing thing to see and feel. He got a new driver, a “persimmon” and it was the most stunning thing I had ever held close. How he could make contact with it – was an astonishment to me , and at that age friendship can be deep – but also fraught with jealousy and rivalry.

His father had a good job ( a job) and had one of them converted Nissan Vannetes – it opened up a world of golf for him, I could only dream of his trips– they would go out to a place called Corballis and even once The Island – in hindsight I’ve as sense they were jumping on Corballis after the clubhouse closed – a thing that was not unusual at that time. Maybe still.

It is kind of hilarious now – but to think that your dream at the time was to get in a van and be able to play Corballis , there was a rite of passage, a next goal, a hope, a dream and an excitement of the next place. What a time. But often disappointment too, as they drove off.

So to avoid this becoming all Angela’s Ashes – I’ll jump on 30 odd years and think back to my first time on The Island – the build up had been big and long , and when I eventually played it , it was due to help on here, Kevin here helped. But you could also get decent winter rates, even 10 years ago.

Maybe the build up to playing it added to the joy , but I loved every inch of it. After a Links baptism in Corballis – I knew Links was for me – the solid sand ground, the blind shots , the sea , the wind, the mystery of the bumps and hollows , the changing direction and pure chaos of it all . I love chaos and unpredictability.

Enniscrone had a similar impact – but The Island immediately jumped to near the top of any course I had played – but lets be honest, I didn’t exactly have a great selection in my back catalogue.

It was just the location , the opening hole, the peace , the variety of holes , the fear of the course , the eccentric holes like – 2 and old 4 and 5 and 6 and then the amazing holes in the Malahide corner . Just nothing like it. Also for a northsider to see Malahide from that side is even a massive joy – many a day eating sand in your sandwiches – the fearsome tidal Malahide estuary – the memories of childhood and “crisps and coke” and melted chocolate. Memories of your “Ma and Da” and every big family has a great crazy brother – the chance of your first kiss from a “posh” bird. The bus or train, the chips ,the icecream – the great sleeps after – the dreams.

So that was a rather odd segway – but this week I got invited back. Between covid and life and other Links journeys. I had not been out to The Island in a good 5 years. The price and general accessibility have been an issue too. I’ve posted here that I don’t mind paying a decent winter rate – but the times they are a changing out there.

But – to stick to golf . I was first off surprised to see they were still on mats – this is never a thing most Links golfers like – but you do see the ones that have them, often have the best conditions in the regular golf season. And of course you got to have the course in great conditions for the members – but also, for The Americans.

The course has had a few changes. This was something I was looking forward to seeing – changes on Links course are always fraught with danger – often controversial and a difficult time. But the more I have been around the Links scene – the changes are most frequently done with great care – people who know way more about Links golf than I could dream of. You also have to accept that change is part of any courses’ life journey , there is hardly a course in the world that is not changed. There are considerations that drive change, like championship golf , length , modern equipment and flow of play – safety – logistics – pace of play. In a world obsessed with now – these changes are rather refreshingly, often considering much longer term plans.

Back to the first – there is nothing like that feeling when you are about to hit it off the first tee on a proper Links course – the occasion – the tension – the often visual impact and intimidation. I also know more now – that they are all bloody hard too. If you break 85 on any of these places – it is a very good round of golf. You can often be 5 over after 3 – the intimidation, the pace of the surfaces , the run offs , the bunkers – the lost balls , it is not a place you can spray the ball all day.

The first 2 holes are pure class – the 3rd is the first change . In my opinion they have turned a great par 4 into a poor par 5 – but they have their layout reasons. The new 4th is a fab short part 3 with dangerous run offs – all great links have this exact hole in different guises – a bird putt or a sure bogey +. Next changes are a new 8 and 9 – and , and whilst I understand the changes – I’m not sure they have added massively to what was there. But I sense these changes have improved car park layout and road layout.

The run from 10 to basically 18 – is an extraordinary run of golf holes , such a variety of holes – that you could use every club in the bag – it is also fairly exposed and I’d imagine so different a course with every changing wind. Such a fun , dramatic , edge of seat run – and to help, I had 18 pts on the back 9 (a memorable run of golf).

On the day I had 3 birds and 35 pts – maybe the best I ever played there. I’m not sure why – but I’m probably less intimidated now – have been around the block and if you play golf in Donegal a bit. The Island on a still day, is a relative, walk in the park. No burnt out cars or horses to avoid. As a funny pro said to me recently – it is just golf – what is there to fear ?

What a golf course – in a different sequence of event , I probably should have joined. I know Dublin has great Links golf – but I’m more a man of the deep dunes – crazy holes – variety – blind shots – edge of seat golf. The location is also a complete escape in a world in a mess.

But after I left The Island – I reflected on a few things – golf is in a dangerous place at the moment. The current business models for the big courses is a real concern. They are looking after the courses for the members and rich tourists. I completely understand the model and their logic– but ultimately it is based on the American concept . Higher walls (metaphorically) , no public access , no access for almost anyone in reality.

I get it all – but no matter how high the walls were in your head in Ireland – there was always a way. You were in the same “Golf Union” – there was an open – there was a ½ decent winter rate. Yes, there were the posh clubs – there were wealthy clubs in Ireland. But , you were only a few people away from getting to play a top course.

I know I could join The Island if I wanted to now – but you know what , I’m not sure I would like to be in any top club now. You can hardly play them year round , they are being preserved for tourists and summer golf. They are almost becoming wall paintings. Not a club as you know it – not a place you can just be yourself. €350 euro for a round of golf – I’m not sure I want to be part of that at all. I just don’t like the American model – and I’m not sure why Irish golf is modelling itself on a deeply divided and unpleasant segregated model. What next – a lad on min wage takes your clubs off you – parks your car – calls you sir for a tip , it just is not Ireland to me.

Irish golf should be reflective of Ireland – it is why they are here anyway. The people , the authenticity, a relatively flat society – with genuine opportunity – access and social mobility. We should be proud of our golfing model and union – it has served us well.

Whilst I can’t see anyone really listening to me – I would plead with anyone of any influence to at the very least call this out – have some degree (if even small) of local access for “union” golfers. These are the people who built the game in this country.

Anyway – enough of all that. As I drove back across the Malahide estuary – I felt I had come to a sort of crossroads again – near an end of something. It has been a real blast the last 10 years. Thanks to all the people on here – and genuinely brilliant people in Irish golf that gave me a help along the way.

Fix

Post edited by FixdePitchmark on

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭thewobbler

nice review Fixd.

whilst I do find your “union rates for union members” plea a touch incessant, reading this the other day made me think of you:

tps://m.independent.ie/sport/golf/co-sligo-members-resoundingly-approve-major-overhaul-of-rosses-point-links/a513256943.html

I played Co Sligo last May. It’s just wonderful, absolutely wonderful. It needs a refit like I need a 13th pint on a night out.

But this is the situation they’ve created for themselves. They’re a members club that generates so much cash that they just have to spend it, whether there’s a point to spending or not.

And unlike the East Coast links, there’s no reason for WHS members to complain about how Rosses Point facilitates Irish people. It was €60 for the round, with a warm and terrific welcome.

Really, it’s got me thinking. What is the endgame for Portmarnock, Baltray, The Island, Royal Dublin? These are not profit sharing enterprises. Any money made either just sits there or is reinvested in their club. None of them need new clubhouses. None of them will be buying more land; that’s just the physical reality of their locations. Tarmaccing and fencing, if done right, is a once a generation expenditure. And by virtue of a brilliant plot of land, initial architectural genius, and a hundred years plus of vocational-style guardianship from green keepers and superintendents, they’re always going to be amongst the best courses on the planet. Spending millions one decade “adapting to the demands of the modern golfer” then millions the following decade “returning the course to the original architectural vision” is absolute folly. But it’s the byproduct of a club collecting cash it simply does not need.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 77iron

Have played it (co Sligo) a few times in recent years and never thought it needed any major improvement

Protection from the encroachment of the sea - yes- which is part of the upgrades

A thing mentioned - and I guess you can not fault. Bunkers often need to be rebuilt / maintained - so you can't complain about that - or using the opportunity to put them into a shape that suits the course.

But changing greens because they are not in keeping with the design - seems a tad ridiculous. What on earth is wrong with a green much much bigger - adds character. Look at St Andrews - would someone come along and say - you know what this should be 2 greens - lets change this.

The thing i fear about changes to Links course is - it is often the odd and quirky holes that get a focus. The odd and quirky are what I actually like. So you change holes that have character or are points of conversation.

The thing I adore about Links golf is the imperfection - changes are often molded to perfection and new - but to me that can sometimes miss the point - they look new - they look designed and there is a symmetry to them - that rarely the case of a true original / old design.

just back from a 4 day, 5 course trip in Donegal where the wind was gusting 60-70kmph at times

Itinerary

Day 1: Portsalon - score 84
    Day 2: Cruit Island - score 34 (even par) & Rosapenna Old Tom (78)
    Day 3: Rosapenna St Patricks (81)
    Day 4: Rosapenna Sandy Hills (85)

Portsalon: Long drive up from Dublin, my playing partner pulled out last minute due to a dodgy back so I was on my own. Weather was mixture of wind and passing showers with the wind picking up dramatically just before the rain. Portsalon for those who don't know is an out and back style course that hugs a beautiful beach. The course is famous for its second hole which is just fantastic but it also has for me some of the most interesting tee boxes I have encountered, they also have st andrews style double greens. It is a proper test of golf. You need to be accurate, there is not much room to spray the ball. I had the feeling of wanting to play the course again as soon as I finished it as it had that puzzle feel to it. Weather was a big factor, when the wind was high it was tough and the rain made things a bit miserable towards the end.

Cruit Island: What a fun 9 holes. Decided last minute to drive over there and play it with old tom booked for the afternoon. Its a bit of a mad drive to get there, tiny little laneway for 3 or 4 miles. Its a very generous course in that there was hardly much rough in play, if you strike the ball well and play your number then you will do well. I went around in even par which I was happy with, especially a nice 10ft par save to maintain the card at the last hole. There are blind shots which is to be expected, I love them as they give you a reveal you don't get otherwise. None better than the 3rd hole which looks like a drive into oblivion but it reveals itself over the hill to a green perched on the edge of humanity. Was hitting the ball lovely, low hooky draws with the wind that were chasing up just as I wanted them to. Couldn't buy a putt all week but didn't care. Felt like a little bit of heaven on a thursday morning

Old Tom: I was mostly looking forward to St Patricks to be honest given all the hype about it. I didn't do alot of research on the other two courses. Old Tom might be my favourite of the three, certainly in the top 2 anyways. Thankfully my brother arrived for this round so I wasn't on my own. My form continued from the morning, cracked a great drive down the middle into the wind. 11 holes playing into the teeth of a fierce wind made it tough going, especially the start of the back 9 where I gave up 4 shots in 3 holes. Parred the first 5 holes, comfortable golf. Lag putts and chips were getting up to the pin. Really enjoyed the course, felt it was fair and even in the conditions it allowed you to play once you got into position. Most unlike Sandy hills. Wind was fierce, how fierce? Well I hit a decent drive but I am not a long hitter, I did however drive the 15th green with a 371 yard drive. Lipped out an eagle. left another eagle putt an inch short on the next hole. There is a big contrast between the two 9s, it is pronounced. I think I preferred the old style links of the front over the 9, two doubles on the back 9 fleshed out the card from what would have been a really good round for me.

St Patricks: Wow, really really loved St Patricks. Its a really fun course. We were joined by another friend for this one. So up to a 3 ball, the two lads are high 20s if not 30s in their handicaps. So can be a struggle sometimes to maintain rythym but we had no one infront or anyone behind us. First hole is a nice handshake hole. Easy drive and nice big green to aim at. Handy enough par. From there it is just a really lovely walk through the dunes. Feels alot different from the other courses. The fairways are big and the greens are massive also with huge movements in them. I had one 4 putt which I thought was very unfair, a putt came back to my feet from being a couple of inches short of the hole. Wind was crazy though so you had to account for that. I read here before from someone that didn't like the greens that two putts were impossible. I don't agree with that, its possible that some greens a two putt would be very impressive but if you arein that position you have hit a poor approach shot IMO. Its a new way to think about golf for me at least and I loved it. Highlight for me was the 14th, not because of the view which is other worldly but I hit the best drive off my life to about 50 yards short of the green with a perfect line into the flag. Looked so good off the club to see it sail right into the perfect position even if it was a bit right of where I was aiming :)

Sandy Hills: This is when things got tough, really really tough. Conditions were dry but the wind was fierce and constant. Not one bit of let up. We hired carts for the day which I don't like playing with, disrupts the natural rythym of golf for me. Felt I got to the ball too quickly, didn't have enough time to take in the hole. Maybe I spend the walk subconciously planning the next shot and the buggy doesn't allow this. Sandy hills is a tough tough course, by far the toughest of the trip. I drove the ball extremely well, hit it long and in the fairway (11/14 fairways) - 3 GIR tells its own story. The greens are perched and for the most part are quite small. Cross winds made it an impossible feat sometimes to hold the green. This course beat me up, I got tired towards the end and lost a few balls from tired shots. interestingly they had the scratch cup on last weekend, same day we were on Sandy hills. SC was played across SH and OTM. Had a look at their scores and I would have competed nicely toward the business end of proceedings with my scores. I missed the cut for the comp by .4 but given the day that was in it physically it would have been extremely tough.

Overall Rosapenna is a treat, its a classy golf resort in a very friendly town. We had an airbnb 20 mins walk from the golf course and the village. Harbour bar was our bar of choice - lovely pint of guinness and a lovely pub full stop.

• Advertisement

Nice write up - that is fantastic scoring in them conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Going up there end of next month for 3 nights and 3 rounds. Really looking forward to it.

Fingers crossed we don't get as much wind on the days. all of us are members of Arklow so used to playing in windy conditions but you don't want that to take away from the overall experience.

We are staying not too far from the course but the opposite side to the town.

Thanks for the review.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

@willabur Great review. Been to Portsalon and Rosapenna many times and will be there again very shortly. No where like Donegal. It's #1 for golf for me.

@Lefty2Guns You'll love it regardless of the weather. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

an excellent review and some great golf to break 80 in those conditions. Congrats on the level par around cruit island, I hear that's the best 9hole in the country!

Thank you, yeah I was playing some good stuff at the weekends. Nice relaxing golf

cruit is just so much fun, reminded me of playing the kilmore9 in carne in some ways. Laugh out loud moments when you see how spectacular the piece of land is. Some sheep droppings in place but the greens ran tru

Great courses, we just got to keep quiet to keep the Yanks away as green fees will explode

Rosapenna, 220Euro for 3 rounds of golf. Great value, considering what you might pay at some of the more famous courses.

Yes the North West is the last sensible place left in Ireland - the rest has been handed to America.

But sadly - the word is out and the Cavalry is coming.

Amazing what has happened in the last 10 years - between You Tubers and influential golf writers and the golf boom. Summer links golf for normal Irish people is very close to out of reach.

Arklow Again.

So hit Arklow today – a place I haven’t been in 18 months. I’ll be honest – I’ve been let down a few times there , be it the course condition , partial course closure , work on greens. So was hoping for a new start this time. But – as luck would have it, the greens had been sanded and pole forked last week. I always take that on the chin – and as golfer this year , we need to give all courses a break on maintenance issues / condition – has been perhaps the worst period for golf course maintenance, weather wise, in all my time at this game.

But besides that – I can definitely see that the course is on the up – be it growth , color , condition on walkways , drainage – fair play to them all there, taking on the issues , and I’d say it will be a great summer there this year.

We had a mobile in Arklow once – so It has a small place in my heart. Also, it is the home town of one of my best friends – so always had a link to the place. I love the Wicklow people – a sort of openness and honesty to them, friendly and why wouldn’t you be ? when your in one of the most stunning counties in Ireland.

I’m currently reading up on Scottish Links course – as I feel a new challenge on the way. But a Links as part of the town, is the very essence of what Links golf was in the past – accessible from the town or at times even in the town.

I always liked the course – I know big long championship course are cool for day trips – but a course you could play every day, have a pint, be in the town and part of the community – is my sort of dream set up. The bridge club was in full flow as I arrived – and a great golf club is not always just about golf.

The only thing it lacks is a true sea view on the course – but you are still by the sea. Arklow is a mix of a harbour and quarry and industrial past. It is an unusual setting – but I like unusual. Thankfully no explosions from the quarry or from my golf this time.

The course is a great mix of holes and style and not always feeling like a Links – but it uses a very small plot of land in a very clever way. The par 3s are highlights – such a mix of hole styles and clubs required. It is a course that rewards accuracy over power – but I’d say on a tough day, with stronger wind, the course would rip your card apart.

I don’t want to be a broken record for ever, about the price of golf – but I played in an open there and it is always great value and a great welcome from everyone.

I actually haven’t played in too many opens over the last few years – it was nice to be back on the open road, and playing with 3 completely random people ( I almost said 4) . The mystery of who it will be , people from all walks of life who use golf for recreation, escape , fun , retirement , a test , a discovery. You get a tiny bit out of them and something about their life – and then it is goodbye for most likely life.

In the last 6 months I put a good bit of work into my game – and I’m beginning to see small shoots – and got into the mid 70s – (is a par 70 course). It was a small jump back to my past in a few ways. Things are looking up for Arklow again – and maybe for myself too.

You walk off a links on a day like that – and a small piece of you wakes up and is alive that you didn’t know was there.

What a game – what a country for golf – what great golf clubs and people . ------- but Scotland next I think.

Post edited by FixdePitchmark on

better again - 210 for the three. They charge 80 euros for a single round

• Advertisement

We should remove all records of Donegal on the forum and if anyone ever asks anywhere - say , not ever heard of it. It might be in Scandinavia or something. "Roseeepenne" could sound French or Italian.

As Gaeilge 😑

I've been a member there now 4/5 years. I remember visiting as part of society groups and the tee boxs used to wreck my head, half where domed shape. All changed now, the management are doing a great job on the course and running the club. It's great value for money.

I try play at least once a week and each time you never know what your going to get in terms of weather conditions. As you mentioned, it's not a long track but you have to be accurate.

Regarding the greens, they just got sanded last Monday so will take a few weeks to settle, but once they do they will be in great shape.

Glad you enjoyed your day out.

Advertisement