Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Shank Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭CorkBoyInDub

Does anyone know if Donegal Golf Club have Open Days? Heading up to that part of the world at the end of March with herself and staying near enough to there. Will definitely get out for a round, but would prefer to do it in a group instead of solo so open days are probably my best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

I remember reading that they were only allowed to build st Patrick's because there was an old unfinished existing course there. Because of an EU directive you're no longer allowed to build a new links course. So I was wondering how they were getting around this to build a new links.

From reading the article it turns out they're getting around it by not actually building a links but just calling it one. I'm fairness, the European fits into that bracket, so if they can't achieve that I don't think anyone will mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,124 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

They're normally good at having opens, thought was a weekly thing. No info on site so would give them a call about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

really enjoyable track, got it on a windless day in june. My wife walked the course with me so wasn't fully alone. Course was quiet also so didn't have any hold up. Its a beautiful spot with a really interesting routing, one of the 9s is nested inside the other 9

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭bailey99

Played it last June for first time. Glorious weather. I was up that direction for work, paid €50 Golf Ireland rate. Fell in with a member after a few holes.

I'm a life member of Carne abd I thought Murvagh was superb. Looking forward to returning this year again.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Shank Williams

Usually a weekly Wednesday open through the summer not sure when they start from - great course

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Lewie1989

Played the Jameson links earlier , thought was a v good course and played well 🙌 was trying to weigh it up against laystown bettystown (where I did not play well) . Think Jameson is much more fair and not many, if any blind shots , whereas bettystown I had no idea where I was going at times but cud be down to terrible golf I was playing ! Anyhow a fantastic day, weather was good not much wind , cud imagine it being a much tougher course when it’s howling !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Lewie1989

Shud add that 17th in its current state is basically a pitch and putt , 18 was pretty straightforward from the presumably winter tees , but nice change to finish a round with a couple of holes to save the card !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Original 17th was a beast of a par 3. Will be interesting to see the new hole in its final format.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭fungie

Where's the Jamison links?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Portmarnock Links ..renamed..

I always found the last 4 there a brilliant finish..if you had a decent score going , they were terrifying.

But changes to the rest of the course are great and you have to trust the process, particularly when you see how other changes have worked..

I get fairly connected to golf holes on Links ..good and bad ...so when they change , a little part of me thinks of all the great days and times I had on a hole. Sometimes hole you love are part of the changes...and I do actually love 17 on the old course..

But , I guess if you play long enough , you see that change is part of the natural cycle of a golf course...

We have had a long period in Irish golf with little or no changes ....but between actual new golf courses and course investment...we are definitely in a new period.

The only issue I have ( and probably say it too much ) ..All this investment in courses .are not really targeted at traditional Irish golfers ...it is a completely new market / golfer...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Agree Fix, I loved the old 8th there too, was a real feature hole. But the framing of the new 8th looks lovely and will be super when it beds in.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Sorbet

Never played a links course since I only properly took up golf last year. Looking forward to trying it with the Boards society this year. Delighted it’s on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭rooney30

you may think 300 euro for south west courses is exorbitant , but it the context of the international golf market it is actually reasonable . These courses would have similar rankings to places like Peeble beach and TPC sawgrass for example , whose green fees are approx 600 and 900 dollars respectively . UK courses on the open rota ain’t charging anything less than 300 euro . These places have a world class products , why sell yourself short ??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

There's not a course in the world worth 900 quid for a round in my opinion.

Even 300 is still a stretch. I'd maybe pay it once or twice in a lifetime but it wouldn't be for any course in this country.

There's no shortage of people willing to pay those prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

Is part of that as they are on your doorstep here so to speak?

If you went on a golf holiday, would you part with 300 to play a Pebble, or St Andrews for example?

Visitors paying these prices are on golf trips, maybe a once in a lifetime visit to Ireland. I know I push the boat out on the two times I've gone playing abroad.

I don't have any issue courses charging what they want BUT do think if their members are GUI then they should have a few open days a year at around the 50 to 70 euro mark.

The courses that don't do open days are the ones I have an issue with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Maybe that's part of it.

I'd pay 300 for pebble alright but I wouldn't pay the 900 they're asking. I wouldn't pay 300 for St. Andrews. They can charge that because of the history etc. But, taking St. Andrews just as a golf course, it's worth nowhere near that. I'd rather spend it on another course. I just don't think there's any course worth the extremely high prices for just one round.

But yeah if I went on a holiday to the likes of Pinehurst or something like that then I'd be more inclined to spend a bit as it's a once in a lifetime thing.

I just think the big courses here should offer a decent GUI rate for locals and have some reasonably priced opens throughout the year. They'll still make their big bucks from the tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭thewobbler

It’s just supply and demand in action.

unfortunately our demand is being driven by a richer economy to the west.

but golf is still an accessible sport in Ireland. The entry bar for young Spanish and Portuguese people is much higher, and for the same underlying reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

why would they though? it would be no benefit to them! They would probably lose money...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 limetreeone

There is a "Yankee Dollar" elitist mentality with certain Irish golf clubs. They don't want Irish visitors, hence no Golf Ireland rate or any open competitions (even during the Shoulder season), they have doubled down on their pursuit of the Yankee Dollar by forcing members to play off fairway mats for months and months during the winter, hence help preserve the fairways until the Yanks arrive.

Unfortunately in Ireland, there isn't a high enough volume of links courses when compared to Scotland. Links golf is elitist in Ireland. Perhaps the only avenue that is accessible and affordable is Corballis Links in Donabate, however this course has suffered with over play and was in very scruffy condition when in played it last summer.

I predict that some of these links courses will be bought out by American investor groups, as a token gesture they will allow the 'club' limited access to the course but they will own the course itself, the premiumization of golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭rooney30

Elitist?? Would you give me a break . Members that make up the majority of links courses are no different to members of any other Irish golf courses , your usual collection of folk from all walks of life

Whilst I probably agree with you here.

I would say the Links in the Dublin area - are a sort of outlier. They definitely are considered / wealthy / "upper class" - whatever that mean in a modern Ireland. You wouldn't get into Portmarnock being from all walks of life ?

Say I wanted to join Portmarnock this year - how would I do it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

Win the Lotto 😂

even if i have the money...

Point is...if you won lotto ..it wouldn't be enough...

You could pay a lot of money to a member for them to pretend you're their long lost son. Then apply and pay a load of cash. Job done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

I work for an American company and a few guys live here in Dublin. They have no issue paying the money for the golf courses.

One of my work colleagues is going to Scotland in May, his father and friends are flying over from the states. I seen their itinerary for the Scotland trip. Not one course less than 300 dollars, the max for one round they are playing is 650 dollars. In total they are playing about 7 courses. That is some amount of money they are spending on golf alone.

Advertisement