Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Looks gorgeous, nice raw links

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Ronney

No that was the give away, twigged it was 11 and 2. Looks a nice natural links. From the first photo my guess would have been North West

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

That's great to hear, I think you've nailed it with "charm", it has it in bucket loads.

I think they were gifted some land recently to build a clubhouse on, but I'm not sure they are going to. I think their view is that they're happy with their lot / why spend big when it's not really needed. Very rare and refreshing to hear that were my first thoughts.

On a calm day in summer it can play quite easy but it can also break you if there's a strong wind, and there often is. I suspect they haven't been cutting the greens as tight over the last few weeks / dry spell, they're generally not on the slow side.

Glad you enjoyed it, some cracking photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I think they’re right not too, it would take away from the course. A driving net and a few bells for the blind shots would make it a better experience while not changing it.

Yeah I had it fairly benign to be fair, I shot level with 3 birdies but some of those holes into the wind or a wind pushing out to sea would make some tee shots a lot more difficult.

I was behind a group for 6 holes that let me through on the 8th but it was probably a good thing, I had 3 holes played in about 20 minutes but then got to enjoy the views for the next hour and a half, they were calling me through for a while apparently but i was too busy being one with the course 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 23,563 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Quick question for anyone who has played Rosapenna. It says on the website that they have a 12 hole Par 3 course as a practice facility. Is this seperate to the resort (i.e. a nearby Pith & Putt course) or part of the resort? Am up there for a couple of days and was thinking be a handy one to play one of the evenings after playing golf in the morning.

• Advertisement

The driving rage and par 3 are across the road from the main course/hotel. Its flat enough few holes round a field. Kind of place you'd bring a kid new to golf to get a round in.

go to street view on google maps and you'll get an idea, runs along the side of the road.

The Old Tom Morris is flat enough with 9's starting at the club house and would be a decent option to add 9 in the evening

Walker cup going to Lahinch in 2026

Cheers, we're up for a few days so playing all three courses. Was thinking of heading to the Par 3 in the evening for an hour or so just to grab a few beers and knock a ball about.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ib_sanf

Hi Folks,

it’s a while since I was on boards.

There used to be a thread to team up with others on a course you were looking to play or were near by.

I don’t see it anymore though. So, posting here.

Happy to move the thread, if it still exists and someone can advise.

I’m down in Waterville for 2 weeks and looking to play, just don’t wanna go out as a single.

I was down here 2 years ago and they were able to pair me with another lad from Dublin in the same boat. We both got out as a 2 ball for the GUI rate.

I’ve been in touch and they don’t have anyone this time.

So, taking a punt to see if anybody else is in the vicinity and wants to play in the next 10 days.

GUI Rate is €180. Steep I know, but it’s one course I’ll push the boat out for.

Anyone around and up for it?

I’d consider Dooks too if anyone is interested. Same timespan.

I’ll take my chances and go up on spec to Waterville one afternoon if I get no hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,803 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

GI rate 180 ..Holy ****...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ib_sanf

yeah pricey. 300 is the rack rate at this time of year.

gui rate was 140 when I played it this time 2 yrs ago

Spent the weekend up in Rosapenna. Great spot.

St. Patricks is a beast. You can see in five years or so once it's had time to mature it will be a cracker of a course. It got scorched back in May and hasn't recovered so fairways and greens aren't great but the course design is fantastic. The 14th. in particular is a beauty of a hole.

Sandy Hills I really enjoyed but Old Tom Morris I'm not sure I'd play if I was back up there. Front nine is fine but the back 9 is pretty poor imo. The stretch from 11-14 in particular is just a grind and not enjoyable at all imo. Then 15-18 you get the wind at your back but the holes themselves are just totally bland, flat & straight with little character to them.

I was surprised at how easy the courses were rated on the GI App. I shot 36 (+14) points on Sandy Hills and was thinking should get me a nice drop in my handicap. Instead if gave a differential 2.5 shots about what I had. I have two other scores in my 20 with the 86 strokes in Courtown and Powerscourt and bother are rated 12.1 & 12.9 diff. And there is not a hope in hell I would rate either close to easier than Sandy Hills, even if you had a totally calm day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭benny79

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

They are trying to leave the Old Tom Morris untouched IIRC so hence it is what it was originally, think there are only one/two original holes left in Lahinch and they are the best two holes, 4/5

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ally McIntosh

Rosapenna OTM’s back nine dates largely from 1913 when it was redesigned by Harry Colt. A couple of holes have changed since then but much is as it was for the last 110 years. The front nine was built in the late 1990’s.

The stretch from 12-15 is one of my favourites in the country so surprised to see it get dissed above!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

I would agree. The back nine is a beautiful piece of golfing history and flows along the shore like a good links should do. I would happily play those nine holes any day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭golfer79

Played the O.T.M. Links twice this summer at Rosapenna. I had played it once before about 4 years ago and it was way better than I remembered. I think the back 9 is great. That par 3 at at the far tip (14 I think) is a tough hole. Yet to hold that green with the wind blowing in off the coast.

I love the golf in this area and the fantastic value for money that goes with it. I'm an annual visitor now with family including young kids to Downings for our summer holidays. All three courses at Rosapenna are fabulous, outstanding value for now and I'm looking forward to seeing how St. Patricks develops over time. I must add that I never find the welcome at Rosapenna the warmest compared to elsewhere. They don't do open days and you might struggle to find members to pair up with if holidaying in the area. You'll do well to get an overly warm welcome in the club shop or bar also tbh from my experiences, perhaps if you were American and had paid full whack you might.

For me, Portsalon over the road is the best 18 in the area. Just a wonderful route. Fair amount of open days and always welcoming members to play with on these days. St. Patricks will be the premier course by far in time, that is of no doubt at all, but for me Portsalon remains the best experience around here for now and I've bought numerous bits and bobs in their club shop in support.

Honourable mention for Dunfanaghy. You might not be inclined to play it on a short 3 or 4 day visit but if you are up that neck of the woods for longer then it is well worth a visit. It is a true links 18, it is let down by some bland and flat holes but the best holes are fantastic. Great views, Dunfanaghy is a lovely little village for pints and grub and the clubhouse is welcoming, you will find that members are delighted you have gave them a visit. 25 euro an open day, prob hard find a better value few hours in the 32 counties!

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

• Registered Users Posts: 21,151 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Dunfanaghy is a grand spot, not really many big dunes like at many other links courses, but agree with what you said alright. Soft spot too as was where I got my first eagle (10th hole I think, one where you can kinda drive over corner of the beach from a height). Would gladly go back though, sometimes it's nice notb to be battered by a course

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

The par 3 9th (i think) in Dunfanaghy is one of the most scenic holes i've played. Beautiful backdrop with the water all around you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭benny79

Stayed in a railway carriage in a clamping site in Dunfanaghy few years ago beautiful part of the world never mind Country! The have some link with Athy GC in Kildare where either members can play for free goes back years! (A local was telling me) sadly I was with my son so didnt get to play it but beautiful part of the country non the less

Both founded in1906 so they have reciprocal arrangements.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Vile price. honestly man; don't give them that money. Dooks really becoming farcical too with their pricing.

Disappointing that people will accept paying that kind of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Shank Williams

Kerry prices are a complete **** joke- I guess people pay and they don’t want the Irish so ..,,,

way more value and I’d argue better golf to be had elsewhere

I’ve gotten to that point too of agreeing that not only is there better value elsewhere, but yes there is also better golf to be had depending on personal preferences too.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

While I do think every course should have a few open days a year to give other GUI members the opportunity to play at a reasonable price (long gone are the days of getting Lahinch for €50) if someone wants to experience a top tier course and pay for it so be it.

I know for me I'll remember playing Waterville the once over playing 4/5 standard parkland tracks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Dooks are upping their green fee to €190 for next year too apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭blue note

Sure the member clubs are right to raise their prices. From the members point of view, there's more free slots on the time sheet and the green fees are covering more of the annual costs (so less need to get the money from members). I think most people feel their should be some Golf Ireland conditions for membership (like a requirement to host a minimum number of opens each year). But the way things are now, if I was a member in one of those clubs that's what I'd want my club to do.

There’s far superior golf in Donegal for less than half that price. Pure greed.

• Advertisement

Advertisement