Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Is there ever a world where Golf Ireland make it mandatory for Golf Ireland affiliated clubs to have X amount of days either a) easily accessible to non-members of that club b) a max capped green fee day?

I suppose for 'a' nearly all clubs can say anyone can play them anytime, when in reality, price dictates that to be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭fungie

Making clubs have X opens per year to be affiliated with golf Ireland is a great idea. Can't see it happening though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

There are many clubs where members struggle to get a time on the timesheet. Why should member access be further reduced?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

If they were ok with having their access to open comps removed then that’s fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Every single member of my club would take a day off work to visit Portmarnock for an open day.

Not one member of Portmarnock would ever travel to my club.

Golf courses aren’t equal, not even close. Golf clubs aren’t equal. So an expectation that they should all behave in an egalitarian way is actually unfair. And if was forced through, it would lead to the private club model of the USA.

Will I ever pay €300 to play Portmarnock. No. Not a chance. But you know what? I welcome the fact that it’s actually my choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

Some of these clubs are members clubs owned by the members. They decide how many tee times to give to members vs taking in green fees. Some of these clubs have millions. Granted, their maintenance costs millions, but they could give up some green fee times for their members if they so wished.

Also, some of the big courses, Tralee, Ballybunion for example, members subs are very reasonable, probably impossible to join due to demand, but they ain't forkin out thousands a year.

Both Tralee and Ballybunion I have no issue with btw, both can be played for reasonable cost in open days.

I do think if you want to avail of GUI rates and open days your own course should have 2/3 days a year minimum for other GUI members

• Registered Users Posts: 20,804 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Don't really agree that we should go down the American route and by increasing the price all the time, we are going the American route - Why on earth people think we should follow America in any way , particularly in a golfing sense. Is past my understanding of logic.

We are supposed to be in the one union - and GUI rates, opens and respecting people in your same union, was always an aspect of our sport. But , to ignore golf for a moment, this is the way it is in all other sports and associations - it is the one aspect of Irish life that we are known, world round for , a community based and voluntary based culture.

If we are going down the absolute capitalist route on this, as they have in the courses we know of - we are actually ironically moving away from what I think and many leading American golf writers think, is the charm of our product , you are playing golf in the community with average lads , from all walks of life.

I'm sickened by the few courses in the south west and Dublin - and this contagion is spreading. You go there and it is as obvious as night and day - that they don't want you there. They look past you - talk to you with an air of disdain and superiority. The state of them. When corvid was here or the economic crash - they hardly had a job. And now they are jumping around and dancing like idiots to yanks - like it is 1960 , in the ring of Kerry. I've even see them organize whisky and pints on the course - literally, nothing to do with Irish golf at all.

So I would encourage them to step away from this direction - be true to ourselves , the way we run things , like GAA , a relatively flat society , were people are judged by their character - not because they can pay 400 euro for a round of golf. It is a sad time for Irish golf , these people are selling the soul of Irish golf - and I'd warn, be careful what you wish for. Just look at your dream to see what that end point is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Shank Williams

Agreed 100%- the disdain when you ring and have the nerve to inquire re a gui rate on some of the premium courses is quite something

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Shank Williams

remember this next downturn pure greed and absolutely not worth that kind of money under any circumstances

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Nothing stopping members playing in their own Open, most Opens are dominated by home players.

One day a month would not kill the big guys

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

So was waiting for an Open to pop up on a second tier links that obviously think above themselves, the instant it popped up it was fully booked all day apart from a 2ball and single slot (4ball lines).....eyes roll

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭REFLINE1

Funny enough a US colleague of mine was in Waterville and Dooks the weekend and commented how Americanised the experience was, so obviously catering to the US tourist market, he saw it as a real negative and said he'd be seeking out more authentic Irish courses for his next trip.

Yes - was the case when i was there - 4 golfers - 4 caddies , If you need a caddy around Waterville - you can't really play golf .

Now. that is harsh - the lads are over for the trip of a life and they are enjoying themselves , best of luck to them, I'm no kill joy at all. But is gas to see them with all the gear and the cigars on the putting green - the staff running around for them like they are some sort of lords. Load of **** , particularly in an Irish context - Irish people have no real time for subservience - we had enough of it in our history.

It is like we are putting on an American experience on an Irish golf course.

But look - certain places are chasing the dollar - you can't blame them if it is their entire business model . But the people who are involved, should remember who they are - and not lord over an Irish golfer , just because they have only paid €130 - lol.

Hold an odd Open - be a bit more authentic and have some manners with your locals. You might need them one day.

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Lol I just looked up Waterville.

€300 green fee and they'll still charge you €5 if you want a pull cart. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭CorkBoyInDub

Off next week so said I'd chance my arm and see what Lahinch charge. 275 a head for a Wednesday morning. No GolfIreland rate. Even if it were 150 or something I'd consider it but that's crazy money.

275 in October..no GI rate.

Lahinch is some mess of a place..

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Yep. There is a place where the sun don't shine..... Shove it that is....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Living near Waterville, there is definitely a feel that they hate local members and would happily get rid of them all if possible. Sure even Hogs Head is getting rid of all members next year, and i can't imagine they had many at all. It's all about the American's. It's not hurting their business though, as Waterville is getting literally bus loads of players ever single day, and Hogs still has helicopters flying in multiple times a day.

So annoying after Irish golfers kept these clubs afloat during COVID, and they instantly **** them over when they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Yes, sadly they are no longer "irish" courses, examining how we deal with the conditions and have the craic afterwards. Irish are not invited.

Thank the lord for Donegal.

Don’t think it’s a goer with life getting in the way but I’m pretty sure I was getting St Patricks, Old Tom and Sandy Hills, and 2 nights in a hotel for not much more than €275 in October.

now. How do we build a fence around Donegal to keep the Yanks away?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

I hear you. The yanks can have the south west. Give me Donegal any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I've never paid more than €80 for Rosses Point, even on a weekend - always good for looking after GUI/Golf Ireland visitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭dk1982

In fairness at least Waterville actually offer a GUI rate (unlike Lahinch & Tralee etc). Was happy to pay €150 last year and €140 the year before buit at €180 they can do one now! But yeah as others have said thank God for Donegal and Sligo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

There is no issue getting out in Tralee for a reasonable rate (€60-€80) if you really wanted to play there. Between their Scratch cups and open days there are plenty opportunities for anyone to play there once you are on the ball when the timesheet opens. Bit unfair to lump them in with Lahinch who offer no such opportunities at any stage of the year and haven't for years. God be with the days when you could play an open singles there on a Thursday for €50 (and that's not all that long ago, maybe 10-15 years)

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

We are going up there in April. For 3 rounds, 3 nights stay (Air BnB) its working out at 320 euro. 12 of us going up.

Whats the craic with St. Patricks, I heard its really far away from the clubhouse and facilities. We were planning on getting a mini bus each day to the course so we could have food and pints afterwards but I heard St. Patricks isn't in walking distance to the clubhouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

You'll need to drive to St Patricks as it's a 5 minute drive down the road. No bar there either so there's no reason to hang about there after the golf. Depending on where your Airbnb is there might be no need for a minibus.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Heading to Rosapenna for the first time here on Saturday. 3 nights in an Air Bnb and 3 days of golf.

Excited for the golf, watching the Ryder Cup and for a few pints in the Harbour Bar in Downings.

Have never played golf up there so looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,563 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Yeah I did similair in August and got the lot for 320 as well. 210 for the golf and 110 for 2 nights accom.

For Old Tom Morris & Sandy Hills you check in at the main clubhouse and first tees are beside it. St. Patricks is about 5 minute drive away, still all on the same property but different entrance. St. Patricks doesn't really have any facilities, just a prefab with a small pro-shop and a fridge full of beers / snacks. One handy thing though is they leave a golf buggy off 9 green if you want to fly back to the clubhouse at the turn to grab something.

Don’t bother with a minibus.

The main Rosapenna pavilion is seasonal, and there’s a middling to strong chance it won’t be open for either food or drinks at that time.

As for St Patrick’s, it’s not (yet) geared up for that sort of 19th hole activity. It’s a portacabin with a few tables outside. It’s a 5 min drive from the main pavilion.

But don’t get disheartened. It’s a 1 mins drive / 10 min walk from Rosapenna to Downings village and there’s a handful of hotels and bars (not just the famous Harbour Bar) all suited to being your 19th hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Thanks for that. We have an Air BnB booked in Dunfrangy as all the other local accommodation was booked out. Its a 30 minute spin from there to Rosapenna. Not ideal, but at least we can head to Downings village after the golf. Appreciate the feedback.

Advertisement