Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fashion thread

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I could do with buying a couple of new work shirts. Any suggestions for good alternatives to TM Lewin for a good quality double-cuffed shirt (that won't cost a fortune)?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I could do with buying a couple of new work shirts. Any suggestions for good alternatives to TM Lewin for a good quality double-cuffed shirt (that won't cost a fortune)?

I generally get all my work shirts from one of the following; M&S, Next or Debenhams.

Can't go wrong.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

TM Lewin are doing a sale at the moment. They do decent shirts that last for years.*

*sorry Pepe I know that doesn't answer your question :pac:

Good to know, cheers bud. I normally buy my shirts in TM Lewin, just asking to see if there are any good alternatives!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

Good to know, cheers bud. I normally buy my shirts in TM Lewin, just asking to see if there are any good alternatives!

Charles Tyrwhitt is essentially the same business model. Not sure how they compare in quality terms.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

What's the stuff in NEXT like?

Good fits and decent quality I find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Pricey?

Nope 30 quid ish.

They do grand shirt/tie combo's too. Ideal for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Well lads,

got a nice chocolate brown blazer but ive no idea what colour jeans that go with it?

Any help please.

• Advertisement

Probably only dark navy or black.

Slattsy wrote: »

Grand ive a pair of dark navy jean. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Dark navy - yes but Black? Really?

I'd wear a brown belt and boots with a black top alright, but that would be the end of it for me personally

Yeah black is fine, of course.
    Black shoes would be a must though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Yeah black is fine, of course.
    Black shoes would be a must though.
    What Colour inside the blazer then if you're going with black pants & shoes?

I've worn black pants and brown shoes to work before....it was a learning experience :pac:

Personally I'd go for dark jeans, brown shoes & the brown blazer, but even then I wouldn't be too sure what colour to wear inside the blazer.

A light coloured shirt of some kind I'd say. White, pale blue etc.

Stop saying pants :P

Personally i wouldnt wear a brown blazer myself, but dark navy would be what i'd wear. To be honest i only wear dark navy jeans, anything else isnt smart enough, despise blue jeans. But black would be fine with the brown, probably a white shirt to straighten it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Well lads,

got a nice chocolate brown blazer but ive no idea what colour jeans that go with it?

Any help please.

Darkish navy jeans, maybe a bit of fade on them. You could wear dark brown shoes, black shoes would work aswell though. A white shirt goes really well with a brown blazer, although check shirts would go really well too, dark grey/black check shirt is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,151 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I've always thought that black jeans were awful!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭OldRio

Hi Gents. Some advice would be appreciated.
    I'm in my mid 50's. Tall 6ft 3inch. Broad shoulders. No belly.
    I farm.
    The last ten years fashion for myself has been jumpers, checked shirts and cords. Basic and boring.
    I need a change. Looked for fashion tips for my size and age on line and.......... Blazer and jeans? In Leitrim? They would think I'd won the lottery.

Herself goes for the country woman look and looks well on it but, well I don't know. Help needed. Thanks.

• Advertisement

OldRio wrote: »
    Hi Gents. Some advice would be appreciated.
    I'm in my mid 50's. Tall 6ft 3inch. Broad shoulders. No belly.
    I farm.
    The last ten years fashion for myself has been jumpers, checked shirts and cords. Basic and boring.
    I need a change. Looked for fashion tips for my size and age on line and.......... Blazer and jeans? In Leitrim? They would think I'd won the lottery.

Herself goes for the country woman look and looks well on it but, well I don't know. Help needed. Thanks.

Jeans are plain shirt, your only man!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭OldRio

Jeans are plain shirt, your only man!

Thanks for that.
    I've not wore jeans in nearly 30 years. You had two choices then Levi or Wrangler. Seems a bit different now. :D

tunguska wrote: »
    Darkish navy jeans, maybe a bit of fade on them. You could wear dark brown shoes, black shoes would work aswell though. A white shirt goes really well with a brown blazer, although check shirts would go really well too, dark grey/black check shirt is perfect.

And shirt always tucked in yeah?? Ive a belly on me so what looks best. Thanks

Thanks for that.
    I've not wore jeans in nearly 30 years. You had two choices then Levi or Wrangler. Seems a bit different now. :D

Nowt wrong with Levi's or Wranglers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Not necessarily. I mean you'd tuck the shirt in if you're at something a bit fancy and formal, but if you're on a casual night out you can let the shirt hang out. A dark red tie loosely tied works will with a brown blazer aswell.

Always tuck in your shirt, always.

Unless its a very casual shirt and your not wearing shoes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Depends on the shirt and what looks good on you. Some shirts are designed to be in and others are designed to be out. If it is designed to be in don't leave it out (unless you are paricularly cool).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Thanks for that.

So many different types of casual trousers out there now that many people of many ages can wear with style so you don't necessarily have to go with jeans. Chinos with a slightly tapered leg look good. With shirts, nothing wrong with contemporary check pattern but again there is so many choices of styles in shirts also. Pay a visit to your nearest TK Maxx (Sligo?) and you'll find a wide choice. Subtle floral pattern shirts (while sounding a bit girly) actually look really well on guys - just avoid the louder colours/prints. Debenhams do a great range of these types of shirts.

If you fancy wearing jeans, there is a lot more than Levis and Wrangler but I'd recommend you go for a straight leg (not slim or skinny, just straight) and either a dark indigo or navy colour. You see a lot of guys wearing nice dressy shirts and blazers but with very wide, bootcut or even flared leg jeans which just spoil and date their look.

Blazers are great but if you feel conspicuous wearing them, then avoid! It's all about feeling comfortable at the end of the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jms2013

Anyone here wear Loakes? Interested in a pair of their brogue boots, pricey enough so would hope they'd be worth it!

• Advertisement

hard to top TM Lewin for the price/quality ratio. Next shirts as recommended by someone here wouldn't be in the same league. Good deals and choice on the TM Lewin online store.

Advertisement