Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Stage 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭wannabegard

Stay away from careers servoxes their ****e. Get the home study packs their good thou don't do the classes

• Registered Users Posts: 6 kessyj92

@wannabegard where do you get the home study packs ?? Thanks.

You can order them off the website

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

For stage 3, 4 and 5 is there a little bit of flexibility in regards the dates?? If you weren't able to make a mid week assessment could it be arranged for a weekend etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭WillFerrell93

mycro89 wrote: »
    For stage 3, 4 and 5 is there a little bit of flexibility in regards the dates?? If you weren't able to make a mid week assessment could it be arranged for a weekend etc?

You would need a VERY good reason.. To be honest it would be difficult to do.. They want to see if you are commited

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Dublingirl88

Very little flexibility if any... Have some annual leave aside for the upcoming stages would be my advice.

I think the medical and physical has a bit more flexibility but you will likely be delaying your progression as there will be plenty of people after you ready to jump at any date offered to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭JonathanP

Can I ask perhaps a stupid question? Would it look better to not answer all the questions but answer them fairly ok then to answer them all rushed. would it look bad that I didn't answer them all? I know it says that it's expected that some won't finish the test but is it a test in itself to see who can work better under pressure

JonathanP wrote: »
    Can I ask perhaps a stupid question? Would it look better to not answer all the questions but answer them fairly ok then to answer them all rushed. would it look bad that I didn't answer them all? I know it says that it's expected that some won't finish the test but is it a test in itself to see who can work better under pressure

Personally I do better not rushing through....

Pretty sure on the Verbal I left some unanswered... think I only had 1 or 2 from the logical.... I did far better in my logical than verbal though...

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭danbag1989

Personally I do better not rushing through.... I can't remember but I think you can skip ahead and answer all the easier ones then with remaining time go back and do the harder ones?

Pretty sure on the Verbal I left some unanswered... think I only had 1 or 2 from the logical.... I did far better in my logical than verbal though...

Just read the pdf came with the message on Public Jobs, for the record you CANNOT go back and answer, if you click Back on your browser the test will cancel and thats that according to the document.
    I also prefer logical

danbag1989 wrote: »
    Just read the pdf came with the message on Public Jobs, for the record you CANNOT go back and answer, if you click Back on your browser the test will cancel and thats that according to the document.
    I also prefer logical

Thanks for clarifying! I've deleted that part of my post to avoid potential confusion, I've done many tests over the past year for PAS and some do allow you to go back and revise...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭danbag1989

Thanks for clarifying! I've deleted that part of my post to avoid potential confusion, I've done many tests over the past year for PAS and some do allow you to go back and revise...

Yeah I've done a few too where they tell you if you cant answer keep going then use whatever time is left to go back to the ones you couldnt do. I dunno whats better really. I havent done a test since Stage 1 then got back into it today, how are you finding them?

Was talking to a lad I know who is within band 3, he swears by a certain company for practice material, he went to them back in 2013 for a day course and is on about going to them again now? I'm wondering is he thinking this true?? If they were so good how come he ended up in stage 3 the first place ?? Should I tell him to stop and don't bother going back to them?

danbag1989 wrote: »
    Yeah I've done a few too where they tell you if you cant answer keep going then use whatever time is left to go back to the ones you couldnt do. I dunno whats better really. I havent done a test since Stage 1 then got back into it today, how are you finding them?

I'm actually finished all stages and waiting to get down to templemore so am on here attempting to give advice if I can - admittedly this time I was wrong!
    Was talking to a lad I know who is within band 3, he swears by a certain company for practice material, he went to them back in 2013 for a day course and is on about going to them again now? I'm wondering is he thinking this true?? If they were so good how come he ended up in stage 3 the first place ?? Should I tell him to stop and don't bother going back to them?

Well they may have made the difference for him between failing and being knocked out of the competition and qualifying, would be very hard to know if the company is in any way helpful... possibly believing they have helped him will give him confidence during the test and he'll get through or maybe they do really help. Each to their own!

Guys a lot of it is just pratice pratice and more pratice. I kinda saw this coming for a while but i didnt expect it for another month at least....theres plenty of resources out there google inductive reasoning. Lets face it we are band 2 and band 3 so we are usless at aptitude tests, me in particular... theres no point going to a course not having a clue about the aptitude tests so pratice pratice and do more pratice before you go. Get an idea of what they are like before you start them

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭caza182

Guys a lot of it is just pratice pratice and more pratice. I kinda saw this coming for a while but i didnt expect it for another month at least....theres plenty of resources out there google inductive reasoning. Lets face it we are band 2 and band 3 so we are usless at aptitude tests, me in particular... theres no point going to a course not having a clue about the aptitude tests so pratice pratice and do more pratice before you go. Get an idea of what they are like before you start them

I wouldn't say everyone in band 2 and 3 is useless at the tests, my placing was 700 at stage 1 and compared my scores to someone in band 2 and there was very little difference...I agree with the practice though it's the only way you'll get better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Here dude, the word your trying to say is 'practise'. That's how you spell it.

And yes you pronounce the 'c' like a 'k' sound.

Ya me there lad....

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Copaholic

to all and anyone,

to recap, when band 1, some 5000 strong completed stage 2 it resulted in an immediate reduction in band 1of 40% (approx.) to 3100. Can we now expect to see a similar reduction in Bands 2 and 3 together, ie a reduction of 40% of 7000 to 4200. Bearing in mind its 18 months since the commencement of the campaign and PAS went throught 1 BAND 1 quicker then expected( possibly because opeople had gone off and done other stuff) will there be as a significant amount in band 2 and 3 that will not sit stage 2. On that basis can we see the leftover candidates when stage 2 completed fall to as low as 3000 give or take?.

Any thoughts out there and im sure others are crunching the figures also

Copaholic wrote: »
    to all and anyone,

to recap, when band 1, some 5000 strong completed stage 2 it resulted in an immediate reduction in band 1of 40% (approx.) to 3100. Can we now expect to see a similar reduction in Bands 2 and 3 together, ie a reduction of 40% of 7000 to 4200. Bearing in mind its 18 months since the commencement of the campaign and PAS went throught 1 BAND 1 quicker then expected( possibly because opeople had gone off and done other stuff) will there be as a significant amount in band 2 and 3 that will not sit stage 2. On that basis can we see the leftover candidates when stage 2 completed fall to as low as 3000 give or take?.

Any thoughts out there and im sure others are crunching the figures also

Yea I agree I imagine the max will be 4000 and it could be as little as 3000, but I imagine some will take it just in case but when invited to the supervised tests in band 3 won't turn up!

Just to let everyone on this know, there is a guy in co. tipperary who assists people with aptitude tests. He charges a nice bit of money for them and he gives you bad information,out of date and does tests from 7 years ago and gives you nothing to study when you are leaving.

I only took away one or two bits of info from this session and i would strongly recommend that anyone thinking about going to this individual reconsider. HE IS A MOTHERFCUKING CONMAN!!!

Dos you say that to him ?

• Advertisement

I said it to the person who recommended him. I took him on after and he brushed me off

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Lady Kitkat103

Hello everyone reading ye're posts there.... am set to do stage 2 the 25th Aug - 9th Sept! Ok so few questions
    1. Is anyone thinking that the practice questions on the 'stage 2 familiarisation material' that was give through the message via link, Could those scores be put to your overall score in final exam?
    2. Do you need a drivers licence? Full or learner?
    3. Hows everyone getting on with practice questions?
    4. Does anyone else get mad when they hear people dropping out or only doing it for the laugh when there are people (me) that dearly want to be a guard all my life! ??

Lads something iv noticed with the inductive reasoning. Their very similar to the tests given on the HPAT entrance exam for medical students. If you can find a HPAT tutor that could help you a lot. Im waiting to hear back from someone atm.

Were you a medical student?

If I was lad why would I be going for the Gards?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 seamen

If I was lad why would I be going for the Gards?

They might have revoked your medical license for inappropriate activity.

As a famous man once said in a thick Tipperary accent....Now That Is Good....(pat short)...

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭AudiKid

Anybody considering applying for the Army as a back-up plan?

AudiKid wrote: »
    Anybody considering applying for the Army as a back-up plan?

If you want to take orders from assholes that make no sense for the rest of your life, sit around in the barracks, then work away.

PSNI will be taking on in october.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 IrelandRos

Hi

Does anyone know for the practice test on Inductive Reasoning (Stage 2) if there is any way of finding out answers with explanation? There are a couple of questions that have thrown me and can see no logic whatsoever, slowly going mad....

Advertisement