Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heifer prices 2015/2016

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

blackdog1 wrote: »
    I put heifers in donedeal last year when there was no market for them supposedly. Got 30 calls in a day just based on pictures. No one wanted to know about ebi. Had them sold the next day for 1600. Farmer looked at my heifers and cows that was it. Good stock sells. Breeding heifers I would say 900-1000 unless you have stock like stan and mahoney

cool, thanks. ill let u know how they get on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,095 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

I never said it was. Have you any more cows from that bull?
    Maybe it was just a bad cross?
    Your in a unique position where you can be picky with bulls you pick and cows you keep.
    Fertility is the number one in my book. If ye don't have that then that's Where ye start.
    Mine us only 84 here so want to rise it alot

Everyone should be picky with the bulls they use,fertility is key yes but u could end up with a massively fertile cow with a small volume of milk which is now why the ai companies are looking for bulls with high milk sub index.ebi is delievering but occasionally it can throw up a bad one,equally I have 3 cows with very low ebi bred by lord Lilly who constantly bring super stock and go in calf every year doing large volumes of milk and solids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Everyone should be picky with the bulls they use,fertility is key yes but u could end up with a massively fertile cow with a small volume of milk which is now why the ai companies are looking for bulls with high milk sub index.ebi is delievering but occasionally it can throw up a bad one,equally I have 3 cows with very low ebi bred by lord Lilly who constantly bring super stock and go in calf every year doing large volumes of milk and solids

Yes but if you look at the bulls in the book there is very little wrong with them in type wise unless you are being very picky.
    Equally I have cows low on fert that are hard got back in calf. Ye do have to pick and choose your cows though on what bulls you use on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Even type bulls used incorrectly used can throw poorly structured cows. More likely to happen with EBI as it simply doesn't matter. It actually rewards poor type. There aren't too many bulls over €250 that have reasonable type. The dam and the generations of breeding gone into here is going to have to do a lot of work to protect some of these bulls. Nice that the guys that played their game have realized it's a bit more than breeding by numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭stanflt

Gillespy wrote: »
    Even type bulls used incorrectly used can throw poorly structured cows. More likely to happen with EBI as it simply doesn't matter. It actually rewards poor type. There aren't too many bulls over €250 that have reasonable type. The dam and the generations of breeding gone into here is going to have to do a lot of work to protect some of these bulls. Nice that the guys that played their game have realized it's a bit more than breeding by numbers.

What would you do with an smr bull that is 297 Ebi. Milk sub index of 101 and had a type figure of 1.7uddet 1.9 f&l and 1.67 overall

• Advertisement

stanflt wrote: »

Expecting results of mine back this week,hope I get a phone call and not a text!!.13 gone so far.i have one praticular pkr bull that dovea,euro gene and ncbc all sent me letters for and also got a phone call from dovea and ncbc just to check he isxstill there.fingers crossed.presume if a calf is selected they take him fairly quick.congrats also by the way!!!.what sort of ebi are we talking about

good luck tomorrow

good luck tomorrow

Thanks stan,sent off 2 on Tuesday got a text from ncbc today saying that they are only testing obe of them due to them exceeding there genotyping target.anyway fingers crossed!!

What would you do with an smr bull that is 297 Ebi. Milk sub index of 101 and had a type figure of 1.7uddet 1.9 f&l and 1.67 overall

Bit of research to be done to improve on that!!

Bit of research to be done to improve on that!!

ncbc didnt want him

Thanks stan,sent off 2 on Tuesday got a text from ncbc today saying that they are only testing obe of them due to them exceeding there genotyping target.anyway fingers crossed!!

Got the feckin text ,first batch of 6 tested didn't want any if them.ebi ranging 362,337,328,325,300 and 236.ah well maby next week.7 more awaiting results.gen evaluation reports to follow.

• Advertisement

Got the feckin text ,first batch of 6 tested didn't want any if them.ebi ranging 362,337,328,325,300 and 236.ah well maby next week.7 more awaiting results.gen evaluation reports to follow.

There serious ebis that I could only dream of- your fertility must be excellent

I think the bulls have to be over 200 kg of milk this year because of the re evaluation coming in August

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Milked out wrote: »

thats a great cow imo
    good solid type and great milk and fertility
    whens he available

Hopefully straws will be out in jan, he'd be 14 months at the end of dec, all going well.

Got another phone call

Calf is out of a lovely hva from An flt grand dam

Got another phone call

Congrats again!!.question if ncbc reject a calf could I approach dovea or lic or would they have access to the report to view??.ncbc are testing all mine even though I got letters from dovea and lic for some

Congrats again!!.question if ncbc reject a calf could I approach dovea or lic or would they have access to the report to view??.ncbc are testing all mine even though I got letters from dovea and lic for some

I would offer calves to other companies all they can say is no

Next evaluation is out in April
    Your calves could go up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Got another phone call

Well done, your on a roll this year. Did FLTs' dam have many daughters or is she still knocking about herself?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

No mad prices for dairy stock in Corrin today maiden heifers average wt 314 kg average price €703 calves first 3 made €230-260 rest unsold @ €150

Advertisement