Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heifer prices 2015/2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭stanflt

Milked out wrote: »
    stanflt wrote: »

Munster bought one of our autumn bulls, and talking to the man that called to us he reckoned high yielding high solids bulls is what fellas will be looking for once milking blocks are fully stocked, Its what a lot a lads are looking for already. Do you reckon the current crop of genomic bulls will stay for a number of years or will there always be the new bulls coming?

What is his sire stack and what kind of milk- would love to use him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

What is his sire stack and what kind of milk- would love to use him

He is an ABO out of a DEU cow whos' dam is out of NEL, (Galtee Noel). His Milk sub index is 137, 267 kg milk, 20 kg fat, 21 kg protein. The Dam is a good cow in fairness, calved every oct for the last 4 years. avg completed lactations of 7541kg, 579kg f+p, 297days, The type of cow you don't notice really, milks fine, goes back in calf with little fuss. Classeified vg85

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Heard of a deal today 45 je cross bulling heifers 915 a piece heading to wales

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

915 for maidens, thats fair going alrite. the export market is keeping prices ticking over at the moment i'd say, if the uk makes inroads on its tb problem it will surely just boil down to domestic conditions in any given year, milk price and weather/ feed issues

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

keep going wrote: »
    Was that the farmer buying direct? Can't see an exporter paying that price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Looking at bulls in the lic catelog last week would have me tempted

Big decisions ahead

Certainly don't mean to be down on LIC, as I've been using them for yrs, but the health sub index on a lot of their bulls is definitely a concern for me, esp their friesan bulls. Apparently the weightings for EBI are to be changed again nxt yr, with much for emphasis being put on health. Plenty guys never look beyond milk and fertility sub index and I think we need to be careful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

This would not be an unusual price usually run at around a grand for maidens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Can you send incalf cows or heifers over to the uk ? How close to calving can they travel do you know ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

moy83 wrote: »
    Can you send incalf cows or heifers over to the uk ? How close to calving can they travel do you know ?

Yes, I do it all the time. If they look like calving within 2-3 wks ie very sprung up Dept will not allow travel. You'd know yourself by looking at them before they leave the yard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Fathers friend bought 18 fresh calvedd cows/heifers in kilkenny mart thus week.
    Said bulling heifers only making 500 and some not even getting a bid

• Advertisement

Any maiden heifer going that price would want some breeding behind her, and definitely not jex. You can buy calved jex heifers for 1000.

Same here in Cork I saw 2 yr old maiden heifers in kanturk they went to 600 seller wanted 650 but the bidder left him keep them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭biddy2013

what did he pay for the cows/heifers?

biddy2013 wrote: »
    what did he pay for the cows/heifers?

Don't know. He wouldn't really tell you.
    They breed all the cows to CH and the young lad us cracking up over this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Any maiden heifer going that price would want some breeding behind her, and definitely not jex. You can buy calved jex heifers for 1000.

They were sold from the shinagh farm in bandon so un less our board member is telling porky pies.there is big demand for larger numbers of je crosses .went to the mart last week and the number of 4 and 5 year old dry cows inside there was frithening.met my buddy who works in bandon and skibbereen marts and he said its been the same all this year.he reckons that because heifer prices are artificially low fellas are letting off not in calf cows whereas before they would have been brought around.so why is there more demand for fr heifers in the mart-because its full of fellas who have just sold their 2 nd or third lactation dry cow not fellas who have jerseys

They were sold from the shinagh farm in bandon so un less our board member is telling porky pies.there is big demand for larger numbers of je crosses .went to the mart last week and the number of 4 and 5 year old dry cows inside there was frithening.met my buddy who works in bandon and skibbereen marts and he said its been the same all this year.he reckons that because heifer prices are artificially low fellas are letting off not in calf cows whereas before they would have been brought around.so why is there more demand for fr heifers in the mart-because its full of fellas who have just sold their 2 nd or third lactation dry cow not fellas who have jerseys

I've been to a few dairy sales this spring in north Cork not many old cows for sale only first and second calvers and a lot of them are going home again because of low or no bids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Sam Kade wrote: »
    I've been to a few dairy sales this spring in north Cork not many old cows for sale only first and second calvers and a lot of them are going home again because of low or no bids.

If you have good stock breeding heifers are between 800-1000. Thats for pedigree hol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

blackdog1 wrote: »
    If you have good stock breeding heifers are between 800-1000. Thats for pedigree hol.

Would it be more profitable to sell fr Hf calves for 500e or to sell fresh Calved in 2 yrs
    What would be the cost of sales

milkprofit wrote: »
    Would it be more profitable to sell fr Hf calves for 500e or to sell fresh Calved in 2 yrs
    What would be the cost of sales

Had 4 out today

Avg 1930 with one only making 1380

It was a tough sale

Discussion group meeting today on members farm.
    He is one of highest in country on ebi and has two bulls in progressive this year.
    He reckons lads that bought heifers off him had better ones than he himself had as he kept the ones with highest ebi and didn't look at there type

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Gillespy

EBI not including type is its major flaw. How we thought we knew better than almost every country in the world to have an index that ignored even basic type is beyond me.

Gillespy wrote: »
    EBI not including type is its major flaw. How we thought we knew better than almost every country in the world to have an index that ignored even basic type is beyond me.

Yes but but I prefers a cow that goes incalf over a good looking one.
    Seamus Hughes was there and he said 10 yrs ago when ebi started getting big the herds well known for type didn't believe in it and now they are using ebi and there is bulls from those herds coming through now.
    He also said once the big fertility issues in Irish herds is sorted out then the ebi will be based more on feet legs mastitis and overall type

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

Had 4 out today

Avg 1930 with one only making 1380

It was a tough sale

Where
    Can u describe hfs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,095 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Yes but but I prefers a cow that goes incalf over a good looking one.
    Seamus Hughes was there and he said 10 yrs ago when ebi started getting big the herds well known for type didn't believe in it and now they are using ebi and there is bulls from those herds coming through now.
    He also said once the big fertility issues in Irish herds is sorted out then the ebi will be based more on feet legs mastitis and overall type

Type is a lot more than a good looking cow gg.my highest ebi cow last year was an absolute screw of a yolk,bad feet and legs,poor udder and brutal teat placement .only milked a shade over 1000 gallons at 3.95 fat and 3.52 protein.she is now burgers.ebi wasn't here 10 years ago it was rbi

milkprofit wrote: »
    Where
    Can u describe hfs.

carnaross
    taafe auctions on facebook has the catelog

gio 2140 162ebi
    llk 1920 190ebi
    s902 2280 167ebi
    hrj 1380 85ebi

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

we have a batch of pedigree holstein heifers for sale in d next few weeks, they are well fed, off gud milking dams. They are all a year old or thereabouts. Their EBI isn't great though under 100 mostly.
    What do ye think they shud make at a guess,

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Type is a lot more than a good looking cow gg.my highest ebi cow last year was an absolute screw of a yolk,bad feet and legs,poor udder and brutal teat placement .only milked a shade over 1000 gallons at 3.95 fat and 3.52 protein.she is now burgers.ebi wasn't here 10 years ago it was rbi

i now someone who won the bank of ireland award for the top rbi herd in the country

i think theres a pic of him hanging in the kitchen

He is an ABO out of a DEU cow whos' dam is out of NEL, (Galtee Noel). His Milk sub index is 137, 267 kg milk, 20 kg fat, 21 kg protein. The Dam is a good cow in fairness, calved every oct for the last 4 years. avg completed lactations of 7541kg, 579kg f+p, 297days, The type of cow you don't notice really, milks fine, goes back in calf with little fuss. Classeified vg85

thats a great cow imo
    good solid type and great milk and fertility
    whens he available

mahoney_j wrote: »

I never said it was. Have you any more cows from that bull?
    Maybe it was just a bad cross?
    Your in a unique position where you can be picky with bulls you pick and cows you keep.
    Fertility is the number one in my book. If ye don't have that then that's Where ye start.
    Mine us only 84 here so want to rise it alot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Henwin wrote: »
    we have a batch of pedigree holstein heifers for sale in d next few weeks, they are well fed, off gud milking dams. They are all a year old or thereabouts. Their EBI isn't great though under 100 mostly.
    What do ye think they shud make at a guess,

I put heifers in donedeal last year when there was no market for them supposedly. Got 30 calls in a day just based on pictures. No one wanted to know about ebi. Had them sold the next day for 1600. Farmer looked at my heifers and cows that was it. Good stock sells. Breeding heifers I would say 900-1000 unless you have stock like stan and mahoney

Advertisement