Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Prius+ 7 seater

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭wtawfick

So what will it cost you over the 3 years ? I know it might vary with the mileage and condition.

But it's what it will cost you in the 3 years is what's important because that's what you'll actually pay !

After the 3 years there should be a plug in version, maybe even fully electric.

I know I wouldn't pay 38K for a 1.6 tdi VW of any kind, though the total cost is what you pay in the 3 years I suppose.

This is what I'll pay over the course of 3 years (for all three cars) as well as final total price (If I don't upgrade the car at the end of the 3 years):

1- Prius+:
    Part exchange: €5,000
    Extra Deposit: €2,000
    Monthly repayments (x36 months): €555.93 x 36 = €20,013.48
    Documentation Fees: €63.49
    Total at 3 years: €27,076.97
    GFV: €13,843.05
    Final Total Price: €40,920.02

2-VW Touran 1.6 TDi DSG:
    Extra Deposit: €2,000
    Monthly repayments (x36 months): €523.78 x 36 = €18,856.08
    Documentation Fees: €150
    Total at 3 years: €26,006.08
    GFV: €14,701
    Final Total Price: €40,707.08

3-Citroen C4 Grand Picasso 2.0 Automatic:
    Extra Deposit: €2,200
    Monthly repayments (x36 months): €582.52 x 36 = €20,970.72
    Documentation Fees: €150
    Total at 3 years: €28,320.72
    GFV: €12,600
    Final Total Price: €40,920.72

wtawfick wrote: »
    In the UK they seem to have two trims, T4 & T Spirit. Here it's just Prius+.

The adaptive cruise is available on the regular prius as an option called the technology pack and I'm astonished it isn't available on the prius + :eek:

It's one option I'd love more than anything. And if the park assist works as good as the one in the A6 then parking would be insanely easy.

No one could parallel a big car like an A6 in twice the time, seriously it's that good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Casati

How is VRT threaded for Prius+? Is a special rebate still available and is that included in the 35k list price?

The adaptive cruise is available on the regular prius as an option called the technology pack and I'm astonished it isn't available on the prius + :eek:

It's one option I'd love more than anything. And if the park assist works as good as the one in the A6 then parking would be insanely easy.

No one could parallel a big car like an A6 in twice the time, seriously it's that good.

Just looked up Toyota Ireland website. Seems to be standard cruise control. There's no technology pack & no park assist in the options. The only options seem to be structural (mud flaps, front & rear garnish,....)

Casati wrote: »
    How is VRT threaded for Prius+? Is a special rebate still available and is that included in the 35k list price?

Is there supposed to be VRT rebate for the Prius? Nothing was mentioned by the dealer :(

• Advertisement

Just looked up Toyota Ireland website. Seems to be standard cruise control. There's no technology pack & no park assist in the options. The only options seem to be structural (mud flaps, front & rear garnish,....)

Yep you're right I just looked.

See it's the typical way garages work.

A dealer sees it, well no one looks for the specs so we'll delete 90% of the options from the list.

The person with no clue doesn't know what's available or not and can't decide for themselves and so naturally no one looks for the options as they don't know they exist !

I'd have to say, if I was parting with my hard earned and a dealer said I couldn't have the options as they're not available I know where I'd tell them to go !

This is on the standard prius, the prius plus doesn't seem to have adaptive cruise either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

Prius plus only has standard cruise control, the luxury version wouldn't really be a good seller here, too expensive, due to the luxury pack coming with solar panels

• Registered Users Posts: 12,762 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I think you've answered your own question: on price alone the Toyota has it.

On spec and quality the Toyota has it.

I think, going on past history, in terms of resale value, the Toyota has it.

I think in terms of what your wife wants/likes, the Toyota has it. I disagree with your assessment of the usefulness of the parking aids etc. I think useful technology should be used to the full.

What's not to like ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Summary of what I’ve got from this thread so far:

Citroen is out of the running: Least reliable. Most expensive (both at 3 years & total final price).

VW Touran despite having the highest upfront price, is actually the cheapest car (both at 3 years & total final price). Long term maintenance for the turbo diesel might end up being more expensive than the hybrid, so long term might end up with higher running costs. Benefits of the diesel would be more on long drives which we won’t be doing much of. Less economic on short runs (which we will mainly be doing).

Prius+ from your comments seems to be quite reliable. More economical on short drives & in town commuting. Admitted, it is more expensive than the Touran, but has more options. Probably with less running costs & less road tax it’ll make up for the slight difference in price with the Touran.

We have a verdict:

It’s the Prius+.

I’ll go tomorrow to pay the deposit. Any last words of advice before I sign on the dotted line? Anything else I should be asking the dealer?

I really want to thank everybody here for helping me make up my mind :)
    Up until early last week, I had not even heard of a 7 seater Prius. I definitely never thought I'd ever drive a hybrid. I was one of those who thought it was just a gimmick.
    I have to say it'll raise a few eyebrows & some people might even consider me schizophrenic :rolleyes:
    There'll be 2 cars parked side by side. One of them a Prius. The other a V6 3 litre Petrol !!! Talk about saving the environment :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,762 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Summary of what I’ve got from this thread so far:

Citroen is out of the running: Least reliable. Most expensive (both at 3 years & total final price).

VW Touran despite having the highest upfront price, is actually the cheapest car (both at 3 years & total final price). Long term maintenance for the turbo diesel might end up being more expensive than the hybrid, so long term might end up with higher running costs. Benefits of the diesel would be more on long drives which we won’t be doing much of. Less economic on short runs (which we will mainly be doing).

Prius+ from your comments seems to be quite reliable. More economical on short drives & in town commuting. Admitted, it is more expensive than the Touran, but has more options. Probably with less running costs & less road tax it’ll make up for the slight difference in price with the Touran.

We have a verdict:

It’s the Prius+.

I’ll go tomorrow to pay the deposit. Any last words of advice before I sign on the dotted line? Anything else I should be asking the dealer?

Good choice IMHO.

Advice? As much free stuff as possible ! Anything you want or agree to, I don't care how trivial it may seem, or how nice the sales guy is, get it in writing. Just write it on the order yourself if you have to. Nothing like clarity.

And, subjective I know, and truly personal, but get a nice colour !

Who knows, maybe I'll pick it up in 3 years off you -seeing as you're local and all :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 73,433 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There'll be 2 cars parked side by side. One of them a Prius. The other a V6 3 litre Petrol !!! Talk about saving the environment :D

That's called a carbon offset.

galwaytt wrote: »
    Good choice IMHO.

Advice? As much free stuff as possible ! Anything you want or agree to, I don't care how trivial it may seem, or how nice the sales guy is, get it in writing. Just write it on the order yourself if you have to. Nothing like clarity.

And, subjective I know, and truly personal, but get a nice colour !

Who knows, maybe I'll pick it up in 3 years off you -seeing as you're local and all :)

Great. we could do a direct swap. The prius+ for the 996 cabrio :D

colm_mcm wrote: »
    That's called a carbon offset.

Haha :D

Just remember you won't get 60-65 mpg in a bigger plus, but 50-55 should be easily achievable.

Maybe in 3 years you can hop into a decent plug in or fully electric.

Pcp offers the advantage of being able to swap every 3 years bad have decent value left where at 20-25 k miles a year I'd suffer a lot of depreciation.

Just remember you won't get 60-65 mpg in a bigger plus, but 50-55 should be easily achievable.

Maybe in 3 years you can hop into a decent plug in or fully electric.

Pcp offers the advantage of being able to swap every 3 years bad have decent value left where at 20-25 k miles a year I'd suffer a lot of depreciation.

Maybe in 3 years.
    I need a bit of a transition though. I still need to ease myself into the whole hybrid thing first. If I'm impressed, I would be open to a full electric.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

[QUOTE=wtawfick;88821671

We have a verdict:

It’s the Prius+.

I’ll go tomorrow to pay the deposit. Any last words of advice before I sign on the dotted line? Anything else I should be asking the dealer?[/QUOTE]

Congrats,

Ps....get a blue one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

I really want to thank everybody here for helping me make up my mind :)
    Up until early last week, I had not even heard of a 7 seater Prius. I definitely never thought I'd ever drive a hybrid. I was one of those who thought it was just a gimmick.
    I have to say it'll raise a few eyebrows & some people might even consider me schizophrenic :rolleyes:

fair play, definitely the right choice :)

I went from a 3.5 petrol, feels damn good going from €1900 a year tax to €180!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

Wher would you be moeywise from the uk with 6k on it and over 6 months. Then sell vw private. As a note all toyota dealers are linked. They put in the reg and info into their system thats why same trade in rate.

Wher would you be moeywise from the uk with 6k on it and over 6 months. Then sell vw private. As a note all toyota dealers are linked. They put in the reg and info into their system thats why same trade in rate.
    So who gets the deal then? They were all in competition with each other back in the day.

• Advertisement

By the way, the same trade in rate was over different dealers (not all Toyota dealers). One was a Citroen/Volvo dealer. The other VW/Seat & the 3rd was Toyota/Lexus dealer.

So who gets the deal then? They were all in competition with each other back in the day.

The selling dealer....you dont. Thats why trade ins are to the penny the same amonst all dealers......how come? Its a Toyota sold as far as Toyota are concerned.

Sure they're all trying to be the selling dealer, you're saying they'll all give you the exact same price and whoever you think is nicest is who gets to sell you a car?

You do know that toyota don't own the dealerships right?

By the way, the same trade in rate was over different dealers (not all Toyota dealers). One was a Citroen/Volvo dealer. The other VW/Seat & the 3rd was Toyota/Lexus dealer.

Do you not find that bizzare... The accuracy of the trade in value not taking into account that cars can be sold for different prices throughout the country?

Do you not find that bizzare... The accuracy of the trade in value not taking into account that cars can be sold for different prices throughout the country?

They actually didn't start off with the same trade in value. I had to do a bit of haggling.
    The Toyota guys came up with the €5,000 from the start. The citroen started at €4,500 & then with haggling went up to 5. The VW guy started at €4,000. As I had already spoken to the others before I went to him, I was in a strong position. He went up to €4,500. I had to reveal my cards & show him what I got from the others. He then went up to €5,000.

It's actually as simple as the touran is worth feck all now in the trade, (€2500 or so) and the rest is discount they can give away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

It's actually as simple as the touran is worth feck all now in the trade, (€2500 or so) and the rest is discount they can give away.

Indeed, it's the oldest trick in the book, tell the customer that their car is worth 'more', it's amazing how many fall for this time and time again. It's the net cost to change that actually matters.

I'd agree.
    On Donedeal & carzone, similar cars are priced between 4k & 4.5K. With private sale the asking price is not necessarily what I'd eventually get for it. I'd be lucky if I got between 3.5 & 4K.
    For the dealer he'd probably try to sell it on for around 4.5k, which means he's probably valuing it at around 2.5k.

Indeed, it's the oldest trick in the book, tell the customer that their car is worth 'more', it's amazing how many fall for this time and time again. It's the net cost to change that actually matters.

If I were to sell it privately, i'd be lucky to get 3.5-4K. The way I look at it, I was planning on buying a new car anyway. I'm looking for the best deal/discount I can get. Whether they call it a discount, or call it a bigger trade in value, I don't care. What's important is how much am I actually gonna pay out of my pocket. A higher trade in value / discount means less money out of my pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭noelf

One option I would seriously get in a new car is the active cruise control, I just think how much easier it would make my commute and how many accidents it would reduce.
    That is one of the options I went for less than E200 plus sensors front and back. Op just after looking at the new 7 seater Nissan qashqai on line in Windsor galway nice spec for E31000 might be worth a look

Advertisement