Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Prius+ 7 seater

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭wtawfick

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

No, RedDeadMarshall doesn't have any good points. He just has rubbish to spout via his keyboard. Don't mind him.
    Also as said, you have a 1.6 2004 Touran, that engine is pants so you'll be happy with almost anything else you can get!

Agreed. The 1.6 Petrol on the Touran IS pants!!
    The only reason I didn't get rid of it sooner, was because I rarely drive it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,762 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

wtawfick wrote: »
    That's interesting to know. Throughout the winter on weekdays, my wife would be leaving 7:30-8:00am to drop off the kids & then go to work. I was under the impression that short distance runs is where I'd get the most fuel efficiency as it should use the electric component more (at low speeds) & also charge it more with the braking. Obviously now, I need to factor in that there won't be a huge fuel economy for those morning runs.

I had an Auris hybrid for a few weeks and could not get more than. ....46? mpg out of it. Lovely car, lovely as an automatic, but as you're finding out, if you want auto in a Toyota, then you haven't much choice these days other than a hybrid.

I would pick one over the VW you're looking at tbh.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

BMJD wrote: »
    Depends how short is short! A 5 or 6 minute drive in the cold weather, heat on etc., will see anywhere from 7 l/100km to over 10, it only really settles down after 8 - 10 minutes. It's the same in any non-EV car though, once you get warmed up and running you see the full benefit of the hybrid system.

I fully understand that it would be the same for any engine until it warms up.

Just out of interest, In a hybrid, would it be of any benefit to leave the car running (while parked) for a few minutes on a cold morning to warm it up? Or would that just defeat the purpose (as in I'll just end up wasting petrol while the car is still idle).

September1 wrote: »
    Plug in Prius is not 7 seater and if you are ok with 5 seats then EV will not only be most economical, but it will be preheated waiting to wife&children every morning.

Unfortunately 5 seats is not an option for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,433 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I fully understand that it would be the same for any engine until it warms up.

Just out of interest, In a hybrid, would it be of any benefit to leave the car running (while parked) for a few minutes on a cold morning to warm it up? Or would that just defeat the purpose (as in I'll just end up wasting petrol while the car is still idle).

The Prius would run the engine to heat it up but it has a thermos style canister that coolant is kept hot in and it pumps this through the engine. It doesn't take long for a Prius to warm up.
    You'll have battery assistance too.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The Prius would run the engine to heat it up but it has a thermos style canister that coolant is kept hot in and it pumps this through the engine. It doesn't take long for a Prius to warm up.

I think the U.S version is the only one that has the flask.

noelf wrote: »
    You should be able to get a Volkswagen on 1.9 pcp till the end of march . I'm going for a new golf highline 1.6 tdi plus free servicing till it reaches 60000 km
    Western motors allways more expensive I went to commons cars in navan much better trade in value . oh if you want a change from touran the passat is 0.9 pcp estate perhaps ????

I rang Commons in Navan & spoke to David Nolan. There only seems to be the same APR across all VW dealerships. The 1.9% was only for the Highline trim. That's only in the Golf, Passat & Jetta. Not available on the Touran.

In the end I couldn't get a more competitive deal from them, than what I got in Western Motors.

When you say "run the engine", does that mean run the Petrol component of the engine?

When you say "run the engine", does that mean run the Petrol component of the engine?

The engine has to warm up to warm the interior of the car and to warm the cat for emissions reasons.

If you want to speed up engine shut down then get heated seats and turn down the heat and the engine will run a lot less.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,762 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

You don't get a choice - the computer decides if and when it runs. You can't force it.

+1 on heated seats btw. I wouldn't have a car without them now.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

Yes, it brings it up to temp if its cold when you turn it on. No option to run on electricity only first thing in the morning, (at least that's the case on the 04> Prius anyway)

The engine has to warm up to warm the interior of the car and to warm the cat for emissions reasons.

If you want to speed up engine shut down then get heated seats and turn down the heat and the engine will run a lot less.
    galwaytt wrote: »
    You don't get a choice - the computer decides if and when it runs. You can't force it.

+1 on heated seats btw. I wouldn't have a car without them now.
    Yes, it brings it up to temp if its cold when you turn it on. No option to run on electricity only first thing in the morning, (at least that's the case on the 04> Prius anyway)

This is all great info. I really appreciate your help.

This thread is moving faster than I can keep up, I'm sooooo busy at work.

OP one solution is wait for a plug in version of a 7 seater, there will be a lot more coming in the next 2-3 years.

Convert the Touran to LPG, and wait for a decent plug in or full electric 7 seater ?

The prius can hit a limited speed of 185 kph and can do this pretty comfortably.

The hybrid works best at slower speeds , obviously, but when you need the poke power comes from the motor and battery and also the generator. The motor provides the torque so this is why you can get away with a 75 hp engine.

Cruise control while comfortable is not as efficient as a steady throttle position, the downside of this is that the car will slow down , but if you can tolerate a little reduction on speed it is more efficient.

Forget about what you hear any car will do on the motorway, in reality it's what you get per tank that matters most. The prius may not be the most efficient on the motorway but it makes up for it off it, The opposite is true for diesels, they are more efficient on the motorway but the mpg drops in town.

I've given examples of my mpg, but not 1 has given proof of theirs, only "I get xx on the Motorway crap"

Well here's a good example of what I get and I can provide a picture every week if people really want me to resort to that. Granted in winter this will go to about 4.6-4.8 this is the MK II.

20120601_211847.jpg

So while the most modern of diesels will be better than this, they will usually be smaller, less powerful and manual the prius MK II uses 11 year old technology.

I can't comment for the Prius + but the MK II does blow about in strong wind, nothing dangerous but not as bad as the crv tbh. Probably all cars blow about, some more than others.

I think the U.S version is the only one that has the flask.

I think your car should have this

I think your car should have this

No def think it's the U.S version only (maybe Canadian too ) from reading the priuschat forums.

No def think it's the U.S version only (maybe Canadian too ) from reading the priuschat forums.

Oops. That's one of the selling points we used to use....

lyfd.png

Def not on the euro Prius (this is Canadian)

Oops. That's one of the selling points we used to use....

You're a Toyota dealer ?

I stand to be corrected of course but I'm 99.9% sure it doesn't. The MK II that is.

The MK III has a very fast warm up because it steals exhaust heat and uses it to warm the coolant !

Was, not any more though :)

I can't comment for the Prius + but the MK II does blow about in strong wind, nothing dangerous but not as bad as the crv tbh. Probably all cars blow about, some more than others.

All cars to some extent will blow about in strong wind. Even my S Type in a heavy gust would blow about. As long as it's acceptable, I'd be fine with that. My main concern was if the car was too light to feel stable on the road. (I've only driven Jags & German cars. Haven't had a Japanese car before, so don't know how they are on the open road).

• Advertisement

I rang Des Hughes Motors in Portlaoise (as mentioned yesterday), to see what sort of a deal I could get on the Prius+. They still haven’t got back to me with a final pricing. They did however say that yes they are on a discount offer until the end of February.

My dealings with all 3 dealers today (by the way, all three valued my current Touran at the exact same figure €5,000):

I went to the Citroen Dealer. Test drove the C4 Grand Picasso Exclusive 2.0 turbo diesel full automatic. It definitely drives better than the 1.6 diesel Semi-automatic. This has a rea-view camera & sat-nav. No panoramic sunroof though. (That would cost an extra €900). No leather seats either. No head up display.
    This however was quickly disqualified. Still feels cheap despite the higher specs on this trim. Above that, it was still pretty expensive. €36,000. Taking into account the PCP method of payment. They had the highest monthly repayments. Over the course of the 3 years I will end up paying €1,250 more than the Prius+.

I then went to the Toyota dealer. Their price on the road for the Prius+ with metallic paint is €36,000. As mentioned earlier, over the course of the 3 years I’ll pay €1,250 less than the Grand Picasso. If I factor in the final payment of GFV (Guaranteed final value) both cars actually are the exact same price. (To be accurate, there is a 70 cent difference!!).
    This already has a rear-view camera, Panoramic sunroof & head up display. No sat-nav. This car has cloth seats.
    In order to sweeten the deal, they’ll change the seats to leather. I asked them to disable the annoying continuous beep when the reverse gear is engaged & the rear-view camera is on. They said they’ll look into that. They’ll add parking sensors as well (on top of the existing rear view camera). These have been added in with no extra cost to me.

I then went to the VW guys. Their price on the road for the Touran 1.6 TDI DSG automatic with metallic paint is €38,000. Despite being the most expensive, yet with their 3.9% APR they end up being the cheapest. It’ll cost €1,007 less than the Prius+ over the course of the 3 years. After adding the GFV, it will actually end up being €213 cheaper than the Prius+. The annual road tax will be €100 extra on the Touran. So all in all, we are talking of a difference of €700 over the course of the 3 years & if I were to pay the final GFV, there would be no differemce in price.
    This car only has parking sensors. No rear view camera. No sat nav. No Leather seats. No panoramic sunroof. No head up display.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭RedDeadMarshal

so what now? I think you should go for the Toyota I guess. It's just me but if you're old skool like me and a good driver you wouldn't need no cameras or displays. I know it's your wife who will be driving but I don't think she will mind having no displays and stuff. What car are you coming from anyway?

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

No, RedDeadMarshall doesn't have any good points. He just has rubbish to spout via his keyboard. Don't mind him.
    Also as said, you have a 1.6 2004 Touran, that engine is pants so you'll be happy with almost anything else you can get!

Pants? why? have you driven one? it's no pump duse 1.9 tdi but it still has pull you just don't feel it it's very refined. I once even mistaken it for a 1.9. It's a good engine and I think you are just butt hurt because I was bashing the (citroen) I'm sorry but when I was buying my tdi everybody told me to stay away but guess what? I didn't and now I blow almost anything off the road. The only problem you might have is the clutch since the touran is based on the caddy (correct)? so it might have a problem with the clutch. I am really hoping you are not going to brainwash the op with your citroen stuff. Happy with almost anything? I guess you would even recommend him a bicycle.

The ops touran is 1.6 petrol. With an autobox strapped on.

The ops touran is 1.6 petrol. With an autobox strapped on.

well that's a banana. Completely different to a 1.6 TDI.

My dealings with all 3 dealers today (by the way, all three valued my current Touran at the exact same figure €5,000):

I went to the Citroen Dealer. Test drove the C4 Grand Picasso Exclusive 2.0 turbo diesel full automatic. It definitely drives better than the 1.6 diesel Semi-automatic. This has a rea-view camera & sat-nav. No panoramic sunroof though. (That would cost an extra €900). No leather seats either. No head up display.
    This however was quickly disqualified. Still feels cheap despite the higher specs on this trim. Above that, it was still pretty expensive. €36,000. Taking into account the PCP method of payment. They had the highest monthly repayments. Over the course of the 3 years I will end up paying €1,250 more than the Prius+.

I then went to the Toyota dealer. Their price on the road for the Prius+ with metallic paint is €36,000. As mentioned earlier, over the course of the 3 years I’ll pay €1,250 less than the Grand Picasso. If I factor in the final payment of GFV (Guaranteed final value) both cars actually are the exact same price. (To be accurate, there is a 70 cent difference!!).
    This already has a rear-view camera, Panoramic sunroof & head up display. No sat-nav. This car has cloth seats.
    In order to sweeten the deal, they’ll change the seats to leather. I asked them to disable the annoying continuous beep when the reverse gear is engaged & the rear-view camera is on. They said they’ll look into that. They’ll add parking sensors as well (on top of the existing rear view camera). These have been added in with no extra cost to me.

I then went to the VW guys. Their price on the road for the Touran 1.6 TDI DSG automatic with metallic paint is €38,000. Despite being the most expensive, yet with their 3.9% APR they end up being the cheapest. It’ll cost €1,007 less than the Prius+ over the course of the 3 years. After adding the GFV, it will actually end up being €213 cheaper than the Prius+. The annual road tax will be €100 extra on the Touran. So all in all, we are talking of a difference of €700 over the course of the 3 years & if I were to pay the final GFV, there would be no differemce in price.
    This car only has parking sensors. No rear view camera. No sat nav. No Leather seats. No panoramic sunroof. No head up display.

So what will it cost you over the 3 years ? I know it might vary with the mileage and condition.

But it's what it will cost you in the 3 years is what's important because that's what you'll actually pay !

After the 3 years there should be a plug in version, maybe even fully electric.

I know I wouldn't pay 38K for a 1.6 tdi VW of any kind, though the total cost is what you pay in the 3 years I suppose.

One option I would seriously get in a new car is the active cruise control, I just think how much easier it would make my commute and how many accidents it would reduce.

so what now? I think you should go for the Toyota I guess. It's just me but if you're old skool like me and a good driver you wouldn't need no cameras or displays. I know it's your wife who will be driving but I don't think she will mind having no displays and stuff. What car are you coming from anyway?

I definitely don't care for cameras or displays. My own car has parking sensors, which I disable most of the time. I like to park as close as I can see. At that stage the sensors would be screaming, trying to get me to stop. It gets on my nerves.

They're mainly for the wife. She has parking sensors on her current Touran, so she got used to them.

• Advertisement

One option I would seriously get in a new car is the active cruise control, I just think how much easier it would make my commute and how many accidents it would reduce.

Not sure if the cruise control on the Prius+ is active or just the standard cruise control.
    I've been told by 2 Toyota dealers that the Prius+ only comes in one Trim. You could change the cloth colour, or upgrade to leather. You could add a sat nav (the display & buttons are there, but you need to buy the CD for around €1,000 which gives 3 years of map updates). Don't think the sat nav is worth it. I already have google maps on my phone which is more than enough.
    I don't think the type of cruise control is something I could upgrade (as it is something that should be embedded into the whole system. For active cruise control, this will involve the breaks & throttle & not just maintaining a fixed speed). I'm not an engineer. Just guessing. Might be wrong. Won't be any harm in asking them though.
    In the UK they seem to have two trims, T4 & T Spirit. Here it's just Prius+.

Advertisement