Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parts of city flooded

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭leakyboots

It's the Herald so probably bull. Be nice if it was true though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭source

There's a good bit of it that is true, the main gist of the story is speculation on what has probably happened to their stash if it was there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Yes. Thered be some truth in it. That plus all the moola tucked under floorboardd etc.etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

I see Jack Fitzgerald Electrical are offering the free use of Dehumidifiers to flood victims. Fair play to them, they probably could have made a ball of cash from it.
    1011767_711874985512364_1069843202_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

If this keeps up the whole city will be under water again tomorrow lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

I see Jack Fitzgerald Electrical are offering the free use of Dehumidifiers to flood victims. Fair play to them, they probably could have made a ball of cash from it.[/IMG]

Cue announcement from the council saying they found the solution!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

What is with all the blaming of the ESB that I'm seeing on my facebook feed? I don't think they bear responsibility for this, the rain was heavy, the tides were very unusually high and the banks of the river were too waterlogged from rain to have any drainage. All you have to do is look at Banagher, upriver from Ardnacrusha, to see that this flooding is an 'act of god' as opposed to caused by the ESB.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I wonder if the canal between Plassey and the Abbey was better dredged with operational gates would it have helped reduce the amount of flooding on the island!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

I wonder if the canal between Plassey and the Abbey was better dredged with operational gates would it have helped reduce the amount of flooding on the island!

Wouldn't have helped even a little bit. That canal would not have been able to channel the ~700 cubic metres of water per second flowing through the Shannon system at that point. Because the river is tidal at that point, the water level would not be affected by dredging the floor of the water channels - the tide level will be the same height. Even if it were possible to have the canal act as a river channel with lock gates open at both ends, the volume that could be pushed down that channel would not make a significant difference to the water level in the Abbey river channel - and even if it could, the water would likely have flowed up the Abbey anyway from Ballsbridge.

I know there are some more complex factors at work here, but the simplification is valid enough.

The main cause of the water level height was the combination of a high spring tide + storm surge. The storm surge was pushed ahead of the weather system and got higher due to the shape of the estuary downstream. These, on top of the water volume passing the city centre is why the water level was as high as it was.

Advertisement