Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parts of city flooded

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

More a case of entrepreneurism maybe. Also heard a few enterprising spirits were doing it in thomondgate etc.

Anyone who has stuff they may like to donate towards the flood victims can join this facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/828724907153107/

1560624_1439459966286216_1831550569_n.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

YFlyer wrote: »
    I think they usually cancel races if there are any flooded patches on the route.

Did that go ahead today?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

An File wrote: »
    Did that go ahead today?

Yes. The turnout was not as good as the St. Stephens Day usual. Martin Doody Limerick AC won.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

padma wrote: »
    1560624_1439459966286216_1831550569_n.jpg

Is that city hall?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,137 ✭✭✭✭phog

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Is that city hall?

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

phog wrote: »
    Yes

Wow when's the last time that happened if ever.

years ago i remember when they wanted to charge for the bins, people dumped their rubbish outside city hall, now they want to charge for water and look what happens :) :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

I don't think limerick has flooded that bad since they built the dam! The Island field would flood regular enough though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I saw a video yesterday where a digger dug a hole in the bank and the water was pouring out of st Mary's park rather than in so looks like once the water got in it was trapped.

Let's hope those with privately owned homes have insurance to cover the, no doubt, significant losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dodohert

Some claim ESB water management may have contributed to Limericks unprecedented floods

http://oldrivershannon.com/2014/02/01/limerick-city-flooding/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

The corporation houses will be looked after, the private people may not be so lucky as many couldn't get insurance. Great country we live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Christmas 1951. I kid you not. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dodohert

Rightwing wrote: »
    The corporation houses will be looked after, the private people may not be so lucky as many couldn't get insurance. Great country we live in.

Right on...have a mate who's parent live down there they bought their house from corpo years ago let's just say home insurance quotes were by no means conservative.
    I hope gov helps these ppl too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Has anyone heard of any problems with the drinking water? I haven't but I've been cautions about it in recent days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

It's not that often that the peak of the astronomical high tide coincides with a low low pressure area, with a large and sustained windfield to surge water ahead of itself in a particular direction, at a time when the river is already close to peak capacity. Each of those elements has happened in smaller combinations in the past with associated flooding e.g. as in 2009.

To be honest, the ESB are damned if they do and damned if they don't. Given the volume of water in the Shannon catchment area for the past month or so, all of the leeway that was designed into the water management systems is used in minimising the flooding along the Shannon already. There comes a point when the flooding becomes absolutely inevitable, and a decision has to be made where to allow to flood. It's simply not possible to avoid a flood when there is that much water flooding Lough Derg, when combined with the the weather and tide conditions of Saturday morning.

There's somewhere in the region of 600-700 cumecs of water coming from Lough Derg to Parteen Weir at the moment, and has been since the beginning of January. Ardnacrusha can only handle 400 cumecs of that when working at 100%, and the rest has to be diverted down via the old watercourse. Lough Derg cannot be allowed to raise too far or the dam at Parteen Weir may get compromised and if that happens then there are a lot more people affected than just in Limerick City, and the loss of the ability to control the flooding.

Over the past month or so, there has been a continued attempt to allow the floodwaters to exit the Shannon basin, by flowing as much water as possible without flooding en route. Unfortunately with the rainfall that we have had, even with this best effort, the water volumes are too great to pass without flooding. There reaches a point with the Ardnacrusha canal where it never gets the opportunity to empty, as allowing that to happen means that there is maybe 700 cumecs (nearly 3 times the current flow down the old watercourse) coming down past Corbally and that would have flooded to the same or higher as what happened on Saturday even without the tide. As the Ardnacrusha canal can't empty, it is no longer available as a significant buffer for the floodwaters coming down the Shannon.

To my knowledge, the ESB had stopped water flow through the turbines coming to the peak of the high tide, but the tide and wind surge were enough on their own to flood, and the length of time that the flood was present meant that when the buffer capacity was exceeded and the release had to go ahead, that there was still a flood going to happen. As far as I can see the actions of the ESB traded a lower absolute flood height for an extended length of time at a lower flood height. As it is Limerick has been very lucky to have the ESB available to minimise the flood chances already this past month.

It's a bit of a sophie's choice/catch 22.

And no, building a lake in the bog would have made zero difference in this case as that would have been already past full given the length of time it's been flooding already. The Shannon basin is beyond saturated.

Rightwing wrote: »

From Maurice Quinlivan cllr SF.

Press release I put out calling for: A "straight answer" from Minister O'Sullivan on those who have no flood insurance.

Limerick Sinn Féin Councillor Maurice Quinlivan has demanded that Minister Jan O'Sullivan states clearly what are the governments plans for flood victims who have no insurance.

I was disappointed at the performance of Minister Jan O'Sullivan on RTE Primetime last night. She was asked several times if people who had no insurance would get help from the government. Each time she avoided giving a straight answer. She was also asked what the government would do for those whose homes were now uninsurable but again she did not shed any light on this. It was virtaually impossible for people in the whole Kings Island area to get insurance that would cover flooding.

Many viewers would have concluded that Minister O'Sullivan was merely bluffing and had not seriously considered what needs to happen to help the flood victims going forward. Limerick's flood victims need a straight answer from the minister."

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I wonder what Quinlivan's thoughts on insurance are?

I'm sure he sees it the way everybody else sees it. A necessary burden and at times like these it would come in fair handy.

• Advertisement

We had the disaster and the various agencies & the community rallying to help now we have the politics. Unfortunately somethings never change.

In fairness to Maurice he was on the ground all weekend and is deeply involved with the community in St Mary's park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

So are the keanes, but I won't be inviting them round for dinner...

In fairness to Maurice he was on the ground all weekend and is deeply involved with the community in St Mary's park.

I wasn't just targeting him in my post but he too is making a political football of the situation.

It is a political matter when it comes down to allocation of funds to those who need it. If he just sat there I would be disappointed. He has challenged various members of the council and government on this matter. And rightly so, for if he didn't what would become of the relief effort?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

phog wrote: »
    I wasn't just targeting him in my post but he too is making a political football of the situation.

What do you expect him to do? If he wasn't out making comments and demanding answers people would be saying he was doing nothing. Working away quietly in background, won't get you very far as a politician.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

Probably handing out northern bank notes by way of compensation.

what a silly response to one of Limerick cities hardest working councillors.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

any truth to this??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

fryup wrote: »
    any truth to this??

Damp cocaine for all!

Advertisement