Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parts of city flooded

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

In fairness, the Galway racing festival is probably more well known and it's usually in decent enough weather, so would make better coverage than the Limerick one.

But you do have a point about media coverage. If it doesn't involve crime, Dublin based media probably don't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

It is typical, the Irish media pursue a particular narrative when it comes to Limerick (a particularly nasty negative one) and any story that does not reinforce that narrative doesn't really interest them, which is why 95% of the time when you see Cathy O'Halloran on TV it is a negative narrative.

This week, the events at our ticket master outlet made the front page of some national newspapers, ridiculous doesn't begin to describe it.

The sooner Limerick people cop onto that narrative the sooner you will realise why half the country is terrified of setting foot in Limerick, why it is harder to attract investment etc etc, also why we face insults every where we go.

Galway receives the mirror opposite (compare coverage of the Galway Racing festival to Limericks Christmas Racing festival)

Just cause we are paranoid does not mean they are not after us.

I know this is of no comfort to the people who have been affected by today's floods, I just felt it important to keep highlighting this narrative

Agree with all of this, we should start a new thread about RTE's role in Limerick. A very important role which is mis-used and needs new direction. On top of this there is a need for a civil disobedience on the issue of the broadcast charge. The flooding is pretty dire in places, symapathy to those affected by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

phog wrote: »
    From Sean Curtain Photography

http://vimeo.com/85599012

that's desperate bad damage, I wonder how many homes are flooded and how many people are affected

75956_10151817866711734_752910542_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Living in Galway and I have to say I was shocked by how little coverage the flooding in Limerick has been given today by RTE, people rescued from their homes and serious flooding in the City but as far as RTE are concerned it never happened, Galway seemed to get all the coverage today while flooding is terrible for anyone it seems to have been worst in Limerick and should have been covered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

I've just been phoned by a mate living in the city centre, he heard that there are portions of the Island Field being evacuated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭source

Popoutman wrote: »
    I've just been phoned by a mate living in the city centre, he heard that there are portions of the Island Field being evacuated.

Yup check out the link posted by phog

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Aerohead wrote: »
    Living in Galway and I have to say I was shocked by how little coverage the flooding in Limerick has been given today by RTE, people rescued from their homes and serious flooding in the City but as far as RTE are concerned it never happened, Galway seemed to get all the coverage today while flooding is terrible for anyone it seems to have been worst in Limerick and should have been covered.
    But of course GAlway is the real city of culture according to the DOnnbrook crowd , god forbid if those macnas papier mâché heads got wet , what would the whole country do for culture then , haven t lived in limerick for 28 yrs but still annoyed by the attitude towards LImerick , but lets remain magnanimous and dignified above all their crassness , hope everyone is ok in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

Oops69 wrote: »
    But of course GAlway is the real city of culture according to the DOnnbrook crowd , god forbid if those macnas papier mâché heads got wet , what would the whole country do for culture then , haven t lived in limerick for 28 yrs but still annoyed by the attitude towards Limerick , but lets remain magnanimous and dignified above all their crassness , hope everyone is ok in Limerick.

Don't want to come across too devil's advocate but there hasn't been too much flooding here recently and RTE just haven't been set up to report on Limerick, especially on a Saturday morning.

Sky News do have a flooding agenda in their news at the moment and would have been trawling social media to add to this. They also have a 24/7 news channel to drive, RTE don't.

I think/hope it is more a reflection on RTE's ability than on any RTE agenda regarding Limerick. Its a shame that we've had to comment on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

sumtings wrote: »
    Don't want to come across too devil's advocate but there hasn't been too much flooding here recently and RTE just haven't been set up to report on Limerick, especially on a Saturday morning.

Sky News do have a flooding agenda in their news at the moment and would have been trawling social media to add to this. They also have a 24/7 news channel to drive, RTE don't.

I think/hope it is more a reflection on RTE's ability than on any RTE agenda regarding Limerick. Its a shame that we've had to comment on it.

Ironically the last flooding this city got was four weeks ago when the Irish media including RTE flooded the city to cover a storm in a teacup.

They had no problems setting up cameras then.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Ironically the last flooding this city got was four weeks ago when the Irish media including RTE flooded the city to cover a storm in a teacup.

They had no problems setting up cameras then.

Maybe they were all covering the stabbings?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

phog wrote: »
    From Sean Curtain Photography

http://vimeo.com/85599012

Lol at 1.10secs. Flood or no flood, those girls ain't getting out of their pyjamas :rolleyes:

from Maurice Quinlivans page.

Statement form City Council ....... (This is from the Council
    NOT ME! )

MEDIA STATEMENT

The three principal response agencies, Limerick City and County Council, HSE and An Garda Siochana are co-ordinating the response to the severe flood emergency which occurred overnight in Limerick City and County.

Limerick City and County Council yesterday prepared for the severe weather forecast and implemented planning for areas vulnerable to flooding in the city and county. Over the last couple of days flood defences were put in place in areas that were most at risk from flooding.

The Council had crews out last night monitoring the situation, and again this morning but an unprecedented high tide this morning exacerbated by high winds overwhelmed the defences. Fire Services from Limerick and Clare are responding since 6am. In addition other agencies are also assisting including Defence Forces, Limerick Marine Search and rescue, Civil Defence and Irish Red Cross.

At this stage most roads have reopened, however the Council would advise road users to exercise caution. Pumping of flood waters in worst affected areas is continuing.

The Fire Service and Ambulance Service have rescued a number of vulnerable people from their homes. The need to evacuate people from their homes is being reviewed on a continual basis. Saint Munchins Community Centre Killeely has been established as a Centre to care for people evacuated.

Assisting vulnerable persons in the Island Field/Saint Mary's Park Area is an on-going priority. We would urge any persons who require assistance to make themselves known to the emergency services who are at the site as soon as possible so that assistance can be provided.

Water levels in the worst affected area remain at a very high level.

The city will be at risk from flooding at high tide until at least Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

The Island Field (St. Mary's Park) is living up to its name.

The second photo is pretty scarry! :eek:

BfZun13CEAA6B6t.jpg:large

BfZUotkIcAA8KDG.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Where is the free sand/sandbags ?. Told to go the absolute hotel. They knew nothing about it ? Then told to go to St. Mary's cathedral. None there ?

Did ArdNaCrusha release their water again ? And if so, why no advance warning. Or was it the high levels or rainfall and the tide which caused the river to burst it's banks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Hi lads , I'm a student teacher from Mary I and I'm supposed to be on school placement in Scoil Mhathair De( south circular road, across the way from old entrance to Mary I). Does anyone know if that area ha been affected by the flooding?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭source

buyer95 wrote: »
    Hi lads , I'm a student teacher from Mary I and I'm supposed to be on school placement in Scoil Mhathair De( south circular road, across the way from old entrance to Mary I). Does anyone know if that area ha been affected by the flooding?

It's fine up here, we're lucky to be up on a height.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Long pavement, corbally and most areas around city are fine now.

After Corbally bridge was closed off up to 2 hours ago. And Island field is very bad. Just heading up there now to help out if I can.

I am very annoyed people were told too late they could avail of free sandbags and when they went to the location to collect them, the people there knew nothing about it. I hope there is some questions asked about this. Total ineptitude it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Flaccus wrote: »
    Where is the free sand/sandbags ?. Told to go the absolute hotel. They knew nothing about it ? Then told to go to St. Mary's cathedral. None there ?

Did ArdNaCrusha release their water again ? And if so, why no advance warning. Or was it the high levels or rainfall and the tide which caused the river to burst it's banks ?

Ardnacrusha has been on full time release since before Christmas to try and alleviate the floods in the midlands. They've been dumping as much water as possible down the canal and also down the River Shannon from Parteen Weir which combined with the huge tides and wind is causing this mess.

For those asking where Cathy Halloran is, as far as I know she's on holidays and they have nobody else in the area to cover the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ZomB13 F1Sh

Any truth in the rumour the council are charging for sandbags?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭clarbar

Any truth in the rumour the council are charging for sandbags?

My family live in St Marys park there charging €10 a bag , few are staying put too many rumours of looting going to happen tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ZomB13 F1Sh

clarbar wrote: »
    My family live in St Marys park there charging €10 a bag , few are staying put too many rumours of looting going to happen tonight

Sorry to hear! Is it the council charging €10 or a company?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭clarbar

Sorry to hear! Is it the council charging €10 or a company?

Council from what people are saying but not sure they were free earlier but are in short demand so there charging everyone now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

A video I made of the floods today.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,137 ✭✭✭✭phog

clarbar wrote: »
    Council from what people are saying but not sure they were free earlier but are in short demand so there charging everyone now

The council certainly weren't charging for sand bags.

Individuals may have got them free and then charged when they delivered them to households, if they did l hope they roast in hell.

It was confirmed 100% the council were NOT charging. The brick yard was going around door to door selling for 4 quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

My heart breaks for everyone affected by this. Well done to Limerick Search & Rescue as always - an amazing bunch of volunteers.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

Fair play to all volunteers today.... The red cross, order of Malta and civil defence etc

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Fair play to all volunteers today.... The red cross, order of Malta and civil defence etc

& the local Community who helped each other today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

padma wrote: »
    It was confirmed 100% the council were NOT charging. The brick yard was going around door to door selling for 4 quid.

wow. how pathetic is it that people try to make a few quid from the missery of others. why not give them out free if they are going to bother at all.

i dread to think what our city would be like if 9/11 happened here. probably people from the brick yard charging people stuck in the ruble 4 quid per brick they pick up.

community spirit

Advertisement